Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
The opinions of someone who has played this game multiple times willingly and on purpose:

Wet is relatively normal and inoffensive, except when the game needs him to give really stupid speeches.
SamRaimi is fine barring the occasional "Edge, you pervert! *slap*" moments.
555 is one of the worst characters, both for being terrible from a gameplay perspective and for (SPOILERS GO HERE).
Limb is also one the worst characters for being a 15-year-old with the mind and body of a six-year-old that the game very obviously wants you to ship her with 555.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wet is my favorite because he's intolerable as a character. But an event on a future planet is the best thing in the entire game, and it changes him entirely for a portion of the game. It's hilarious, and the only memorable thing for me in all of SO4.

My favorite McDonald's item is the 2 cheeseburger meal. I like this the most because I could have a double cheeseburger for roughly the same price. But this way I get extra bread. But it still somehow feels less filling with 2 individual burgers.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

i81icu812 posted:

counterpoint: he's an elf.

I just finished reading the Puntil thread, and now you've inexorably linked 555 with that glorious monstrosity in my mind.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 12, 2016

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Melomane Mallet posted:

The opinions of someone who has played this game multiple times willingly and on purpose:

Wet is relatively normal and inoffensive, except when the game needs him to give really stupid speeches.
SamRaimi is fine barring the occasional "Edge, you pervert! *slap*" moments.
555 is one of the worst characters, both for being terrible from a gameplay perspective and for (SPOILERS GO HERE).
Limb is also one the worst characters for being a 15-year-old with the mind and body of a six-year-old that the game very obviously wants you to ship her with 555.

Well Edge is an idiot, we'll get a fantastic example of that coming up soon, but one we already had was that he and Reimi were walking around on a less developed planet in their fancy Science Fiction anime outfits drawing attention to themselves and generally being really bad at hiding the fact that are from another planet. Now you can argue that they don't have the equivalent to Star Trek's prime directive yet but you'd think they would at least sit down and say "okay we should try to blend in and not do anything that would gently caress up the planet too much. but nope, Edge "Somehow less Competent than Janeway" Maverick just waltzes out of his ship and is live "hello primitive beings we are from this planet and not wierd monster from beyond your stars, please take us to your primitive dwelling and tell us about your culture."

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

Well Edge is an idiot, we'll get a fantastic example of that coming up soon, but one we already had was that he and Reimi were walking around on a less developed planet in their fancy Science Fiction anime outfits drawing attention to themselves and generally being really bad at hiding the fact that are from another planet. Now you can argue that they don't have the equivalent to Star Trek's prime directive yet but you'd think they would at least sit down and say "okay we should try to blend in and not do anything that would gently caress up the planet too much. but nope, Edge "Somehow less Competent than Janeway" Maverick just waltzes out of his ship and is live "hello primitive beings we are from this planet and not wierd monster from beyond your stars, please take us to your primitive dwelling and tell us about your culture."

I said "relatively"; most folks are blissfully unaware of party member #6 and the dedicated healer yet.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The best McDonald's menu item is undoubtedly the McGriddle, it's so tasty. Either that or their apple pies, which are also so tasty.

The best character in this pile of bad characters is Sam Raimi, for sure. Wet is okay, Limb is weird and has a bad gimmick + that forever 6 years old thing is gross, and 5's is just duller than dishwater. That guy has done literally nothing but tag along, his only character trait is "hi I'm here I guess".

Also, can I just say that it's really weird that Edge never switched back to using a gun? Like we all knew he wouldn't but there is absolutely no reason for his dumb backup sword to be his main weapon. But that might be kind of interesting, so I guess that's asking way too much of this game.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The best McDonald's menu option is to go to Wendy's instead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You're all stupid people with wrong opinions.

The best McDonalds item is Gravy Fries. Dear god do I love me some Gravy Fries :swoon:.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

gnome7 posted:

Also, can I just say that it's really weird that Edge never switched back to using a gun? Like we all knew he wouldn't but there is absolutely no reason for his dumb backup sword to be his main weapon. But that might be kind of interesting, so I guess that's asking way too much of this game.

There's a couple lore entries and a conversation later that touches on this. Basically, Edge is the worst shot ever, and only feels comfortable fighting with knives and other melee weapons.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're all stupid people with wrong opinions.

The best McDonalds item is Gravy Fries. Dear god do I love me some Gravy Fries :swoon:.

WHERE ARE YOU FROM THAT MCDONALDS DOES GRAVY FRIES AND CAN I LIVE WITH YOU NOW PLEASE?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

I don't like any of the characters. Being bland an inoffensive does not endear 555 to me.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Rabidredneck posted:

There's a couple lore entries and a conversation later that touches on this. Basically, Edge is the worst shot ever, and only feels comfortable fighting with knives and other melee weapons.

We already had the conversation back in episode 9, but it just raises the alternate question of why he was using a gun when they initially landed if he loves swords so much.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
SamRaimi is just disconcertingly submissive.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Polsy posted:

We already had the conversation back in episode 9, but it just raises the alternate question of why he was using a gun when they initially landed if he loves swords so much.

Your asking for logic and consistency from this game. I played through it, beat it, got all the endings, just smile and accept it for what it is.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Rabidredneck posted:

Not to white knight this game too much but it does make sense that their equivalent to Starfleet Academy would have some classes on fencing or archery, I mean how many times have they wound up in the past/on an underdeveloped planet on Star Trek? Using a sword or a bow as a method of self defense would draw a lot less attention to yourself in those situations.

goatface posted:

SamRaimi is just disconcertingly submissive.

I'm pretty sure Reimi's just there to say "Edge no, we are not going to explore the sun, the ship would explode if we got too close to it and we would all die. No you can't walk around on the surface on your own, you would die instantly."

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 12, 2016

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Not to white knight this game too much but it does make sense that their equivalent to Starfleet Academy would have some classes on fencing or archery, I mean how many times have they wound up in the past/on an underdeveloped planet on Star Trek? Using a sword or a bow as a method of self defense would draw a lot less attention to yourself in those situations.

See, I get that, but I don't know exactly how effective competitive fencing skills would be outside of competition, and especially agianst non-human opponents. It still doesn't explain why he doesn't carry a sword into battle when other people in Space Navy do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pork Lift posted:

WHERE ARE YOU FROM THAT MCDONALDS DOES GRAVY FRIES AND CAN I LIVE WITH YOU NOW PLEASE?

Fuckin' straya, mate. They started out as a Limited Time Only part of the Loaded Fries range, then one day McDonalds just stopped adding that addendum because they knew we'd riot like heroin addicts in need of a fix if they took'em away.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Inco posted:

See, I get that, but I don't know exactly how effective competitive fencing skills would be outside of competition, and especially agianst non-human opponents. It still doesn't explain why he doesn't carry a sword into battle when other people in Space Navy do.

Just assume the MMO twist is still valid and every stupid thing in the series is the result of some idiot in an office building having to come up with new quests for an entire loving post-scarcity audience to go through.

It's probably close to the truth.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So is wateyad playing as someone playing as Wedgie? Or is he supposed to be an NPC in the 4D MMO?

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So is wateyad playing as someone playing as Wedgie? Or is he supposed to be an NPC in the 4D MMO?

"MMO" is actually kind of a flippant way to refer to Eternal Sphere. The way Star Ocean 3 described it is more like a simulated universe where everyone has their one person they follow but with which the "player" has no direct interaction. That's why the fan theory that is probably true describes Welch as a hacker. She's the only one who acts like she does because she's the only 4D person directly inserting themself for fun.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So it's more like a hi-tech tamagotchi that takes care of itself (usually hopefully)?

e: I guess Beige Mauverick was just their naming algorithm glitching out

e2: Actually, it'd be like those idle games that are all the rage these days... SO3 was prophetic!

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 13, 2016

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's progress quest. Someone figured out how to enable 3D mode.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Man, life in 4D world must suck if living in the same dimension as these chuckleheads is preferable.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I'm pretty sure Reimi's just there to say "Edge no, we are not going to explore the sun, the ship would explode if we got too close to it and we would all die. No you can't walk around on the surface on your own, you would die instantly."

Also to be creepily perved on. We have not even begun to scratch the surface of "Edge, you pervert" moments. :suicide:

My favorite character, if I'm remembering them right, is one we haven't met yet (non-spoilers: it's the next party member we get). They're not really that great, but I think they had sort of an interesting premise which is better than I can say for the rest of these trash tier schmoes.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 27: Wet Maverick, Formless Blob of Protagonism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjTYQzUkVFw

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wateyad posted:

And so the main party were indeed vaporized. Star Ocean's very clear on it's Teleport/Transporter rules, and it works by vaporizing the original and constructing a copy at the destination. :eng101:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've been watching someone stream Persona 5 lately. Makes for a hell of a contrast. The sheer gulf in quality between that game and this one is astonishing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Loved that ending. Hahahahaha!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Billy the Saw puppet has more organic appearance and movement than that thing.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
So, let me get this straight.

The big stompy cyborg character is the only one with stealth?

Star Ocean 4, everyone!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Billy the Saw puppet has more organic appearance and movement than that thing.

Looks like a combination of a Gorn and that puppet thing in the TOS episode with the baby aliens.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Tax Refund posted:

So, let me get this straight.

The big stompy cyborg character is the only one with stealth?

Star Ocean 4, everyone!

He has a cloaking device.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Bacchus seems like the first and possibly only good character in this game! Let's see how long it takes the writers to ruin it, they're off to a good start with "we don't have time to talk about plot" immediately followed by 5 minutes spent on introductions without introducing Sam, 5s, or Limb.

Also that episode ending was gold.

ThePsychoGamer
Dec 5, 2013
The main antagonistic force in this game are actually made up of retired Power Rangers monsters.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Bacchus was one of my favorite characters. Mechanics-wise he gets some powerful attacks, including a very spammable one. They paid a lot of attention to his animations, when he dodges little maneuvering thrusters pop out, and he has a pretty quirky personality.

He also has a new gathering skill, so it's worth it to go back to various planets to make use of it, he opens up a lot of new crafting options. Now if I may make a suggestion, putting it in spoilers just to be safe..

Stick around on that station for awhile. Some of his battle trophies involve killing machine enemies and that station is the only place for awhile with easy access to them.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

wateyad posted:

He has a cloaking device.

One he actually uses in cutscenes, even!

Incidentally, if you wold like some gameplay advice, I find that mages, like Limb, 555, and the other two we have yet to recruit, do best under the AI tactic "Stay out of trouble".

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

wateyad posted:

Is that a dong on the lizardman's chin?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When trying to google how to spell 555's name, half the results would be about the jiggle physics in this game. I was wondering how long until that was going to come into play.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Elric posted:

Is that a dong on the lizardman's chin?

I saw it too, glad I'm not the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Rabidredneck posted:

Stick around on that station for awhile. Some of his battle trophies involve killing machine enemies and that station is the only place for awhile with easy access to them.

I don't think this is the kind of LP where they will be worrying about such things.

• Locked thread