Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

All of that was weird, but that's an unexpected twist at the end. It's like the monster behind the dumpster in Mulholland Drive.

Edit: gently caress, this being on a new page makes it feel like a spoiler.

Double edit This is what I was talking about

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Benicio Del Toro is older than I thought.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Goddrat, Fleisher Studios was amazing.

For some reason, this short in particular reminds me of Winsor McCay. Now I totally have a hankering for Little Nemo.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bonus Skeleton:

(I'm almost done digitizing all my short film DVDs to a hard drive for easy viewing and still capture)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 16, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Fargo TV show is pretty good yall

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know we were joking about Hunger Games 2 sweeping the MTV movie awards, but Vin Diesel's acceptance speech for best on-screen duo (him and Paul Walker) is legit heart warming and sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgZGw4rSWHY

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think one point we're missing from DNS' breakdown is ltken was in fact right about SubG being lame as hell for ditching the board over what was probably the easiest Mod challenge in the history of mod challenges.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Holy poo poo, the newest episode of Bob's Burgers is the greatest skewering of bronies I've ever seen.

It also came at an interesting time for me. Like Tina, I just found out yesterday that I own some books that are worth some decent coin, but I still can't bring myself to sell them because they have even more sentimental value. :smith:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

axleblaze posted:

I think one point we're missing from DNS' breakdown is ltken was in fact right about SubG being lame as hell for ditching the board over what was probably the easiest Mod challenge in the history of mod challenges.

I don't blame him, I'd leave as well after being singled out for something so trivial. It's not like it's hard to find people bragging about going to see lame bands and arguing about comic books anywhere else.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tars Tarkas posted:

I don't blame him, I'd leave as well after being singled out for something so trivial. It's not like it's hard to find people bragging about going to see lame bands and arguing about comic books anywhere else.

By the same token, quitting over something so trivial is a sign of being a big baby.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I dunno. I quit posting in Games and BSS several years ago because I realized I just wasn't fitting in. Maybe he thought that about CineD. I thought he fit in fine, but sometimes people think that when they shouldn't.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

So where I live we just had the worst mass murder in our city's history because at a party celebrating the end of the school year (which I was also busy celebrating at the time), 5 people were stabbed to death. No alcohol, no drugs, and at this point, seemingly no motive. What the gently caress?

And the killer was invited to the party and welcomed by everyone there. I can't make sense of it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

DetoxP posted:

So where I live we just had the worst mass murder in our city's history because at a party celebrating the end of the school year (which I was also busy celebrating at the time), 5 people were stabbed to death. No alcohol, no drugs, and at this point, seemingly no motive. What the gently caress?

And the killer was invited to the party and welcomed by everyone there. I can't make sense of it.

Just 5? America wins again :smug:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

As a chicagoan your city is a lightweight.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

We had five people killed at once a few blocks from my house in 2012.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Yeah, it's kind of good in a weird way that 5 makes a record. It's Calgary, so even though it's a city it feels like a small town, so this is kind of really shocking for everybody.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DetoxP posted:

Goddamn kids and their goddamn stab parties.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone else in this thread reacting well to getting called for their posting, and being met with the peanut gallery comments of "Pretentious" and "Baby", because yeah, that makes this thread a cool place to post about movies and not a refuge for cliquey shitposters or anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DetoxP posted:

Any mass killing, especially at a social event, is just a huge shock to the system and shakes up what you know about your little bubble. A bunch of people are going to post about being nearer to worse things and you shouldn't think that lessens whatever you are feeling right now.

That being said, about 4 years ago there was a triple homicide 3 blocks from where I was living with my then girlfriend, one of the victims was the nephew of a homeless dude she would give leftover pastries to when she closed at the coffee place she worked at. In the process of fleeing the cops, the culprits managed to crash their car into the sidewalk next to the local Children's Hospital, killing another four people accidentally.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I have had my bad posting pointed out many times and you motherfucdeks barely slowed me down.

Come back, SubG, :smith:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Literally The Worst posted:

Goddamn kids and their goddamn stab parties.

If they get arrested I know the perfect defense attorney for them.

wyoming posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone else in this thread reacting well to getting called for their posting, and being met with the peanut gallery comments of "Pretentious" and "Baby", because yeah, that makes this thread a cool place to post about movies and not a refuge for cliquey shitposters or anything.

No one's forcing you to stay.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Geekboy posted:

I have had my bad posting pointed out many times and you motherfucdeks barely slowed me down.

Come back, SubG, :smith:

I like how he is one of the few people who would debate SMG on his own terms. I also liked how we all started posting extraneous information after a movie title in support of him. Speaking of which, for anyone in the US of A, Mean Girls (dir. Mark Waters, writers Rosalind Wiseman (book), Tina Fey (screenplay)) is on Netflix streaming. Watch it, it's amazing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Who also seems to have been absent of late. I'm guessing a murder/suicide pact was involved.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I am on the fence of SubG's mod challenge. I think it was kind of lame, but at the same time, not my call to make.

but jesus christ, get over it everyone who isn't SubG. It's old and tired and boring, and the people who keep bringing it up are the worst.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

CPL593H posted:

Who also seems to have been absent of late. I'm guessing a murder/suicide pact was involved.

He's busy in the Cap 2 thread raking the film over the coals for not fully committing to the radical Marxist revolution a film needs to be good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hewlett posted:

He's busy in the Cap 2 thread raking the film over the coals for not fully committing to the radical Marxist revolution a film needs to be good.

Everyone in here needs to go outside more. Myself included.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Skwirl posted:

I like how he is one of the few people who would debate SMG on his own terms. I also liked how we all started posting extraneous information after a movie title in support of him. Speaking of which, for anyone in the US of A, Mean Girls (dir. Mark Waters, writers Rosalind Wiseman (book), Tina Fey (screenplay)) is on Netflix streaming. Watch it, it's amazing.
Oh, that explains why all the times people wrote "DP" they only named one man. :v:

CPL593H posted:

I need to hit my art harder. I just got done with my homework for the day but I'm sleepier than poo poo. :smith:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Hewlett posted:

God, he has high standards. I'm happy to see a mainstream film with any positive messages in it these days. Even if the message is something obvious like "drones are kind of bad and creepy" and "the surveillance state is hosed up, seems kind of fascist".

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

CPL593H posted:

I feel this way too. I'm a terrible procrastinator and CineD enables me. I had plans to play tennis with a friend today but then it rained non-stop all afternoon.

That said, I miss SubG's excellent posts about the history of Chinese film. Learned a lot and got a really good list of films from those. Come back, SubG!

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Hulu sent me an email being like "Hey, remember that time you gave us money? You should give us money again, here's a week free trial" I've got a week to watch as much Criterion stuff as possible. Of course a couple months ago I used someone's month free trial and I went hard for a couple days and then petered out.

Since A Man Escaped was being discussed on the last page I decided to watch that. It was pretty dope. Just going through the "You May Also Like" list I probably added more films to my queue than I'll have time to watch.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kevar posted:

Hulu sent me an email being like "Hey, remember that time you gave us money? You should give us money again, here's a week free trial" I've got a week to watch as much Criterion stuff as possible. Of course a couple months ago I used someone's month free trial and I went hard for a couple days and then petered out.

Since A Man Escaped was being discussed on the last page I decided to watch that. It was pretty dope. Just going through the "You May Also Like" list I probably added more films to my queue than I'll have time to watch.

There's a library in the next town over from mine that has all the Criterion Collection discs.

Hulu can suck it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

CPL593H posted:

There's a library in the next town over from mine that has all the Criterion Collection discs.

Hulu can suck it.

Criterion's Hulu Plus does have a good amount that's not available on DVD at all though.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

Hulu can suck it.

My library system's film selection is mostly garbage. They don't even have blurays!

Most importantly I need to put on pants and drive there if I want to go to the library. Hulu on my PS3 requires no effort at all.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

dreadnought posted:

I always get a hearty chuckle anytime I hear about "St. Louis-style BBQ," but I'll admit y'all got your pizza game on lock. My favorite place in the city is Leo's, which is a St. Louis-style pizza place that, honestly, is so much better than Imo's* it's not really comparable.

*Disclaimer: I have been to Imo's like 3 times in my life, and only one of those was actually in the 'Lou.

FishBulb posted:

St Louis style pizza is an abomination though.

St. Louis pizza fails the ultimate pizza test, the Cold Pizza The Morning After A Hangover Test, and therefore it's not good pizza. I say this as a certified resident of St. Louis County. I dunno how it became so popular, cause it's not good.

TrixRabbi posted:

I feel this way too. I'm a terrible procrastinator and CineD enables me. I had plans to play tennis with a friend today but then it rained non-stop all afternoon.

Oh god, CineD is my #1 source of procrastination. I can't do schoolwork when I can instantly read about people discussing anything but movies.

Speaking of movies, Amour hit me hard. It was so measured and slow, but that made the emotionally draining bits hit really hard. It's such a small movie, but it does a lot with its limited setting, and really delves into Georges' dilemma of his own interests against his wife's. I can't think of anything substantial to say about it, because it knocked me on my rear end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kevar posted:

Watch Harlan County, USA (Cinematography Kevin Keating, Hart Perry)

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Spatula City posted:

God, he has high standards. I'm happy to see a mainstream film with any positive messages in it these days. Even if the message is something obvious like "drones are kind of bad and creepy" and "the surveillance state is hosed up, seems kind of fascist".

So Robocop, Captain America 2, and Jack Ryan are the best movies of the year so far?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FishBulb posted:

Get it from Stroud's (KC crew knows what I'm talkin about )

I've still never been to Stroud's, I feel like a failure.

Is Go Chicken Go an acceptable substitute?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I will never understand the notion of eating cold pizza. There is a device that most people have that turns Cold Food That Was Once Warm back to Warm Food.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MisterBibs posted:

I will never understand the notion of eating cold pizza. There is a device that most people have that turns Cold Food That Was Once Warm back to Warm Food.

Because it's delicious. And the breakfast of champions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

You're an idiot. Here is the proper hierarchy of pizza (ignoring coasts and crusts, and assuming you are starting with a halfway decent pizza): fresh pizza > cold pizza > reheated pizza. there are some tricks you can do with cold pizza to make it better warm, but it's a lot of effort for not that much gain. Make your oven incredibly hot, wrap the pizza slice in tin foil and throw it in for about 4 minutes, but that involves waiting for your oven to heat up to at least 450 degrees, and most people eating left over pizza are either too lazy or too busy to deal with that kind of poo poo, that's why we order delivery in the first place.

If you were suggesting microwaving pizza, then I hope you burn in hell.

• Locked thread