Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

This is only partially on topic, but didn't Wenger come out and say that he thought the football bubble was going to burst and he was positioning Arsenal to be in pole position when that happened?

Yes lol he should go back and re take economics one this is not some competitive free market with an equilibrium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

This is only partially on topic, but didn't Wenger come out and say that he thought the football bubble was going to burst and he was positioning Arsenal to be in pole position when that happened?

Yeah. Oh well. At least there's a nice stadium.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Von Linus posted:

Yeah. Oh well. At least there's a nice stadium.

Arsenal supporters should consider themselves lucky Wenger hasn't heard of bitcoins

yet.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Arsenal supporters should consider themselves lucky Wenger hasn't heard of bitcoins

yet.

There's a basement full of Gold bars and automatic weapons in the emirates

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Modus Trollens posted:

If you hold a season ticket for more then 5 years you get invited to the training camp

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Modus Trollens posted:

And fifteen years worth of dehydrated food stock.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TheGoatFeeder posted:

Thats sort of how I read it too, but I guess i'm biased. It seems to me it stops any of the so called 'smaller' clubs, being bought out and being able to compete at the very top end. It just seems to raise the draw bridge as far as I can tell and helps maintain the status quo.

Getting rid of lovely owners that drive their club into debt and the ground (Leeds, Portsmouth etc) seems a far more pressing thing than stopping people investing their own money and making a club debt free.

Having said that, i'm not totally clear on how it works and what it's for, so I most likely have that totally wrong and I hold my hands up.

I think there's a definite argument to be made that the new megabastard clubs have negatively impacted the market for player wages and yet again massively inflated the amount of money that flows directly out of the game. This is not just the top tier of players, but particularly for the Scott Sinclairs and Joleon Lescotts of the world, who are making more money playing for the ELITE SQUAD than they did for a mid-table club, and therefore anyone who wants to keep their players is obliged to try and compete with that.

To a certain extent, though, that's how football works anyway. As long as you have a relegation trapdoor and a seller's market for players, any new TV money that comes in just goes toward paying more money to the same players you had last year, because if you don't, some other club will.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Not really, although it is a popular TRP myth that Wenger is waiting for the financial apocalypse. He's very strong supporter of FFP, much like Manchester United and the other historically rich clubs in europe.

quote:

Wenger, preparing his team for the FA Cup game against Plymouth on Saturday, added: "At the moment, people in football are not conscious of what is facing us economically. People still think we are in a bubble, but we will be hit like anybody else in this economical crisis, I am convinced of that.

"You will have a much more cautious market than you expect it to be and one of the isolated powers you could have are Manchester City. That will be one of their strengths because they will not have quite as much competition as they would have had in normal circumstances."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jan/02/wenger-says-arsenal-will-not-spend-crazy-money

He does have a point, although it has more or less isolated england and the premier league as a the big financial power rather than individual clubs. With the exception of Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG (and to some extent Monaco) no one in europe is anywhere near competing financially for the best players and resources. Just look at the situations in italy and spain where several big clubs have had to reduce themselves massively in order to survive.

This was a few years before PSG and Monaco come along though.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I think there's a definite argument to be made that the new megabastard clubs have negatively impacted the market for player wages and yet again massively inflated the amount of money that flows directly out of the game. This is not just the top tier of players, but particularly for the Scott Sinclairs and Joleon Lescotts of the world, who are making more money playing for the ELITE SQUAD than they did for a mid-table club, and therefore anyone who wants to keep their players is obliged to try and compete with that.

To a certain extent, though, that's how football works anyway. As long as you have a relegation trapdoor and a seller's market for players, any new TV money that comes in just goes toward paying more money to the same players you had last year, because if you don't, some other club will.

United was the original "megabastard"

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Modus Trollens posted:

Yes, but we did it the right way, by repeatedly trolling Kevin Keegan

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Modus Trollens posted:

United were lucky enough to win the first Premier League and get all the benefits that entailed. The global audience, the legion of plastics around the country due to the TV deal. Once they had that much money being pumped in of course they were going to reap the benefits.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

United were lucky enough to win the first Premier League and get all the benefits that entailed. The global audience, the legion of plastics around the country due to the TV deal. Once they had that much money being pumped in of course they were going to reap the benefits.

And others were lucky enough to be born on top of oil

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Crazy Ted posted:

And fifteen years worth of dehydrated food stock.

That's no way to talk about Wenger

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...m-FFP-fine.html

UEFA are thinking about not pocketing the money fined from FFP but redistributing it around the leagues. I'm shocked that this might happen

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

UEFA are thinking about not pocketing the money fined from FFP but redistributing it around the leagues. I'm shocked that this might happen

Until there is a literal photo/video of Platini giving Derby a phat stack I will not believe a single word of that.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Jose posted:

Hahaha, if that happened i'd feel much much better about it, but obviously it won't.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jose posted:

Knowing Platini the only league it'll get redistributed to is the Qatar Stars League.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

What were they going (to say) they were going to do with it before this?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ewar Woowar posted:

What were they going (to say) they were going to do with it before this?

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
Cristiano Ronaldo is the world's most marketable footballer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27606005

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Puseklepp posted:

Cristiano Ronaldo is the world's most marketable footballer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27606005

Bought some of his range of underwear for myself, so the article is true obviously.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
25 euros for a single piece of underwear holy poo poo

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

David beckham has the superior underwear range

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Does 84% of the world's population really know who Cristiano Ronaldo is? Seems a bit much.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Syncopated posted:

Does 84% of the world's population really know who Cristiano Ronaldo is? Seems a bit much.

A lot of us know it twice so the numbers may be skewed

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Syncopated posted:

My housemate knows precisely three footballers.

John Barnes
Bruce Grobbelaar
Ronald-Zero.

Close enough.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Syncopated posted:

Doesn't really surprise me. I think that almost every person with a television and Internet can at least associate him with football/soccer. Probably the only people who don't are the extremely elderly and people in really remote areas.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
Apparently two of Reading's board members has made things difficult for potential buyers for the past 6 months and are part of the US/Irish group bid to buy the club. The bid is bankrolled by Virgin Islands based Vibrac who have previously loaned Everton, Fulham, Southampton and West Ham eight figure amounts as advances on future income and broadcasting cash.

We've literally hit a point in football where people are selling clubs back to themselves using money from tax haven pay-day-loan companies. What the gently caress.

*EDIT*

Apparently we already owe £10m to Vibrac and Madejski is no longer in charge of the sale as Vibrac appointed a corporate rescue and recovery service to manage it last week.

We were for sale for £1 + clearing our £21m debts, but Vibrac have increased the min bid to something substantial and want a guaranteed % of future equity to go directly to them. The two board members mentioned above were Zingarevich appointments and are refusing to budge, as they want any buyer to guarantee they remain on the board for at least two more years on £5k a week.

The preferred bidder wanted to build a mall on the stadium carpark and sell our training group and youth academy. We are so absolutely hosed it's untrue.

Bacon of the Sea fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 9, 2014

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Hereford have been expelled from the Football Conference for failing to pay Ā£220,000 debts (70k tax 150k football creditors). Chester have been reinstated within the Conference Premier and Hayes and Yeading to the Conference South.

A bit mad that Rooney (or AN Other laviciously paid player) could give up a weeks wage to save them. Not that he should.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
Reading are in poo poo with the football league now and as a result potentially West Ham with the Prem, because we're letting Vibrac make business decisions for us and they've not passed the fit and proper owners test and more specifically aren't our owners.

No idea what happens in this case. Has it happened before?

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Bacon of the Sea posted:

Reading are in poo poo with the football league now and as a result potentially West Ham with the Prem, because we're letting Vibrac make business decisions for us and they've not passed the fit and proper owners test and more specifically aren't our owners.

No idea what happens in this case. Has it happened before?

Cellino didnt pass the test for leeds initially but he appealed and got the decision overruled, only case i can think of

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
"We're totally serious about FFP and won't go soft, we promise!"

City's and PSG's FFP sanctions reduced

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Pompey are crowdfunding the creation of a new academy based in the middle of the city

https://www.tifosy.com/campaigns/pompey-academy

One nutter massive fan can donate £10,000 and get this

quote:

Pledge £10,000 Limited (1 left of 1)
Portsmouth Squad Member 2014/15
A once in a lifetime opportunity to be an official Portsmouth FC squad member for 2014/15 season. + Your Virtual Square Metre

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

Pompey are crowdfunding the creation of a new academy based in the middle of the city

John Portsmouth Football Club Westwood is counting how many pounds he has in his savings as we speak.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TelekineticBear! posted:

Cellino didnt pass the test for leeds initially but he appealed and got the decision overruled, only case i can think of

This was on a technical point of Italian law though. Not sure if it would help Reading.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Total Meatlove posted:

I wonder if Tal Ben Haim would be interested?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Total Meatlove posted:

Who owns Pompey these days, anyway?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Aren't they a fan trust at this point?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

quote:

Sportswear giant Adidas has signed a £750m deal to make Manchester United's kit for 10 years from next season.

It comes after US rivals Nike decided to end their association at the end of the coming 2014-15 season.

Nike have been paying United £23.5m a year, and the new deal is worth a world record-breaking £75m a season to the Old Trafford club.

Champions League winner Real Madrid's £31m-a-year deal with Adidas was previously the biggest club deal.

Adidas will provide training and playing kit to all of the club's teams. In addition, it will have the exclusive right to distribute dual-branded merchandising products worldwide.

The huge sum involved is only £40m less than the Glazer family paid for club in 2005.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28282444

Jesus christ, someone at Adidas is getting sacked right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

The Big Taff Man posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28282444

Jesus christ, someone at Adidas is getting sacked right?

holy gently caress

• Locked thread