Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

F. Lobot posted:

Nah he made plenty of "This monster is raping me!" jokes.

The one thing I'd like to say though is - those weren't jokes. There's no real target or even punchline, it was just non-sequitir. It works mostly the same with any naughty word, he just picked a really, really hosed up one to throw out for no reason!

I don't know if he stopped or not; honestly, I made a funny video about it two years ago, so I kinda lost interest in the time since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I like GameXplain because you can really feel that guy's neckbeard and fedora from his voice alone. It's the only ASMR that's ever worked on me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Monicro posted:

the game theorists is possibly the worst show in the history of media

Watch Mulaney

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm not sure if "misleading thumbnails" era Game Theory is better or worse than "most people are just watching for the FNAF videos" era Game Theory.

Either way i'm not the biggest fan of Mat Pat's voice, dude sounds way to excited all the time.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also, like, did I have a completely different upbringing? Did you guys never yell the word "rape" on the playground when you were 8 years old because you thought it was funny, even though PewDiePie didn't exist? Children are hella impressionable and also terrible.

I hope none if you ever have to figure out what value a certain resistor color is.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
No guys you see, this thing is okay because it happens

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Suspicious Dish posted:

Did you guys never yell the word "rape" on the playground when you were 8 years old because you thought it was funny

Pretty sure when I was 8 years old I didn't even know the word existed, let alone used it as a "joke".

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

TaurusOxford posted:

Pretty sure when I was 8 years old I didn't even know the word existed, let alone used it as a "joke".

Yeah, same, honestly.

Maybe it's a generational thing or something, I dunno.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Even if we take the "kids are dumb and say dumb and often terrible things" as an universal constant, there's a difference between a 12-year-old yelling those terrible things and a 20-something doing the same thing. It's even worse if he's doing it on purpose to please 12-year-old kids.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Maybe a better way of putting it.

Look, it's a creepy loving thing for him to do, no bones about it. It doesn't make you a bad person to support him after this mistake or whatever, and it doesn't make you wrong to think he's still a good guy.

I do think it's pretty indefensible in and of itself and people come up with really creative - and sometimes dishonest - ways to exonerate him. I do get annoyed because a lot of people tend to put words in my mouth to do it (apparently I wrote a document saying Let's Players are not allowed to tell rape jokes, which is news to me.) If you like him, I don't see what's wrong with "Yeah that part's hosed up but he apologized and stopped doing it/is still a good person/whatever." Not everyone has to be flawless.

I've heard he actually did just start doing it again after the controversy died down, but I've not ever seen said video so it's not a hill I'd die on.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

slowbeef posted:

(apparently I wrote a document saying Let's Players are not allowed to tell rape jokes, which is news to me.)

Anyone got a copy of Slowbeef's Ten Commandments?

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

bobjr posted:

Any "Game Theory" type video is worse than Pewdiepie, because while people tend to grow out of him those stupid video game theories are just stupid.

The worst part about "Game Theory" is that it makes it almost impossible to find youtube videos actually about game theory.

Seriously, I had to go to the bottom of the 8th page of a search for 'game theory' on youtube to find anything remotely relevant. It took until the tenth page for me to find a lecture series.

Sillyman fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 8, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Since we just mentioned the subject:
"Markiplier is my best friend and I don't even know him"
Yeah I don't get most of these teens' mindset at all. Is there really that much of a sense of community?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

If you are interested in game theory then I must recommend Extra Credits.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Errant Signal is a really, really good game analysis show on youtube.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I cannot tell Tobuscus and Markiplier apart. Which one monetized a video of him crying over Robin Williams death?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

That was Tobuscus.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

watho posted:

That was Tobuscus.

You should watch the follow ups, "Do Good Things" where he says it's okay because he'll do good things with the money.

Then watch the other follow up "I Love You (re: RIP Robin Williams) where he says people who criticized him suck and maybe Williams wouldn't have committed suicide if more people had been like Tobuscus and said they'd loved him.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

slowbeef posted:

Then watch the other follow up "I Love You (re: RIP Robin Williams) where he says people who criticized him suck and maybe Williams wouldn't have committed suicide if more people had been like Tobuscus and said they'd loved him.

:stonk:

Jumping jesus, how ruined does your brain and sense of decency have to be.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah that's the dude. That dude sucks and is okay to hate for his really dumb follow up videos flip-flopping over the issue instead of going "Sorry guys I forgot it was set when I posted it" and taking it off.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I don't know why the Game Theory/Film Theory people think "Theory" means "fanwank about something's internal universe" instead of what it actually means.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sillyman posted:

The worst part about "Game Theory" is that it makes it almost impossible to find youtube videos actually about game theory.

My favorite Game Theory video I haven't watched is "Earthbound: The Dark Side of Mother" and the thumbnail proudly declares "THIS GAME IS DARK!" as if that's a shocking revelation and not one of the main goddamn reasons the series is so beloved.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't know why the Game Theory/Film Theory people think "Theory" means "fanwank about something's internal universe" instead of what it actually means.

Makes it sound more "legitimate" I guess, as if they needed that when every video of theirs seems to be FNAF rehashes now.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It doesn't help when the FNAF creator says things along the line of "What's this, you've not even scratched the surface of the story! Better not release this content I had planned."

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Opened a Game Theory video and saw a Goomba with a katana, goatee and glasses taking about monster in Persona , Mitama.
This is really, really neckbeardy :psyduck:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Game Theory guy has one of the worst cases of Affected Nerd Public Speaking Voice ever.

Yardbomb posted:

Makes it sound more "legitimate" I guess, as if they needed that when every video of theirs seems to be FNAF rehashes now.

That and people get really angry when anyone tries to examine video games in a manner similar to any other form of art.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Opened a Game Theory video and saw a Goomba with a katana, goatee and glasses taking about monster in Persona , Mitama.
This is really, really neckbeardy :psyduck:

That's Gaijin Goombah, and he has a video wondering if Tifa's tits are too big for the FF7 remake even though we have seen almost nothing of it. So that's the kind of guy HE is.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh my god some of these video titles:
- Why Star Fox has NO LEGS, The REAL Reason!
- Toad's DEADLY Secret
- Snake is a STONER
- Fox McCloud is a MYTH!
- Game Theory: Batman + Superman + COW = ???
- Decoding Shantae's Belly Dance

Seriously this thing is weird

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 8, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
good grief

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I really can't get over the stupid way people title their videos. Mostly the full caps to super stress how totally REAL this part is or [FUNNY] in the name. Hey random crummy youtuber, I'll decide if you being totally original and mugging for the camera is funny or not. :colbert:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I watched an analysis of that ME!ME!ME video made by him, it was pretty cool and informative and made me understand a bunch of things regarding some parts of Japanese culture.
Never watched any of his gaming videos though, so I don't know if they hold up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Seriously this thing is weird

Would you believe it gets worse? This is his girlfriend or I think his wife now. (Fanart, but I'm not trawling deeper into a GIS)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Goombah titties.

That sure is a thing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:cripes:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Golden Goat posted:

- Decoding Shantae's Belly Dance

:frogon:

Did Extra Credits ever get past high-school English class level studies of things or stop using that loving pitch filter at all?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

So I guess I am the only one that isn't really weirded out by their avatars, huh.
Frankly they sound like a great idea to still have a "face" for your audience without necessarily showing off your real one. It also showcases your interest as an added bonus.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Did Extra Credits ever get past high-school English class level studies of things or stop using that loving pitch filter at all?

I don't know what they teach you in English class where you are from but I learned a fair bit from watching their videos.
The filter is still there, however.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

My favorite Game Theory video I haven't watched is "Earthbound: The Dark Side of Mother" and the thumbnail proudly declares "THIS GAME IS DARK!" as if that's a shocking revelation and not one of the main goddamn reasons the series is so beloved.
That's the only one I've watched, and aside from the annoying voice, it's actually not that bad. It goes into some deeper references and doesn't concentrate on Giygas. Not the most informative video, but it's not "Here's 6 pages of proof that fetus theory is true". I guess somewhere along the way dude just decided to do lovely clickbait videos about nothing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's him finding out where Shantae's game is specifically set by going way, way to far into belly dancing styles.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nope still sounds weird.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't know what they teach you in English class where you are from but I learned a fair bit from watching their videos.
The filter is still there, however.

I guess film study would have been a better choice of words, it's kind of rolled into English here.

That filter is intolerable though, I just can't deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I stopped watching them like two years ago when they had that video about the electromagnetic spectrum and got practically everything about it wrong. Like, they didn't seem to understand the basic concepts of radio waves, interference, power laws and such.

• Locked thread