Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Luke Miani has mentioned that it seems the only major new feature of the A17 Pro in the TimPhone 15, which is eventually what the M3 in desktop/laptops will be based on, is the hardware accelerated raytracing that wasn't ready in time for the previous chip.

He claims the CPU is literally just a cut-and-paste of the A16 cores, with the only improvement of ~10% coming from the new 3 nm architecture.

He's wrong. Take a look at the geekbench numbers that have been popping up, for example:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/compare/2650643?baseline=2653614

What you'd expect if it was just the same CPU with clock speed boosted from 3.46 to 3.77 (about 1.09x): every individual benchmark in the suite should be about 9% faster, with some minor variance due to the inherent randomness in benchmarking. Instead, the improvement is almost always more than 9%, there's a lot of variance, and the best improvement is nearly 30%. There's a lot more going on here than just a small clock speed bump.

Don't trust Luke Miani. He's just some goober with a flannel shirt who makes videos, he doesn't actually know anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BobHoward posted:

He's wrong. Take a look at the geekbench numbers that have been popping up, for example:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/compare/2650643?baseline=2653614

What you'd expect if it was just the same CPU with clock speed boosted from 3.46 to 3.77 (about 1.09x): every individual benchmark in the suite should be about 9% faster, with some minor variance due to the inherent randomness in benchmarking. Instead, the improvement is almost always more than 9%, there's a lot of variance, and the best improvement is nearly 30%. There's a lot more going on here than just a small clock speed bump.

Hmm, yeah, a lot of benchmarks are above 10%, with one (Photo Filter) being 29.8% faster, that's pretty significant and by the numbers, a lot more than the 10% he thinks all the benches should be showing.

Thanks for pointing that out!

quote:

Don't trust Luke Miani. He's just some goober with a flannel shirt who makes videos, he doesn't actually know anything.

I didn't trust him since he tried shoving NAND modules into a Mac Mini without the blessing from Apple System Configuration, now even less reason to trust him. :v:

He's right up down there with Lie-nuhs Blech Tips IMHO

The hardware raytracing is a pretty significant upgrade, I wonder if Metal 3 app stuff like Resident Evil will take advantage of it.

I do know it dovetails with Apple's VR goals and at least any app whose development started recently should be able to take advantage..

Vain hope of future M3 MacBook Air owners that their purchase will be a decent gaming machine inches closer to reality..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 18, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Warbird posted:

The latter, ESPN, no idea. Though given that the full screen video is the only time the player shows Chromecast as an option and also is “full” full screen (doesn’t respect the notch) I suspect it’s entirely possible they haven’t.

E: Per their documentation it does but it may just be badly made?

Try YouTube, use the in-player AirPlay option. If that works, it's the ESPN player.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

I didn't trust him since he tried shoving NAND modules into a Mac Mini without the blessing from Apple System Configuration, now even less reason to trust him. :v:

He's right up down there with Lie-nuhs Blech Tips IMHO

Oh man I forgot it was Miani who did one of those cringe nand module swap videos.

I dunno if I'd go as far as comparing him to Linus though. If you haven't been following the Lie-nus Theft Tips thread in recent times, well, the thread title isn't really a joke!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Luke is fine relative to the rest of Mac YouTubers. LTT has knowledgeable mac staff but he’s already locked his brand into weird expected reporting on macs.

And Luke didn’t do nand swap in a vacuum it was mostly dosdude. Better to fail and document it on your big platform than not.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

BobHoward posted:

Oh man I forgot it was Miani who did one of those cringe nand module swap videos.

I dunno if I'd go as far as comparing him to Linus though. If you haven't been following the Lie-nus Theft Tips thread in recent times, well, the thread title isn't really a joke!

Is that the YouTube thread?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I replaced my 2013 13" MBP with a 13" MB Air M2 and my god it feels like it weighs nothing. And I'm shocked by how good the speakers sound compared to the old one.

Edit: VVV yes, retina model

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 21, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Your 2013 was retina right? I just replaced my moms 2012 mbp13 with a 2014 mbp13.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I honestly don't know how USB-C works with all the different things it can do. Is there some chip that handles that?

-USB data
-Thunderbolt data
-Display port video signal (with USB at the same time)
-100+ watts of power

I guess it can do power and 1 type of data but not ever 2 types of data (except DP+USB). The different types of data and power seem to need to be connected to different components of a system so there's got to be some sort of handshaking and switching. I guess that handshaking is some sort of standard? And its backwards compatible with devices that were made pre USB-C era connected over adapters. Just wild.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Is that the YouTube thread?

yes. The fireworks start here, when forums poster SlowBloke posted a link to a GamersNexus callout video titled "The Problem with Linus Tech Tips: Accuracy, Ethics, & Responsibility"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859604&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=189#post533884894

This started a meltdown at LTT. They keep on proving that GN's critiques were pretty well founded; "Lie-nus" refers to the fact that Linus Sebastian's first response contained a whopper of a lie.

As the controversy built, a former LTT employee added fuel to the fire. "Fuel" doesn't do it justice, it's more like she threw a giant bomb into the fire. The sudden widespread criticism of LTT made her able to feel safe finally talking to the public about why she'd left LTT - persistent long-term harassment, both sexual and nonsexual. She also revealed how loving useless LTT's HR was at dealing with this, including gems like 'you're obligated to try to work things out with your harasser before going to HR'. Linus isn't personally implicated in the harassment, but the organization he built and the values he brings to it are rotten.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Don’t care.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I’ve always thought that guy was full of crap. I remember watching a video ages ago and he confidently stated some weird wrong info about Mac’s and that was it for me

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

BobHoward posted:

yes. The fireworks start here, when forums poster SlowBloke posted a link to a GamersNexus callout video titled "The Problem with Linus Tech Tips: Accuracy, Ethics, & Responsibility"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859604&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=189#post533884894

This started a meltdown at LTT. They keep on proving that GN's critiques were pretty well founded; "Lie-nus" refers to the fact that Linus Sebastian's first response contained a whopper of a lie.

As the controversy built, a former LTT employee added fuel to the fire. "Fuel" doesn't do it justice, it's more like she threw a giant bomb into the fire. The sudden widespread criticism of LTT made her able to feel safe finally talking to the public about why she'd left LTT - persistent long-term harassment, both sexual and nonsexual. She also revealed how loving useless LTT's HR was at dealing with this, including gems like 'you're obligated to try to work things out with your harasser before going to HR'. Linus isn't personally implicated in the harassment, but the organization he built and the values he brings to it are rotten.

Couple o points

1. SA had nothing to do with the LTT meltdown, it wasn't started by anything here. I know that's probably not what you mean but just to clarify

2. Not do downplay the seriousness of any of the workplace allegations, but in real terms the whole controversy has blown over as far as I can tell. Looks like they're basically back to business as usual?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

Couple o points

1. SA had nothing to do with the LTT meltdown, it wasn't started by anything here. I know that's probably not what you mean but just to clarify

2. Not do downplay the seriousness of any of the workplace allegations, but in real terms the whole controversy has blown over as far as I can tell. Looks like they're basically back to business as usual?

1 - yes didn't mean to imply otherwise, can see if someone might read it that way

2 - for sure LTT is going to be fine. They lost some revenue but the remaining fans are either blissfully unaware or, if aware, fully in defense mode. They don't care that the company is a shitshow and it goes all the way to the top (or flows down from the top, really).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone with a trashcan want a 64GB Samsung DIMM kit (for a song)? Memtest passed. No, I'm not parting out my trashcan. I just swapped out the DIMMs for dark blue ones that look more like the factory black ones because I'm vain like that.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I've got this Startech dual ethernet adapter. I'm trying to rename each port in MacOS so I know which port is which but for whatever reason it won't remember the name and pops up as the default name. It used to work before I got this laptop repaired but for whatever reason won't remember the names. What am I missing here?

Cool Uncle
Dec 23, 2011
I'm looking to buy a few Macs for my medical practice. There's no particular reason I need Macs, but since I need to buy computers anyway, I might as well make purchases that retain some value. Please correct me if this isn't true anymore.

These computers will be used to access the Chrome-based electronic medical record (eClinicalWorks) plus web browsing. I need two kinds:
1. I have some monitors and PC peripherals lying around, so I thought a couple of minis might be good. iMacs seem like a good option too, especially if I would avoid issues with things not looking right on a PC monitor.
2. I also need a laptop to carry from room to room.

Do any recommended models come to mind for what I assume is a light use case?

Cool Uncle fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 23, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo6l_whDeE

Ze germans are on it. Take that Tim Apple.

Just amazing that we've had decades of laptops and Apple laptops that don't require lid sensor calibration but now we do.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 23, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cool Uncle posted:

I'm looking to buy a few Macs for my medical practice. There's no particular reason I need Macs, but since I need to buy computers anyway, I might as well make purchases that retain some value. Please correct me if this isn't true anymore.

These computers will be used to access the Chrome-based electronic medical record (eClinicalWorks) plus web browsing. I need two kinds:
1. I have some monitors and PC peripherals lying around, so I thought a couple of minis might be good. iMacs seem like a good option too, especially if I would avoid issues with things not looking right on a PC monitor.

Minis and a laptop are fine. You want 16GB of RAM in all of them for future proofing. Do NOT get the 13 inch MacBook Pro with TouchPad, any other laptop is fine. Any model of M1 or M2 processor will be fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arivia posted:

Minis and a laptop are fine. You want 16GB of RAM in all of them for future proofing. Do NOT get the 13 inch MacBook Pro with TouchPad, any other laptop is fine. Any model of M1 or M2 processor will be fine.

This, or you can wait for M3 for maximum future-proof

Depending on how many displays you want to connect your laptop to at a time you might be best off with a 14/16” MBP of some flavor, different tiers of processor can drive different numbers of display.

iMacs would work just as well as Minis if you didn’t want to use the displays you already have, or you could use them as second displays/wall mount them/etc.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Cool Uncle posted:

Depending on the exact workload an iPad might be cheaper and easier than the MacBook, though a base model MacBook Air M1 or M2 is definitely a solid choice. For what I’m assuming is a clerical environment, it might not be necessary to upgrade to 16GB of RAM; even with 8GB they’re powerful, snappy machines.

For the desktops the Mini’s are very good, just make sure your peripherals can actually connect to them without having to spend a bunch on adapters. They have HDMI and USB-A along with the Thunderbolt/USB-C connections.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Am I looking at something wrong here? The starting price of the M2 Air is clearly $1,099 on the "Which Laptop is Right for You" page; then when I go to add it to my bag the price is $999. Not complaining, just want to make sure I don't mistakenly buy an M1.

https://imgur.com/a/1lGaaM1

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mentholmoose posted:

Depending on the exact workload an iPad might be cheaper and easier than the MacBook

lol unless there’s an app for that (and there very well likely is), prolly not

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Sock The Great posted:

Am I looking at something wrong here? The starting price of the M2 Air is clearly $1,099 on the "Which Laptop is Right for You" page; then when I go to add it to my bag the price is $999. Not complaining, just want to make sure I don't mistakenly buy an M1.

https://imgur.com/a/1lGaaM1

It is accurately listed as an M2, so I would take advantage of the situation and go with it. Enjoy your new Mac!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
are you in the education store?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So are Mac and iOS device GPUs exactly the same arch just core count and clocks different? Are there different versions of metal like there is for DirectX? I suppose the ray tracing extensions are new.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Dammit I got offered another fully loaded trashcan for $300.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m debating tossing Linux on the MBP 2013 I don’t use anymore now that it’s no longer supported. Is there a central place/project for this sort of thing or do I just need to go google around and find what folks have gotten to work?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shaocaholica posted:

Dammit I got offered another fully loaded trashcan for $300.

drat I’d probably buy that just for the sheer fun of it. Don’t suppose they want to ship?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

EL BROMANCE posted:

drat I’d probably buy that just for the sheer fun of it. Don’t suppose they want to ship?

I would be easier if I shipped it and I already committed to getting it. Just not sure if I really want 2 for long term.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah neat, well if you get bored and can’t find a use for it I’ll probably be up for it. Just shout in this thread!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I would be easier if I shipped it and I already committed to getting it. Just not sure if I really want 2 for long term.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

People in my area are still asking $5-800 for the trash cans.

I want one, but it’s gotta be priced right.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

TheMadMilkman posted:

People in my area are still asking $5-800 for the trash cans.

I want one, but it’s gotta be priced right.

Right at $50 cause it fuckin sucks

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya, but I own a Pippin. I have an Apple failure kink.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 28, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Utterly deranged

Use this coat hanger to push the power button through this hole (kidding)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqAqOxyWDYc

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 28, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
would be hilarious to see them bring back the xserve with apple silicon under the guise of saving on cooling or something

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl_ZQjxzjHU

TYOOL 2023: We have 134 billion transistor Ultra chip
TYOOL 2023: Also, you can attach your rackmount computers USB external storage with this double sided tape (tape may need to be trimmed with scissors)

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 28, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I always thought that bluetooth delay was mostly due to the receiver and not the sender. At least I know that's true with my car (12yrs worth of different iPhones and all the same delay). Well I just bought a Creative Stage SE BT speaker for a desktop setup and connected it to my 2015 MBP to test and the delay was awful. Completely unusable for movies or anything that requires picture and sound sync. I just thought it was the speakers fault. A direct USB audio connection was perfectly in sync. I just hooked it up to my trashcan which is even older than the 2015 MBP and the BT sync is spot on with no perceptible delay. So it was the MBP that was the cause of the delay? Seems odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shaocaholica posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl_ZQjxzjHU

TYOOL 2023: We have 134 billion transistor Ultra chip
TYOOL 2023: Also, you can attach your rackmount computers USB external storage with this double sided tape (tape may need to be trimmed with scissors)

I've always found the sonnet rack mount kits to be sorta haphazard compared to myelectronic ones

https://www.myelectronics.nl/us/mac-studio-empower-station-rack-mount-19-inch.html

Their mini and studio kits don't look like they would turn into powder after a week like the sonnet do.