Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Again with the book spoilers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Book spoilers it has words they are printed on page

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Book 3 Just got to the part where they go into the Ring and Miller (the dead guy) says that he's scared :stare:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rocksicles posted:

Again with the book spoilers...
If it's going to happen in the series this season, is it truly a book spoiler?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Combat Pretzel posted:

If it's going to happen in the series this season, is it truly a book spoiler?

Uhm, I assume you're kidding but in case you're not the common wisdom is that before the events actually air it's considered a spoiler.

Really guys lets not make this into the GoT thread, just use spoiler tags for events that didn't happen yet in the show, if you are not sure whether something happened or not you can either find out or just use spoiler tags as a precaution.

Try to be considerate.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I downloaded the books the other day, but already had the books and potentially the show spoiled by accident.

Mucho gay

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Uhm, I assume you're kidding but in case you're not the common wisdom is that before the events actually air it's considered a spoiler.
I meant specifically book spoiler instead of regular show spoiler. --edit: You know, happened in the book but is definitely coming up this season in the show spoilers.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 25, 2015

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I don't care about spoilers and I click em all the time

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
same, except ironically

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i click spoilers all the time, because i have no self control

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Same except with food

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah and me except with booze

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is it the 5th yet?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is it the 5th yet?

someone said the first 7 were on itunes but i only see the first 4 + behind the scenes stuff

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I WANT THE OTHER 4 EPISODES NOW

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is it the 5th yet?

Nope, no new episodes until January.

I guess they released the first 4 since they knew they would get leaked anyways from the screener packages they sent out

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So how are they planning this show going forward? If the first season is half of the first book, it would have a potential 18 years worth of material. That doesn't seem realistic.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Are they really just doing half a book a season? I just assumed they were going to cut out large chunks and do the GoT 1 book/season thing

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
GoT didn't do a 1:1 book to season adaptation past the third season.

Expanse had elements from the second book appearing in the pilot, and it's not like each of the books really has enough material for two seasons.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Everyone involved seems to understand that books and television are different beasts, so it's probably going to remain a blend of shot for shot scenes and new/juggled/adapted content, at least for the first little while. Chances are every season is going to be less "half a specific book" and more just forged together chunks of multiple storylines. Either way, I'm excited to see where it goes. Can't believe that the season will already be half over with the next aired episode...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

GoT didn't do a 1:1 book to season adaptation past the third season.

Expanse had elements from the second book appearing in the pilot, and it's not like each of the books really has enough material for two seasons.

They're still mixing some stuff in, but no major plot beats.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just finished Book 3 and I suspect that the mutiny, counter mutiny, and counter counter mutiny will be cut down significantly

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Showing off the episode 4 Shed scene seems to be winning over converts. I've hooked a few over Christmas.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I was really worried that scene wouldn't be as good as the books, I think, more than anything else in the first book. They didn't disappoint.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
That scene literally had my wife, who was bored in eps 2 and 3, on the edge of her seat.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I spent the whole four episodes waiting for that scene and my fiancée reacted correctly so I was happy.

Had a lot more hit than the Cant nuking which I felt was done a bit too early and lacked the emotional effect it had in the book.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pr0zac posted:

I spent the whole four episodes waiting for that scene and my fiancée reacted correctly so I was happy.

Had a lot more hit than the Cant nuking which I felt was done a bit too early and lacked the emotional effect it had in the book.

Shed was also shaping up to be a pretty cool dude, such as handing out random drugs to calm people down.

Then his head gets exploded by a rail gun and the leftovers get sucked out into space

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 29, 2015

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Wait, did they air that episode early on tv or something? I thought that was tomorrow's episode.

edit: Yeah, SyFy says that's tomorrow's ep, so I really hope no one's hopped on here before then that hasn't already seen the episode. Come on, guys. You can spoiler that poo poo for one more day.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 29, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KatWithHands posted:

Wait, did they air that episode early on tv or something? I thought that was tomorrow's episode.

edit: Yeah, SyFy says that's tomorrow's ep, so I really hope no one's hopped on here before then that hasn't already seen the episode. Come on, guys. You can spoiler that poo poo for one more day.

Yes you could watch the first 4 episodes online at the beginning of December, probably because they assumed the four episodes would get leaked anyways since Sy Fy sent out lots of screeners.

If you did binge it means waiting until January to start getting new episodes.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

etalian posted:

Yes you could watch the first 4 episodes online at the beginning of December, probably because they assumed the four episodes would get leaked anyways since Sy Fy sent out lots of screeners.

If you did binge it means waiting until January to start getting new episodes.

Oh no, I'm totally aware of it, and already did it back when they posted them. But I mean not everyone has that option, so we've been spoiler tagging the big stuff from those first four episodes until they aired on television. CQB doesn't air until tomorrow, so technically what happens then should still be tagged. It's just one more day, then we're all on the same page from then on. I just don't want people getting all wadded up because they had to wait till tomorrow night and got spoiled on major character deaths the day before.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fav character moments so far:

Avasarala throws a family friend under the bus to accomplish her political goals. Pretty much shows how she's a ruthless stone cold killer.

Havelock gets owned when he tries to whine about a hearts and mind program for the Belters. At least he got a cactus out of it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Who played the mob boss? I can't decide if I f he's really familiar or just just seems like it because he looks like Tony Head and James Urbaniak had a love child.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Who played the mob boss? I can't decide if I f he's really familiar or just just seems like it because he looks like Tony Head and James Urbaniak had a love child.

Jared Harris ? He's been in a million things.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah. Jared Harris was Moriarity in the last Sherlock Holmes flick, U.S. Grant in Lincoln, played David Robert Jones on Fringe over the course of several seasons, and was recently in Poltergeist and The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

He's a great actor.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Holy poo poo these are some combat scenes that'll get your dick hard :stare:

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Geez, smoke must have really done a number on the vocal chords of that actress who plays Avasarala. Its looks painful for her to talk, and the voice is so grating I cant wait for her to stop talking whenever shes on the screen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strategic Tea posted:

I think they missed a trick in not making the Scopuli engine room as horrific as I remember it being in the books. Without it the show doesn't have the same feeling that something supremely hosed up is happening behind the scenes.
I must have missed this. What are you talking about?

gohmak posted:

Showing off the episode 4 Shed scene seems to be winning over converts.
Not having picked up on what that guy's name was, this was a really confusing post.

etalian posted:

fav character moments so far:

Avasarala throws a family friend under the bus to accomplish her political goals. Pretty much shows how she's a ruthless stone cold killer.
She's definitely the best character. I loved that scene where the friend is recounting the story of the poker game, and you can see that she's sorry to have lost his friendship, but would absolutely do the same thing again every time. I wouldn't characterise it as being about politics though, she clearly believes that she's acting for the greater good for everyone, and that's why she was willing to sacrifice her friend.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Is this worth sticking with?

I tried the first episode but the casting choices left a lot to desire - they don't match how the characters felt in the books and that bothers me :(

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

WastedJoker posted:

Is this worth sticking with?

I tried the first episode but the casting choices left a lot to desire - they don't match how the characters felt in the books and that bothers me :(

I really like the casting for Miller and Naomi specifically, but I'm only about halfway through the first book. I thought the show was great from episode one, but it definitely picks up at 3 and 4 once they get to the Donnager. Give it a go, if nothing else the production values are spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Saw 4 eps, instantly bought the books. This is exactly my jam

• Locked thread