Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So are the planning to make all the tanks pretty by the end of the year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
My main moneymakers are the Sherman, T14*, Churchill III, and the Wolverine.
*a lot of people think the T14 sucks, I guess? I'm enjoying it a lot more after a couple dozen more rounds with it. Buddy gave it to me as a gift so we could platoon together in them. Seems pretty comparable to the heavier Sherman variant.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
9.0 has somehow ruined multi-monitor perspective.

Fullscreen one monitor:

Middle monitor when fulscreen over all 3:

Both taken at the exact same spot without zooming in or out, or moving the camera, in between screenshots.
And no, dicking around with the FOV setting doesn't do anything. (Since it's set to the same for both versions it really shouldn't anyway)

Everything is out of whack, it's like having to relearn how the camera is affected by me moving the bloody mouse! Anyone else had this problem (and possibly found a fix)?

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/04/22/hotfix-9-0-1-is-coming/

Apparently there might be a hotfix out on friday for the crashes. So at best only a week of dealing with hosed up crashes or downgrading to two year old graphics, and that's only for the NA server.

It's loving funny, too. WG really could have shown Kuzma's mother to Gaijin with 9.0, but no, their whole public testing process is hosed up.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

BadLlama posted:

That's the plan, I think. Lot of loving tanks to do, they'll have to accelerate how many they do per patch a lot.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Crewmine posted:

That's the plan, I think. Lot of loving tanks to do, they'll have to accelerate how many they do per patch a lot.

I would just like my Stug to be pretty. Speaking of the Stug, there is now a tier 4 stug for no reason at all besides giving germany more tanks for some reason?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The new krautwagons are just links between lines. The Panzer 4 ausf. turds let you get the PzIV without having to bother with the 38nA and the turtleshell StuG lets you get to the proper TD line even if you like playing the Marder III more than the Hetzer.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

BadLlama posted:

I would just like my Stug to be pretty. Speaking of the Stug, there is now a tier 4 stug for no reason at all besides giving germany more tanks for some reason?

Historical battles demanded more StuGs and a boatload of PzIVs :colbert:

I'm pumped for the Cromwell, E8 and leopard 1602 to get a makeover. Bet they do a bunch of tier 10s before them, though.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Marux posted:

If you enjoy sniping, the Wolverine was pretty fun when I played it, and was actually one of my highest winrate tanks. God knows what happened when I switched into a Hellcat, I'm one of the few people with a terrible win ratio with the Hellcat :(

Marux posted:

I think the reason I'm so bad with the hellcat is it has effectively no armor at all, and I tend to play fairly aggressively.

I have this exact same problem.

I think this .gif adequately describes my approach to playing World of Tanks (shamelessly lifted from the best thread ever.)

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Crewmine posted:

Historical battles demanded more StuGs and a boatload of PzIVs :colbert:

I'm pumped for the Cromwell, E8 and leopard 1602 to get a makeover. Bet they do a bunch of tier 10s before them, though.

Their upgrade plans so far seem kinda weird. I mean, Tiger, T-54 and Hellcat all make sense. But the Tortoise and Cent 7/1 are kinda weird choices. I'd expect the E8 to be kinda soon, as the Sherman has been done already.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I have found the ultimate pubby. XVM gave me a hint at the darkness therein but I was not prepared for... the horror.

dude has 4500 total games and an overall winrate of 40.2%

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Look at his noobmeter for some really insane stuff.

This is without a doubt the epitome of failing your way to the top. Zero games in the T-28, 10 games in the KV-1 and ONE in the KV-1S. Terrible as he is I'm sure WG loves him for all that converted free exp.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

HFX posted:

The Churchill III is great for making money at T5. The T-25 and M4A2E4 would be okay if they didn't get into T7's constantly. Wait they might have fixed that about the beta sherman.

Ya M4A2E4 only gets up to tier 6 battles. It's quite potent in tier 5.

On a totally unrelated note, I love how people complain about how the XVM chance-to-win prediction is always "wrong" because they lost a 80% chance-to-win match or won a 20% one. Unless it says you will 100% win and you lose or 100% lose and you win, the prediction isn't "wrong". In fact, it tells you absolutely nothing at all, really.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Today's Fib of the Day: at the start of rounds that members of furry (FURRE, FURRD) or brony clans playing, I state that that there's a gold bounty out on their members for both TK and enemy kills.

Gets them REALLY riled up.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Tracula posted:

Look at his noobmeter for some really insane stuff.

This is without a doubt the epitome of failing your way to the top. Zero games in the T-28, 10 games in the KV-1 and ONE in the KV-1S. Terrible as he is I'm sure WG loves him for all that converted free exp.

In addition to helping to ruin an excellent t30 match for me I saw a 40% really earning his winrate:

-facehugging an enemy while a 183 was trying to help him out (he took barrel and track damage when the dude zapped the enemy)
-either afk or camping so far back that he would have been behind arty
-being in perfect position to actually shoot spawn-rushing lights/mediums and obviously not shooting them
-charging into the middle of an open field with six tank destroyers looking at him
-penning only once, inexplicably, through sheer pigheadedness I imagine.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, 40%ers actually make you worse just by being near you.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
American teams on Bulge are loving RETARDED today. Of 3 games so far, we won one only because I capped. There was one game that was 15 vs 5. Surely with those numbers there is no way we can lose right? WRONG, pubbies are poo poo. Few people on that team understood the concept of not loving trying to uselessly "snipe" at long range instead of swarming in and getting in all over their sides and rear ( a point which I tried to reinforce before the match started. loving baddies. I literally need to be given the power to ban other players at will.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Subyng posted:

American teams on Bulge are loving RETARDED today. Of 3 games so far, we won one only because I capped. There was one game that was 15 vs 5. Surely with those numbers there is no way we can lose right? WRONG, pubbies are poo poo. Few people on that team understood the concept of not loving trying to uselessly "snipe" at long range instead of swarming in and getting in all over their sides and rear ( a point which I tried to reinforce before the match started. loving baddies. I literally need to be given the power to ban other players at will.

To be fair, historical battle is a totally different format. To a mediocre pubbie who is just struggling to grasp concepts like hull down and trading shots at an advantage, the idea of throwing yourself at an opponent with no regard for your own life is a foreign concept. The kind of 15 low tier tanks vs 5 high tier tank HB's just don't occur in random battles.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Today's Fib of the Day: at the start of rounds that members of furry (FURRE, FURRD) or brony clans playing, I state that that there's a gold bounty out on their members for both TK and enemy kills.

I'm making up for my awful purchase of the PZ IV Hydro by telling pubbies it's a special tank you get for being part of 2PAC, as we got codes for them because we have friends in WG.

So Noobama is going to get a lot of private chats if the pubbies figure out how to start a chat.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 22, 2014

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe if they had done any amount of QA on 9.0 we wouldn't have to wait for them to finish QA on 9.0.1 now. :v:

dogstile posted:

I'm making up for my awful purchase of the PZ IV Hydro by telling pubbies is a special tank you get for being part of 2PAC, as we got codes for them because we have friends in WG.

So Noobama is going to get a lot of private chats if the pubbies figure out how to start a chat.

You guys need to stop doing all the funny poo poo when I can't play due to WG's fuckups. Or at least post if anything comes from it I guess.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

That's not a fib, I doubt I would mind paying something like that out.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

*a lot of people think the T14 sucks, I guess?

I think most folks just get the T14 expecting a Heavier tank instead of the up-armored Sherman it is. There is nothing wrong with it but compared to the Church 3 the loss of Pen, Xp multiplier, and different armor scheme for a slight boost in maneuverability and hull down ability means that outside someone that needs an American crew trainer most folks would rather just play the Church so they can cackle gleefully while just double tapping R and hold down left click.

WG could really do with just slowing the gently caress down sometimes, its great and all that they want to put out new content but they keep damaging themselves. Just look at WoWP because it's turned into a fairly decent game over the past 5 months but the fact that the gameplay felt so bad during launch has killed the already small playerbase it had.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
what the gently caress is up with tonight? 3 games in and it's this:

2 games:

Game #1: complete crumple of enemy team. We're talking 9 and 1 before I can get 3 shots in a bishop.
Game #2: complete crumple of enemy team. Same situation.
Game #3: Tier 9 game, our E75 has full health with 5mins left, we're up 5 tanks (all weakened except for the E75), E75 drowns himself and people decide to start solocapping with 1 minute left.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Didn't drown himself, went over the edge of the island and stuck on a slope like halfway into the water. :v:

And for the last 30 seconds or so there was one last enemy rhoomba left that no one could shoot at all or something.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Subyng posted:

Ya M4A2E4 only gets up to tier 6 battles. It's quite potent in tier 5.

On a totally unrelated note, I love how people complain about how the XVM chance-to-win prediction is always "wrong" because they lost a 80% chance-to-win match or won a 20% one. Unless it says you will 100% win and you lose or 100% lose and you win, the prediction isn't "wrong". In fact, it tells you absolutely nothing at all, really.

People are terrible at statistics and math in general. Are you really surprised? It helps to realize what the 80% or 20% represents. It would be cool to see that formula take actual win / loss metrics to become metrics. However, I imagine that gets into a huge amount of data mining. Tanks / players / players in tanks / spawn loctions / maps. We now are into Eve levels of spreadsheet sperginess now though.

Edit: Why the hell can't I use my World of Tanks login to login to the European forums so I can do useful poo poo like search? I generally like J1mb0's crosshair, but I still can't figure out why the flight timer was removed for a much less useful distance to target.

HFX fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 23, 2014

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

HFX posted:

It would be cool to see that formula take actual win / loss metrics to become metrics. However, I imagine that gets into a huge amount of data mining. Tanks / players / players in tanks / spawn loctions / maps. We now are into Eve levels of spreadsheet sperginess now though.

Based on what I've seen the formula doesn't take into account tanks in general, which players are in what tanks, or spawn locations or maps. It basically uses the WR and WN8 and EFF and poo poo of each player (though possibly in-tank if enough games in it or something) and throws that in there. Good players in bottom tier tanks seem to have more or less as much to say for the formula as good players in top tier tanks.

At least that's the only thing that makes sense when my team has poo poo top tiers, a few good midtiers and some really good bottom tiers, and yet we get 70%+ chance to win vs the enemy team with really good top tiers. And strange stuff like that.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Today I thought, "I'm going get my mastery on the A-44, dammit!" (Apparently 1600 base exp wasn't enough). Sure enough, on my 4th game or so, I get this game:

http://wotreplays.com/site/798626#highway-donner_and_blitzen-a-44

Watch this freaking replay!

Me in my A-44 and an ELC ALMOST carry the game from a sure loss. I made the mistake of stopping to aim in (with the A-44's glacially slow aim time) on a Hummel that had spotted me and that's when I got wrecked by some other arty. In retrospect I should have just done a drive by on that Hummel but in the heat of the moment the thought had not occurred to me, considering I was successfully dodging arty left and right for the entire round up to that point.

Not my best game in terms of base xp but definitely one of the most exciting ones I've had in a while.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
If PANSY will take me, I'd like to try the campaign thing out again just for shits.

This is me: http://worldoftanks.com/community/accounts/1000197076-DrinkTank/

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Keep doing God's work Cogs

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

:snoop:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

I know there are plenty of youtube channels about WoT, which ones offer the best advice?

Pfft, who needs to watch WoT videos on Youtube when you can just platoon with me and watch me get Kolobanov's medals? :smugdog:

Clarence posted:

(I'm non-premium, almost always solo and play on a satellite connection with a minimum ping of 700 so tend to lose a lot, if that makes a difference.)

No offense, and being completely serious here, I have to say if I had a connection with a latency of ~700 ms I would not play games online. In all honesty you cannot play WoT with a connection that bad. Do you literally have no other ISP options? I get bitchy when my ping spikes to 300-500....

Well, to be fair, it sure does look pretty in HD!

Marux posted:

Oh i thought that was a VK 36.01, thats inexcusable then.

I had to go back and check the wiki; I didn't realize they have the VK36 starting with the 105! :barf:

srb posted:

All pubbie shots aimed at my Panther II sure do seem to hit the engine hitbox in the lower glacis or nail my ammo rack.

That's because all of that stuff is stored directly behind all of the armor, everywhere. Superior Teutonic engineering!

Cardiac posted:

Rhoombas, Hellcats, T49s, E-25, SU-XXX are all reasonably mobile and should have no problems with this.

If the E-25 has to relocate after every shot, well, gently caress that.

dogstile posted:

I'm not sure I agree. T4 tanks definitely get loving shafted (still). T7 feels ok, T8 feels like death when going up against T10's.

There are some terrible tier 4s, and some OP as gently caress ones. I got the aforementioned Kolobanov's the other night in the SU-85B, for example (I'll post the replay soon) and I would've gotten Radley-Walter's as well if it extended below tier 5.

BadLlama posted:

All new tanks will be introduced in high-res immediately, the rest will be converted over a year or so.

subhelios posted:

I think this .gif adequately describes my approach to playing World of Tanks (shamelessly lifted from the best thread ever.)

Which thread is this?

Mauser posted:

I have found the ultimate pubby. XVM gave me a hint at the darkness therein but I was not prepared for... the horror.

dude has 4500 total games and an overall winrate of 40.2%

That's called a "bot."

dogstile posted:

I'm making up for my awful purchase of the PZ IV Hydro by telling pubbies it's a special tank you get for being part of 2PAC, as we got codes for them because we have friends in WG.

We used to refer pubbies to Hellsau for free M60/VK7201 codes until we got wind that Wargaming was banning players for doing it. I guess they got tired of all the support tickets asking why their 1337-F4170W3-(0D3 didn't work....

Overwined posted:

If PANSY will take me, I'd like to try the campaign thing out again just for shits.

This is me: http://worldoftanks.com/community/accounts/1000197076-DrinkTank/

Invite sent.

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Which thread is this?

The photoshop 9/11 into star wars thread. It was goddamn amazing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Was playing my T1 heavy in korelia, amazing match where I take out a Jackson and KV-1 in the north rocks but when I start pushing a Church iii at the mouth of the enemy base; CTD.

I hope my tank kept going and rammed him at least! :argh:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
T7 Clown Car has gotten a lot better, hope most of you didn't sell it!

T7 Clown Car Replay

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

MariusLecter posted:

Was playing my T1 heavy in korelia, amazing match where I take out a Jackson and KV-1 in the north rocks but when I start pushing a Church iii at the mouth of the enemy base; CTD.

I hope my tank kept going and rammed him at least! :argh:

You should check the OP for a CTD fix.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
Phontomen never fails to satisfy me :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUf0zisSPho

Teochoilae
Mar 16, 2014

Are there any Goon Squads left that are not defunct?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

On the clan level? I dunno. Casual TS outhanging and platooning never dies, though.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Teochoilae posted:

No "pure" goon clans that do CW at the moment on NA.
PANSY is a casual goon clan, although I guess the new CW might change that.
You don't need to be in a clan to platoon with goons, just join the goon ingame channel and the goon TS to find platoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Teochoilae posted:

You can join PANSY if you are cool but we are maybe taking part in the next dumb Clan thing so you'll need tier 8s at least.

There are like, three clans worth of random goons scattered around a ton of different clans. Sadly, the game makes it difficult for us to all glom into horde of murderous assholes and instead makes us play with 12 witless assholes at a time.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 23, 2014

• Locked thread