Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hentaikid
May 18, 2005

by Peatpot
I thought the Xykon/V fight was an interesting illustration of the difference between "experience" as in "levels and raw power" and experience as in tactics and preparedness, while V had the edge in levels, he was clearly outmatched by Xykon's superior experience, as we understand it in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Hentaikid posted:

I thought the Xykon/V fight was an interesting illustration of the difference between "experience" as in "levels and raw power" and experience as in tactics and preparedness, while V had the edge in levels, he was clearly outmatched by Xykon's superior experience, as we understand it in the real world.

Did V have the edge in levels? I don't think there's any evidence of this at all.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
He had himself, who's fairly high-level, plus the souls of two epic-level spellcasters. One high-level wizard plus two epic casters > one epic caster.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Wanderer posted:

He had himself, who's fairly high-level, plus the souls of two epic-level spellcasters. One high-level wizard plus two epic casters > one epic caster.

Yeah, but the question is how epic. One high level caster plus two low-epic casters >/ one currently clocking in at around 30th level epic caster.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
Why are you all debating richlich's power leve? he won because he's the favorite character of the writer, at no point was he presented as a 30th level character before this point or anything similar

it's pretty typical in webcomics, he's the badass dude that people like, and the writer likes too much, and while we're ok with him now, once the story has gone around and around a few more times everyone will b sick of him

Sick_Boy posted:

Well, I happen to think that having certain well-developed NPCs actually adds to the roleplaying experience, as my players know that they can engage in conversation with characters and figure out their motivations, their preferences, their opinions; and it will be coherent, enabling them to feel empathy towards the NPCs. As far as storytelling goes, having real characters and not two-dimensional cut-outs is essential.
you should never value your NPCs more than your players, and that's pretty much what your initial post was saying wether you admit it or not.

quote:

But if you want to have such deep, rewarding NPCs as "Shopkeeper", "Blacksmith" and "Guy who gives us quests", it's your prerogative.
I want your first reaction to "give the players a chance to play ion a scen they're not present in" to be something other than "noo noo, my beloved NPCs, you can't touch them! how dare youuuu!"

Lord Commissar posted:

No I'm not, I just don't play D&D, because it's not really based on roleplaying. That's why you earn XP for killing poo poo instead of playing your character.
You get XP for overcoming challenges of all kinds, it's just that they have rules set up for tnat rather than hand-waving it and pretending that encourages roleplaying. Regardless, your comment was ill informed and shows system snobbery out of touch with any real impact the system may have.

There are a lot of games that claim to be better at roleplaying than D&D, a lot of them have some cool tricks, but when you get right down to it, you can rp with pretty much any system, and systems that boast about 'styrtelling' are often the worst offenders when it comes to bad desgin getting on the way of RP.

speak of the devil:

Sick_Boy posted:

I know I'm biased on this, but the oWOD system has a very heavy emphasis on roleplaying, since in most games non-combatant characters tend to make up a large chunk of the party.
Not only was OWOD a horrible system and setting for roleplaying (they admitted this themself when they rebooted the system and setting), but if you think there weren't shitloads of powergaming munchkins playing OWOD games, you're dreaming.

quote:

The character creation demands an elaboration on the character's personality and backstory that D&D tends to gloss over, and social / roleplaying-affecting powers and abilities are a large part of the possibilities for character "leveling".
Bullshit, using Presence or Dominate or a Blood Bond doesn't enhance social scenes, it wrecks them.

quote:

As a rule of thumb, I tend to distrust any game that devotes more pages in the handbook to combat than it does to character creation and setting.
As a rule of thumb anyone singing the praises of OWOD, talking about it encouraging roleplaying, is full of it.

quote:

This also illustrates the importance of well-crafted NPCs in your world, too.
yes, like the well-crafted NPCS in all those OWOD modules who would do all the cool stuff while the PCs sat on the sidelines and watched.

happyelf fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 17, 2009

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

happyelf posted:

Why are you all debating richlich's power leve? he won because he's the favorite character of the writer, at no point was he presented as a 30th level character before this point or anything similar

Because that's the minimum level he normally needs to be to do what we just saw him do. This is a d20-based comic; dissecting these things is part of the fun.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

happyelf posted:

you should never value your NPCs more than your players, and that's pretty much what your initial post was saying wether you admit it or not.
I want your first reaction to "give the players a chance to play ion a scen they're not present in" to be something other than "noo noo, my beloved NPCs, you can't touch them! how dare youuuu!"

I don't value NPCs over PCs. Many, many time has a NPC died or been killed by the party without his/her history coming up. The point is, the story has to be there in case the players investigate or chat with the character. Motivations can't be "just because I like it", and characters PC or NPC should be that, characters.

happyelf posted:

speak of the devil:
Not only was OWOD a horrible system and setting for roleplaying (they admitted this themself when they rebooted the system and setting), but if you think there weren't shitloads of powergaming munchkins playing OWOD games, you're dreaming.
Bullshit, using Presence or Dominate or a Blood Bond doesn't enhance social scenes, it wrecks them.

No, they rebooted because the game was becoming too action oriented, and was losing its "personal horror" motif. And yes, you can powergame in OWOD, but unlike D&D the game is not made for the "munchkins". And in the case of the Vampire powers you cited, they can make for very interesting roleplaying ethically, as they are pretty much mental and emotional rape; the consequences have to be addressed. But I agree Presence in particular has to be dealt with very carefully, as Majesty is pretty close to a gamebreaker.

happyelf posted:

As a rule of thumb anyone singing the praises of OWOD, talking about it encouraging roleplaying, is full of it.
yes, like the well-crafted NPCS in all those OWOD modules who would do all the cool stuff while the PCs sat on the sidelines and watched.
Never GMed a module, so I wouldn't know about that. I think you have a pretty terrible GM in your mind and are confusing bad GMing with the actual games and their spirit.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sick_Boy posted:

No, they rebooted because the game was becoming too action oriented, and was losing its "personal horror" motif.

You have it precisely backward. The OWOD got better as time went on, and the books that came out between 1999-2003 are far superior to most of what came before. The reboot was in part to allow them to do stuff at that level of quality without having to deal with the horrible pre-Revised poo poo.

I mean, seriously, how did it take eleven goddamn years for The Gilded Cage and Dead Man's Party to come out? Books on undead intrigue and influence peddling should've been among the first to come out for Vampire, and not among the last.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

Pope Guilty posted:

You have it precisely backward. The OWOD got better as time went on, and the books that came out between 1999-2003 are far superior to most of what came before. The reboot was in part to allow them to do stuff at that level of quality without having to deal with the horrible pre-Revised poo poo.

I mean, seriously, how did it take eleven goddamn years for The Gilded Cage and Dead Man's Party to come out? Books on undead intrigue and influence peddling should've been among the first to come out for Vampire, and not among the last.

You may be right. As I said, I don't do modules. I got the action thing from somewhere else on the web, can't remember exactly where. I spoke out of place there.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Sick_Boy posted:

I think you have a pretty terrible GM in your mind and are confusing bad GMing with the actual games and their spirit.

He's happyelf. Don't mistake anything he says at any point for rational discourse.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Happyelf is a professional troll; the best course of action is to just put him on ignore and enjoy your newly improved quality of life.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Happyelf is a professional troll; the best course of action is to just put him on ignore and enjoy your newly improved quality of life.

I had never encountered him before. I'll put your advice to good use.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Anytime an NPC plays a major role in a game, and you post about it, on a roll of 1-99 happyelf appears to explain that you are having fun incorrectly.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
I always love it when people who lost an argument elsewhere come out of the woodwork to call me a troll. Why aren't you guys calling me a troll in TGD? Kinda backlashed, as I recall.

Donraj posted:

Because that's the minimum level he normally needs to be to do what we just saw him do. This is a d20-based comic; dissecting these things is part of the fun.
Yeah but he's already talked about how the system doesn't matter and so on, I mean if he sticks to 3.5 for real, then everyone but V and Durkon and possibly Haley is going to have a pretty dull time of it going forward, since that's one of the gaping flaws in third edition.

As it is, the way he uses or does not use stats and rules are simply an expression of his writing, and in his writing Xykon owns and will keep owning and sooner or later him owning is going to get really boring.

I don't care if he's dressed it up as a moral lesson, the lich's posse made a token contribution at best, and like somebody said, he just beat him by out-magicking him anyway. V could have dropped a buiding on the tower or done any number of other things, instead he walked up to Xykon, bennt over and asked him to kick his rear end. Because that is what people do when they take on the writer's favorite character.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Actually, it seems pretty clear to me that we don't get shown all the action. There's no reason to assume that the other PCs have their thumbs up their butts while we're not watching - this isn't a transcript of a play session. In fact, Rich seems to encourage the readers to fill in the parts that he leaves out for narrative purposes, like how Haley etc got into a resistance movement, for example. I think of the OotS strips as highlights of an accelerated game - look at how much people complained when he focused mostly on V for 30 strips (out of 600+), imagine what it would be like if the plot-important parts of the story were constantly interrupted by strips about how many Remove Poison spells Durkon was prepping that day. I just assume the other PCs are taken care of, and I think that's fair.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

happyelf posted:

I always love it when people who lost an argument elsewhere come out of the woodwork to call me a troll. Why aren't you guys calling me a troll in TGD? Kinda backlashed, as I recall.
You post in the Mafia forum too?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

So much for getting a sweet-rear end paladin to replace your antisocial grumpy wizard. Oh well, I guess he wasn't all that funny a character, anyway.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Now I'm wondering what's up with the roaches. Poof? I'm guessing it's a hint that they are outsiders of some sort. I dunno if this was hinted at earlier.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Seftir posted:

Now I'm wondering what's up with the roaches. Poof? I'm guessing it's a hint that they are outsiders of some sort. I dunno if this was hinted at earlier.

They're demon roaches. Apparently they follow Xykon around, when he was alive because he was a messy eater. Now they follow him around because the thing in the box is a messy eater.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
A good man? :wtc:

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
The Cockroaches don't have any real significance, but they are outsiders.
Tiny Start of Darkness spoilers-
The cockroaches come from an Evil Diner. They came through a portal which was used to summon ingredients from the Abyss for 'authentic evil ethnic food'. They have no real motivation, just an ability to break the 4th wall and dissapear when things get too dramatic.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ashenai posted:

A good man? :wtc:

Sure. He lives in a world of multiple sentient races; being a "man" doesn't have to mean "human." It just means you possess certain qualities.

Man, O'Chul rules. He just managed to pull off a fairly adept manipulation while being lawful good the entire time. If Xykon hauls off and obliterates O'Chul, the Thing in the Box is going to go batshit.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

This motherfucking update.....

I am just chomping at the bit for the next strip.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
Thanh and the other resistance members might show up to investigate the giant crash noise caused by V's initial teleport in. 2 Paladins plus a various assortment of other classes might cause enough commotion for V to escape (or they could smash and grab her). Plus that opens up the possibility for closure with the character if she needs to face all those Azurites after abandoning them during the siege. I don't really think V will end up rotting in a prison cell.

But I am almost certain O'Chul is going to die.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

bison wings posted:

But I am almost certain O'Chul is going to die.

The odds are so ridiculously against O-Chul that I'm actually kind of expecting him to survive.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Wanderer posted:

Sure. He lives in a world of multiple sentient races; being a "man" doesn't have to mean "human." It just means you possess certain qualities.

Man, O'Chul rules. He just managed to pull off a fairly adept manipulation while being lawful good the entire time. If Xykon hauls off and obliterates O'Chul, the Thing in the Box is going to go batshit.

Not manipulate, guide :smug:

I'm consistently impressed at how adept Rich is at writing Lawful Good characters. Bioware good learn a metric poo poo-ton from this strip.

Come on box-monster help O-Chul :(

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Happyelf I really don't think you're on base about V losing solely because Xykon is the author's favorite character. Xykon is the main villain - the laws of narrative say that he'll win all solo encounters that come before the climax.

And your example of V collapsing the tower on Xykon doesn't make sense - for starters, V is just itching to show off his arcane power after getting thwarted by his own party members. For another, V knows about the phylactery. Being buried under a pile of rubble won't stop Xykon from regenerating, and all that rubble makes it a bitch to find the phylactery to destroy it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

O'chul is really ridiculously badass. I'm sort of sad that his lifespan is probably measured in panels, not strips at this point. Although I expect if he does go out, it will be in a really interesting way.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

For another, V knows about the phylactery.
Does (s)he?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Yes. Roy's dad explains the gimmick to Roy and Haley in strip 293, and Roy seems to relay that to the rest of the party in strip 294.

Edit: Do they still have Roy's sword? I did not see it in the most recent pages but I did also not see where they would have lost it.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 19, 2009

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

That is so just incredibly badass, its everything a paladin should be. I've seen so many terrible paladins that I am just in awe of the last strip.

If this was a PnP campaign and I was the DM, this is the sort of paladinly conduct which gets actual divine intervention ;).

O'chul = greatest paladin ever.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 19, 2009

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Vanadium posted:

Yes. Roy's dad explains the gimmick to Roy and Haley in strip 293, and Roy seems to relay that to the rest of the party in strip 294.

Edit: Do they still have Roy's sword? I did not see it in the most recent pages but I did also not see where they would have lost it.

Haley has multiple bags of holding, so the sword wouldn't necessarily need to be visible for them to have it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Diogines posted:

That is so just incredibly badass, its everything a paladin should be. I've seen so many terrible paladins that I am just in awe of the last strip.

If this was a PnP campaign and I was the DM, this is the sort of paladinly conduct which gets actual divine intervention ;).

O'chul = greatest paladin ever.

I think Rich just wanted to put in a paladin to show what a real paladin is capable of, rather than just showing a lovely paladin like Miko. He really is the ultimate paladin. Having a chance to escape, but instead staying to try and show what could be a very powerful evil minion that he can be good is loving badass.

Sefer posted:

Haley has multiple bags of holding, so the sword wouldn't necessarily need to be visible for them to have it.

Hopefully they took the sheath, you really shouldn't put sharp objects in a bag of holding.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

seaborgium posted:

Hopefully they took the sheath, you really shouldn't put sharp objects in a bag of holding.

I think they got rid of that in 3rd edition. Too many dick headed DM's deciding that your bag's would suddenly rip a hole and all your poo poo disappeared.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I keep hearing O Chuul's voice as Papa Smurf's. Is that odd?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

If I ever play a paladin, this is the guide to go off of now.

Also, I think we're missing the possibility that V ends up in even more despair because once again, his/her lack of power caused the suffering of Azurites.

EDIT: Also, that typo in the strip is not going to stop bothering me.

Neito fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 19, 2009

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neito posted:

Also, I think we're missing the possibility that V ends up in even more despair because once again, his/her lack of power caused the suffering of Azurites.

V was never down because he 'caused the suffering of Azurites,' he did what he did because his magic failed to overcome the situation. This is about his wounded pride, not because he feels guilty over failing the people.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

zeal posted:

V was never down because he 'caused the suffering of Azurites,' he did what he did because his magic failed to overcome the situation. This is about his wounded pride, not because he feels guilty over failing the people.

I'd say his nightmare says differently.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
I think V was definitely affected by their cries for help and deathbed curses. She's fundamentally a good person (good as an adjective not as an alignment). In the past we've seen her as short tempered and superior, but she's also felt remorseful. This whole blitz for power maneuver was from a stress reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah, even good people are prone to poor judgment and nastiness sometimes.