Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkpool
Aug 4, 2014

Suspicious Dish posted:

All the algorithms in HFT are proprietary, since they're a bunch of firms all competing and giving anybody else an edge when you're talking about huge amounts of money to be made.

Here's the secret, though: HFT isn't magic, the algorithms are made out to be super complex but they're actually ridiculously simple. Basically, if you see any fluctuation that means you can ride off of it, go for it, and if you see any fluctuation that means it's going to tank, sell it as soon as possible.

Most of the engineering in HFT isn't AI or fancy algorithms or anything like that. The secret is optimizing every last cycle out of your operating system and your network stack, and trying to blitz speed. We're talking 100,000 trades per minute. I've talked to engineers at firms that designed their own computers, network interfaces and all, and their own OSes, simply because it gave them a slight advantage over the competition's speed, and that slight advantage is an extra $5 million.

Can I ask you some questions via email?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm not in any way an expert on this subject and my exposure to this comes from informal chats over lunch.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

hendersa posted:

I had a pile of book final proofs come my way over the past few days, and I'm in a mad scramble to clean up details here and there. This is, by far, the worst portion of the technical writing process that I have come across. But I have to admit, everything looks very, very pretty once it has been laid out by the graphic artists:

"to talk directly talk to the..." on this page. You have time to fix it before print?

E: typo in my quote of the typo

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

dobbymoodge posted:

"to talk directly talk to the..." on this page. You have time to fix it before print?

E: typo in my quote of the typo
That is why they send the proofs over for my review. I already requested that one be fixed. I caught a variety of things that needed to be addressed.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

A little more work on my K repl thing. Added a toggleable editor panel. You can evaluate the whole contents or selected chunks by pressing shift+enter. I'm pretty happy with the workflow this allows.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Decided to work on my 3D graphics programming again with MonoGame. Obvious choice, a simple terrain generator.

Link for fairly large gif.

Outlines are slightly broken, but couldn't be bothered to actually fix it.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

That would look amazing with less aliasing on the outlines I bet.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Tres Burritos posted:

That would look amazing with less aliasing on the outlines I bet.

Like this?

I had to force it in my GPU control panel, because MonoGame does not appreciate shaders and antialiasing apparently.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Red Mike posted:

Like this?

I had to force it in my GPU control panel, because MonoGame does not appreciate shaders and antialiasing apparently.
This looks really dope

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

This looks really dope

Have some dope trees then.

(Last screenshot, promise)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I dig the trees and the screenshots! But from a geography sperg perspective, there shouldn't be trees above the tree line.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

I made a Chrome extension that puts glasses on things.

It's based on a silly thing from a Danish TV show, Natholdet. They have a teletext page you can overlay on the current programming, and then people are encouraged to watch TV with it on and take pictures if something funny happens. I don't really watch TV much, but still wanted to take part in the fun, so I decided to make an extension for it. :shobon:

Here's a link to it, if you want to try it out.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

That's cool! How did you do the face-recognition? It's interesting seeing which ones it gets and which ones it doesn't.

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

This is almost as good as the cloud to butt and all images are cosby extensions. :allears:

I'm amused by really silly things.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Yessss that's nice.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Tann posted:

That's cool! How did you do the face-recognition? It's interesting seeing which ones it gets and which ones it doesn't.

Yeah, sometimes it gets it a bit wrong, heh.

I'm just using jquery.facedetection on default settings. :)

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

The BeagleSNES SNES gamepad hardware interface is up and running. There is a 16-bit data word sent at 1 bit/clock cycle. The first twelve bits represent the state of the 8 buttons and 4 d-pad directions on the SNES controller. If a button is pressed, the bit for that button in the 16-bit word goes to 0. I generate the clock and latch to the gamepad and the gamepad sends me back the serial data per the clock (yellow is outgoing, blue is incoming):

Eventually, if I make enough of these videos, everyone will be inspired to become an electrical engineer. :eng101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp7inzxFHCc

Edit: Fixed the audio on the video. Share it far and wide.

hendersa fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 16, 2015

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Sebbe posted:

Yeah, sometimes it gets it a bit wrong, heh.

I'm just using jquery.facedetection on default settings. :)

Of course there's a jQuery facial detection plugin. Why would I think otherwise? There's probably a jQuery complete CRM/Payroll/HR plugin, too, and one for launching space shuttles, and another for controlling da Vinci surgical robots.

Edit:

hendersa posted:

Eventually, if I make enough of these videos, everyone will be inspired to become an electrical engineer. :eng101:

If I could go back in time, I'd at least consider it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Centripetal Horse posted:

There's probably a jQuery complete CRM/Payroll/HR plugin, too

Exists, but it requires like jquery 1.3 and ie

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Post more screenshots

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Internet Janitor posted:

A little more work on my K repl thing. Added a toggleable editor panel. You can evaluate the whole contents or selected chunks by pressing shift+enter. I'm pretty happy with the workflow this allows.
This is very cool. I remembered you were working on a K-ish interpreter, but either didn't know or forgot that you were doing it in-browser/in JavaScript.

I just downloaded the a ZIP of the current repo state and am playing around locally in the browser (loaded index.html off the file system) and with the Node.js REPL. Again: very cool! Excited to find time to play further, compare this to other K versions.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
minidracula: Thanks! The github documents the changes I am aware of from older versions of K. For more information about K in general you might want to check out the wiki for Kona, the other open-source K implementation.

There's also a live version of the oK browser frontend here, if you feel like bookmarking it: http://johnearnest.github.io/ok/index.html

In the future as time allows I might try writing my own tutorial/reference materials.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Packt Publishing released a preview of the first chapter of my Android book. If you like the BeagleBone Black projects that I do and want to try some yourself, check this chapter out because it gives you a shopping list of the basic hardware stuff that you need and info on where to buy it all. Stuff like cables, breadboards, power supplies, cables, and the like. If you want some more info on what hardware to buy and where to buy it from, send me a PM and I'll give you some tips.

And, here is a "screenshot" of what I've been up to:

Since Radio Shack has declared bankruptcy, I stopped in at my local store to see what kind of deals I could find while they were doing their clearance sales to liquidate their remaining inventory. The clerk informed me that everything in the "maker section" was 80% or more off. So, I told him that I'd take it. All of it. I grabbed everything left, including every LED, IC, transistor, and diode left in the parts drawers. I actually bought the entire remaining electronics component and maker inventory of the store for $99.73 after tax (87% discount). Check this out:

That is a lot of components for $100. Those "Make" component kits originally had a retail price of $120 each, and they are packed with breadboards, ICs, LEDs, switches, and a good assortment of resistors, capacitors, and transistors. :stare:

While I've been tied up in crunch time at work, the electronics projects using these components are... ongoing. :science:

hendersa fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 20, 2015

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
Although not as awesome as hendersa's stuff...

LAZER BEAMZ!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Marsol0 posted:

LAZER BEAMZ!

Oh man I used to play Protector II sooooo much on the Atari 800. Love me some Protector.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Marsol0 posted:

It is great that you are impressed by the stuff that I mess around with, but please don't downplay your own work because of it. I share what I do to show off the neat things that I make and (hopefully) encourage others to play around with things outside their immediate area of knowledge. Taking the first step on your own projects is one more step than those that never bothered to even start a project, so you are, by definition, doing awesome stuff if you post any screenshots of anything that you are working on. You have to start somewhere, you know?

quote:

LAZER BEAMZ!

There was an SDL-based indie game from maybe 10 years back that had a style like this. It wasn't a Protector clone, but was based in space and had a storyline with character portraits with text dialogs in it. Waves of enemies would come out over a "world" several screens long and you'd fly back and forth to try and wipe them all out. Anyone remember the title that I'm talking about? Pretty good, from what I remember.

Are you using a colorkey blit on that plane, or are your doing a block blit with a black background on the sprite?

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

hendersa posted:

It is great that you are impressed by the stuff that I mess around with, but please don't downplay your own work because of it. I share what I do to show off the neat things that I make and (hopefully) encourage others to play around with things outside their immediate area of knowledge. Taking the first step on your own projects is one more step than those that never bothered to even start a project, so you are, by definition, doing awesome stuff if you post any screenshots of anything that you are working on. You have to start somewhere, you know?
I'm just commenting on following your post in the thread. You are absolutely right and I am excited by my own relatively simple work.

hendersa posted:

Are you using a colorkey blit on that plane, or are your doing a block blit with a black background on the sprite?
I'm not doing anything special myself. This was done in libgdx in Java, so all that I am doing is telling the library to load and display a png with a transparent background and it just gets handled.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
Still working on my turn-based strategy-game.

Multi-player over network is working.

Next weekend will be dedicated to making some sort of gamestate-hash algorithm and fixing up the storage-formats for maps, unit-data and tile-data - making them easier to sync across sockets in case of synchronization failures.

Edit: progress has been slow due to the fact that I'm still adjusting to having a full-time job.

Edit 2: the first thing I'm going to do once my game is properly up and running is to do a 100 player, 10-team battle with AIs only and record it.

TZer0 fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 23, 2015

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Do you have an AI in place yet?

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

toiletbrush posted:

Do you have an AI in place yet?

Yeah, a simple aggressive AI with rudimentary combat analysis. It still lacks some concepts like knowing how to capture things, repair units or deploy units.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

As I grind away on BeagleSNES, I've come to the realization that there is no way I'm going to everything done that needs to be done for this release. At least, it won't be done in a reasonable timeframe. Downloads of BeagleSNES have tripled since it was mentioned on Hackaday (especially since they added it to the list of BeagleBone projects the editors follow closely), so I'm shifting into "released is better than perfect" mode and cutting a variety of things out for this release: LCD cape support, GPIO input, kernel optimizations, etc. I've started digging through my notebooks to see where I'm at:

I have three spiral-bound notebooks with pages of items like this. No kidding. I've added a lot of stuff since the last release, the least of which are the new emulators. Out of 237 items on the "must do" list, I only have about a dozen left for the next release. :choco:

I've also been troubleshooting a deadlock warning in the SGX kernel driver for OpenGL ES support:

But you now what? Screw that. I'm too tired with this right now to try and fix platform features for free when I have my own software that I'm trying to get released. I've already patched the kernel in a few places to get everything running better, and I just don't have the energy to get into the rest of it. Profiling show that emulation performance looks good:

... so I think I'm getting close to a release. At this point, I'm cleaning up debugging info and doing some testing. I don't plan on optimizing the boot time or any of that because it is time-consuming to do and I want to get this thing released. On the bright side, I'll have more time to work on this now that I'm out of crunch time at work and getting caught up on stuff.

The Android book is doing OK on Amazon after its release on the 18th:

No actual numbers on the sales until the weekly update thing runs. Amazon has a whole web portal for authors that tracks book sales for you, which is actually pretty neat. You register a book as being yours and then its statistics show up. You can also set up an author page that is linked to on the book page, set up contests/giveaways for books, and all that stuff.

I don't know who that is, and I'm surprised that two people found that review helpful. :haw: No one has called me "Andy" for over 15 years, so my guess is that it is someone who knew me in high school or college.

hendersa fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 27, 2015

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I just recorded some footage of the current version running on my HDMI television: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJjHpFnkhdA

:dance:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The thing that impresses me the most is how legible and pretty your handwriting is, especially the signal graphs (I think it was for the controllers) on the other thread.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

HardDisk posted:

The thing that impresses me the most is how legible and pretty your handwriting is, especially the signal graphs (I think it was for the controllers) on the other thread.

Really? The spiral notebooks are full of my "sloppy" handwriting because I'm usually scribbling in there as fast as I possibly can to dump as much info as I can ASAP. But hey, if my sloppy handwriting is neat to other people, awesome. I keep the engineering notebooks (like the one with the signal timing graphs that you mentioned) very neat, though.

And speaking of awesome, check this bad-boy out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnWxf2hWFcw

That video is unlisted at the moment, but it is the release trailer for the new version of BeagleSNES with all of the new emulators in it. Once I get the code and images packaged up and uploaded, I'll switch it over to public. I thought it was a lot of work to capture and edit footage for one console, but now I'm doing it for four. Those scenes with all four emulators on the screen at once were a thorough pain to put together. Looks pretty decent, though the resolutions are slightly different for the different platforms so I couldn't get a clean four-way split screen. Sorry if it kicks up your OCD.

hendersa fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 1, 2015

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

hendersa posted:

And speaking of awesome, check this bad-boy out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnWxf2hWFcw

This is sweet as hell.
Pro click zone 2015.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
For future reference, if you render into a vertical resolution of 720 or higher, you'll use YouTube's HD pipeline instead of their legacy pipeline which makes the encode on their side a lot better. I don't know what you used to edit that together, but if you can do a re-render and upload, that would probably improve the quality tremendously.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
An old MMO I played was abandoned by the original author (he also shut down the update service, so no one can download it anymore), I asked and received written permission to play with it, crowdfund, do whatever.
Ended up writing a drop-in reverse-engineered-protocol replacement for the (originally VB6 and rather unsafe, and the author lost the source years ago) server in python out of boredom. Also shivved in single sign on/Xenforo/JWT support for authenticating against in-game accounts for forum and support tickets.

Considering 'relaunching' it as a free game, and seeing what happens.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Nice, sort of reminds me of the work done way back when for open tibia servers.

What was the game called?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Not a screenshot, but I'm making patches for my synth update and made a quick video of one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSLh4kqZT3M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

My first little hardware project. I made it so I can take a bitmap and generate the C code to display the image.