Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

oatgan posted:

Each area has a main questline for it I would recommend doing all of those because actual thought and effort was put into them. All the Go X and Pick Up Y quests become a slog by the end.

Yeah I'm starting to get a bit fed up with the volume of crap quests and I'm about halfway through the game. No I don't have to do them and that's great but where are the sidequests with dialogue, multiple outcomes and so on? Outside of the story missions and the main quest in a particular zone I'm not seeing anything particularly interesting. Ok its a delivery quest, put some effort into it and maybe offer me a choice of just keeping the item instead or selling it to someone else. I came across one thing in the Storm Coast that seemed promising but instead it just devolved into rarrr kill everyone again.

I hope I'm just missing some good ones so if people have any memorable ones then please post them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Krowley posted:

Point -> Skyrim has mounts

That's why I said advertising bait.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So what's the best use of a high dragon outside of making sure Bull is there to ejaculate in Qun allover the carcass? Is the Wade armor worth it in Inquisition or is it better to have 10 dragon heads across my throne room?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Winter Palace question: what are the pieces of blackmail I need on Gaspard in order for Briala to win?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Liberatore posted:

I think the difficulties have different 'changes'. For instance, when jumping from normal to hard, I didn't notice any difference in damage dealt to enemies. But I did when trying casual, as well as when going from hard to nightmare. I presume enemy HP and damage dealt changes with every difficult, though.

The pride demon you fight in the prologue is a good example. On Nightmare, if you're a Rogue, your normal attacks do something like 2 or 3 damage to it. Because everyone else was dead during most of that fight, I sped it up by taking advantage of the short period where he is incapacitated to trigger Twin Fangs' combo bonus. I eventually did that again, and decided to drop the difficulty to Hard rather than deal with that crap again. Fortunately no fight came to that level of annoying since the prologue.

I'm pretty sure normal to hard increases what percentages the "Resistant to <element>" and "Very resistant to <element>" or whatever means. Nightmare must add more armor to everything or how much damage reduction armor values are worth or something.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

man has a point: https://twitter.com/McSkops/status/535134905651703808/photo/1

(is it really that bad?)

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
For the Act 1 boss on nightmare: I ended having to kite the boss and mobs back towards the chantry. The boss is very slow so you don't have to worry about him, but you still need to get distance on him fast or else he'll trap you. Once you clear the ads the boss is very easy. I had no health potions at that point, and didn't need it so long as you keep keep it aggro'd on your tank. Clearing the ads was very tough though. You can also try and turtle in spots behind building in the village.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just kept running around the circular base of the turret and then casting lightning cage when they all grouped up at the bottleneck. Did that a few times, and then did that when I only had one person, in order to revive other people while the angry boss chased me around. It was very Benny Hill.

I don't think so? That looks like it's on incredibly low settings.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Is there a good place to farm the vials for Way of the Templar?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What platform is that from and if PC what detail settings? It looks nothing like that on my PC.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Drifter posted:

I don't think so? That looks like it's on incredibly low settings.

Yeah, looks much lower-res, and there's poorer textures than I recall from my game. Of course, that could all just be confirmation bias or something like that. I also kinda like the fact that Sera isn't at all conventionally attractive from a design perspective, though. Like, she cuts her own hair with a knife so it doesn't get in her face, and she doesn't exfoliate. I find her personality to be nails on a chalkboard, but at the same time, I respect that there's no "take off her glasses and lets down her hair and she's BEAUTIFUL" thing going on.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I just arrived in Orzammar in my DA:O run and it made me remember how much I love dwarfs. Is there no dwarvish locations at all in DA:I? If so, it`s a drat shame.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sera gets way less annoying once the game properly starts. She is at least mostly pragmatic and matter of fact. I mean Bioware could totally have made her some kind of chaotic neutral truly random person but she really isn't.

What I'm saying is she's way better than Isabella and funnier also. I don't dislike any of the companions though Vivienne gets on my nerves sometimes for clashing with my worldview.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

poptart_fairy posted:

So how is Nightmare difficulty anyway? I'm ploughing through Normal at a fairly steady rate and thinking of boosting up higher. Is it 'genuinely' challenging, or does it just turn everything into a one-shot coin toss of attrition? I'm loving the combat but it feels rather...flat at the moment.

I've beer playing on nightmare from the start. It's not overly hard, but on the other hard but there are some challenging fights. Mostly it has been about about managing aggro - a one-handed warrior can tank pretty well, but if you're not careful and the enemies start killing off your mages you'll easily run out of healing potions.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

What platform is that from and if PC what detail settings? It looks nothing like that on my PC.

I donno? Saw it via retweet.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

BaconPigbutt posted:

I just arrived in Orzammar in my DA:O run and it made me remember how much I love dwarfs. Is there no dwarvish locations at all in DA:I? If so, it`s a drat shame.

I ran into some dwarf ruins by accident in Crestwood, but so far there haven't been any Deeproad shenanigans. Which is sad, I enjoyed those.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thumbtacks posted:

I ran into some dwarf ruins by accident in Crestwood, but so far there haven't been any Deeproad shenanigans. Which is sad, I enjoyed those.

There's a Deep Roads area in the Hinterlands. You'll find the key in the mercenary fortress in the southwest. It's pretty short, though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Drifter posted:

NO

get the normal game. I don''t even know what the point of the mounts are beyond being advertising bait. They prevent party banter completely among other things.

If they were double the speed, they'd be great. As of now, it's hardly better than just walking everywhere like normal.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Geostomp posted:

If they were double the speed, they'd be great. As of now, it's hardly better than just walking everywhere like normal.

I don't care about the speed, personally. Fast travel is abundant enough that it doesn't really matter. I care that the team banter is cut.

lady volk
Aug 30, 2014
If I change my decisions on the Keep while I'm still playing DA:I does it changes stuff in-game or do I have to begin a new game?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Thumbtacks posted:

There's a deep roads trading post in Hinterlands with some nice loot and a darkspawn hole that you can plug up with some old boards. Yeah, I don't know. It isn't long enough, because they look much better in the new engine.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

lady volk posted:

If I change my decisions on the Keep while I'm still playing DA:I does it changes stuff in-game or do I have to begin a new game?

You have to export to DAI and start a new game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I love that Josephine and Leliana are always super serious about whatever stupid petty errand you send them on through the war table, but during the late game, Cullen starts putting his foot down.

'No. This is ridiculous.'

Also, everything including Morrigan in this game has been just as spectacular as the character deserves. Most of the characters have been very solid so far. They're not Mass Effect 2 good, but overall they're an engaging bunch. Even Sera had one interesting conversation.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm level 11, where can I find a ton of red templars? Need those sweet sweet vials. I thought maybe Emprise du Lion, which would work, but they're all 16-20.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
So for Iron Bull's quest (the dreadnaught): I of course saved the Chargers because they're great, but his new card art of him being surrounded by Quinari bodies is pretty grim. :stare:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Morrigan, why the gently caress are you talking about the Hero of Ferelden like he's your husband? He's a she, and romanced Zevran.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
How bad are the effects of disapproval? I keep telling the mages how free they should be and how the Templars are a load of poo poo, and I think Vivienne is going to strangle me in my sleep.

Also Sera but I don't give a drat about her.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Cythereal posted:

Morrigan, why the gently caress are you talking about the Hero of Ferelden like he's your husband? He's a she, and romanced Zevran.

Clearly she's so cut up by the fact that no one in her old party liked her that she had to invent a perfect fantasy life instead. :smith:

Does Morrigan have any scenes with Leliana, actually? I haven't done much since she joined, but they've totally ignored each other so far and it's a bit weird.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Clearly she's so cut up by the fact that no one in her old party liked her that she had to invent a perfect fantasy life instead. :smith:

Does Morrigan have any scenes with Leliana, actually? I haven't done much since she joined, but they've totally ignored each other so far and it's a bit weird.

Morrigan can gently caress right off. Who decided she's part of my war council now?

You literally don't get an option to not take her along. All your dialogue prompts are various forms of "yes."

Even the codex confirms that the Hero of Ferelden was a woman.

I get that Morrigan is a plot device to get an eluvian and knowledge thereof to the Inquisition, but she's suddenly part of the war council, has a child with the male Hero of Ferelden even though the Hero of Ferelden was set as a woman, and everyone acts like I'm insane to distrust her.

gently caress off, Gaider.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 26, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I somehow knew they were going to force Morrigan into your group like that, ugh. gently caress off Gaider.

And thanks for the input about Nightmare, guys. Sounds like it evens out a bit when you start getting your poo poo together -I was worried it'd just be a horrible slog.

Also, I'm certain Leliana's accent isn't as extreme as it was previously.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
I really like that my Inquisitor feels like his own important character almost right off the bat. I usually just project myself onto main characters until I feel like they start to develop a personality beyond me, and I went into DA:I expecting to romance Josephine but it already feels more character-appropriate to bone Cassandra. I think it took until like ME3 for my Shepard to feel like he was a distinct and well-rounded human being.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cometa Rossa posted:

I really like that my Inquisitor feels like his own important character almost right off the bat. I usually just project myself onto main characters until I feel like they start to develop a personality beyond me, and I went into DA:I expecting to romance Josephine but it already feels more character-appropriate to bone Cassandra. I think it took until like ME3 for my Shepard to feel like he was a distinct and well-rounded human being.

I think the fact that you get to choose specific emotional reactions in the dialogue wheel helps with that a lot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

poptart_fairy posted:

I somehow knew they were going to force Morrigan into your group like that, ugh. gently caress off Gaider.

So far, she's been a plot device to tell you about eluvians and conveniently provide one for the Inquisition. She tells you basically nothing except that the bad guy wants to use them.

Why, pray tell, couldn't Solas have had that part? Morrigan's added nothing except to be mysterious and exotic and wear a ridiculously skimpy top, and somehow imagine that she married and had a child with the woman who saved Ferelden, only now she thinks the Hero was a man instead.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bugs aside I'm sure the Bioware social forums, tumblr, etc. all love that she's in the game so theres that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

So far, she's been a plot device to tell you about eluvians and conveniently provide one for the Inquisition. She tells you basically nothing except that the bad guy wants to use them.

Why, pray tell, couldn't Solas have had that part? Morrigan's added nothing except to be mysterious and exotic and wear a ridiculously skimpy top, and somehow imagine that she married and had a child with the woman who saved Ferelden, only now she thinks the Hero was a man instead.

Ask the same of Hawke in this game.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Cometa Rossa posted:

Having a backstory that charcters will actually reference too helps. I love it when Josephine refers to my character by his proper title as fitting for a man of his station.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I just finished up Redcliffe and haven't had any major conversations with any of my companions. I'm guessing I'm not far enough into the game yet but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any major opportunities for dialogue.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Pattonesque posted:

I think the fact that you get to choose specific emotional reactions in the dialogue wheel helps with that a lot.

Not only that, but there's several conversations where you can choose aspects of your character's past (you can talk about your relationship with your family and how your time was at the Circle as a human mage, for example, with several different options for each). For me, that really makes the Inquisitor feel like my Inquisitor.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Polaron posted:

Not only that, but there's several conversations where you can choose aspects of your character's past (you can talk about your relationship with your family and how your time was at the Circle as a human mage, for example, with several different options for each). For me, that really makes the Inquisitor feel like my Inquisitor.

Yeah, like the part with Josephine where she asks about petitioning your family for help as a human noble, and you can right then and there decide if your character was a rebel, if she loves her family, etc. Small thing, but important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rad Valtar posted:

So I just finished up Redcliffe and haven't had any major conversations with any of my companions. I'm guessing I'm not far enough into the game yet but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any major opportunities for dialogue.
Define "major." You should have a good idea of who your companions are and what's important to them by that point. Their personal quests don't hit until Act II but at least exhaust everyone's dialogue.

• Locked thread