Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I really didn't notice Zone of Enders had a bad translation, I think I might just be bad at spotting it if the voice acting is good.

Kind of gets me paranoid, like is MGS2's translation bad like Zone of the Enders? getting Venus In Cancer out of Venusian Crabs is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Probably not, since, if they're colonizing other planets, they probably threw in gravity stabilizers as well as oxygen systems.

I don't know anything about Gundam aside from robots and some characters so I may have entirely the wrong idea of what the series is about here.

They did not. It's a plot point in both of the animes that people born on mars are physically weaker than people born on earth due to the lesser amount of gravity.

edit: the ZoE animes i mean, not gundam

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Kind of gets me paranoid, like is MGS2's translation bad like Zone of the Enders?

Oh just you wait, it's incredible. My favorite thing about it is the English VAs are quite good and giving it their all but you can hear the English language buckling beneath the script. I think it's charming!

What's funny is I recall all of ADA's dialogue being just fine but it's the human characters that speak like aliens. But who knows, maybe slang/dialect on Mars in the year 2174 just evolved that way!

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 13, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

HGH posted:

I think the worst part of ZoE2 is that it took me 10 years to understand that the opening conversation is talking about baseball.
It took me two playthroughs to figure this out.

Except I thought it was football.

Next two playthroughs I figured out it was baseball though. Which was like, months later because I rented ZOE2 because it was perpetually sold out everywhere.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

RareAcumen posted:

Probably not, since, if they're colonizing other planets, they probably threw in gravity stabilizers as well as oxygen systems.

I don't know anything about Gundam aside from robots and some characters so I may have entirely the wrong idea of what the series is about here.

Gundam is trying really hard to be "realistic", so most of the action take place on space colonies where gravity is generated through rotation. Ships are almost always weightless.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

beep by grandpa posted:

Oh just you wait, it's incredible. My favorite thing about it is the English VAs are quite good and giving it their all but you can hear the English language buckling beneath the script. I think it's charming!

It doesn't quite get to Metal Wolf Chaos levels (Far from it) but it feels like a script translated by a non-native english speaker and given to native ones to line read with little to no feedback.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

What's funny is I recall all of ADA's dialogue being just fine but it's the human characters that speak like aliens. But who knows, maybe slang/dialect on Mars in the year 2174 just evolved that way!

This is 100% correct. This may be the first of Chip's LP's that I listen to the cut version of, just because of how great some of the dialogue in cut scenes is. Some of the line readings are on par with the PS2 Devil May Cry games in terms of memorability.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

It took me two playthroughs to figure this out.

Except I thought it was football.

Next two playthroughs I figured out it was baseball though. Which was like, months later because I rented ZOE2 because it was perpetually sold out everywhere.
I always thought it was some made up space ball but I'm not much of a sports guy, I do know I've never in my life heard someone say field-out or trashed-out, but yeah now I can see those being terribly translated baseball terms.

I used to use Henry4G as my wifi name back home...Now it's still a ZOE reference but even more subtle, it's from the anime :haw:

OP, you usually don't show off opening trailers but is it cool to post the 8 minute long ZOE2 trailer? It's the greatest thing ever but could be seen as light spoilers I guess.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Take a drink every time not-Shinji says "what?"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'd bet even money that Kojima himself edited the somewhat-spoilery 8-minute long trailer for ZOE2. He has always been good at that.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

TechnoSyndrome posted:

The credits said the translation was done by one Scott Dolph, notable for being the guy who got Jeremy Blaustein fired over his work translating MGS1 for "changing Kojima's script" and causing the literal translations of MGS2 and 3 that followed, so I doubt it was intentional.

The only thing worse than a snitch is an international bilingual snitch who is also a horrible pedant for "pure translations".

Fortune, I'm sorry, but your dad was a real rear end in a top hat. Also not a very good commandant for letting a 60-year old man in cowboy boots and spurs sneak up on him.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Speedball posted:

I'd bet even money that Kojima himself edited the somewhat-spoilery 8-minute long trailer for ZOE2. He has always been good at that.

I agree. My rear end is still chaffed learning that he didn't direct the game...he tweets about, talks about and references ZOE2 so much in his other games that I thought for sure he had the director role for it.

And goddamnit it's 8min trailer is basically the perfect trailer. I was never so excited about a game release in my entire life, I still know it like the back of my hand. MR1422 Dingo Egret, unlocked. 20 to touchdown... I hope Mr. Cheezum offers his blessing to post the original one (in this poster's opinion, the HD version has weaker gameplay clips tbh and includes a major major spoiler that's not present in the original trailer).

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Speaking of Translation errors. In the ADV translations for both anime, they call the Orbital Frames, "Orbital Flames," due to the L/R issue in Japan. Which is made even more confusing when the game was out with the Frame translation much earlier then either translated anime.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The original trailer did credit Kojima for editing it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zone of the Enders 2 is interesting, because the basic story is decent enough, the main characters are likable, and the VA work is way better than you might expect.

Meanwhile the actual localization is astoundingly terrible.

It lends the game a certain very weird charm.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Kind of gets me paranoid, like is MGS2's translation bad like Zone of the Enders? getting Venus In Cancer out of Venusian Crabs is terrible
Did you say 'Nerd'?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Zereth posted:

Did you say 'Nerd'?

They sound more similar in Japanese, but that's exactly what he says. Raiden is just a dork.

I just played through MGS2 right before I started ZoE2 as reported, and having finished it last night... Yeah its localization is on a different level. MGS2 can be stiff, but the parts that are intended to make sense do, and not in a way that betrays the underlying language too badly. This though? You'll find out soon enough.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So this is only slightly related to the game, but apparently, Konami had a patent on how cameras control in 3d action games set to expire in 10 days.

The red camera indicates moving behind a wall and making it transparent. That's what Konami had patented. The blue camera is what everyone else had to make due with.

I'd always wondered why I didn't see other games do the transparent wall trick just like this game did.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I can't find a source for this that isn't a Japanese hentai artist's twitter. If it's real, how'd God Hand get away with it? By not technically making the walls transparent?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

If it's real, how'd God Hand get away with it? By not technically making the walls transparent?

They 'glitched' themselves into better gameplay! That game's genius is revealed more every year.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Arbite posted:

They 'glitched' themselves into better gameplay! That game's genius is revealed more every year.

Not sure what you mean by that. The game's walls disappearing when they were obstructing the camera was definitely a design choice, and a very good one at that. Were people so used to the camera getting stuck on walls instead that they thought it was a glitch?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

Not sure what you mean by that. The game's walls disappearing when they were obstructing the camera was definitely a design choice, and a very good one at that. Were people so used to the camera getting stuck on walls instead that they thought it was a glitch?

I mean the effect looks like a lovely camera glitch (a cover) but was deliberate and great for the gameplay experience.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

HMS Boromir posted:

Were people so used to the camera getting stuck on walls instead that they thought it was a glitch?
The way the wall just abruptly disappears instead of something more graceful is somewhat jarring, and I guess to some people "it looks a bit janky" is more important than "it's an effective solution to an irritating problem".

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

I can't find a source for this that isn't a Japanese hentai artist's twitter. If it's real, how'd God Hand get away with it? By not technically making the walls transparent?
I saw people retweeting the picture along with this patent application page so I hope I didn't fall for some hoax.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The localization difference for MGS2 has to be more about Raiden's voice than anything else, for me. Having a super deep-voiced Raiden completely changes how I think about him in the long run.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the mgs2 translation is bad because

- the voice directing is all messed up (raiden has a whiny voice, ocelots voice is messed up, solidus isn't voiced by snake because david hayer can only do one voice, there a lot of really awkward takes, ect)

- the script is too accurate, which is a problem because japanese is a moon language where literally everything is the opposite of how it works in english making direct translations sound awkward as hell when you try to say them out loud in english. mgs1 played with the lines a lot more so it sounds more natural and since kojima wasn't world famous yet he couldn't force His Vision to remain Pure and Unaltered.

these same two things also mess up this game.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 14, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Colonel, we've managed to avoid drowning!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
While you can appreciate a good script, a bad script immortalizes a game and is just so much more fun. Tough choice.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

HGH posted:

While you can appreciate a good script, a bad script immortalizes a game and is just so much more fun. Tough choice.

To your point I can say that I hear fewer people quote the intros of well written games of say KOTOR, Mass Effect and FNV and hear much, much more of

https://youtu.be/lQ8gRp8whOc

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

darealkooky posted:

- the script is too accurate, which is a problem because japanese is a moon language where literally everything is the opposite of how it works in english making direct translations sound awkward as hell when you try to say them out loud in english. mgs1 played with the lines a lot more so it sounds more natural and since kojima wasn't world famous yet he couldn't force His Vision to remain Pure and Unaltered.

Didn't Kojima have the original translation team of MGS1 replaced because they changed the script to suit English speakers, accounting for MGS2's "awkward" dialogue?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

beep by grandpa posted:

To your point I can say that I hear fewer people quote the intros of well written games of say KOTOR, Mass Effect and FNV and hear much, much more of

And let's not forget about this classic gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfMC2aVhYuo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

That one's interesting as the exact opposite of ZoE II. ZoE II is solid VA work over a script that makes no loving sense. Symphony's dialog, if you just read it, is a bit melodramatic, but perfectly cromulent English. It's the voice recording that really lifts it over the top.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Raiden's voice is perfect for his character please stop slandering him.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

beep by grandpa posted:

Fun fact, this is also a Jeremy Blaustein translation, one of his earliest in-fact. And despite the Kojima drama Konami continued to use him as translator, VO director and motion capture director for Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4.

Also regarding the worse voice direction in later MGS games, MGS1 was actually co-directed by both Zimmerman and Blaustein, which is probably another reason why MGS1's voice acting feels so much more grounded than what immediately followed. Zimmerman mainly voice directed Hannah-Barbera cartoons prior to Metal Gear.

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

MGS1 also had all the actors in a scene record at the same time (the old radio show/Simpsons method). It really does make a huge difference when you can actually play off other actors, just look at MGS1 vs Twin Snakes

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Also regarding the worse voice direction in later MGS games, MGS1 was actually co-directed by both Zimmerman and Blaustein, which is probably another reason why MGS1's voice acting feels so much more grounded than what immediately followed. Zimmerman mainly voice directed Hannah-Barbera cartoons prior to Metal Gear.

You say that, but MGS1 is the only game in the series with a bunch of needlessly wacky accents.

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

Wanamingo posted:

You say that, but MGS1 is the only game in the series with a bunch of needlessly wacky accents.

Even with the wacky accents, MGS1 sounds WAY more natural than any other game in the series; absurdly moreso, really

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Cowboy Bebop also had the VA's together and apparently that was revolutionary or something.

Mostly because anime VAing has about as much budget as a lemonade stand compared to other VA works.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Legacy of Kain also did this, leading to great vociework and amazing outtakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgnLO7iJZaA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Wanamingo posted:

Wackey accents are much better then everyone sounding bored as hell

• Locked thread