Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Jiro posted:

If he hated himself that badly we would have way less physically handicapped white people alive in this state.
Maybe one less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dameius posted:

I'm bracing for being without power for a week. There's barely been any movement on my zipcode on the tracker.

The number of people with outages in my zip code has been going up!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Everything's fine here in Midtown/Montrose. From what friends are saying, Spring Branch and Heights got hit real hard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You need to live near the rich people. George Bush's weather machine kept The Woodlands safe.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Funny enough the “rich side” of Kingwood got absolutely wrecked by Harvey so lol at that

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Everything's fine here in Midtown/Montrose. From what friends are saying, Spring Branch and Heights got hit real hard.

garden oaks/oak forest got hosed too. just a bad scene in those areas.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
It went Spring Branch, GOOF, Heights, Downtown. I guess it also hit Cypress, but that isn't Houston.

I drove to Brash along Clay/43rd and it was weird going from semi-normal to seeing the same uprooted trees that I had.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Before/After storm images a friend found. You can literally see where the worst wind went through.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's crazy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

texas city stays winning

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It may not have been continuous enough to technically get classified as a derecho, but the effects are identical. They used to call them "dry hurricanes", I can remember we had one when I lived in Amarillo as a kid, and I can still recall it blew our front door open.

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

And yet our Montrose apartment has had no power for 48 hours now

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Is it one of the new yuppie ones or one from when Montrose was cool?

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!
Built in the 60s, so arguably before it was cool :cool:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a friend of mine is in one of those old duplexes, he has had power this whole time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wow crazy

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

The inconsistency is places is for sure crazy. My power came back about 24 hours ago (thank the lord) but my front window looks out to a street that's perpendicular to ours, and it's completely dark still. I think we lucked out because behind us is some townhouses / apartments complexes so we're just connected to different infrastructure.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Frostyhawk posted:

And yet our Montrose apartment has had no power for 48 hours now

Rip

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Cael posted:

The inconsistency is places is for sure crazy. My power came back about 24 hours ago (thank the lord) but my front window looks out to a street that's perpendicular to ours, and it's completely dark still. I think we lucked out because behind us is some townhouses / apartments complexes so we're just connected to different infrastructure.

Buddy is on a street where 6 houses on one end of it are on the same grid link as a hospital and never lost power and the rest of the houses are on a different connect and lost power.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my hotel being adjacent to an urgent care is why I had to be at work for a week straight during the icepocalypse

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

centerpoint took down its outage tracker and instead they now just list a raw total of customers still without power and this extremely difficult to decipher (because it lacks streets other than highways) map. still, you can see a massive part of the city not expected to get power back til wednesday.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i understand that this is probably a very difficult problem to solve but it fuckign sucks to go through lol

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bury those lines is the answer but no one wants to pay for that

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

whoops the lines are flooded

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WEll here's yer problem

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Why shouldn't we have a bunch of wires and narrow metal structures sticking up all together in the air in one of the most violent storm prone areas of the nation if not the world??????

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Burying power lines is expensive and would cut into shareholder dividends.

E: although to be fair it probably is unreasonably expensive in a huge fuckin' marsh.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

burying the lines is also hard because a bunch of other poo poo is also buried and any digging has to account for it. you also have to account for bad or incomplete records of what is buried - it's not uncommon for construction to be delayed significantly because they were digging and hit something they didn't know was there. buried lines also make any repairs or upgrades very expensive and difficult. pros and cons!

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Burying power lines is expensive and would cut into shareholder dividends.

Don't be silly, it'd be covered under a rate case and users would pay for it as a TDSP charge for the next 84 years. Centerpoint's profit margin cuts for no one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My sister was saying that when they buried the utilities for The Woodlands, they used some weird system for mapping it and then lost the records or something. That explains why tachus blasted through a gas line when they were installing fiber and shut my entire street down. Then they had the utility company out there with rulers and spray paint to mark where they thought the line was vs where it actually is.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like I had a lot more power outages when I was a kid in Connecticut; I heard it explained as a result of Texas trees being more sparse and much smaller so they don't fall on powerlines. I was also closer to the coast then, so more in the hit range of big storms I guess.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

My sister was saying that when they buried the utilities for The Woodlands, they used some weird system for mapping it and then lost the records or something. That explains why tachus blasted through a gas line when they were installing fiber and shut my entire street down. Then they had the utility company out there with rulers and spray paint to mark where they thought the line was vs where it actually is.

Certainly not impossible, but knowing the owners of Tachus I also expect they didn't hire the best and brightest to bury their fiber.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My nephew is a fiber puller for them and he’s dumb as poo poo so yea that tracks

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

lobster shirt posted:

burying the lines is also hard because a bunch of other poo poo is also buried and any digging has to account for it. you also have to account for bad or incomplete records of what is buried - it's not uncommon for construction to be delayed significantly because they were digging and hit something they didn't know was there. buried lines also make any repairs or upgrades very expensive and difficult. pros and cons!

Where's that photo of a drilled up core that was just a bunch of now-severed cables?

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like I had a lot more power outages when I was a kid in Connecticut; I heard it explained as a result of Texas trees being more sparse and much smaller so they don't fall on powerlines. I was also closer to the coast then, so more in the hit range of big storms I guess.

This is true, and was a lot more true when we were younger. The lines are maintained much better now, I see tree crews working the lines at least once a year. The big difference is power outages last a couple few hours now compared to a day or two when I was a kid.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

power status: basically everywhere except my specific side of the street has power. the house across from me has lights on! but me and my neighbors do not. sick of the poo poo.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

power status: basically everywhere except my specific side of the street has power. the house across from me has lights on! but me and my neighbors do not. sick of the poo poo.

Got mine back Saturday morning between daylight and noon. I had raided my fridge to save some stuff when we left so the. rest was spoiled and was dreading having to clear that out in hot still air but instead got to leisurely get to it in AC.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Dameius posted:

Got mine back Saturday morning between daylight and noon. I had raided my fridge to save some stuff when we left so the. rest was spoiled and was dreading having to clear that out in hot still air but instead got to leisurely get to it in AC.

i threw all my stuff out on saturday morning, everything i tossed was still cool (and some still frozen) but im glad i did it because i bet my house would smell horrible by today. im grateful that having to toss a huge amount of food isnt like going to cause a financial crisis for me but man does it suck. i bet the garbage bin smells like a sewer lol.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

i threw all my stuff out on saturday morning, everything i tossed was still cool (and some still frozen) but im glad i did it because i bet my house would smell horrible by today. im grateful that having to toss a huge amount of food isnt like going to cause a financial crisis for me but man does it suck. i bet the garbage bin smells like a sewer lol.

I refuse to imagine what is brewing in my bin right now. At least pickup is tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mines not til thursday :suicide: