Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

quote:

Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin
I'm told the bubble machine will be back in #Dodgers dugout tonight.

Bill Shaikin is an LA Times sportswriter, so let's hope he's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rand alPaul posted:

Tony LaRussa is a headhunting piece of poo poo. But he didn't take steroids so he can be in the :angel:Hall of Fame:angel:

Come on now, he's a ribhunting piece of poo poo. Throwing at the head would be wrong you see.

I mean, honestly I guess we should be happy he's against that at least.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Lorini posted:

Bill Shaikin is an LA Times sportswriter, so let's hope he's right.

So did they DFA Paul Maholm or Dan Haren to add it to the roster?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Astros, Rockies and Rangers did not claim Jacob Turner. Maybe they just think he'll never be any good but I'm pretty surprised at this.

Philly
Aug 3, 2005

If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of it all.

tadashi posted:

The Astros, Rockies and Rangers did not claim Jacob Turner. Maybe they just think he'll never be any good but I'm pretty surprised at this.

I'm at the point of listening to relaxation music at work. This team's incompetence knows no bounds.

I mean really, 23 year old groundballer with a low BB9 and 1st round pedigree, drafted 2 slots ahead of Matzek. Can't bump 28 year old, 1000 MiLB inning-logging Yohan Flande though, can they?

Our best guess is that they filed the waiver claim for Jakob Trner.

Philly fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 6, 2014

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Retail Slave posted:

From a bit back:

A fair punishment in this or any similiar situation would be a minimum suspension of the length of the time the batter is on the DL. Only if a HBP is found to be intentional, though. That would put a stop to this poo poo real quick.

Guy you plunk is out 6-8 weeks? Guess what, so are you. Without pay.

This is a terrible system that would be manipulated all to hell which is why no sports league does this or ever will

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

tadashi posted:

if i'm not mistaken, it goes through the league of the player's team first (NL), so only the Rockies didn't claim him.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Baffling the Rockies didn't claim him.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

gently caress you, TLR. Just when I was starting to come around on you because I've been subjected to the horrors of Matheny.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The Pirates still have not placed Andrew McCutchen on the DL, and also Neil Walker was removed from the game yesterday due to aggravating his back injury that he was never placed on the DL for. He skipped BP today. Also also Starling Marte came back from his concussion yesterday but said he wasn't 100%. On the pitching side, Stolmy Pimentel has appeared in only 16 games despite being with the team all season, probably because he's #2 on the Long Reliever depth chart behind Jeanmar Gomez AND also #2 on the Mop-Up Guy depth chart behind Ernesto Frieri.

So, if you're following at home, the Pirates are operating in a tight pennant race with a 22-man roster that includes a bench catcher, 4 platoon-only hitters (being kind to Nix and including him here), and Michael Martinez.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Cole Hamels and Marlon Byrd have been claimed

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

rhabuf?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

tadashi posted:

Actually we only know the Rockies passed on him. Waiver claim order for a player goes from worst to first in the player's league, then worst to first in the other league.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

nah

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

gently caress you, TLR. Just when I was starting to come around on you because I've been subjected to the horrors of Matheny.

Still holding out for a Whitey Herzog return, eh? I've never quite understood the fans who seem to always hate whoever the current manager is. In Matheny's case, it's doubly confounding, because I bet you'd be hard pressed to find any other major league manager who takes over a team after it loses its best player to free agency and has a first season that ends one game shy of the World Series, and a second season that ends two games shy of winning the World Series.

That said, is anyone who has followed TLR over the years really surprised by this response? He's known as a guy who has never been afraid to retaliate for hit batsmen, whether there was clear intent or not. He even has his own weird set of rules about it, which you can read about in 3 Nights in August. The one thing I will say, though, is that he's not a headhunter. I've seen him talk badly to the press about Cardinals pitchers who he thought might have almost hit someone in the head, even when there was no clear intent. Like someone said: he's a ribhunter.

Whether or not that's much better, though, depends on how you feel about retaliation pitches.

Besides, the last thing I read about McCutchen's injury suggests that the HBP didn't (or couldn't) cause that particular injury. Has that changed?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tarlibone posted:

Still holding out for a Whitey Herzog return, eh? I've never quite understood the fans who seem to always hate whoever the current manager is. In Matheny's case, it's doubly confounding, because I bet you'd be hard pressed to find any other major league manager who takes over a team after it loses its best player to free agency and has a first season that ends one game shy of the World Series, and a second season that ends two games shy of winning the World Series.

Yes the team he was coaching was very good. If you actually, like, watch games he manages, you woould see he makes awful decisions all the time. They had to trade Allen Craig away just to get him to stop running him out there every single day. He literally did not know how to make a double switch when he took the job, and still regularly fucks it up. His bullpen management is horrible too.

It turns out guys who have never coached above little league are not great picks to manage at the very highest level of the sport.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Mike Matheny is one of the worst managers in baseball. I used to at least give credit for clubhouse stuff but then he fostered an environment that shunned the team's best prospect

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

You're like the Cardinals version of Craptacular.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
The petty part of me hopes that other teams just plunk a Diamondback player every game until the end of the season.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It appears to be the new hot fad in baseball: put a complete amateur in charge of your team! It worked for the White Sox and Robin Ventura!

Except for politics, is there any other profession where people hire complete rookies to do important things?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I agree that he's got a problem with loyalty to players who are clearly trending downward. I only recently regrew the hair that I'd pulled out of my head every time he tried to bring Mitchell Boggs in to close out a game. It was the same problem we had with him running Craig out there when it was clear to everyone else that he wasn't coming out of his slump anytime soon.

But I don't miss many games, and I don't see many screwed up double-switches. The only one I distinctly remember is the one from 2012 against the Marlins, where he eventually had to do more substituting because Ozzie Guillen claimed to be confused as to what the number 5 means. This only was an issue because Ozzie Guillen is kind-of an idiot, and the guy he complained to, umpire Bob "How Do I Still Have A Job?" Davidson, is a complete idiot. You can google that one if you like; it's actually hilarious reading.

Have I missed a bunch of other similar screw-ups? I know a lot of his substitutions are questionable, but double-switching is always a risk. I'm not aware of any actual mistakes in pulling off a double-switch other than the one facilitated by one moron who's no longer in baseball and another, bigger one who still is.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

William T. Hornaday posted:

You're like the Cardinals version of Craptacular.

I kind of get more kaworu vibes

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ElwoodCuse posted:

This is a terrible system that would be manipulated all to hell which is why no sports league does this or ever will

How? Do you think this would motivate a team to bring in a lovely pitcher to plunk a superstar hitter? There'd be no more motivation than there is now to do that. And if you don't want to face the consequences of this system, don't intentionally throw at people. It seems pretty simple to me. MLB would be the ultimate decider in cases like these.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rand alPaul posted:

It appears to be the new hot fad in baseball: put a complete amateur in charge of your team! It worked for the White Sox and Robin Ventura!

Except for politics, is there any other profession where people hire complete rookies to do important things?

Well, to be fair, I don't think you need a lot of "experience" to be an MLB manager in like that you were a bench coach or whatever leading up to it. If you can create a decent lineup with what the GM gives you, effectively use your bullpen, platoon, handle the media post-game, and keep peace in the clubhouse, you're doing much better than most managers today.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Harlock posted:

Cole Hamels and Marlon Byrd have been claimed
We get another chance to hear Ruben be cranky

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The other GMs were simply too aggressive in claiming our players off waivers.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tarlibone posted:

I agree that he's got a problem with loyalty to players who are clearly trending downward. I only recently regrew the hair that I'd pulled out of my head every time he tried to bring Mitchell Boggs in to close out a game. It was the same problem we had with him running Craig out there when it was clear to everyone else that he wasn't coming out of his slump anytime soon.

But I don't miss many games, and I don't see many screwed up double-switches. The only one I distinctly remember is the one from 2012 against the Marlins, where he eventually had to do more substituting because Ozzie Guillen claimed to be confused as to what the number 5 means. This only was an issue because Ozzie Guillen is kind-of an idiot, and the guy he complained to, umpire Bob "How Do I Still Have A Job?" Davidson, is a complete idiot. You can google that one if you like; it's actually hilarious reading.

Have I missed a bunch of other similar screw-ups? I know a lot of his substitutions are questionable, but double-switching is always a risk. I'm not aware of any actual mistakes in pulling off a double-switch other than the one facilitated by one moron who's no longer in baseball and another, bigger one who still is.

I have literaly lost count of how many times matheny has made a double switch while bringing in a guy he intends to only pitch for one inning, thus making the double switch pointless. Usually they also involve daniel descalso, which makes it actively detrimental.

I feel like you are confsedby what we mean here. Matheny knows how to make a double switch. He quite clearly does not understand WHY you make one. He's playing at managing because he's seen managers do these things. He does not understand the strategy behind such moves, and after 3 years I am tired of waiting fr him to learn on the job.

The man is a tactical moron, and as groucho pointed out, maybe not even a good leader. He sucks.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I maintain that Matheny is basically a human-sized parrot in a jersey; he manages like he watched a baseball manager a few years ago, and just kind of knows the sounds and motions a manager makes during a baseball game. Even someone who has never played baseball would manage better, because most people- most animals- understand risk-reward and why doing the wrong thing over and over is bad.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

MourningView posted:

It turns out guys who have never coached above little league are not great picks to manage at the very highest level of the sport.

I really used to like Robin Ventura when he was a player, too. And now...not.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mornacale posted:

By the way, I don't think anyone mentioned it here but it came out a couple days ago that the Yankees (and in general the MLB's really exploitative approach to young talent) apparently ruined some Dominican kid's life. So that's cool.

This is seriously hosed up.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

MourningView posted:

Yes the team he was coaching was very good. If you actually, like, watch games he manages, you woould see he makes awful decisions all the time. They had to trade Allen Craig away just to get him to stop running him out there every single day. He literally did not know how to make a double switch when he took the job, and still regularly fucks it up. His bullpen management is horrible too.

*wastes two playoff roster spots on players he has no intention of ever using*
LOOK AT ME I'M MIKE MATHENY

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carlton Banks posted:

*wastes two playoff roster spots on players he has no intention of ever using*
LOOK AT ME I'M MIKE MATHENY

Yeah I was just going to ask about this. Was there ever a reason for why he kept two guys on the roster who were so injured they never played?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Clubhouse harmony.

Also, in fairness, unless you wanted like...Sam Freeman or something, the Cardinals entered the 2013 postseason with only 23 useful players anyway.

Like...Adron Chambers was probably the 2nd best hitter on the bench until the World Series, when crippled Allen Craig was ready to go.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Abel Wingnut posted:

Actually we only know the Rockies passed on him. Waiver claim order for a player goes from worst to first in the player's league, then worst to first in the other league.

I have to believe there's no way the Rangers wouldn't have gotten him had he made it to the AL half of waivers. It would've been a perfect pickup.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
N: Brad Penny is pitching 2.28 ERA over 27.2 innings and 5 starts at AAA, and the Marlins are expected to bring him up this weekend.

V: lol marlins

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

So did they DFA Paul Maholm or Dan Haren to add it to the roster?

Chone Figgins actually

Retail Slave posted:

How? Do you think this would motivate a team to bring in a lovely pitcher to plunk a superstar hitter? There'd be no more motivation than there is now to do that. And if you don't want to face the consequences of this system, don't intentionally throw at people. It seems pretty simple to me. MLB would be the ultimate decider in cases like these.
Get a Carlos Quentin type who's good at leaning into pitches but not much else, get hit by your division rival's best starter, feign injury for 3 months.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 7, 2014

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Still can't believe his name's not pronounced "chohn".

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Felix Hernandez in his last fifteen starts has thrown at least 7 innings and given up two runs or less in them. His ERA is now at 1.97. He's not quite Pedro Martinez 2000 edition but he's close.

New Concept Hole posted:

Still can't believe his name's not pronounced "chohn".

His real name is actually Desmond DeChone, which makes it funnier.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

seiferguy posted:

Felix Hernandez in his last fifteen starts has thrown at least 7 innings and given up two runs or less in them. His ERA is now at 1.97. He's not quite Pedro Martinez 2000 edition but he's close.

He has only allowed more than 3 earned once all year and it was 4. He is crazy good this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Now wait... I'm starting to get the impression that there are people out there who don't like Mike Matheny.

I can understand it. But really, what were the choices? Terry Francona's ignoble end in Boston all but excluded him from serious consideration, and the club was probably never considering Cubs legend Ryne Sandberg seriously. Personally, I was hoping Oquendo would be named manager, given his experience with the team as both a player and a coach. And I'm still not sure why he was passed over.

Terrible though he may be, he's got his team in contention in a strong division for the third year in a row. Things could be worse.

• Locked thread