Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Zoness posted:

a second firewalker has hit the battlefield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Tried Courser of Kruphix as a 1-of in my maverick deck for legacy night tonight and it was surprisingly very good. Ended up drawing it a lot and it got a lot of value every game so I'm going to keep it in for a while.

Still can't decide if I want to do 4 wasteland / 2 cavern or 3 wasteland, 1 cavern, and Depths/stage combo. Depths/stage worked well tonight though.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

C-Euro posted:

I also just remembered that Sanctimony is Modern-legal, it might be funny to run this instead of Firewalkers so that when your opponent boards in non-red removal for Game 2 they can't actually use it to stop your lifegain. Not being able to block is a big downside though.

That card wrecked me once. "I'll take burn to this event, the local meta has been soft one it!" Rd1 Naya zoo running finks, baloths, and Sanctimony. Rd 2 Bant Allies (before BFZ) with Ondu Clerics and the 1U ally shapeshifter. What a poo poo day that was.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

jassi007 posted:

That card wrecked me once. "I'll take burn to this event, the local meta has been soft one it!" Rd1 Naya zoo running finks, baloths, and Sanctimony. Rd 2 Bant Allies (before BFZ) with Ondu Clerics and the 1U ally shapeshifter. What a poo poo day that was.

Stigma lasher :unsmigghh:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Modern this weekend, lets get excited. I'm hoping to see some cool rogue deck worth rooting for.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Knightfall is apparently good enough for legacy so we'll probably see some of it. Hoping for some durdly gifts/btl monstrosity as well.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Knightfall is apparently good enough for legacy so we'll probably see some of it. Hoping for some durdly gifts/btl monstrosity as well.

Scapeshift seems to have taken to playing BtL and some versions are running Gifts, so perhaps a Scapeshift/Gifts/BtL monstrosity? :v:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Be still my heart.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bhsman posted:

Scapeshift seems to have taken to playing BtL and some versions are running Gifts, so perhaps a Scapeshift/Gifts/BtL monstrosity? :v:

I don't get why Scapeshift needs 6-8 copies of Scapeshift... And the cost of having to pay 5 mana for it and splash a 4th color isn't nothing.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

You can also fetch situational 1-ofs like Supreme Verdict or Shatterstorm or whatever ...

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

I don't get why Scapeshift needs 6-8 copies of Scapeshift... And the cost of having to pay 5 mana for it and splash a 4th color isn't nothing.

Bonus posted:

You can also fetch situational 1-ofs like Supreme Verdict or Shatterstorm or whatever ...

Yeah, Scapeshift having access to a toolbox of boardwipes (such as Wrath of God and Anger of the Gods) is a major benefit.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

It's not 6-8 copies of scapeshift, though, it's 3-4 copies of scapeshift and +3 or +4 copies of every other spell in the deck.

It lets you run a toolbox of answers in a deck that is a control deck that seeks to aggressively develop its board and dig to cast it's one card combo.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
splash black for clutch of the undercity imo

if you're playing btl you can even add brainspoil for that double transmute action :getin:

callin chewylsb in here to talk about 4c scapeshift

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bhsman posted:

Yeah, Scapeshift having access to a toolbox of boardwipes (such as Wrath of God and Anger of the Gods) is a major benefit.

Yeah but you're paying 5 mana for board wipes in a format that needs you to have them on T3...

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but you're paying 5 mana for board wipes in a format that needs you to have them on T3...

I haven't played with a 4c BtL list, but RUG Scapeshift can do 5 mana with absurd color requirements by turn 4 pretty consistently and by turn three every once in a while, so a 5cmc tutor + free cast seems pretty legit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Static Equilibrium posted:

I haven't played with a 4c BtL list, but RUG Scapeshift can do 5 mana with absurd color requirements by turn 4 pretty consistently and by turn three every once in a while, so a 5cmc tutor + free cast seems pretty legit.

I guess the question why not just play Anger of the Gods and Peer Through Depths...

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Scapeshift is a deck that casts a t1 ramp spell and a t2 ramp spell to give it 5 mana on turn 3. 5 mana on turn 4 is ultra doable.

mcmagic posted:

I guess the question why not just play Anger of the Gods and Peer Through Depths...

Because now you're jamming 8 cards into your deck instead of 4 (3 BTL and 1 Anger)

Have you never played a toolbox setup before? The goal is to be able to cram in a flexible response kit without using all the deck slots.

Scapeshift in particular already runs Sakura Tribe Elder, Electrolyze, Cryptic Command, izzet charms, and some other assortment of cards (in the BTL decks it is now 3 BTL and an Anger of the Gods, previously it was a mixture of bolts and sweepers) to provide ground interaction with resolved creatures.

By moving away from 4 Anger, 4 Scapeshift to 1 Anger, 3 BTL, 3 Scapeshift, you increase your odds of hitting scapeshift and add a slot to the deck, which you can then fill with a new card that attacks from a different angle, like say an obstinate baloth. Now you've got 4 maindeck baloths for burn, 4 maindeck sweepers for aggro, and 6 scapeshifts, whereas for the same card count previously you only had 4 anger for aggro and 4 scapeshift.

also the BTLs can be any other card in your deck that the situation might call for.

BTL allows for a toolbox build and the deck itself can support 3 colors +1 4th color land for enabling scapeshift very easily. Keep in mind BTL for Anger does not require 4 colors.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

mcmagic posted:

BtL lets you run a bunch of backbreaking 1-of hate cards in your sideboard and still consistently find them in game. Like, being able to run 5 copies of Sowing Salts (or whatever the BFZ replacement is) post board for a single sideboard slot is kind of attractive for a control deck, for instance. Same with Creeping Corrosion, bounce spells, a gifts package if you're looking to just jam a 5 color cryptic command deck...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Slaughter Games is another good one. I also found a list that boards a Melira but that's probably too cute.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I played against a RG summoning trap deck this morning on modo, seemed really sweet, hope to see that today at #scgdfw

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I had a Loam Pox player concede to a turn 1 Grafdigger's Cage yesterday :smug:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

kirtar posted:

This only stops their bloodghasts/nether spirit, right?

That seems really loose.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sigma-X posted:

This only stops their bloodghasts/nether spirit, right?

That seems really loose.

It also stops retrace and flashback. He kept his hand based on a plan of T1 looting, T2 souls flashback, T3 looting flashback with a hand otherwise full of lands.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 31, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

kirtar posted:

I was confused until I remembered that Modern Loam Pox is a deck, and it's much weaker than Legacy Loam against Grafdigger's Cage. A Legacy Assault Loam deck would laugh at you for wasting a card, and then start playing the long game to eventually make you run out of cards in hand and permanents.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Chamale posted:

I was confused until I remembered that Modern Loam Pox is a deck, and it's much weaker than Legacy Loam against Grafdigger's Cage. A Legacy Assault Loam deck would laugh at you for wasting a card, and then start playing the long game to eventually make you run out of cards in hand and permanents.

Yeah I probably should have specified Modern.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Static Equilibrium posted:

BtL lets you run a bunch of backbreaking 1-of hate cards in your sideboard and still consistently find them in game. Like, being able to run 5 copies of Sowing Salts (or whatever the BFZ replacement is) post board for a single sideboard slot is kind of attractive for a control deck, for instance. Same with Creeping Corrosion, bounce spells, a gifts package if you're looking to just jam a 5 color cryptic command deck...

I actually run 2 btl in my Knightfall deck to grab a t4 coralhelm of i need it. It's pretty sweet to be able to summon things up you need and jam them into play for the combo to win. Sure it's a turn late but if you can protect the turn 2 knight it's perfectly fine.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

BtL can't find enchantments.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Whatever man, the game is better when you don't read the cards

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Booyah- posted:

Whatever man, the game is better when you don't read the cards

I'm reminded of the time I thought Azorius Guildmage could be sideboard tech against storm.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

In other words, use Wargate

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
E; wait I'm thinking of a different card. Nevermind.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

Wow I have been playing this thing for 2 weeks and no one ( including me) ever caught that. I should read cards and give back my FNM wins.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

kirtar posted:

It also stops retrace and flashback. He kept his hand based on a plan of T1 looting, T2 souls flashback, T3 looting flashback with a hand otherwise full of lands.

oh I thought he was playing a fringe barely playable deck and not a fringe garbage deck :v:

Modern loam decks seem really bad, they have all the fragility of legacy loam decks but without anything remotely resembling a powerful play.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

So I played in my very first ever Legacy tournament last night, at my local shop that allows you to run unlimited proxies. I had an absolute blast with a Shardless Sultai build, and went 2-2, beating Miracles and Omnitell and losing to Painter-Stone and some kind of Death and Taxes / Loam build. Everyone was friendly and patient, outside of the dude playing Death and Taxes who was an absolute prick. I was understandably playing a bit slowly, and he would do things like reach out and remove a suspend counter from one of my cards at the beginning of my upkeep (because I wasn't doing it fast enough, apparently), look at his sideboard during my turns, scribble down random numbers on a pad of paper, play multiple cards in succession without allowing me a chance to respond or even read the cards I wasn't familiar with, and audibly sigh and say "you should probably just scoop" when I was locked out with Wastelands.

Anyways I'm going to go back next week with something new, since all it takes is five bucks and 30 minutes and I can have a brand new deck with all color proxies. Any suggestions? I really dig aggro / tempo strategies.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Didn't you get the memo? Legacy is dead, and StarCityGames killed it

Also, for legacy:
Aggro - Merfolk
Tempo - RUG Delver

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

Didn't you get the memo? Legacy is dead, and StarCityGames killed it

Tempo - RUG Delver

Do this. RUG Delver is the best deck. If you ever want to test a deck out online there's usually someone in the irc who'll play, myself included.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What are your favorite decks in other formats? Legacy is great and diverse so it's a pretty open ended question.

My local shop does the same thing and it's a great idea. $5, no cash or credit prizes but they always have 4 cards as prizes and prizes are picked at the end based on standings, plus they're always at least $5 cards. I always end up playing the same deck though because I love the deck and I'm trying to finish it so I want to get good at it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Just play miracles forever. Its super fun and not going anywhere unless they ban brainstorm or top, which seems incredibly unlikely.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Just play miracles forever. Its super fun and not going anywhere unless they ban brainstorm or top, which seems incredibly unlikely.

Going to time every round is fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Going to time every round is fun?

I really hate this argument every time people bring up miracles. If you are quick enough at performing the mechanical actions of topping, setting up your draws etc. you will almost never go to time. I have gone to time once in the last ~six months or so. More often that not what eats up the clock is your opponent who thinks they can find an out to the soft-lock wasting most of the time. With enough practice the games go very very fast, and prompting your opponent to play quicker early in the match if they are playing slowly.

• Locked thread