Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Presale - 4000 tickets @ $800/each = $3,200,000
Directed Group Sale - 20,000 tickets @ $390/each = $7,800,000 + (10,000 vehicle passes @ $50/each = $500,000) = $8,300,000
Individual Sale - 40,000 tickets @ $390/each = $15,600,000 + (12,000 vehicle passes @ $50/each = $600,000) = $16,200,000
OMG Sale - 1,000 tickets @ $390/each = $390,000 + (1250 vehicle passes @ $50/each = $62,500) = $452,500
Low Income - 4,000 tickets @ $190/each = $760,000

$3,200,000 + $8,300,000 + $16,200,000 + $452,500 + $760,000 = $28,912,500

$28,912,500 - $5,000,000 = $23,912,500 profit from ticket sales after BLM fees

I still don't see a problem here.

revenue - expenses = profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Paying for things like setting the drat thing up might be an expense. Also, fourth of juplaya is coming around and you guys should party with us. N 40* 46.254 W 119* 10.685

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
Anyone going to make it out to Transformus?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

quote:

DPW

The Department of Public Works (DPW) undertakes the massive task of building, maintaining, and cleaning up Black Rock City. The city occupies over 4 square miles. Its facilities are assembled from 200 lampposts, 2,000 street signs, over 6,000 t-stakes, several thousand concrete form stakes, and 12 miles of fence. It encompasses an airport, banks of port-a-potties, several temporary buildings, acres of shade structure, 24 burn platforms, and 200 burn barrels. The construction of this metropolis requires thousands of hours of labor by hundreds of dedicated workers, all accomplished in a month’s time, in very harsh high-desert conditions a hundred miles from the nearest source of building supplies. Transportation, food service, sanitation, material acquisition, living quarters, fuel, and equipment maintenance are just some of the tasks to be managed. Logistics alone can be a daunting challenge.

BMO pockets a lot of money in ways that I think suck, but theres no reason to allow the piggies to demand endless butter and flushing toilets in the middle of a no-city-infrastructure salt flat via an extortion letter.

I mean this is a real issue (unlike the cops needing butter fountains):

http://burners.me/2014/09/27/burnileaks-workers-want-rights/

quote:

Issues relating to common labor rights

These are things that break federal or state labor laws.

1. Workers are often paid far below minimum wage for manual labor, and do not receive overtime pay.

2. Workers often do not receive forced breaks or the correct amount of days off. Some worked weeks straight, and were on-call at night.

3. Workers are discouraged from sharing information about pay with each other.

4. Workers are not provided with adequate safety gear or training.

5. Workers are discouraged from organizing and in some cases, intimidated in response.

6. Volunteers may work for many years without reimbursement or consideration for the value of their experience.

7. Budgets and pay rates stay the same every year and are not adjusted for inflation, but workers are asked to do more every year – meaning that every year the entire paid workforce effectively receives a pay cut.

8. Managers, Board members, and crew members are allowed to get away with harassment and assault of other crew members and keep their jobs

Its actually a longer article, thats just the core list.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

FRINGE posted:

BMO pockets a lot of money in ways that I think suck, but theres no reason to allow the piggies to demand endless butter and flushing toilets in the middle of a no-city-infrastructure salt flat via an extortion letter.

I mean this is a real issue (unlike the cops needing butter fountains):

http://burners.me/2014/09/27/burnileaks-workers-want-rights/

Its actually a longer article, thats just the core list.

"6. Volunteers may work for many years without reimbursement or consideration for the value of their experience."

Last I heard that is what volunteers do.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Throwdown posted:

"6. Volunteers may work for many years without reimbursement or consideration for the value of their experience."

Last I heard that is what volunteers do.

Hm, you sure showed them by sniping one sentence of the complaint.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
BMOrg LLC and Black Rock LLC are just companies like any other business, I dunno why some burners cant't acknowledge this. There's no one on the 42nd floor of the BMOrg complex lighting Cuban cigars with $100 bills but they're not a small time operation either. Expenses are expenses and Burning Man costs a hell of a lot to put on every year so it's no surprise their expenses beyond the BLM permits run into the millions, however, the organization's budget also doesn't reset to $0 after every year nor do they find themselves restricted by the same financial situations as other festivals or even other companies (paying crew minimum wages, adhering to health and safety regulations, hiring talent, dealing with on site vendors, etc).

I'm not a knocking BMOrg (necessarily), it's just a reality of life, and disregarding that aspect of Burning Man ignores how much time and work goes into making the event happen and disenfranchises every volunteer, DPW member, burner medic, toilet truck worker, ranger, organizer, and anyone else who gives a large part of their life every summer to make sure the festival goes smooth and everyone has a good time.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Got my tickets in the mail :c00l:

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Any of y'all gonna be at ephemerisle. Details are shaping up but I should be there the whole time.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

BMOrg LLC and Black Rock LLC are just companies like any other business, I dunno why some burners cant't acknowledge this. There's no one on the 42nd floor of the BMOrg complex lighting Cuban cigars with $100 bills but they're not a small time operation either. Expenses are expenses and Burning Man costs a hell of a lot to put on every year so it's no surprise their expenses beyond the BLM permits run into the millions, however, the organization's budget also doesn't reset to $0 after every year nor do they find themselves restricted by the same financial situations as other festivals or even other companies (paying crew minimum wages, adhering to health and safety regulations, hiring talent, dealing with on site vendors, etc).

I'm not a knocking BMOrg (necessarily), it's just a reality of life, and disregarding that aspect of Burning Man ignores how much time and work goes into making the event happen and disenfranchises every volunteer, DPW member, burner medic, toilet truck worker, ranger, organizer, and anyone else who gives a large part of their life every summer to make sure the festival goes smooth and everyone has a good time.

I agree, I work on art projects and at a service org, it's lovely but whatever; it is what it is. My only issue is why do people like me get kinda shafted in comparison and the shithead bros only there to get their YOLO RAGE BRO FACE on somehow get tickets and prime placement because they're virgins / new camps. I get that the organization wants new blood in to create new experiences, but why do people that have spent years going to the event, months planning the camps and experiences, and sacrificed personal finances get shafted while the RV Blockades / private parties placement get undeserved perks? Last year we got terrible placement (10 year camp), but a group of Marina Bros that I know got prime placement and they didn't do any events or anything. It's really annoys me that the org gives a finger to long time contributors in that fashion while at the same time giving a helping hand to people that aren't interested in the event or its culture.

RACHET fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 12, 2015

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Since I have mod permission I am going to throw down my go fund me again for my theme camp, we are test running at Afterburn in Florida, then I think Alchemy and Tfus, and finally BM next year.

http://www.gofundme.com/campcreepshow

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
Off to Tfus today! Happy burn!

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
Just got word that my friends have an empty spot in their camp and a discount ticket for me! I've never been before. I'm so excited right now holy poo poo

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Compression is happening in Reno this Saturday. Details on the book: https://www.facebook.com/events/401254623418375/

I got invited to DJ, and apparently my booth will be transmitting to a bunch of art cars via FM. I just got goosebumps writing that :3:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Just a last request for any DJs or musicians who want a sound stage to perform on, please PM me or reply if you don't have PMs with an email. Happy to host you at our camp!

(or anyone who knows a goon or non-goon who doesn't read this thread who would be interested in this)

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

Just got home from Transformus. While it was amazing, we had our first ever death. It was a somber temple burn.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Just got home from Transformus. While it was amazing, we had our first ever death. It was a somber temple burn.

What happened? I have been avoiding the Tfus facebook group since I am a bit miffed that I was unable to go this year.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Throwdown posted:

What happened? I have been avoiding the Tfus facebook group since I am a bit miffed that I was unable to go this year.

They found a man face down in a pond, he died offsite at the hospital.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

goodness posted:

I just read this on the tfus group, they have a crowdfund going for the family, going to donate.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Just signed up for my shifts. Another crew is trying to recruit me, too. And I'm running the hell out of my theme camp.

It's funny how Burning Man slowly becomes Working Man. I hear the next step is Radio Man, and then Spreadsheet Man.

And somehow, it's more fun than ever. Dammit.

Anyone working GP&E this year? If so, see you in the hole.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

OniKun posted:

Spreadsheet Man.

I am a spreadsheet man for my camp.

Without our spreadsheet I doubt things would be going as smoothly as they are. Really helps to be organized, especially with costs, budgets, camp dues, reimbursement, projects, events, food & water, logistics, manifests, vehicle organization...

Eldritch Sandwich
Nov 1, 2007
Baked by Beelzebub
Burning Man is definitely Spreadsheet Man, they make running a theme camp and major honoraria installations significantly easier.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

goodness posted:

He actually died onsite, but he was pronounced at the hospital. There were heroic efforts to revive him while awaiting the paramedics. There is thought that he had a heart attack and drowned in the lower lake.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Ephemerisle has the best moop. We found a giant floating couch, a floating disco ball that belongs to the bump bed (they put their art car on a barge), and we pulled up another anchor with one of our own anchors.

OniKun posted:

Yeah just signed up for my lighthouse and apex shifts. See you in the hole indeed.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's

gadgethugs posted:

Ephemerisle has the best moop. We found a giant floating couch, a floating disco ball that belongs to the bump bed (they put their art car on a barge), and we pulled up another anchor with one of our own anchors.

Yeah just signed up for my lighthouse and apex shifts. See you in the hole indeed.

Ahhh, Apex. ADHD with vehicles. Lexicon is awesome, runs it real well.

I'm mostly doing Airport Gate, 401k/Ira recruited me into it. I have that, plus gate opening, plus exodus, and then another gate shift. Taking it easier than last year.

That reminds me, I still need to sew up my patches...

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

OniKun posted:

Just signed up for my shifts. Another crew is trying to recruit me, too. And I'm running the hell out of my theme camp.

It's funny how Burning Man slowly becomes Working Man. I hear the next step is Radio Man, and then Spreadsheet Man.

And somehow, it's more fun than ever. Dammit.

Yea, working Gate and Perimeter shifts. I worked six shifts last year and said I would work less this year... so I'm working eight this year.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
OMG sale tears start in minutes

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
http://megagogo.co/

About This Project
We want to help Burning Man attendees continue their favorite week of the year, and allow them to keep experiencing the genuine community and deep connections they can only feel while at Burning Man. To do this, we will build a 300-mile wall around the entire Bay Area during Burning Man.

For the rest of us, what’s normally our favorite week of the year… lasts forever!

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Is there a goon meetup this year?

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Turtle Blogger posted:

Is there a goon meetup this year?

Sounds to me like you just volunteered to set that up

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

gadgethugs posted:

Sounds to me like you just volunteered to set that up

When is the goon meat Turtle Blogger? We're waiting

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yo, BRCU at 4:15 and C I'll be in camp at least from 12pm to 4pm making sure it doesn't burn down if we want to meet there. Habanero tequila will be available.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Is BRCU still by the portapotties? Cool people, smelly spot unfortunately. But... That's some goood poopin!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

mitztronic posted:

OMG sale tears start in minutes

The tears are real.

I'm a virgin burner seeking a ticket or two. Since the OP is from last year, are there any new/good places other than CL to find tickets? It's beginning to sound like, if I even find one, I'll be paying more at least 25% markup.

...which at this point, though it's encouraging the wrong

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Radical self reliance bro

But seriously, if anyone has a ticket that comes up, consider helping out prowler. He's a virgin that has been embracing and prepping harder than the majority of vets I know.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Prowler posted:

The tears are real.

I'm a virgin burner seeking a ticket or two. Since the OP is from last year, are there any new/good places other than CL to find tickets? It's beginning to sound like, if I even find one, I'll be paying more at least 25% markup.

...which at this point, though it's encouraging the wrong

The playa might provide?

Or you could crash https://www.facebook.com/events/1421491501502902/

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
It's that time of year

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

It's that time of year

It's also that time of the year where complete idiots who have done absolutely zero prep to survive in the desert for a week ask what "re bar" is

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Just got an email from a camp I worked with a while back, apparently the Playa has a serious mosquito problem this year!

Let's see who prepared for -that-! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

It's that time of year

I lurk that list too. I am currently sending everything from it into a folder marked 'will read never'

• Locked thread