Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
I should be buying a turbo baja in the next few days. Any advice as far as upgrades go? I plan on doing some autocross or rallycross in the future but it will be my daily driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

deratomicdog posted:

I should be buying a turbo baja in the next few days. Any advice as far as upgrades go? I plan on doing some autocross or rallycross in the future but it will be my daily driver.

Suspension is a little annoying to find parts for, the legacy stuff will fit but because of the spacers and thicker rear upper control arms, you might end up on bump stops if you want to lower it (plus I'd keep it stock height for rallycross). I liked what a set of thicker sway bars did to the handling, and I'd say 100% replace some of the bushings in the rear. The biggest difference is going to be the trailing arm bushing. Powerflex and whiteline make bushings that'll fit, Jamal is a distributer for whiteline and the part numbers are somewhere a few pages back in this thread.

In terms of performance, the Baja ECU is a little difficult. From what I've read your best bet is to swap in an STI ECU and just live without cruise (although I think there's a way to make cruise work too, never looked into since mine is pretty much 100% WRX for tuning purposes) Scoobytruck and the Baja subforum on NASIOC should have something about this. If you've got the MT, swapping out the bushings in the shift linkage helps but it wont fix it completely, just incremental improvements in feel until you give up at throwing money at it. Interior wise, ditch the two tone steering wheel and get a nice fully black leather one from a LGT, the white parts of the leather always discolour on them and look like rear end after a few years (at least I haven't seen one that seems to have survived well) I'll post more if anything else springs to mind.

ONTO COLORAMA!

Two new OEM contenders join the ring!

Lexus Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0

Saw this colour in person at a car show, and it blew me away. Looks stunning in person. Skilled artists Monkey with access to Photoshop rendition below:

And in the other corner, weighing in at $Texas$ most likely, Dodge Viper Stryker red

It just looks so alive, and from the process, I bet it has incredible depth in person. Kinda scared to get a quote for this though as the process seems really involved.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Really like that blue with the dark grey lower..

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Veeb0rg posted:

It reminds me of my uncle's chevy avalanche.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Veeb0rg posted:

gently caress yes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Dazzle camouflage! ! ! !

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

TWSS posted:

It reminds me of my uncle's chevy avalanche.

I can handily confirm that a blue avalanche with dark grey trim is really similar to that. Which is not a dig against it because I drive a blue avalanche. Voting blue.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I vote for the bleue but with rocker guard on the bottom half

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness
Blue and Silver looks good

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

:drat:

This is looking good.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The blue with grey looks so good I feel like Subaru made a massive mistake not painting them that way stock

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
If you like those primary colors so dark they're almost black (as I do), maybe take a look at this:

I'm not sure what exactly the paint is from, but it's goon owned (dad of SFH-whatshisname with the yellow LTD, I think) so maybe he'll chime in.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
The blue looks good, but the blue and grey looks cheap and plastic-like. Lexus blue and silver looks awesome! :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That blue is orgasmish.

But the lower would need to be either something really dark (darker blue, dark grey, black, etc), or pearl white.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That blue though.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

What about the blue on the lower trim and the pearl white Ural used on their MIR anniversary edition bike?

Edit: From Ural on the paint - "MIR comes in a brilliant orbital white with fine metal flake and finished with blue pearl clear. The result is a glowing white Ural with hues of blue that shift with the light. The perfect paint scheme for your intergalactic mission."

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 24, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Blue seems like the popular choice here, but I'm still leaning towards the red (partly because I love red, and partly because the engine bay is red and I don't want to pull everything to paint it, and the blue/red contrast *might* bug me too much, maybe...) All the paints I'm looking at are tri+ coats so cost wise it's not going to be pretty, even more reason to hem and haw over this before committing.

McTinkerson posted:

What about the blue on the lower trim and the pearl white Ural used on their MIR anniversary edition bike?

I will refer you to this image:

And I'm not able to imagine that combination looking that great. Pearl whites are astounding in person, but they're hard to photograph (at least I've never seen a photo that really captures the effect properly, so it's hard to simulate the look) and I think they work better on a sleeker body with nice curves. The Baja is kinda butch blah for an elegant colour like that IMO, I'm still set on bold and primary.

Anyway, lets recap on the top contenders:

For the body cladding:

Subaru Dark Grey Metallic 61K

Chevy Cyber Grey Metallic WA637R

For the body itself:

Dodge Stryker Red Pearl RK/LRK

Lexus Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 8X1

It's getting serious, paint codes are being involved.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bajaha posted:

For the body cladding:

For the body itself:

Dodge Stryker Red PearlPurple PHL/NHL

:colbert:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I vote for bright rear end yellow.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

KozmoNaut posted:

I vote for bright rear end yellow.

That bright arse yellow they paint the Lexus LF-A in... Which is suspect is the same paint code as the FJ cruiser...

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I've been thinking about going with Volvo's Autumn Gold (423) color if I ever need to respray (much like pearly whites, hard to photograph):

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Murk it out

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bajaha posted:

For the body itself:

Dodge Stryker Red Pearl RK/LRK

Lexus Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 8X1

Either of these will look fantastic, if you're spending $texas anyway you're going to strip it to the bare shell right?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/cto/5556261140.html

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My wife has fallen in love with the purple. and in her words, "If you're spending all this money anyway, why do you want to be boring and get a similar colour to what you have. Go all out." With the added mental gymnastics that it's also a nice compromise between choosing the between red and blue.

Cakefool posted:

if you're spending $texas anyway you're going to strip it to the bare shell right?

Well, rolling shell, still need an easy way of transporting it to and from paint shop.

Plan is to remove all the body cladding, the mirrors, interior door panels, bed plastics ,roof rack, lights, etc. pretty much anything removable. If the colour is red, then engine stays in. If the colour is not-red then I'll have to take the engine and accessories all out so that it can get at least a coat of paint that resembles the exterior. Planning on doing as much of it as I can to keep the costs down. Building a new hood is also on the list, as this one weighs a ton for no good reason.

And of course, the rust has to be stripped off and prepped for paint. The body has a few minor dings here and there (It's a 13 year old daily driver, it's got some memories in the body work), and as I'm not really a body guy so I'll have to let the painters smooth and prep the surface properly. Still deciding on where to take it. Budget is $3k - $5k ish.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I like your wife.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

KillHour posted:

I like your wife.

Her logic is pretty sound, but I still don't like the purple

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Bajaha posted:

My wife has fallen in love with the purple. and in her words, "If you're spending all this money anyway, why do you want to be boring and get a similar colour to what you have. Go all out." With the added mental gymnastics that it's also a nice compromise between choosing the between red and blue.

The blue is awesome but she is totally right. Go big or go home.

Comedy option, I am a BIG fan of the "GLORIOUS NIPPONESE ORANGE" that was on the special edition WRX from not to long ago. That with black bottom bits would be sweet.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

AcidRonin posted:

The blue is awesome but she is totally right. Go big or go home.

Comedy option, I am a BIG fan of the "GLORIOUS NIPPONESE ORANGE" that was on the special edition WRX from not to long ago. That with black bottom bits would be sweet.

Like a Japanese General Lee?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Shampoo posted:

Like a Japanese General Lee?

General Li.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If 'Go all out' is advice you're taking (and hey, it's good advice) then some sort of gently caress you lime green should be on the table. I'm thinking like Jeep Gecko green but with some metal in it.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 27, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lime green almost always ends up looking cheap and trashy.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

General Li would be pretty fun, but I'm set on deep metallic colors.

Agree with the lime green comment. Looks great on supercars, but on something like my Baja I think it'll look cheap and tacky.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Grabber Blue it is then.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Cakefool posted:

Lime green almost always ends up looking cheap and trashy.

Paging ultimateforce to this thread

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Paging ultimateforce to this thread

He wouldn't argue the point.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The frozen wasteland has thawed out and it's time to think of the warm summer, so that means winter rubber has to come off. Took my winters back off of my parents foz and gave them a wash. Just have to soak them in 303 before storage

Since I'm switching their car over...

:siren: FORESTER UPDATE :siren:

Winter MODE:

As I previously stated (or at least I think I did) I finally got a set of wheels for summer that was made in this decade! Behold what $140 Canadian Pesos can get you from the 'jij.

You keen eye readers may have noticed the playing cards surrounding the perimeter of the steel wheels. Well, silver is kinda boring, and these had some specs of rust here and there, and well... I had some paint laying around from my previous projects (plus some that has *expired* so no good for use on things I care too much about).

Since I had limited resources laying around, I went with a silver base coat and a splattering of gold on top for some sparkle and topped it off with expired 2K clear coat. Still looked and smelled fresh so what the heck, we'll give it a try. couple hours passed, did some stuff around town, grabbed a fatboy for lunch with the missus, and we're back at the races.

GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD

And there ya have it. Looks good enough in my eyes and drat bit better than rusty wheels so I'm happy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I put duplicolor bronze and effex clear on my Forester steelies and they turned out great. I wouldn't use effex on metallic paint again though. It gets washed out.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I put duplicolor bronze and effex clear on my Forester steelies and they turned out great. I wouldn't use effex on metallic paint again though. It gets washed out.

Had to look up effex as it didn't ring a bell. To get the same effect on a mettalic base you'd probably have to do more coats of it. I don't mind the look of the forester steelies at all, kinda wish more manufacturers did stylized steel wheels rather than boring + ugly hubcap (Although the Ford Fusion (or was it Taurus?) hubcaps had me fooled, thought for sure they were alloys)

Still have to do something with the alloys on the winter wheels, they've got lots of corrosion and would probably look much better painted. I've got a bunch of CT giftcards so I could go shopping and find something, should be able to get it done a nice calm and sunny afternoon before I store them for the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Did you ever settle on a color combo?

• Locked thread