Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

jivjov posted:

Well plus, its not like Nintendo has any sort of precedent in place for discounting a sequel in exchange for buying the previous iterations. I paid full price for Smash Bros and Mario Kart despite owning all the previous installments...

I just wanted a save transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dizz posted:

I just wanted a save transfer.

That would have been nice. Or if not a full save transfer, at least some goodies for having certain levels of completion on the Wii U one.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I'm afraid a save transfer would have been unlikely for Legends.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wait this comes out tomorrow? I thought it was Friday.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nintendo's website has it listed as Friday. I guess depending on time zones, you could end up with it sometime tomorrow though.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think it is going to unlock at midnight eastern so it's still technically friday, but you can play a few hours early if you preloaded it and live on the west coast or something

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

I'm afraid a save transfer would have been unlikely for Legends.

Is that from a programming standpoint? Because even though im not a programming dude in any way, it seems like it could have been done easily.

It could have been a 1:1 transfer for most things like unlocks, weapons, stages cleared, and adventure mode ranks. And if you wanted to be real technical due to different item drops and stuff, they could have ignored badges, Rupees, and just put in any levels possible with characters level 99 and up just being set back to 99.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The adventure maps and stuff are different and there are different gameplay mechanics. It would not work.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
So apparently you don't even need to buy legends to get the characters. When Legends releases, there will be the option to buy a season pass that gets the DLC in both games for $20. Then at some unannounced time this Summer, likely around the drop of the first DLC, there will be the option to buy a season pass for the new characters (and weapons) just for the Wii U Version. The Wii U season pass is only $10 . Medli is free, and you can buy Linkle, Toon Link, Tetra, the King, and Skull Kid for 13 dollars as DLC for the Wii U version.

The only things you need to buy Legends for are the maps, character switching, and fairy raising.

E:
Also, On the subject of "it's a different game so the maps can't be transferred over".

Now, I have not played the game or demo myself, but I can't imagine the gameplay is so different that it drastically affects the maps to the point that they could never be transferred. With few exceptions, level design is rather similar between most Warriors games.

I'm more willing to accept that the maps aren't transferrable because a.) they're designed with the 3ds' graphical capabilities in mind, so they'd look like poo poo on the Wii U or b.) what is probably the real reason: they need exclusive content to get people to give them more money.

Indigo Cephalopods fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 24, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I will play this game 200% more on a handheld than a console so im fine with getting Legends.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

I will play this game 200% more on a handheld than a console so im fine with getting Legends.

:yeah: That's exactly what I was thinking too.

I see the game is out now... Would I be a huge dummy if I bought the game for my old 3DS while waiting for my new one to arrive? There's still a few days until I get my New 3DS and I'm doing a system transfer anyway.. Right? :ohdear:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

what is probably the real reason: they need exclusive content to get people to give them more money.

Jokes on you Iwata, I'm on a hunger strike and I already won!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The money I am going to give Nintendo for the game and season pass cancels out your protest.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I see the game is out now... Would I be a huge dummy if I bought the game for my old 3DS while waiting for my new one to arrive? There's still a few days until I get my New 3DS and I'm doing a system transfer anyway.. Right? :ohdear:

RE:This

I can't even buy the game because Smash is taking up all the space on my memory card :negative: I just wanted the download code so I could play the new characters while I wait for my New 3DS..

e: completely unrelated but I finally figured out what the Magic Jar sound reminded me of, it has been bugging me since I started playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFCSXr6qnv4&t=116s
(1:56)

Why must I hear this every time, brain please stop :cripes:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 24, 2016

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I got my new Hyrule Warriors 3ds and tonight I'm going to stick my dinkle in linkle

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I guess the Wii U is on version 1.8.0 now, and reportedly the Max Rupee Glitch still works. If they leave it in when the Wii U starts being able to download the Legends characters, I might try to record them triggering the glitch.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Does the second season pass include the new characters for Hyrule Warriors Legends or are they only obtainable via the code?

If so, if someone is getting the 3ds version for whatever reason and doesn't want their code and is willing to part with it, it'd be cool if you could hit me up and we could work something out maybe

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

FirstAidKite posted:

Does the second season pass include the new characters for Hyrule Warriors Legends or are they only obtainable via the code?

If so, if someone is getting the 3ds version for whatever reason and doesn't want their code and is willing to part with it, it'd be cool if you could hit me up and we could work something out maybe

The season pass seems to only cover the DLC Characters and weapons. If you want the Legends Characters you either need to buy Legends, or the Legends Character Pack for the Wii U game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The season pass seems to only cover the DLC Characters and weapons. If you want the Legends Characters you either need to buy Legends, or the Legends Character Pack for the Wii U game

Oh there is going to be a character pack specifically for the legends characters? That's good to know! I thought they were either included in the second season pass or were just entirely exclusive

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Iirc the legends character pack is separate from the season pass, and comes out after the second dlc.

Might be mis remembering though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm just slightly upset that Medli is apparently going to be day one DLC and we haven't gotten a character trailer for her yet.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm just slightly upset that Medli is apparently going to be day one DLC and we haven't gotten a character trailer for her yet.

She's not, she's going to be coming later this spring. The day one DLC thing was a misinterpretation from her announcement. At least, that's my present understanding of the situation. With how weird Nintendo is, I wouldn't be shocked for someone to come in with proof that I'm wrong.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Why must I hear this every time, brain please stop :cripes:

Motherfucker.

On a side note, I'm curious if Legends will also have the Rupee glitch.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

So apparently you don't even need to buy legends to get the characters. When Legends releases, there will be the option to buy a season pass that gets the DLC in both games for $20. Then at some unannounced time this Summer, likely around the drop of the first DLC, there will be the option to buy a season pass for the new characters (and weapons) just for the Wii U Version. The Wii U season pass is only $10 . Medli is free, and you can buy Linkle, Toon Link, Tetra, the King, and Skull Kid for 13 dollars as DLC for the Wii U version.

The only things you need to buy Legends for are the maps, character switching, and fairy raising.

E:
Also, On the subject of "it's a different game so the maps can't be transferred over".

Now, I have not played the game or demo myself, but I can't imagine the gameplay is so different that it drastically affects the maps to the point that they could never be transferred. With few exceptions, level design is rather similar between most Warriors games.

I'm more willing to accept that the maps aren't transferrable because a.) they're designed with the 3ds' graphical capabilities in mind, so they'd look like poo poo on the Wii U or b.) what is probably the real reason: they need exclusive content to get people to give them more money.

There's been tweaks and stuff in general, and the new story content would have been especially troublesome. Meanwhile, the WW maps seem to be specifically designed to make use of the new Legends content.

On a side note: Trident!dorf is atrocious when it comes to Giant Bosses. C4 -> C4 -> C4 takes care of Argorok's WPG, but the rest seem only manageable if you use your Special Attack or have Hasty Attacks.

EDIT: I have found the code to King Dodongo's WPG with the Trident at last. Lead in R5 as WPG appears and do C6 immediately after -> C5 -> C4.

EDIT2: I'm 99.9% sure that Gohma and Manhandla needs a Special Attack or a Hasty Attacks skill on the weapon if you want to take their WPG down in one go because they get up way too fast otherwise. For comparison, Great Sword!dorf could take down King Dodongo, Gohma, and Manhandla in one shot, but could not take down Argorok without Special.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 24, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, the fairy stuff. Dress-up is exactly what this game needed, this went straight to GOTY for me :swoon:

I thought the Legend mode was supposed to be about Linkle but so far (first mission) it's the same, I guess that might happen later in the story. I'm playing it on my old 3DS because I just couldn't wait, and the enemies are incredibly sparse to the point where my biggest combos are around 15. Unless I'm missing something, getting A's in Adventure Mode seems like it will be next to impossible if you still need 1200 KOs and a time limit.

e: also the pacing seems a bit different from the Wii U since you're encouraged to break all pots and capture all keeps in order to get fairy items.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 24, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does the 3DS version have alternate paths/victory conditions? I'm wondering if defeating the Wizard in the first mission will give me anything in particular.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Just bought the season pass. It has some more detailed info on the release dates of the separate packs:

Master Wind Waker: May
Link's Awakening: July
Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks: September
A Link Between Worlds: November

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Oh my god, the fairy stuff. Dress-up is exactly what this game needed, this went straight to GOTY for me :swoon:

I thought the Legend mode was supposed to be about Linkle but so far (first mission) it's the same, I guess that might happen later in the story. I'm playing it on my old 3DS because I just couldn't wait, and the enemies are incredibly sparse to the point where my biggest combos are around 15. Unless I'm missing something, getting A's in Adventure Mode seems like it will be next to impossible if you still need 1200 KOs and a time limit.

e: also the pacing seems a bit different from the Wii U since you're encouraged to break all pots and capture all keeps in order to get fairy items.

linkle's first mission opens up after the third story mission. haven't reached linkle's second mission yet

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
While I'm not a fan of the ditsy blonde stereotype/cliché, Linkle is pretty endearing. I think it's her hilarious rendition of the fanfare that won me over :3:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
How does Linkle's bomb arrow mechanic work, exactly? I'm holding down the strong attack button after a combo but nothing's really happening.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just FYI, I'm buying the game for my 3ds and I don't care about my wiiu code. I'll sell it at a generous discount for the first person who wants it.

Disclaimer, I won't be able to send the code until next Thursday.

Digital version should still have the code right?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Naerasa posted:

She's not, she's going to be coming later this spring. The day one DLC thing was a misinterpretation from her announcement. At least, that's my present understanding of the situation. With how weird Nintendo is, I wouldn't be shocked for someone to come in with proof that I'm wrong.

After looking the official site definitely says "late spring" for Medli but practically every game news site is saying she'll be available on May 25. I'm inclined to believe the official site, but I guess we'll see tomorrow.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Twelve by Pies posted:

After looking the official site definitely says "late spring" for Medli but practically every game news site is saying she'll be available on May 25. I'm inclined to believe the official site, but I guess we'll see tomorrow.

May 25th is mid/late spring. Makes sense.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Dunban posted:

How does Linkle's bomb arrow mechanic work, exactly? I'm holding down the strong attack button after a combo but nothing's really happening.

Nevermind, I figured it out. You can only use bomb arrows once you unlock her second combo.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
If anyone happens to have a spare EU Legends code I could use it, don't really feel like waiting another 3 months to be able to buy the DLC.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Welp, now I've got another question. Where the hell is the drat fairy in the mission one square north of where you start out? I assume I need to find her to get started with My Fairy, but I've been all over the map, captured all keeps, defeated all enemies, finished the mission with an A rank..but still nothing.

Edit: Turns out she was in a pot.

Dunban fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 24, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does the new game use the double item drops from one of the later WiiU DLCs?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Dunban posted:

Just bought the season pass. It has some more detailed info on the release dates of the separate packs:

Master Wind Waker: May
:siren:Link's Awakening: July:siren:
Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks: September
A Link Between Worlds: November

Can I just draw attention to this for a sec, because

WHAT

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cicadas! posted:

Can I just draw attention to this for a sec, because

WHAT

Why are you surprised by this? this info's been out for a while

Your Computer posted:

While I'm not a fan of the ditsy blonde stereotype/cliché, Linkle is pretty endearing. I think it's her hilarious rendition of the fanfare that won me over :3:

On the wiiu version, the monster gate really irritated for me, but it clicked when Lana would start singing the song, and now I fucken want it as my alert tone for my phone, can't find it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Stupid digital preorder. "The scheduled release date for the purchased item has passed. Launch this software while connected to the Internet to check distribution information."

Doing what it tells me to do nets me a "Please wait until distribution has begun."

:confused:

• Locked thread