Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

Samples from "From Astral to Umbral" are up! Soken and Koji continue to own.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/ff14/atou/

Really glad the intro to Fallen Angel that they used at their Fanfest performance is on that track. Also that it's a combination of piano and rock arrangements, I'm a huge sucker for FF piano albums.

Is putting music on bluray a Japan thing, though? I get that it's the easiest way for a huge soundtrack like the ARR soundtrack (well, outside of digital distribution but it's Japan) but this is just 12 songs, not sure why it needs to be on a bluray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
This scholar I found has the best name I have seen in a while.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Zweihander01 posted:

Is putting music on bluray a Japan thing, though? I get that it's the easiest way for a huge soundtrack like the ARR soundtrack (well, outside of digital distribution but it's Japan) but this is just 12 songs, not sure why it needs to be on a bluray.
Blu-ray is capable of much higher quality music (24bit 192khz across 8 channels) with a much larger track list per disc, plus works in most existing Blu-ray players, including Playstation 3/4 and XBox One. Cheaper to produce than a multi-CD offering, plus much higher quality.

Most BD-ROM music releases also have MP3s on the disc, which can be retrieved over network using any of the aforementioned game consoles.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

PunkBoy posted:

Samples from "From Astral to Umbral" are up! Soken and Koji continue to own.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/ff14/atou/

:sbahj: I want that right now.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

cheetah7071 posted:

I speedrun because it's fun to go fast, and going faster lets you do more things (because each thing takes less time). If I died of boredom every time a tank took it easy I can't imagine how I'd still have my subscription active.

Taking it easy is one thing. The pulls after the second boss in Qarn HM are another. Three packs in a row you have to do singly, and one of them is a whole two mummies. There are a couple packs in Sastasha, too, that are only two completely non-threatening things with way too many hit points.

I agree with Stufoo, though, that these things would be far more entertaining as tank if there were some kind of trap to smash the mobs into. The yeti in Snowcloak is fun for similar reasons. I'd love to see more fights like that.

Niton posted:

It's nice for dungeons to be speedrunnable, but it's also important to keep the actual number of mobs in each pack manageable for average tanks / healers & non-BLM players. When pulls get too large, everyone except Black Mages and Dragoon+Bard start falling behind in clear speed by a noticable amount. The ideal number is like 5 or 6 mobs, maybe? But it's not a huge deal until you get to the Flox/Tam-Tara/SV Hard style mob stacks, where certain classes really struggle at producing that much AoE.

I agree with this. Two packs at a time is generally a good number because the healer can usually still help out, and melee aren't as severely outclassed by BLMs and BRDs. It's a good middle ground. The forced single packs in several parts of the 2.4 dungeons are pretty amazingly boring, though. Having a gate that stops you from gathering up too much is understandable, but splitting everything up into forced single packs is going too far.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Some people on Reddit have been comparing stats on the Zodiac weapons to see what the most efficient way to stat your Nexus out is.

If I'm understanding it correctly, if you do the standard three stat build and go 23 Det/33 Crit/19 Acc, your Zodiac gives you +2 Det, +3 Crit, and +1 Accuracy, for a total of 81 bonus stats. If you do 23/30/22, you get +2, +3, +2, for a total of 82 bonus stats. I'm certain it doesn't really matter, but I wonder if it's worth giving up three crit for four accuracy.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

fadam posted:

Some people on Reddit have been comparing stats on the Zodiac weapons to see what the most efficient way to stat your Nexus out is.

If I'm understanding it correctly, if you do the standard three stat build and go 23 Det/33 Crit/19 Acc, your Zodiac gives you +2 Det, +3 Crit, and +1 Accuracy, for a total of 81 bonus stats. If you do 23/30/22, you get +2, +3, +2, for a total of 82 bonus stats. I'm certain it doesn't really matter, but I wonder if it's worth giving up three crit for four accuracy.

The short answer is no. The long answer is accuracy on your weapon is a dump stat because you can now and have always been able to gear around a weapon with no accuracy and still hit caps. Once you've hit the caps, accuracy is the same as not having a substat at all. You're not trading three crit for four accuracy; you are giving away three crit for no purpose whatsoever at some point in the future when your other gear brings you up to the cap naturally, if you're not already there. Putting aside the fact that all this only matters in the latest version of Coil and is a complete non-issue if you're not running that.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

got into a group tonight that expected me to know what was going on when everyone in the group was in guild voice chat except me

on the plus side i got enough poetics to get my new robes so I consider this a victory. gently caress the haters

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Everybody was hyping agent of inquiry as a wedding song, but they missed the best one. Papa-ya is an option.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

cheetah7071 posted:

Everybody was hyping agent of inquiry as a wedding song, but they missed the best one. Papa-ya is an option.

Papa-ya is a great song. It is my favorite background music. I get so much done.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Literally nobody in the PF on Exodus knows how to T5 and not die before the loving conflags I loving swear. Soak team runs away from fireballs. Other dragoons killing snakes. And my FC are being coy about trying to help me get through it because I missed out on most of the clear attemps.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stone of Courage
Rock of Valor
Chunk of Heroism
Hunk of Resolve
Chip of Moxie
Pebble of Fortitude
Boulder of Daring
Megalith of Audacity
Slab of Chutzpah
Block of Intrepidity
Grit of Hardiness
Gravel of Manhood

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I happened to have my parser running during the longest Garuda HM I've done in months.

The more I look at this the more I laugh. That was strangely fun, though.

Dazzling Klaxon
Nov 4, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

Basically, don't wring your hands about it. Yoshi knows what he's doing.

There've been some fumbles lately, and I'm surprised they introduced these newly designed relics prior to 3.0. Maybe there'll be an entirely new quest, and these will be trophies. Also, aren't you Space Kimchi?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Did you actually have a MRD in Garuda HM, or is that just a wrong label in the software?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Dazzling Klaxon posted:

There've been some fumbles lately, and I'm surprised they introduced these newly designed relics prior to 3.0. Maybe there'll be an entirely new quest, and these will be trophies. Also, aren't you Space Kimchi?

My guess is that this is some sort of an early access thing. A way of converting the old relic over to a new relic chain. I would not be TOO shocked to find a quest that creates these weapons when we start in on Ishgard. It's particularly telling that a LOT of these weapons have dragon inspired imagery tied to them.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone have a recruitment code? I'm about to buy a subscription.

Also I just want to say how cool it is to me that this Arcanist I've been levelling feels very close to the Affliction Warlock I liked in WoW so much. Except I've got better mobility now. And more reliable resource generation. It's rad!

vv Got it, thank you!

a messed up horse fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 13, 2014

sixtyVolts
Apr 29, 2004

a messed up horse posted:

Anyone have a recruitment code? I'm about to buy a subscription.

Also I just want to say how cool it is to me that this Arcanist I've been levelling feels very close to the Affliction Warlock I liked in WoW so much. Except I've got better mobility now. And more reliable resource generation. It's rad!

Recruitment code: KXBQ74GE

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think I've found the reason why pubbie newbies tend to run ahead and pull everything.

I mean, look at this. This is how the standard party is represented in fantasy artwork. You have the physical DPS upfront, the summoner has the wrong pet out, and the tank is trying to cover the two magic users.

Weltnarok
Dec 27, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

Literally nobody in the PF on Exodus knows how to T5 and not die before the loving conflags I loving swear. Soak team runs away from fireballs. Other dragoons killing snakes. And my FC are being coy about trying to help me get through it because I missed out on most of the clear attemps.

Hit me up whenever we're both on next, we help people through T5 all the time for that sweet, sweet soldiery bonus.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

OWLS! posted:

I think I've found the reason why pubbie newbies tend to run ahead and pull everything.

I mean, look at this. This is how the standard party is represented in fantasy artwork. You have the physical DPS upfront, the summoner has the wrong pet out, and the tank is trying to cover the two magic users.

Magic user and rogue! :goonsay:

Tossing my recruitment code into the fray, have at it. DUDMW5ZY

EDIT: Someone had at it! Let me know if you're on Excalibur and want someone to heal your poor rear end, Ys'nyanave Rhaka.

Rhaka fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 13, 2014

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

OWLS! posted:

That strategy works in pen and paper gaming though because monsters don't go straight for the tank outside of D&D4e and everybody other than the magic users are less squishy.

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread
If anyone would like a fresh recruitment code: J2TG2UNY

Exponential Decay
Sep 10, 2009

i bound fire to q
Recruitment code: 7TTBW2K3

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kwyndig posted:

That strategy works in pen and paper gaming though because monsters don't go straight for the tank outside of D&D4e and everybody other than the magic users are less squishy.

In 2nd edition D&D a high level mage (with spells up) is likely the most durable member of your party unless you're fighting things that can dispel/breach/pierce/etc his spells. :rolldice:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In 3.5 a high level mage doesn't even care about those things.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

In 4th Edition he only cares when it's almost his 9 PM bedtime and he has violin lessons tomorrow

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I'd make a joke about fifth edition but I like just got the book and haven't gotten too into it yet

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
it's p. bad

mlyp

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

In 2nd edition D&D a high level mage (with spells up) is likely the most durable member of your party unless you're fighting things that can dispel/breach/pierce/etc his spells. :rolldice:

So what you're saying is that this should be what the DoM tank should be?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Kwyndig posted:

Keep in mind it works because the enemies tend to actually be intelligent enough to know it's smarter to kill the weak person first, rather than instantly being swayed just because the "tank" yelled at them.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Killsion posted:

Keep in mind it works because the enemies tend to actually be intelligent enough to know it's smarter to kill the weak person first, rather than instantly being swayed just because the "tank" yelled at them.
Depends on how much of an rear end in a top hat the DM wants to be. A clever DM can use that anticipation as a ruse, having some enemies completely ignore the melee, then turn around and kick the poo poo out of them once they're surrounded.

Might just be the campaigns I've played, but I've always found tanks most useful when they're running interference to give casters time to do their thing and not when they're actually trying to "tank." Much heavier emphasis on control than being a meat shield.

Varance fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 13, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Do any of y'all have a horde of bots running around Summerford too? I'm near the end of Nexus farming so I've been doing a few quick fates while waiting for trial queues to speed things up, and at first I just thought a few guys were farming company seals or something, but then like, no matter when I logged on, 24 hours a day, they'd be there, beelining from fate to fate. Not taking shortcuts, always taking the long way to get anywhere, never jumping, and always just spamming their most basic, comboless attacks, no AOE.

It's amazing, you can actually gently caress with them kinda hard since they don't dodge enemy AOE and will freeze if you manage to get them to move outside of the FATE barrier so they level desynch by wiggling a mob around.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rei_ posted:

Do any of y'all have a horde of bots running around Summerford too? I'm near the end of Nexus farming so I've been doing a few quick fates while waiting for trial queues to speed things up, and at first I just thought a few guys were farming company seals or something, but then like, no matter when I logged on, 24 hours a day, they'd be there, beelining from fate to fate. Not taking shortcuts, always taking the long way to get anywhere, never jumping, and always just spamming their most basic, comboless attacks, no AOE.

It's amazing, you can actually gently caress with them kinda hard since they don't dodge enemy AOE and will freeze if you manage to get them to move outside of the FATE barrier so they level desynch by wiggling a mob around.

Sargantanas has the Titan Earth chain, shard miners, and black mages who port around underground in Central Thanalan. Titan Earth are the worst, though - it's a guy who sits at his keyboard botting 6 characters, so he's gone over a year without any reprimand despite clearly not playing the game.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

My interactions with RMT has basically been me crafting them stuff and them buying it off of me on the mb, they pay well enough and it moves pretty fast at certain times.

That's pretty much stopped now that I'm mostly just doing 4 star though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

May as well throw mine up: C3JNDAEH

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

HiKaizer posted:

Did you actually have a MRD in Garuda HM, or is that just a wrong label in the software?

That is not an error. It's just one of many hilarious parts to that run.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Had the most amazing PUB Cutter's Cry last night. Completed it with 3 minutes, 43 seconds left on the clock! It was truly a wonderful experience that makes me never want to run with pubbies again..

It all started when the Healer let us wipe 4x on the 1st boss of CC. Then the tank rudely told him to do his loving job, which ruffled the healer so much, that instead of apologizing for failing to do his 1 loving job in the dungeon, starts going off on the most epic insult rant I've ever seen a pubby do. Then to make it worse, the tank gets so pissed off, he starts purposely getting the Healer killed off by walking the boss's attacks over to the healer. Which wasn't really necessary because the Healer ate every single one of the 2nd boss' charge attacks and I spent most of the time healing.

Then the Tank and Healer spend 15 minutes trying to Vote kick each other while they're both sitting in front of the 2nd boss' door. The other dps and I got fed up, kicked the the next person to get Votekicked, which was the Tank, so we beat the 2nd and Final boss in under 15 minutes... What a terrible waste of an hour.

Now I know, if I'm ever in a dungeon with another elitist rear end in a top hat, I'll just quit out and same myself the headache.

fullTimeLurker fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 14, 2014

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

fullTimeLurker posted:

Had the most amazing PUB Cutter's Cry last night. Completed it with 3 minutes, 43 seconds left on the clock! It was truly a wonderful experience that makes me never want to run with pubbies again..

It all started when the Healer let us wipe 4x on the 1st boss of CC. Then the tank rudely told him to do his loving job, which ruffled the healer so much, that instead of apologizing for failing to do his 1 loving job in the dungeon, starts going off on the most epic insult rant I've ever seen a pubby do. Then to make it worse, the tank gets so pissed off, he starts purposely getting the Healer killed off by walking the boss's attacks over to the healer. Which wasn't really necessary because the Healer ate every single one of the 2nd boss' charge attacks and I spent most of the time healing.

Then the Tank and Healer spend 15 minutes trying to Vote kick each other while they're both sitting in front of the 2nd boss' door. The other dps and I got fed up, kicked the the next person to get Votekicked, which was the Tank, so we beat the 2nd and Final boss in under 15 minutes... What a terrible waste of an hour.

Now I know, if I'm ever in a dungeon with another elitist rear end in a top hat, I'll just quit out and same myself the headache.

holy christ that chat there are way to many words in there for me to care also you need to fix your linkerino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

fullTimeLurker posted:

Is that link meant for ants?

• Locked thread