Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

1.10.2015 - Homicycle (2014)
2.10.2015 - A Christmas Horror Story (2015)
3.10.2015 - It Follows (2014)
4.10.2015 - Insidious (2010)
5.10.2015 - 13 Sins (2014)
6.10.2015 - Shaun Of The Dead (2004)
7.10.2015 - Always Watching - A Marble Hornets Story (2015)
8.10.2015 - The Hitcher (1986)
9.10.2015 - Into The Grizzly Maze (2015)
10.10.2015 - Let Us Prey (2014)
11.10.2015 - Last Shift (2014)
12.10.2015 - Backcountry (2014)
13.10.2015 - Burnt Offerings (1976)
14.10.2015 - FPS - First Person Shooter (2014)

15.10.2015 - Preservation (2014)

Two men and a woman go out camping and have to fight for their lives against highly competent, extremely motivated killers hunting them down. Having the action take place almost exclusively in daytime and good lighting is an unorthodox choice, but the pacing is terrible and the characters unlikeable. And the twist is goddamn dumb. Wouldn't really recommend.

16.10.2015 - Scarecrows (1988)

A group of thieves steal a shitload of money and hijack a plane on their way to escape to Mexico. When one of the crooks doublecrosses the others and makes an impromptu exit with the money, the rest of the crew have to search for him in a creepy graveyard/farm, and do battle with the titular monsters. It's a low-budget affair that kind of plays fast and loose with the consistency and geography of the film. The monsters are good & creepy though.

17.10.2015 - Q - The Flying Serpent (1982)

A giant rubbery lizard dominates the skies of New York in a janky fashion and eats people. Aztec death cults and David Carradine also feature prominently. I loved this, warts and all. Some memorable characters & propwork (apart from the titular serpent) plus a premise that is quite unique in horror cinema.

18.10.2015 - Dark Was The Night (2014)

Small town sheriff investigates an evil entity that's come a-knocking around his neighbourhood. Great performance by Kevin Durand and a surprisingly slow & character-driven burn for what ends up as a creature feature in the end.

Entertaining people who do not watch horror for almost a week left a huge hole in my schedule, but we must make do. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grnegsnspm
Oct 20, 2003

This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarian 2: Electric Boogaloo
Day 23 - Teeth

Teeth is a movie that centers around the old myth of the vagina dentata or, as Deniro so succinctly put it in the classic Analyze That, a “pussy with teeth”. It’s the type of legend that shows up across multiple cultures and times because guys are apparently really afraid that women are going to rip their dicks off. It’s also a legend that’s supposed to keep men from sleeping with strange women and from rape. Apparently none of the men in this movie have heard of it, though, because every one of them in this movie is an uncontrollable sex monster. There is a lot to unpack in this film but the real horror isn't so much biting genitals as it is abstinence only education, rape culture, and the fetishization of female sexuality.

Full Review

4.5 out of 5

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had intended to rewatch Teeth this year and see how I feel about it on a second viewing. I think it shocked me too much for me to form a real opinion of its quality the first time through. But with how far behind I am I don't think I'll get there before the end of the month.

October Tally - New (Total)
- (1). Scream (1996) / 1 (2). Shocker (1989) / - (3). Grave Encounters (2011) / 2 (4). The Babadook (2014) / - (5). Beetlejuice (1989) / - (6). House on Haunted Hill (1999) / - (7). The Leprechaun (1993) / 3 (8). As Above, So Below (2014) / 4 (9). The Possession of Michael King (2014) / 5 (10). The Unborn (2009) / 6 (11). They (2002) / 7 (12). Devil's Due (2014) / 8 (13). Ouija (2014) / 9. (14) Oculus (2013) / 10 (15). Return to House on Haunted Hill (2007) / 11 (16). Haunter (2013) / 12 (17). The Lazarus Effect (2015) / 13 (18). Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (2014) / - (19). The Frighteners (1996) / 14 (20). The Loved Ones (2009) / 15 (21). The Shrine (2010) / - (22). Grave Encounters 2 (2012) / 16 (23). The Pact (2012) / 17 (24). The Ouija Experiment (2011) / 18 (25). Pontypool (2008) / 19 (26). The Honeymoon (2014)

20 (27). Treehouse (2014) - When children go missing in a small town two teenage brothers stumble on a treehouse in the woods where one of the missing girls is hiding from unseen monsters in the woods who took her brother.

I was actually kind of hyped for this from the trailer and for the first half of the film it was really living up to that. It has a great atmosphere and feel. It manages to capture a kind of classic 70s/80s horror vibe without being over the top about it the way homages and satires often are. Everything's just a little old fashioned, a little less colorful, a little timeless. It could kind of be any kids in any town in any time. And the fall forest setting leads to lots of dreary colors and fog that really helps set an eery feeling on the movie. When the brothers finally find Elizabeth, the treehouse, and the monsters you're well prepared to fear the creatures in the shadows.

Sadly I think took an uninteresting direction at some point. I won't say I was surprised by it but I was disappointed. Even though I did say that people being scarier than the supernatural was something I enjoyed earlier it just felt like a letdown here. And the very ending of it was just unnecessarily hokey and silly. Its like for the first half of the film the movie did a really good job capturing classic horror without being derivative or hacky and then it crossed that line.

So it wasn't too surprising to me to do some reading on the film and learn that the director took someone else's script, kept the first half of the movie, and then entirely rewrote the second half. I really would have liked to see the original script made to film, or at least see what that original writer had planned. Because the rewrite didn't work for me at all.

3/5. Slightly better than the "half a good movie, half a bad one" I'd give it with a 2.5. This was half a good movie, half a forgettably mediocre one.

21 (28). Mine Games (2012) - You're usual group of pretty and not especially sympathetic college students go "camping" (if "camping" is staying in a cabin bigger and nicer than my home) and find an abandoned mine. But when they start exploring it they start discovering terrifying and unexplainable things that make them question where and WHEN they are.

I just don't like time travel stuff. I end up spending too much energy trying to understand the loops and paradoxes and never quite do. In this case the time travel stuff felt especially flimsy and I don't know... it felt weird that the horror of the story only really exists because of the loop because then how did it all start? I just don't understand this stuff. Michael 1 warned Michael 2 that his friends would turn on them and burned his anti-psychotics leading him to murder everyone, but who burned Michael 1's meds? Was there a Michael 0 because that doesn't seem to make sense with the other timeline stuff? From what I could tell Lyla 2 goes and warns Lyla 3, something Lyla 2 couldn't know because Lyla 1 died before she saw Joe 2's "Break The Cycle" message. I just don't get this stuff. I ended up feeling more interested in what happens/ed in Loop 1 and 3 than Loop 2 that we saw just so it would answer some of my questions.

2.5/5. I think there was an interesting idea in here somewhere but I don't know how to flesh it out into an interesting story and neither did the filmmakers. And of course a cliche movie otherwise of pretty, talentless actors in one dimensional roles with little to offer besides skin doesn't help elevate you above the mediocrity line. You're lucky you confused me enough to get that .5.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#21. The Babadook (2014). This was a pleasant surprise, and a rare (for me) instance of Netflix's estimated level of enjoyment being on-target. Big credit to the book's designer, as that did a ton of work in getting the creepiness working early. Some recent personal events gave the neurosis of and toward the kid an extra level of discomfort, but it would have been solid even without that. Good approximation of sleep deprivation with the channel-flipping montage (another crew member who deserves congratulations), and though the first two-thirds were so well-done that it had me worried about a disappointing ending, it stuck the landing without too much wobble. Good acting from the main kid, and the main actress really threw herself into the strain of her role. It kind of reminded me of Lovely Molly in the scenes where she was trying to hold it together while at work. All of the relationships were fairly believable, at least on first watch, and while the resolution was built on emotion, it didn't get too sappy, thankfully. Also the first movie in a long time to have me get goosebumps while going around turning off lights and checking locks for the night. 8/10.

#22. Rosso Sangue, a.k.a., Absurd, a.k.a., Horrible, a.k.a., Monster Hunter, a.k.a., The Grim Reaper 2, a.k.a., Anthropophagous 2, a.k.a., Zombie 6: Monster Hunter (1981). Even though not much was made of the 'gimmick' of the killer (his blood replenishes itself three times as fast as normal, making him recover from injuries, because a priest in a laboratory did... something. Also, his brain is really big.), it was a neat idea. The thing was, it didn't do much to separate him from your average hard-to-kill slasher villain in execution. Similarly, one character spends most of the movie strapped to a bed in a neck brace to correct a spinal disfigurement, but simply unstraps herself and walks around when she needs to get away. Lots of dubbed dialogue establishing how American the setting is ("You like football? American football, I mean.") added some amusement before things got violent (the face shoved into a gas oven and held there scene was probably the most gruesome). The ending twist just kind of happens without much lead-up, though I'll admit to being pretty drowsy towards the end, so I may have missed something hinting that an otherwise normal girl would decapitate a dude and then show his head to her parents. There were also some drastic shifts in video quality in a few of the scenes, though that didn't detract too much from the experience. 6/10.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCX1KexlU1s

Day 23 (or 8 more days to Halloween, Halloween, Halloween...) - I've only watched the original Paranormal Activity and I didn't care for it mainly due to the pacing. But I decided to give Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones a whirl. I don't think I need to watch any more of the series.

So there's these teenagers who record everything and after their neighbor mysteriously dies they investigate her place and find occult stuff. One of the teens wakes up with a bite mark on his arm which coincides with him getting some kind of sinister seeming super powers. And this is part of a conspiracy. And there's time travel. And frankly the movie doesn't make a lot of sense when you try to bring all the broken pieces together.

Time for the least original thing ever said: there's no reason for anyone to be shooting events like they do in this found footage movie. I wouldn't have even brought that obvious thing up except that I felt that the choices of how to shoot PA:TMO was actively detrimental to the writing and editing. There are a lot of scenes where it would have been better to have the camera turned on much later than it and bits of the movie that would make more sense if they were cut out entirely. "Why are they shooting this?" wouldn't have been such a problem if the film was better structured.

And that leads to complaint number two: these characters don't make a bit of sense. Setting aside demon infected kid because having a malignant supernatural force using you gives you a pass on inhuman behavior, everyone behaves specifically to advance the plot. Even when someone points out the obvious, sane response to events, that gets dismissed with "We can't do that!" with no justification given.

The best bits of the film were when the kids were playing around with the evil force. Those scenes had a natural kind of feel to them. But they also felt like they belonged to a different kind of movie since they didn't really have any menace to them.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Week 1: Travel
1. Unaware [1/10] | 2. Vinyan [8.5/10] | 3. Borderland [4/10] | 4. Calvaire [8/10] | 5. The Forest [2/10] | 6. Dead and Buried [7/10] | 7. The Visit [8/10]
Week 2: Creature
8. Altered [6/10] | 9. Aliens vs Predator [3/10] | 10. Aliens vs Predator: Requiem [4/10] | 11. The Cat (Lao Mao) 1992 [7/10] | 12. Dog Soldiers [5/10] | 13. Prophecy [5/10] | 14. Species [7/10]
Week 3: Technology
15. Skin I Live In [7/10] | Brainscan [3/10] | 17. Virus [6/10] | 18. Tetsuo 2 [5/10] | 19. Tetsuo 3 [3/10] | 20. Hellevator [1/10] | 21. Pulse [7/10]

Week 4: Slasher

22. Nightmare on Elm Street 2
Freddy | Homosexual Undertones

I ended up liking this film much more than I thought I would. Don't want to repeat what's already been said about the homosexuality. It doesn't come close to the original as far as the creativity of the dream sequences, but this one's got really jaunty pacing and lots of energy. 7/10

23. Driller Killer
Abel Ferrara | Art is Pretentious

This is a film that wants you to stop watching it. The acting, editing, and overall lo-fi griminess of this one really gets under your skin after awhile, a worthy attempt to put you in the mind of the Driller Killer, played annoyingly by Ferrara himself. This film gets across Ferrara's annoyance at artsy people, and there's some subtext here that people like this prey on people of poverty or something. I'm...not very smart. It's not as good as Maniac or any of the other Ferrara films I've seen thus far, but, for making me feel some type of way and for the actual kills, I liked it. 6.5/10

24. Hatchet for the Honeymoon
Mario Bava | Giallo

I haven't seen too many Italian slashers (yet). I think out of the Bava films I've seen so far it's a bit tame - the story isn't as out there, and he's not doing any weird kaleidoscope colors or anything. It's similar to Driller Killer and Maniac in that it tries to get you in the headspace of the killer. It's moderately entertaining, but I probably would have liked it more if I wasn't expecting something as good as Black Sunday or as out there as Kill Baby Kill. Much more reserved. 6/10

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
45. Bug (2006)

Agnes is a tortured woman. She lives in a rented unit in a roadside hotel. She works as a bartender at a honky tonk. And she's just basically drinking and snorting her life away not caring. She lost her child to a kidnapper when he was young. Her ex-husband Jerry just got out of jail and has started harassing her again. Her sometimes girlfriend RC introduces her to Peter, a shy quiet drifter, and they find themselves drawn together as a couple. Peter, staying with Agnes, starts complaining about bugs and bites, then Agnes begins feeling them too. The longer they stay together the more his fear and insistence on being infested with the creatures, and having been subject to military experiments to create such a terrible mindset become stronger and more alarming and all-consuming, sweeping up Agnes along the way, forcing her to believe it all, and the pair slowly spiral down further and further into the paranoia rabbit hole.

Wow. This movie shocked me, and I was NOT expecting what I got. William Friedkin masterfully directs this adaptation of a play, with a small cast and almost entirely a single set. If I can get real for a moment, I find often in my life I'm drawn to damaged or troubled people for whatever reason. I try to be a bright spot in their life. So as it stands, I think I've met more than a few people like Peter and Agnes, only a soft push or two away from becoming like them. Of course, Peter's schizophrenia and Agnes' cocaine addiction clearly feed each other's derangements and morgellons syndromes (believing your body is infested with bugs is a very real syndrome, one often associated with the tinfoil hat crowd) and cause this inevitability. But still, this is a VERY real horror experience, and one far too easy to become victim to. The people I watched it with claimed it was a dark comedy afterwards, but there was nothing funny about this film to me.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

46. The Conjuring (2013)

Based on a real life case of Ed and Lorraine Warren, the rather large Perron family move into a new home and find it to be haunted by a demonic force. They eventually meet and hire the Warrens to save them.

Sorry for the brief synopsis, but I really didn't enjoy this film. First off there's the scam artist notoriety the Warrens have, and the attempt by James Wan and Warner Bros to use them as a basis of a shared universe Marvel-esque series of films is disgusting. Second, so much of this film feels like paint-by-numbers of what Mainstream-Hollywood assumes is successful for horror anymore, when the real secret is the famine nature at present of mainstream see-in-the-theater horror is such that bored teenagers will go see anything that seems even scary related. Despite having a lot of action setpieces, the entire film felt dull and uninspired. Despite trying to capture a 70s documentary feel, the shakey high def camera ruins it, and all props feel like modern recreations of what they were trying to show. Hell the mundane house is filled with just obvious enough cg color touch ups to make everything feel artificial. If I had to pick a word to describe the film, it's "manufactured". There's no heart or effort here, just a quick buck churner. It's not actively awful, just dull and unable to hold my attention. That's almost worse. Almost.

:spooky:/5

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Choco1980 posted:

46. The Conjuring (2013)

Based on a real life case of Ed and Lorraine Warren, the rather large Perron family move into a new home and find it to be haunted by a demonic force. They eventually meet and hire the Warrens to save them.

Sorry for the brief synopsis, but I really didn't enjoy this film. First off there's the scam artist notoriety the Warrens have, and the attempt by James Wan and Warner Bros to use them as a basis of a shared universe Marvel-esque series of films is disgusting. Second, so much of this film feels like paint-by-numbers of what Mainstream-Hollywood assumes is successful for horror anymore, when the real secret is the famine nature at present of mainstream see-in-the-theater horror is such that bored teenagers will go see anything that seems even scary related. Despite having a lot of action setpieces, the entire film felt dull and uninspired. Despite trying to capture a 70s documentary feel, the shakey high def camera ruins it, and all props feel like modern recreations of what they were trying to show. Hell the mundane house is filled with just obvious enough cg color touch ups to make everything feel artificial. If I had to pick a word to describe the film, it's "manufactured". There's no heart or effort here, just a quick buck churner. It's not actively awful, just dull and unable to hold my attention. That's almost worse. Almost.

I'm always surprised to hear people talking up The Conjuring like it's one of the best horror films they've ever seen. I'm not quite as down on the movie as you are, but it left me pretty cold.

It's pretty well executed for what it is, but it's still just one of a million house possession movies of the kind that flooded the market in the 70s and 80s following the success of Amityville and Poltergeist. And even in that very specific niche I wouldn't say that it deserves a place of recognition.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
#104.Frightmare (1983). A bunch of young adults steal the body of a recently deceased actor only to have his body come back to life.

Eh, this was underwhelming. So apparently the actor is had magic powers, using them to kill people in very underwhelming ways. There just wasn't much of anything going on in this movie.

#105.Incubus (1981). Women are being viciously raped. The police can't find the culprits. They think it's a group of people committing these acts while a doctor thinks it's one man.

This movie is full of rape. Women are usually killed by the assailant. The movie ends up being a murder mystery while a character thinks he is doing it while sleeping. All in all, it's a strange flick. There is a certain amount of apathy from the people who should care the most due to their past sins, but not enough time is spent on that unfortunately.

#106.Bug (2006). A woman meets a man who insists that he is infected with bugs placed by the government.

This really is one of those movies where the horror is watching people unravel into pure insanity. The performances were all great. The story worked too. I was never going to watch this, but thanks to Ludriak I did.

#107.Hack-o-Lantern (1988). As a boy, Tommy's father was killed by his satanist grandfather. Now, Tommy is all grown up and is a satanist too.

Well, as Tommy's brother pointed out: "Tommy, why don't you do something meaningful with your life." That's how I feel about this movie. I'm not sure if they were going for broad stroke characterizations, but it sure felt like that. I wasn't sure what the plot was for most of the movie other than "tonight is the big night." And for some reason the satanists were so homely that they were adorable. Oh, and there were tons of boobs if that's your gig.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

45. Bug (2006)
:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

46. The Conjuring (2013)

I agree with you twice. Bug is fantastic. Conjuring attempts to make clapping scary.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Watrick posted:

#105.Incubus (1981)

For just a moment I got this confused with the infamous 1966 film by the same title. Of course, I don't think anyone has ever successfully sat through that.

Day 24 - So it turned out I couldn't easily get Snake Woman's Curse. I ordered a $2 DVD copy but it's up in the air if it arrives in time for the month long horror marathon. However, I found a copy of the other remaining film by Nobuo Nakagawa that has been translated into English: Onna kyuketsuki, or Lady Vampire.

Twenty years after vanishing, Itsuko's mother reappears and she hasn't aged a day. She's been held prisoner by an immortal man who loved her ancestor and now he wants to get her back.

In 1956, Nakagawa created the first Japanese vampire movie, Vampire Moth (Japanese wikipedia claims that this movie is Japan's first full vampire movie so I guess that other one didn't quite count). That film has never been translated as far as I can tell. So this is essentially his follow up vampire movie from a few years later. And this one is not as good as the other Nakagawa film's I've watched. Lady Vampire feels like a Roger Corman cheepie done between real projects as a contractual obligation. It's definitely weird, but it lacks the stylistic flare that's made me hunt down Nakagawa's films this month.

I think part of the problem for me is that it was shot in black and white. Nakagawa is terrific at using color and removing that tool from his box doesn't help him.

There's a lot of weird touches in this film. The monster in this movie doesn't turn into a vampire unless he's exposed to moonlight. Then he goes on a killing spree after any women that happen to be nearby. Lady Vampire also literally equates vampirism with Christianity and while it's hard to dispute that (anyone notice that Jesus doesn't go into direct sunlight after coming back to life?), it's also a bit odd. Disappointingly, during the climax of the film the monster grabs a rapier and the hero doesn't grab the other rapier and have a dramatic sword fight. And the movie features one of the worst vampire deaths ever: suicide by walking into his own acid(?) pit mainly because the film has run out of time.

The script runs on some of the biggest coincidences in movie history. The monster goes to Tokyo to recover his lost bride, but first he enters a painting of her into an exhibition just because. The hero is walking around Tokyo randomly and comes across the dwarf assistant to the vampire climbing out of the trunk of vampire's car. And the vampire lair that was hidden for 500 years is stumbled into by a criminal arrested at the exact minute that the hero is looking for the lair.

While the film's original title was Naked Lady Vampire (seriously), there is a general lack of naked lady vampires in the film. (Okay, technically the word used for "naked" in Japanese can also mean "undressed" and there are a few ladies who were made immortal that stand around in their underwear, but I still feel that title would have been false advertising.)

Everything in this film is cheap and lazy. Good if you want to see what the Japanese equivalent of poverty row monster films was, but not much else.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 24, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sarchasm posted:

I'm always surprised to hear people talking up The Conjuring like it's one of the best horror films they've ever seen. I'm not quite as down on the movie as you are, but it left me pretty cold.

It's pretty well executed for what it is, but it's still just one of a million house possession movies of the kind that flooded the market in the 70s and 80s following the success of Amityville and Poltergeist. And even in that very specific niche I wouldn't say that it deserves a place of recognition.

I thought the family stuff was all pretty solid, especially early on, but the Warrens and the third act all left me cold (that's not a judgment on the real life Warrens, they just felt like they were forced in as the soulless leads in a movie that should have been about a loving family). I could see how if it was one of the first haunted house/family films some people saw that it would really, really work for them because I think the movie did that stuff pretty well, but when held against the long selection of these kinds of movies and classics like Poltergeist its definitely for middling. That's where I think the Warrens hurt the film because them being the main characters makes you feel a level of detachment from the terrorized family.

Random Stranger posted:

Day 23 (or 8 more days to Halloween, Halloween, Halloween...) - I've only watched the original Paranormal Activity and I didn't care for it mainly due to the pacing. But I decided to give Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones a whirl. I don't think I need to watch any more of the series.
I think Marked Ones is legitimately the weakest of the bunch. I agree with your assessment and in the end its a huge step away from the franchise. Marked Ones takes in this larger cast and wider world that makes their decisions and behavior make no sense. In the other PA movies they stick pretty well to the basic "its in your home, you don't really know its there until its too later, you made a mistake or two that you immediately regret" formula that keeps haunted house stories going. Marked Ones tosses all of that and ends up with a really stupid movie.

That being said I think the original was probably the best of the movies (maybe 3) so if you were bothered by the pacing then you probably won't get anything better from 2-4.

Grnegsnspm
Oct 20, 2003

Day 24 - Tremors 5: Bloodlines

The original Tremors is one of those nostalgia inducing movies from my childhood. I picked that movie off the shelf of the Blockbuster more than once. I loved the tension of the graboids being able to sense your movement and it made walking around on dirt like going into the water in a Jaws movie. The sequels have mostly just been ways to not do that original concept anymore with things like smaller versions of the monster that walk around called shriekers that sense heat to the assblaster, a version that farts fire to launch itself into the air and glide around. Seeing that this installment has at least gone back to the standard underground worm monster as being the main threat is nice.

Full Review

3.5 out of 5

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skywalker OG posted:

I agree with you twice. Bug is fantastic. Conjuring attempts to make clapping scary.

You say this like it's a bad thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
16) ABCs of Death

I liked this a lot. I like the idea, I liked most of the shorts, this is a really clever idea and I liked seeing different takes on horror from the gory to the subtle to the body horror to just straight up booga booga poo poo. I kinda don't get why so many reviews focus on 'uneven tone'. Yea, no poo poo, that's the point I guess? I get why people don't like it, but I really dug it.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

17) ABCs of Death 2

Again, big fan, for all the same reasons. Special shoutout to the O segment in this for being one of the few zombie things that genuinely made me give a poo poo about it when it was done these days.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

18) Killer Klowns From Outer Space

This is some good as poo poo. If you like corny bullshit check this out. It sometimes goes a bit too far into 'get it it's a lovely horror movie...GET IT?????' stuff but the vast majority is fantastic.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Just watched cube. It was 90s as hell and felt like someone filmed an avant-garde piece of stage theatre. And I felt a little squiggy watching the idiot savant scenes. It was enjoyable enough but I don't think I'd watch it again.

:spooky: :spooky: and a half /5

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Hollows Grove The Goofus found footage to Final Prayer's Gallant. Or, I Just Watched Grave Encounters, Dude. Like or hate Grave Encounters, that film really nailed the "paranormal TV show biz" parts with nice touches like lines about artistic shots of empty hallways and psychic that's dialing up an accent for the cameras, not to mention the intense team lead. In that movie, Grave Encounters seemed like it could be a real show. Hollows Grove is a very similar setup to Grave Encounters, but the paranormal team in this one seem like local actors told to dial it up to 11 and never stop. The segments filmed for the supposedly 5 season TV series are full of botched lines and stilted conversations, but that's not what paranormal "reality" TV is known for, so it doesn't convey the same "insider's view" that Grave Encounters does: when we see them behind the scenes at a meeting going over the place they're going to film, the writer tries to make it more real by having the exposition interrupted every few lines for a joke or an F-bomb and it all just sounds desperate.

The ghost story portion of the movie fares worse. We're given a ton of exposition about how Evil and Bad this orphanage is, but there's really no rhyme or reason we can follow to what amounts to violent attacks on the cast. The best horror manages to give you a good picture of what a haunting means from a narrative standpoint, but here it just comes off as random ideas that don't connect to anything in terms of theme, character, or plot. Why is this taking place in an orphanage and why is there a spirit of a 7 year old girl who murders? Because the Writers Thought It Was Spooky. It's just a bunch of things. Worse, they save the characters first facing the idea of ghosts existing for the final 20 minutes, so we don't even get to see what these fake ghost hunters think of this fact as characters nor do we get great moments like the Grave Encounter deciding to use their gear/skills for real.

Oh, and for some reason Lance Henriksen is in this one for 5 minutes and I can't fathom why. (1/5)

Final Prayer (aka The Borderlands) This found footage film actually has characters that are characterized, and not just through dialogue, but action: the bearded investigator forgetting his camera or the random shots of him chugging booze during the early morning are great. It all has an interesting source of the evil happenings at the church instead of the usual Devil, some great eerie atmosphere, and a nice surprise for the ending that is something I've wanted to see in a found footage movie for a long time. (4.5/5)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

#47. You're Next (2011)

A well off family has a reunion weekend for the parents' wedding anniversary, consisting of their now grown children and those children's significant others. They make small talk, they bicker, they have their normal polite conversations despite not really liking each other. Then, during dinner, suddenly the house is attacked by home invaders in animal masks, clearly intent on killing everyone. One member of the party however has a secret history and is quite skilled at fighting back...

I admit I came in a few minutes late to this one (watched it with friends in a stream/chat type thing) but the impression I got was that I missed very little in setup. Still, I was able to see how oddly uneven this film is. The introductory 20-25 minutes is banal and boring and the initial bit of action is hard to get into with lots of chaotic screaming and not much going on. But stick with it. After about halfway into the movie, things start ratcheting up to absurd levels and just every part of the film gets better and better. The action, the dialogue, the characterizations, even the music just significantly improves and is great. The film has a very clear and constant uphill momentum, but it starts at the very bottom. It doesn't help that the entire film is shot with a very shakey handheld style that is disorienting and benefits the film not at all. But don't just pass this up, give it a chance, and stick with it.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I really need to watch Bug, as it seems to be a hit with those that made the stream.

I am not seeing Satan's Little Helper enough. Ya'll need to be watching that if you haven't seen it. I, myself am saving it for this week

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
21. Asylum Blackout (2011) 3.5/5

Exactly what it sounds like. It's a pretty simple story, with some trite elaborations, but this movie survives on atmosphere. If it looks good and feels good, a horror flick can usually keep me entertained for a long while and this was a big surprise. The asylum was so oppressive that it was almost scarier when the lights were on.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
41. Halloween (2007)

Nowhere near as good as John Carpenter's Halloween. Nowhere near as bad as Halloween fans want you to think it is. This is just a passable remake that allowed Zombie to make his incredible Halloween II. The theatrical cut is better than the director's cut, which adds a lot of unnecessary extra lines and more hopeless redneck trashiness.

42. Phantoms (1998)

Before seeing this movie, the only thing I knew about it was "Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms", which I had secretly hoped would mean "Ben Affleck literally explodes in the movie Phantoms". Spoiler alert: this did not happen and I had to sit through a bunch of crap about sludge monsters singing in the sewer.

Topper Harley fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 25, 2015

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

#108.Stagefright: Aquarius (1987). A group of people putting on a play are locked in a theater with a maniac who loves to kill.

In a sense this is a parody of slasher. At the time there were tons of slashers with a masked killer. In this, the killer wears a giant owl mask, it's huge. It's a fun flick. The sets are beautiful. Having the characters try to hide in a theater and on stage creates an amazing atmosphere.

#109.Dead & Buried (1981). The townsfolk of Potters Bluff kill people and tourists passing through. Soon after, they're alive and part of town. The sheriff digs deep into the strange happenings.

This movie is great. It's a horror mystery that doesn't pull any punches. Right from the very start it doesn't waste any time getting going. It's creepy and unsettling.

#110.Frailty (2001). A father gets a message from God that he has to go kill demons that look like humans. He takes his two sons to carry out god's mission.

Bill Paxton can really direct. This movie looks like a million bucks. They story is "scary" horror, it's more the horrors of religion, abuse, and powerlessness.

#111.You're Next (2011). A rich family and their dates get attacked by three masked assailants.

This is a weird mash up of a slasher and a home invasion movie. I thought it was going to be pretty bad, but it was better than I thought it was going to be

Grnegsnspm
Oct 20, 2003

Day 25 - Curse of Chucky

When you see that there is a direct-to-video sequel to the Child’s Play franchise, you immediately begin to wonder if it could be worse than Seed of Chucky since even that managed to get a theatrical release. Amazingly, however, Curse of Chucky manages to get back to its original horror film roots after the sequels, especially Bride and Seed, had become more about trying to be comedy movies that were meta spoofs of the series. This movie ends up feeling both like a reboot of the franchise and like a worthy sequel at the same time.

Full Review

4.5 out of 5

wuLFe
Oct 21, 2010
Embodiment of Evil
My Rating : 3.5/10
The third of the Brazilian "Coffin Joe" trilogy of horror movies, and really, I think I can skip parts 1 and 2 quite comfortably. Basically, an undertaker is released from prison after 40 years (for several occult murders, which I assume occurred in the previous films), and gets picked up by his assistant Igor... uh ... Bruno, who takes him to the slums in Sao Paulo where they gather some devotees and start killing people again. The story was disjointed, acting hammy, but most unforgiveably of all was how "rapey" the whole thing was. Our anti-hero wants to produce the perfect son, so he goes around looking for ladyfolk to impregnate, sometimes kidnapping them off the street, etc. Yeah - apart from the curiosity of watching a horror movie from Brazil, you're way better off sticking with the excellent "City of God", which is far more horrific anyhow.

Spring
My Rating : 8/10
This one was very much out of left field - a movie that's 80% romance and 20% horror that really worked very well for me. I watched this with the spouse who has been getting increasingly annoyed by my selections this month (going so far as to walk out when the gore quotient gets out of hand), and he absolutely loved this one. A simple tale of an average joe whose life is not going so well, so he drops everything and moves to Italy, where he meets a woman whom he believes to be the love of his life. However, from their first meeting, the movie suggests that something is a little off about her, and it follows on from there. A very unique film, which many complained about being too slow/barely a horror movie, but if you're in the right mindset, and want to see something very different, I think it is worth a look.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#23. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988). I guess the producers felt by this point that the F13 movies needed someone who could stand up to Jason instead of simply running around trying to get help against him, which would have been a neat move if things hadn't felt so low on the tension. It would have been even better if they'd just called the new girl Carrie. Forgettable fodder characters, although I did like how the blonde neighbor girl was acted in a way that suggested this just an interruption of a movie in which she was the main character. Still can't decide whether 'visiting psychic girl' beats 'Let's go dig up Jason!' as the more forced way to get things moving. And the actual use of the TK powers, once it got to that point, was kind of lackluster, as only a couple of things she did with it were more than a moderately strong person would have been able to do by hand. Jason's costume looked really good, though, aside from the mask removal. Goofy big finish, but I have to admit I wasn't expecting what they went with. 6/10

#24. Child's Play 3 (1991). Watching this one, it's easier to understand why the franchise took a long nap until Scream made sarcastic horror mainstream. There's not a lot of reasons to recommend this one, and plenty of things about which you can be mildly irritated, if you're taking it half-seriously. Chucky's confusing motivations (he has a new body, but decides to mail himself to a kid he found out he couldn't soul-hijack in the last movie, then decides that another kid is the best new vessel instead of going for, say, a young adult?), the way the movie is spent at the military academy until it takes a field trip to a nearby carnival for the finale, the painful stupidity of the new main kid, etc. On the plus side, Andy acting as survival guide to the newly-targeted kid was a potentially interesting angle, and the heart attack scene was fairly amusing. There was also some neat potential in the way Chucky was slipping more into the role of prankster instead of stalker/slasher, working behind the scenes to have people end up loving themselves over. In the end, though, it felt like the script didn't really know what it wanted to do, and the resolution was so abrupt it felt as though some scenes had been lopped out. 5/10

#25. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989). I'm sure the annoyance about 'this is Jason takes a boat, not NYC!' has been done to death, but that doesn't make it less of a disappointment. Some of the flattest characters in the series, despite their rockin' hair-dos. I must have glanced away during the scene in which Jason gets an axe chop to his new mask in the same spot as his old one (and boy, wasn't that a convenient prop delivery). Really egregious teleportation by Jason in this one (the ladder scene stood out the most for this, along with his presumably furious doggy-paddling to follow the life-boat), but I did like that kid Jason's tragedy was remembered and incorporated, even if it was in a fairly senseless way. Gross pre-Giuliani NYC was probably the movie's biggest treat, as under-populated as it was. If the movie had spent more time there, this entry might have achieved higher regard, because the scenes with Jason stomping through subways and kicking boom-boxes are great. Hooray for nightly toxic waste washes as a saving device, too bad no C.H.U.D.s showed up. 5/10.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Watrick posted:

#108.Stagefright: Aquarius (1987). A group of people putting on a play are locked in a theater with a maniac who loves to kill.

In a sense this is a parody of slasher. At the time there were tons of slashers with a masked killer. In this, the killer wears a giant owl mask, it's huge. It's a fun flick. The sets are beautiful. Having the characters try to hide in a theater and on stage creates an amazing atmosphere.

Just seconding this movie is loving awesome and Watrick has watched some great stuff this month

Don't Torture a Duckling -

This one is a semi-rewatch that I am considering a first time watch. I attempted it in 2013, but I believe I had to watch it over 3 days, as when I got home from work I fell asleep and forgot the parts I did get to watch.

Anyway, this Fulci flick involves a series of child murders that occur and quickly identifies several suspects including a well to do drug addict and some black magicians as well as other curious characters. This is unique for Fulci in that the gore is toned way down, almost to the point of only showing what is plot relevant and just being overall competent. Not my favorite Fulci, but would make a good entry point for his catalog and all around a decent movie.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/ 5

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
25. Amityville II: The Possession (1982): this is a prequel to the original. A dysfunctional family moves int the infamous house, and the elder son gets possessed. This movie gets dark. Really loving dark, and it goes in to really taboo territory. I don't think I really cared for it. We spend a lot of time with the family, but not a lot with the protagonist of the film. It's a little slow paced as well. The effects are pretty decent though, so this one has that much going for it.

26. Amityville 3D (1983): this time a sceptic buys the house, but his family is t so skeptical. It's not really a tie in to the others, and is a really dull movie. I almost fell asleep a few times towards the end. It's not particularly original or scary. I didn't watch this in 3D, but the effects looked like they would have been pretty bad. I was surprised to see Meg Ryan in this. It must have been early in her career.

27. Paranormal Activity 5: The Ghost Dimension (2015): This is being marketed as the final PA instalment. Time will tell, but it's a series that has been experiencing diminishing returns for a while. The concept is pretty unique. A man discovers a custom camera and vhs tapes in his home. The camera shows that his family may not be alone in their house.

This one kind of dragged. The concept of the ghost camera is cool, but this is really just the same PA movie we've already seen a few times. There's plenty of jump scares though, so if you're into that you may like it. If you're going to see this one, I recommend going to the theatre and catching it in 3D instead of waiting for it to hit VOD next month. The effects are done quite well, and the 3D actually serves a purpose rather than just being an excuse to charge higher admission.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Mr. Jones
This isn't bad, but I kept getting the feeling that there's a much better movie lurking underneath. In this found footage film, a couple moves to the boonies to work on their relationship only to find they have a creepy neighbor, a man who also happens to be some sort of street type artist who mails creepy scarecrow type brick-a-brack statues around the world. They decide to covertly document him and his art instead of filming their relationship; this part of the movie, about the first 30 minutes, is pretty great and had me expecting a gem. Unfortunately, it suffers from running only 1 hour 20 minutes and somehow feeling like the last act starts far too early and goes on far too long; I think it kicks in around the 45-50 minute mark but it got to be tedious. Essentially, we find out that Mr. Jones is not a bad guy, as his statues are actually sort of like totems keeping dark forces at bay. After this there's a lot of dialogue where our husband and wife team shout about "The Dark World!" and "The Nightmare World that is opposite of ours!" that's better left unsaid and just shown, as it sounds really goofy.

There are a few neat tricks pulled with the found footage gimmick: earlier in the film I noticed some strange places for the camera to be, like on the wall above the couple's bed while they're sleeping at night, and the reveal that this footage is the dark world itself filming them spliced in with their actual footage is pretty cool. Not a bad way to spend 90 minutes, but this one could've been special. (2.5/5)

The Prowler
Better than The Burning, but not quite a My Bloody Valentine, let alone a Halloween/Nightmare on Elm Street. Slashers get by on their kills, their villain, and sometimes their characters: the cast is pretty thin in this one, as I never really found out much about anyone, and the acting is approaching serviceable. The kills are decent: maybe not the most creative, but they have a certain brutality to them, the camera lingering quite creepily a few times on a dying gasp instead of blood and gore. The killer has a nice design, wearing aged WWII army gear and actually carrying a gun with him, and I liked the stylish use of a 1940s newsreel to give us an idea of why he's killing. The middle kind of sags, but there's a good chase scene at the end. Another decent watch, but I feel like this is one of those films that could use a remake and potentially be made into something even better, though of course it would likely just end up being a CW style PG-13 production. (3/5)

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014)
This is really interesting: it's not even quite a slasher, as the film definitely seems to be striving to be much more than that and actually comment on the relation between the Tex-Arkana Sundown murders, the 70s movie based on the murders, and this movie which is posed as a dramatization of Actual Events that occurred in 2013. The movie is quite beautifully shot, which surprised me, and the way that kills and chases are filmed is unique: it goes for a chopped up, abrupt sort of style that focuses less on the thriller aspect of a chase between a victim/s and a killer than it does the sudden, horrible violence. (Humorously, this is done in such a way that the killer seems to teleport through editing itself.) This is also sort of a film that wants to be Scream, and I don't think it's entirely successful: it seemed like the middle of the film sort of "loses" the main character for a decent stretch, which makes it feel less focused, and I'm not sure about the twist at the end. Oh, and bonus points for the film having Charles B. Pierce's son (played by an actor) appear as the sort of Wes Craven in New Nightmare type of character. (3.5/5)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Day 25 - I guess I could have watched multiple versions of Dracula or Frankenstein, but instead I'm now on my third version of Yotsuya Kaidan of the month. This one is the 1966 version of the film given the title Illusion of Blood outside of Japan.

So once more, Iemon is a poor samurai maried to Iowe. He's also a complete shithead and when the opportunity comes along to marry into a better family, he murders his wife, ties her to a door, and dumps her body in a river. Iowe doesn't take kindly to that and her ghost torments Iemon.

The big difference in plot for this version is that everyone other than Iowe are horrible people who deserve to haunted by a long haired Japanese ghost girl. Iemon's new in-laws are the ones who push him to murder his wife with the new woman providing a poison specifically so she has a painful death. Iowe's father called her home so that he could sell her into prostitution and get the money instead of Iemon.

This has been my least favorite of the three versions of Yotsuya Kaidan I've watched. The plot is strangely choppy, presumably built from the assumption that any viewers would be familiar with the story and so they could just get on with it. The best thing I can say about it is that the haunting is nicely creepy in some scenes. Though in this movie Iowe's ghostly revenge involves a lot of rats and they tend to just be placed around the set rather than shots of them actually doing things.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Week 1: Travel
1. Unaware [1/10] | 2. Vinyan [8.5/10] | 3. Borderland [4/10] | 4. Calvaire [8/10] | 5. The Forest [2/10] | 6. Dead and Buried [7/10] | 7. The Visit [8/10]
Week 2: Creature
8. Altered [6/10] | 9. Aliens vs Predator [3/10] | 10. Aliens vs Predator: Requiem [4/10] | 11. The Cat (Lao Mao) 1992 [7/10] | 12. Dog Soldiers [5/10] | 13. Prophecy [5/10] | 14. Species [7/10]
Week 3: Technology
15. Skin I Live In [7/10] | Brainscan [3/10] | 17. Virus [6/10] | 18. Tetsuo 2 [5/10] | 19. Tetsuo 3 [3/10] | 20. Hellevator [1/10] | 21. Pulse [7/10]

Week 4: Slasher
22. Nightmare on Elm Street 2 [7/10] | 23. Driller Killer [6.5/10] | 24. Hatchet for the Honeymoon [6/10]

25. Sorority Row
Slasher | Smug Rich Frat People

I didn't come into this one expecting much, but wasn't bad. It feels like there was money put into this thing and there's a strong sense of style to it, but this is still a bit of a generic post-Scream slasher. The characters are catty to each other - they almost talk solely in one-liners. Everyone is a rich frat douche, so if that triggers you, you're not missing out on a whole lot if you skip this. 6/10

26. Final Girls
Movie-within-a-movie | TVTropes

This is a self-aware parody of slashers where a group of people gets pulled into one of the Friday the 13th's and have to operate within the specific set of rules the film operates under. There is no variation on this. The film glitches out and resets if you try to do something the film world isn't set up for. With that being said, there is a deep sentimental twinge to this film that I think actually works pretty well. Everything else about this one doesn't work even though it's got a great cast of mostly TV comedy actors. Malin Ackerman, Taissa Farmiga, Alia Shawkat, Thomas Middleditch, and ADAM DEVINE are in this and I wasn't blown away, which definitely says something about it.

In the past few years we've had a bunch of things that explore what they are by working within themselves such as The Editor and Berberian Sound Studio, Birdman, The Magic Circle, and Cabin in the Woods and none of them work completely, but I think someone will pull it off some day. 6/10

27. Black Christmas
Killer POV | Sorority house

I've been inadvertently seeing a ton of films where a major motif is seeing from the killer's perspective this year, with Driller Killer, Hatchet for the Honeymoon, and NOES2. Hm. This is a fantastic film. The killer is really drat creepy even though you maybe see him once, and the cast is great. It's got Margot Kidder as a drunk, Olivia Hussey, John Saxon...the acting is awesome. This may be one of my favorite slashers now. It's simple, quick, messes with your expectations, and has great characters. 9/10

28. Last House on the Left
That was hosed up | Interesting twist

I thought this would be more of a home invasion film, but it's almost the opposite. It is extremely uncomfortable to watch and grimy, lo-fi as gently caress. There was absolutely no stylistic flourishes until the finale. This film feels like you're watching hosed up poo poo happen in real life, and you really want bad poo poo to happen to the antagonists, but after it does, I was just left feeling as grossed out and nihilistic as the ones who make it to the end. 8/10

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

25. Amityville II: The Possession (1982): this is a prequel to the original. A dysfunctional family moves int the infamous house, and the elder son gets possessed. This movie gets dark. Really loving dark, and it goes in to really taboo territory. I don't think I really cared for it. We spend a lot of time with the family, but not a lot with the protagonist of the film. It's a little slow paced as well. The effects are pretty decent though, so this one has that much going for it.

I love how the second half of this movie is just a dimestore version of the Exorcist. It's so blatant. And the incest is such a sad attempt at generating controversy buzz.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

#112.Phenomena (1985). A girl who is sent to a Swiss boarding school realizes that there is a serial killer afoot. Fortunately for her, she can communicate and control insects.

Originally released as Creepers in the U.S., it had about a half an hour cut due to shots in the boarding school being a little too risqué. Other than that, this is a drat fine slasher. It's a different take having a character have a super power. It's weird, it's pretty, and it had a monkey with a razor blade.

#113.Begotten (1990). Well, the plot is obtuse as all hell. IDMB has the plot listed, but without it I would have no idea that was the plot.

I don't like calling anything "art," I feel some things are, but it's not a term I use to with people as it's such a loaded term. However, in the movie biz this would fit into the genre of "arthouse." It's a difficult watch due to the length and the fact that there isn't any dialogue. Coupled with an obtuse narrative and having your senses assaulted with bizarre images, it really challenges the viewer to stick with it. With that being said, it's not a bad movie. I appreciate this quite a bit. It commits to itself fully and doesn't show any hesitation in doing so. It's both beautiful and bizarre in its own twisted logic. The sound design is top notch; with the lack of dialogue it helps to elevate it's absence. I would check into this before watching, as this is definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

#114.From Beyond (1986). A scientist creates a device to stimulate the pineal gland. It works and it lets people see creatures. The scientist works with a psychiatric to prove his innocent when another scientist dies.

Brian Yazuna does Lovecraft so well, add Jeffery Combs in the mix and it's even better. This movie is just a delight. It's weird, a bit surreal, and gross. All I know is that I want a resonator for Christmas.

#115.American Psycho (2000). Patrick Batman is an investment banker. Patrick Batman is a connoisseur of 80s new wave and rock. Patrick Batman has a penchant for video tapes. Patrick Bateman has a taste for killing.

Often I feel this mixes equal parts horror and comedy. It's absurd in so many ways, yet has an unrelenting depravity to it. Patrick Bateman, like many serial killers is charismatic, handsome, and endearing. Christian Bale plays him perfectly. It's wonderful to watch.

#116.The Exorcism of Emily Rose . A girl get possessed. There is an exorcism. She dies. There is a trial.

More of of a courtroom drama, than a horror movie, this was boring. So boring. It was just boring. I don't want to waste any more of my time with this boring movie.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

#23 City of the Living Dead
Though I was afraid I wouldn't like this after the disappointing The House By the Cemetery it was actually really cool. Everything slowly getting worse while a group of heroes fights to stop the bad guy's plan, I couldn't help but shake the idea it was an X-files of Lovecraft like RPG game that worked out very well as a movie. The ending was a bit anti-climactic, but it didn't do much to hurt my overall enjoyment. Solid.

#24 The Beyond
Very similar to City of the Living Dead, but I didn't like it as much. Somehow it felt smaller in scale and while the ending was a lot better it didn't seem as effective at building tension as City was, making it feel hollow in comparison. Still okay, but I would definitely pick City over this one.

#25 Scanners
This was really disappointing. I expected great things from Cronenberg and got a bog-standard spythriller-ish movie with the most wooden main actor imaginable. The head explosion that everyone knows from the gif still happened quite unexpectedly, but everything else was just so boring.

#26 Prince of Darkness
Talking about boring, this one was probably the worst. It starts of with a great premise and then proceeds to do everything as by-the-numbers and as uninteresting as possible. The wrestling in the hallways during the finale or the possessed people getting clobbered with bricks as they crawl through the hole in wall were laughably bad and should in no way be part of anything that wants to be a finale. I cannot believe this is by the same Carpenter that made The Thing.

Am I just losing perspective from watching his many horror movies in a row?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Honestly, I agree with each of your opinions in this post. And it goes so far against popular opinion I feel like I'm missing things.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
1. Psycho 2. Black Christmas 3. Deep Red 4. Wicker Man 5. The Mummy 6. The Curse of Frankenstein 7. Drag Me to Hell 8. Candyman 9. Child’s Play 10. Lords of Salem 11. Suspiria 12. Hellraiser 13. From Beyond 14. Evil Dead 15. Evil Dead II 16. Re-Animator 17. Necronomicon 18. The Wolfman 19. The Howling 20. An American Werewolf in London 21. Poltergeist 22. City of the Living Dead 23. Sleep Hollow 24. Curse of Chucky 25. Dracula(1931) 26. Horror of Dracula 27. Dracula(1973) 28. Dracula(1979) 29. Nosferatu The Vampyre

30. Frankenstein

This and Bride of Frankenstein are both about 70 minutes long, so I enjoy watching them back to back basically as one film. I'd say this first part is carried by Clive, his manic quality propels the film forward and keeps things interesting. Karloff's monster is more unsettling than scary, but the scene by the lake with the little girl is extremely tense. I have a hard time imagining this movie without that scene by the lake, and I know I've heard that originally it was cut. Its just so crucial to Karloff's performance and the message of the film, the idea of cutting it is bizarre.

31. Bride of Frankenstein

I love Karloff's makeup in this movie, I think its a major step up from the original. The storyline is wackier, but there's still a pretty strong message to the film. I go back and forth on what my favorite Universal monster movie is, but Bride of Frankenstein is a worthy contender for that title.

32. The Shining

I blocked out a whole Saturday for The Shining because I didn't want to watch it tired from a hard day at work, or half drunk while one eye strays to a muted football game. The Shining is a film where I like to get the full experience every time I watch it.

Once you know where the movie is going in advance(at this point even people watching for the first time probably do), the Jack character is goddamn scary right from the beginning. You could even argue that the hotel, possibly through "the shining" and Jack's connection to Danny, was able to target Jack as a person who'd be susceptible to its influence.

The ending is perfect because it allows for a thousand different theories, and I have slightly different (nerdy)thoughts on it every time I see it. This time I got to thinking about Delbert Grady, and how there must have been a time when he too was "always the caretaker". Do the ghosts/souls have their memory reset every time a new caretaker is hired? Does the hotel create a separate little universe for each new caretaker, and just use the imprints of the previous caretakers to fill in the other people? Is there a different, alternate Overlook Hotel where Grady is forever the caretaker and Jack is a bellhop? I love the fact that none of these questions will ever be answered.

Grnegsnspm
Oct 20, 2003

Day 26 - From Beyond

Time for the second Jeffrey Combs joint of the season. This time around he gets to be in a much better film than the last one I reviewed. I’ve always loved the “body horror” sub-genre and From Beyond has been touted as one of the best. Having just finished watching it, I can definitely say that they weren’t lying. There is some seriously nasty body warping shenanigans going on in this movie.

Full Review

4 out of 5

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
gently caress yea I'm happy to see how many people watched From Beyond this year. Its criminally underseen.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

gently caress yea I'm happy to see how many people watched From Beyond this year. Its criminally underseen.

I've seen it so many times, it never gets old.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Is it available through Netflix/YouTube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Is it available through Netflix/YouTube?

I don't think so but its like $3 to rent on amazon. Also the blu ray is one of the best looking blu rays I own, so for $17 you can't really go wrong.

• Locked thread