Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I personally don't think they will. They've never bothered to crush medical marijuana and that's exactly as illegal as taxed and regulated marijuana. They raid a dispensary here or there but they've never taken a large stand against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Given the way we treat alcohol, it seems really bizarre how we treat marijuana. Want to go to a liquor store and fill up a shopping cart? Go ahead! It's a free country! Want to get super loving high? Well, you only get one ounce, mister, this stuff's dangerous, haven't you heard?*

*Offer only applicable in WA, CO

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Given the way we treat alcohol, it seems really bizarre how we treat marijuana. Want to go to a liquor store and fill up a shopping cart? Go ahead! It's a free country! Want to get super loving high? Well, you only get one ounce, mister, this stuff's dangerous, haven't you heard?*

There's tons of places in America where you can't buy any alcohol at all, and others where the hours and days are severely restricted.

Red counties have alcohol sales banned, yellow counties have alcohol sales banned in parts of the county, blue have no bans and gray have no data.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

There's tons of places in America where you can't buy any alcohol at all, and others where the hours and days are severely restricted.

Red counties have alcohol sales banned, yellow counties have alcohol sales banned in parts of the county, blue have no bans and gray have no data.

It's amazing how many maps I see that make me love my home state (Colorado) even more <3

Also, it must loving blow to live in KY, TX, TN, KS, MI, NC, or OH as a non-teetotaler :( (unless you live in one of the handful of blue counties on this map)

synftw
Jun 14, 2007
Chaos-Gnostic Satanist

Dudes! posted:

The Scythians used to get high on weed an d drink from the shkulls of the people that they killed!!!!!!!!!!! :black101:

Thanks, Herodotus! (they used to build tents then fishbowl them)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Install Gentoo posted:

Here in Indiana, we gently caress up a lot of things, but we do alcohol sales quite alright.

We've got some State Senator pushing a weed legalization bill for next session, but it won't pass.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I also view dry counties as a pretty good argument against keeping marijuana illegal overall. In a dry county, you can still have alcohol, but selling it is illegal, it makes it harder to obtain and all that. We could totally have the same thing if marijuana gets legalized nationwide, so places where people don't want it can ban the sale and feel all good about themselves for it without contributing to the whole prison complex stuff!

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Install Gentoo posted:

I also view dry counties as a pretty good argument against keeping marijuana illegal overall. In a dry county, you can still have alcohol, but selling it is illegal, it makes it harder to obtain and all that. We could totally have the same thing if marijuana gets legalized nationwide, so places where people don't want it can ban the sale and feel all good about themselves for it without contributing to the whole prison complex stuff!

I'm sort of wondering if, instead of a big showdown with the federal government, we get a patchwork of state-by-state actions that leave half the country legalized and the other half trying (and failing) to crack down. I could imagine California legalizing and Texas being a worse place to get caught in 5 years time.

Even if the federal government legalized or rescheduled weed tomorrow, all those individual state laws would still be in place.

It's possible the prison industry will focus more resources on elections in large (and therefore most profitable) states like California, too.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It's amazing how many maps I see that make me love my home state (Colorado) even more <3

Also, it must loving blow to live in KY, TX, TN, KS, MI, NC, or OH as a non-teetotaler :( (unless you live in one of the handful of blue counties on this map)

The map isn't really telling you that much. I live in a county marked yellow and I can buy any amount of alcohol at any time from the grocery store except liquor on Sunday between midnight and noon.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I call bullshit on the Michigan part of the map. I've lived here my entire life, and I've never heard of a dry county here. You can find hard liquor in the grocery stores.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChipNDip posted:

I call bullshit on the Michigan part of the map. I've lived here my entire life, and I've never heard of a dry county here. You can find hard liquor in the grocery stores.

Read again. Yellow counties have dry towns/cities/communities but are not dry in the entire county.

Usually you will find some rich snooty enclave, or particularly bible thumping place will vote themselves dry.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ChipNDip posted:

Salt Fish posted:

The map isn't really telling you that much. I live in a county marked yellow and I can buy any amount of alcohol at any time from the grocery store except liquor on Sunday between midnight and noon.

Fair enough, this map probably isn't the best representation of local liquor laws. For example, you guys live in a mostly-yellow states/counties on this map but can buy liquor in grocery stores; I live in an entirely-blue state and can't buy anything but 3.2% beer anywhere outside of an actual liquor store :(

I still love Colorado though :) Especially after election day!

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

cargo cult posted:

Yeah it's probably safer to attribute classical and medieval heroism to a lifetime of PTSD than it is to shrooms.

I really want to believe this is true though

Are you calling Herodotus the father of all lies a liar?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kenshin posted:

Probably not Coors. I don't think cannabis directly competes with beer.

Of course cannabis competes with beer. They're rivals goods. Coors might not be competing directly with pot growers, but some percentage of people will choose to use legal marijuana rather than drink alcohol.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
Trafficking alcohol is a huge thing up here in Alaska, and to me it just shows that making rural areas dry is the legislative equivalent of 'Native Alaskans are too infantile to drink responsibly'. I can not see how anyone in their right mind thinks prohibition solves any of the problems it proposes to, all you get is people making rot gut booze in trash bags, among other DIY fermenting, or paying ridiculous prices for lovely alcohol someone bought in the Anchorage/Wasilla area then brought up north.

Back on the legalization topic, we have a state constitutional right to possess an amount of marijuana in the home. Never mind that you can't transport it or anything, so how do people get plants without breaking the law? It seems really half assed, short sighted, or even spiteful towards those who possess.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Yeah, that map is sort of misleading. I lived in a few yellow counties in MI and never had the slightest problem buying beer or liquor, because what that map doesn't account for is the size of the wet/dry towns. MI has a ton of weird little jurisdictions so all it takes is one unincorporated township going dry and everything is Yellow. Now I live in UT, which is entirely blue, and it's a huge hassle to get my hands on anything above near beer.

Also I have a strong suspicion that towns having a Sunday morning blue law might be enough to get a county marked yellow- the only restriction I can remember is a few towns without alcohol sales before noon on Sundays, which is annoying but it's a stretch to call a city dry solely on that basis.

punched my v-card at camp fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 9, 2012

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The thing about Kentucky is that all the counties with large populations are blue. Everyone just goes into town to buy whatever it is they want and vote to keep their rural county's christian purity because they're a bunch of hypocrites.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tigntink posted:

I personally don't think they will. They've never bothered to crush medical marijuana and that's exactly as illegal as taxed and regulated marijuana. They raid a dispensary here or there but they've never taken a large stand against it.

The thing is that even a "raid here and there" is a MASSIVE "gently caress you just because we can" move on the DEA's part, just absolutely needless muscle flexing.

So glad that law enforcement is pretty much going "Welp!" in CO and WA, I hope the DEA is smart enough to do the same thing.

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

synftw posted:

Are you calling Herodatus a liar?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Dudes! posted:

Are you calling Herodotus the father of all lies a liar?
im sure black guys ejaculate black sperm and use dog-sized ants to mine amber

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

cargo cult posted:

im sure black guys ejaculate black sperm and use dog-sized ants to mine amber

fox sized ants and they mine gold.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Pope Guilty posted:

Here in Indiana, we gently caress up a lot of things, but we do alcohol sales quite alright.

Pfft call me back when they repeal the blue law.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Install Gentoo posted:

Read again. Yellow counties have dry towns/cities/communities but are not dry in the entire county.

Usually you will find some rich snooty enclave, or particularly bible thumping place will vote themselves dry.

Apparently in Texas a lot of those yellow counties only ban certain types of liquor (eg, everything above 12% ABV) instead of alcohol in general.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

The Maroon Hawk posted:

A good chunk of those yellow (partially dry) counties are beer and wine only, no liquor. It's a very odd line, but not all the yellow/red counties are no booze at all.

ThirdReichNRoll
Nov 21, 2005

synftw posted:

The skull cup thing is corroborated by Chinese and later Islamic and Russian sources and seems to be a common feature of Steppe nomad culture. The Steppe is a cold and arid place where they've found some amazingly well-preserved graves, some of which have contained a fuckload o' weed. So yea, the Scythians probably did smoke weed and make skull cups from their enemies, as did the Xiongnu, Khazars and who knows how many other Steppe tribes.

computer parts posted:

Apparently in Texas a lot of those yellow counties only ban certain types of liquor (eg, everything above 12% ABV) instead of alcohol in general.
I live in DFW and it's a horrible hodge podge of alcohol laws. Every town gets to decide what is sold, when and where. Some little pissant towns ban sales altogether, while others allow bar and restaurant sales only, beer only or only ban liquor. Each one has a different cut-off time and it's a tossup if you can buy on Sunday. One of the towns I lived in only allowed sales at "private clubs" with a membership list (it was also notorious for fighting school integration to the bitter end). All of it is incredibly stupid and a giant pain in the rear end.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

ChipNDip posted:

I'm from Ottawa County in MI, and we used to have verboten alcohol sales on Sundays. It was REALLY hosed up legislation that left no small amount of head scratching from locals and tourists.

You see, that's because the supposedly dry Sundays only pertained to FERMENTED alcoholic beverages - beer and wine. DISTILLED liquors could still be consumed.

This would lead to me, back when I was still a server, constantly forgetting about it and then having to explain it to my Sunday Football loving customers. It would also result in some hilariously drunken customers screaming at the TV when something went wrong. I don't know how the crafters of that law made such a glaring fuckup.

Thankfully the law was repealed and we can now drink with impunity.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I went to Wesleyan U for a year in 1991 and found the experience odd. Wesleyan itself was crazy - there was a "Duke" day in the Spring where you could smoke weed in the big dining hall. But the state of CT was bizarre when it came to alcohol sales - no Sundays, and no sales after 8pm every day. WTF?!

Also - does anyone have any info on a current court case regarding marijuana's schedule classification? I recall reading something about it being in DC Federal court this month, but can't find out any more info.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I grew up in a dry county and I'm pretty sure all it did was increase drunk driving since we had to drive an hour out of town to go to a bar and nobody wants to pay a cab for that kind of trip. In sort of an amusing twist every time there was talk to allow alcohol sales in our county the restaurant and beverage organizations from the towns where we had to go to drink would run ads against becoming a wet county.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I've lived in NC for going on a decade now, most of that time in a yellow county, and never had a problem buying alcohol. It's just that certain small towns ban alcohol sales, which makes NC look like a dry state by that map's measure.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Okay, guess I was a bit wrong in my initial interpretation of that map. My bad :ohdear:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Okay, guess I was a bit wrong in my initial interpretation of that map. My bad :ohdear:

I said right when I posted it:
"Red counties have alcohol sales banned, yellow counties have alcohol sales banned in parts of the county, blue have no bans and gray have no data. "

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
My issue with the map is that, unfortunately, I live in Sc, where all is blue according to the map. However, no one here can purchase beer, wine, liquor, etc. from the stores from 12 am Sunday to 7 am Monday.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Install Gentoo posted:

I said right when I posted it:
"Red counties have alcohol sales banned, yellow counties have alcohol sales banned in parts of the county, blue have no bans and gray have no data. "

You also said "There's tons of places in America where you can't buy any alcohol at all" immediately preceding the map, implying that it supported that point.

Which it really doesn't since it has ridiculously loose standards as to what qualifies as "banned".

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Apparently, with this new law, an employee can get blazed while at work without any repercussions. At least, that's what some say:

http://readingisforsnobs.blogspot.com/2012/12/alcohol-lobbyist-doesnt-seem-to.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Offkorn posted:

You also said "There's tons of places in America where you can't buy any alcohol at all" immediately preceding the map, implying that it supported that point.

Which it really doesn't since it has ridiculously loose standards as to what qualifies as "banned".

I assure you the sale of alcohol is illegal in those red Kentucky counties.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

NY Times Reports anonymous government officials will do something to stop Washington and Colorado for legalizing marijuana.

Well, looks like the Obama Administration is going to play hardball but I wonder what could possibly be their strategy?

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

hobbesmaster posted:

I assure you the sale of alcohol is illegal in those red Kentucky counties.

I assure you that the sale of alcohol is legal in the red Kentucky counties in extreme west Kentucky.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

Apparently, with this new law, an employee can get blazed while at work without any repercussions. At least, that's what some say:

http://readingisforsnobs.blogspot.com/2012/12/alcohol-lobbyist-doesnt-seem-to.html

They actually think "lowers productivity" is a valid argument for restricting how adults can enjoy themselves?

What's the word for when not being as productive as your boss wants results in worse punishment than getting fired? Oh yeah - slavery.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If some kind of crackdown happens on or near december 21st then conspiracy nuts everywhere are going to cream their pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Cockmaster posted:

They actually think "lowers productivity" is a valid argument for restricting how adults can enjoy themselves?

What's the word for when not being as productive as your boss wants results in worse punishment than getting fired? Oh yeah - slavery.

Facebook lowers worker productivity far more than legal marijuana ever could, therefore facebook should be illegal and facebook users should be thrown in jail.

• Locked thread