Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

bhsman posted:

Is there a concern of losing Real Hard to RiP? The deck looks fun otherwise.

I think the deck benefits from being fringe, no one packs much GY hate. There is the Ray of Revelation in the SB too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

black potus posted:

any of you other nerds seatacing this weekend
Lowtax is incredibly bad at running a website and PMs are down, I'm going with Cactrot, we got a room and we're going down Fri afternoon if you wanna test hmu, npcdel@gmail.com

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

black potus posted:

I only attend events in God's timezone, EST

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

AgentSythe posted:

I only attend events in God's timezone, EST

So you don't attend events during EDT? :eng101:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

EvilBeard posted:

So you don't attend events during EDT? :eng101:

It's a shame that Indiana started observing DST.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

kirtar posted:

It's a shame that Indiana started observing DST.

I don't have to remember whether the TV show I want to watch is on during Central time or Eastern time now, though.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

black potus posted:

I loving wish. Nobody else on the team wanted to go and I didn't want to pay for a hotel solo :(

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Last second jitters. Bog-standard Legacy Merfolk, but thinking x2 Harbinger of the Tides is not gonna get there, so two slots free. Options:

Third Phantasmal Image
Vedalken Shackles
Spreading Seas
Overtaker
Rootwater Thief
Riptide Pilferer
Sygg, River Cutthroat

Thoughts? What would the best two of those be?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Personally I think rootwater thief is hilarious to use, but why isn't harbinger good enough? Wasn't that considered a pretty strong new addition to merfolk decks? I'm not very up to date on legacy merfolk decks.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Everblight posted:

Last second jitters. Bog-standard Legacy Merfolk, but thinking x2 Harbinger of the Tides is not gonna get there, so two slots free. Options:

Third Phantasmal Image
Vedalken Shackles
Spreading Seas
Overtaker
Rootwater Thief
Riptide Pilferer
Sygg, River Cutthroat

Thoughts? What would the best two of those be?
I really like shackles. It's good in nearly every match, but it depends on how many islands you're actually running. Also maybe play another (or a first) jitte.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

This is the deck right now. Sideboard is kinda up in the air, might throw a singleton harbinger in there, the Stifle wants to be a Flusterstorm, but I'm cheap. Going with 3rd Image and Shackles.

Deck: Merfolk

//Lands
4 Cavern of Souls
12 Island
4 Mutavault

//Spells
3 Daze
4 Force of Will
2 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Ęther Vial
1 Vedalken Shackles

//Creatures
4 Cursecatcher
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Master of the Pearl Trident
3 Merrow Reejerey
3 Phantasmal Image
4 Silvergill Adept
4 True-Name Nemesis

//Sideboard
2 Submerge
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Pithing Needle
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Stifle
1 Echoing Truth
1 Dismember
2 Cursed Totem
1 Chill
2 Back to Basics
1 Swan Song

Display deck statistics

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

L0cke17 posted:

I really like shackles. It's good in nearly every match, but it depends on how many islands you're actually running. Also maybe play another (or a first) jitte.

In my experience, you have too many non-island lands, and you shouldn't be drawing many lands beyond the 3rd/4th. Goyf outgrows it very quickly. Other things you aren't worried about because you just race those things. I think Jitte is fine. I'd rather have something like maindeck Dismember.

edit: this decklist needs more Chalice of the Void.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

EvilBeard posted:

In my experience, you have too many non-island lands, and you shouldn't be drawing many lands beyond the 3rd/4th. Goyf outgrows it very quickly. Other things you aren't worried about because you just race those things. I think Jitte is fine. I'd rather have something like maindeck Dismember.

edit: this decklist needs more Chalice of the Void.

Yeah, a dozen islands probably isnt enough for shackles.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Okay then, shackles out, what do I remove to fit in 3 chalice?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cactrot posted:

Okay then, shackles out, what do I remove to fit in 3 chalice?

I would remove from the main
1 jitte
1 shackles
1 TNN

I would remove from the sideboard
2 back to basics (chalice should interact with these decks pretty heavily)

I would add to the sideboard
1 jitte
1 chalice

e: alternatively I would remove from the sideboard stifle and dismember to make room for the jitte and chalice. This might actually be better.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I would keep 2 jittes main personally. Its your best card against miracles, which is one of your worst matchups in general, and only rising in popularity again.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

L0cke17 posted:

I would keep 2 jittes main personally. Its your best card against miracles, which is one of your worst matchups in general, and only rising in popularity again.

I don't play much legacy and I've never played merfolk vs miracles(from either side), but what makes jitte good against miracles? That seems very strange to me.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Elyv posted:

I don't play much legacy and I've never played merfolk vs miracles(from either side), but what makes jitte good against miracles? That seems very strange to me.

It turns any single creature into a potential winning clock. A resolved Jitte means you no longer have to commit heavily to the board with creatures and get completely blown out by a terminus.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Aether Vial seems like the best card vs Miracles...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

Jitte basically gives whatever it's on +4/+4 so it's a very fast clock that you don't need to overcommit for. Merfolk is favored against Miracles anyway, so that's kind of overkill. Jitte in Fish always seemed kinda medium to me. It's not usually good enough against the decks you're bad against (Jund, RUG, etc) and it's winmore against the decks you're good against.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'd also look at a Kira, Great Glass-Spinner to find room for. It's great against the fair decks packing a decent number of removal spells.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Jitte basically gives whatever it's on +4/+4 so it's a very fast clock that you don't need to overcommit for. Merfolk is favored against Miracles anyway, so that's kind of overkill. Jitte in Fish always seemed kinda medium to me. It's not usually good enough against the decks you're bad against (Jund, RUG, etc) and it's winmore against the decks you're good against.
RUG a bad matchup? I played RUG delver against a merfolk list a while ago and the matchup seemed to heavily favor the merfolk side. You can hardly counter anything because of the caverns and vials, and while your wastelands can tag caverns and mutavaults, you can't really mana screw them because of all the basic islands they run. Plus their islandwalk is always on and RUG has no way of dealing with a resolved TNN.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Hey, all you Merfolk players:

What cards do you hate to see from Mono-U Tron?
I need to shore up my matchup, as there's gonna be a few in my meta, and it really feels like one of my worst matchups. Cavern and Vial means a lot fo the time, my permission is dead, and mono-U tron is not a "rush to tron" kind of deck, so I can't just try and get a quick platinum angel or Ugin down consistently.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mehall posted:

I need to shore up my matchup, as there's gonna be a few in my meta, and it really feels like one of my worst matchups. Cavern and Vial means a lot fo the time, my permission is dead, and mono-U tron is not a "rush to tron" kind of deck, so I can't just try and get a quick platinum angel or Ugin down consistently.

I usually don't see many cards from U-tron to begin with, on account of the matchup being so in favor of Merfolk and it being even better post-board.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Cactrot posted:

I usually don't see many cards from U-tron to begin with, on account of the matchup being so in favor of Merfolk and it being even better post-board.

I'm thinking Silent Arbiter and Aetherize/Aetherspouts maybe?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mehall posted:

Repeal does a lot, Ugin and O-Stone pretty much end the game, Cyclonic Rift should buy you enough time to get stuff going, even Wurmcoil buys a lot of time. Platinum Angel can be hard for them to deal with, especially if you don't ever attack with it. It's one of those matchups that seems like it should be abysmal but I've never come close to losing a match so I'm not so sure.

Bonus posted:

RUG a bad matchup? I played RUG delver against a merfolk list a while ago and the matchup seemed to heavily favor the merfolk side. You can hardly counter anything because of the caverns and vials, and while your wastelands can tag caverns and mutavaults, you can't really mana screw them because of all the basic islands they run. Plus their islandwalk is always on and RUG has no way of dealing with a resolved TNN.

I've also never lost a match to Merfolk with RUG Delver. The only games I even lost involved Cavern or Vial and True-Name, which is still usually beatable. Goyf and Delver race pretty well and you have 12+ points of burn that they don't.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

Repeal does a lot, Ugin and O-Stone pretty much end the game, Cyclonic Rift should buy you enough time to get stuff going, even Wurmcoil buys a lot of time. Platinum Angel can be hard for them to deal with, especially if you don't ever attack with it. It's one of those matchups that seems like it should be abysmal but I've never come close to losing a match so I'm not so sure.

I don't know who you're playing against, but they must be pretty terrible (though the same is probably true of the U-tron players I've played against). It seems to me like U-tron gets kinda sideswiped by a lot of the incidental affinity sideboard hate that Merfolk already has, in addition to maindeck spreading seas that prevent tron assembly. Platinum angel is pretty hilariously easy to deal with when you get them down to 0 and then just Hurkyl's recall their angel.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Quick! Someone tell me why I shouldn't run a fun-of Bind in Loam Pox instead of a singleton SDT.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Everblight posted:

Quick! Someone tell me why I shouldn't run a fun-of Bind in Loam Pox instead of a singleton SDT.

SDT is a good card and you want it in your deck. What are you expecting to hit with Bind, fetch triggers? Storm? I don't think a fun-of is worth it and especially not over Top in the slow non-blue deck.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Everblight posted:

Nobody plays Trickbind and everything that Bind does, Sinkhole, Smallpox, Wasteland, Innocent Blood, Hymn to Tourach, Every Other Card in the deck do equally well.

People play stifle because they're playing blue and aren't on the "blow up all your lands plan" and it has additional game against storm and random cards they don't want to blow force on. You have a bunch of discard and land destruction to address those avenues of play.

But you need to find them, and SDT does that.

e: oh poo poo that's right this doesn't get triggers, only activations. Don't play this bad card please

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 6, 2015

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

a dozen swans posted:

SDT is a good card and you want it in your deck. What are you expecting to hit with Bind, fetch triggers? Storm? I don't think a fun-of is worth it and especially not over Top in the slow non-blue deck.
Storm is triggered, not activated. Presumably this was for fetch triggers, and it does seem bad.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

standard.deviant posted:

Storm is triggered, not activated. Presumably this was for fetch triggers, and it does seem bad.

Bind your Jace activation :v:

I'm pretty sure that if someone lands a Jace against pox the player has already lost, yes

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Trying to adjust the my Pod Nic Fit for the GP, but I'm not sure what to cut. I'm definitely looking to add 1 more land (a Sea if I can borrow one, otherwise another Delta), likely another Deathrite, and possibly a Mind Sculptor.
SB is also kinda unpolished. I'm thinking about Swan Song, another Abrupt Decay, Trygon Predator, Sower of Temptation, more Jace, Tormod's Crypt, another Engineered Explosives, another Envelop, Krosan Grip, etc. Obviously I can't have it all, so any tips are more than welcome. Miracles is probably the biggest danger, but there are a lot of matchups that could go either way that I'd like to consider (MUD, Loam, Stoneblade, etc.).
Deck: Pod Fit or whatever

//Main
2 Deathrite Shaman
1 Phantasmal Image
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Trinket Mage
1 Eternal Witness
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Minister of Pain
1 Murderous Redcap
1 Glen Elendra Archmage
1 Shriekmaw
1 Thragtusk
1 Grave Titan
4 Baleful Strix
4 Veteran Explorer
2 Swamp
3 Forest
1 Island
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Underground Sea
1 Bayou
2 Tropical Island
1 Thoughtseize
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Recurring Nightmare
2 Gitaxian Probe
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Engineered Explosives
3 Birthing Pod
3 Brainstorm
4 Cabal Therapy
1 Polluted Delta
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Verdant Catacombs

//Sideboard
4 Force of Will
2 Thoughtseize
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Pithing Needle
1 Envelop
1 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Pernicious Deed
1 Notion Thief
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Glen Elendra Archmage

Display deck statistics

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
any folks @ seatac who had victory stolen from them like me, im a brown dude chillin by nils hamm in a black shirt if you wanna jam games or get a drink

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Mt

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

alright nerds let's get a GP Pittsburgh roll-call. I'll be there. Look for the fat nerd playing a bad deck

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Ah, but Which One?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'll be there.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I'll be there long enough to mull 4 games in a row, lose them all to variance and tilt-sell out of this stupid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I'll be there long enough to mull 4 games in a row, lose them all to variance and tilt-sell out of this stupid game.

Played this guy on Friday, can confirm he did not keep a 7 card hand all evening

• Locked thread