Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The gladiators I have been paired up with as a warrior for those story instances health all spiked and died far faster than me : / maybe they were just bad and not using their damage cool downs? I definitely see the value in a warrior tank that knows how to use Inner Beast, Thrill of battle as well as which skills to use that will make Inner Beast heal you for a gently caress ton. Lets the healers get the raid topped off when I can just heal myself for the next 10 seconds or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

BadLlama posted:

The gladiators I have been paired up with as a warrior for those story instances health all spiked and died far faster than me : / maybe they were just bad and not using their damage cool downs? I definitely see the value in a warrior tank that knows how to use Inner Beast, Thrill of battle as well as which skills to use that will make Inner Beast heal you for a gently caress ton. Lets the healers get the raid topped off when I can just heal myself for the next 10 seconds or whatever.

Or they have awful gear or something. It's really obvious the difference between WAR and PLD tanks. Paladins you can pretty well predict where there health will be moment to moment, and you can pre-cook heals to get them ready for hits. Warriors though, they just spike up and down up and down. It's really hard to properly prepare for big damage phases with warriors, and I often panic when I see the huge drops and use unnecessary cooldowns because I think they're about to take some tiny damage from a dot or something and keel over dead.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!

ActionZero posted:

So my subscription time from legacy is up and both of my debit cards through an error when I try to pay. Sent a message to SE support last night and just got an email back asking for information I included in the ticket, replied to email with the details they asked for but got nothing yet (I sent this email 9 hours ago) and European support is closed for the day now.

I cannot play. This loving sucks.

Choose the Crysta option in the subscription payment option, use UltimatePay and you should be good to go. One month = 1299 crysta. 1 crysta = 1 cent.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Zaphod42 posted:

Other people in the thread are having the exact same issue. It sucks but they're probably working on it. You can be patient or if you want to play now you can try using paypal as described earlier in the thread.

Thanks for the tip! Had to buy more than I needed so I'll probably be stuck using crysta until the increments I can buy and use sync up closely enough for me to not feel annoyed at wasted money (seems I can get it down to like 15 crysta within the year cause it's 699 per 30 days with legacy in EU) but I have 30 days playtime now.

edit: vvv I didn't even notice that! I'll do that next time to make it up to exactly enough for another 30 days then never look back.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 17, 2013

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

And my eyes bulging means that I'm going to be chattering for a while!

ActionZero posted:

Thanks for the tip! Had to buy more than I needed

Is this option broken or something? :confused: I mean, considering their account system, I wouldn't be surprised if it was, but.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Aladar posted:

Is this option broken or something? :confused: I mean, considering their account system, I wouldn't be surprised if it was, but.

Worked perfectly for me. I bought Crysta, plugged in the exact amount needed, done. Got my 3 month subscription rewards instantly on login.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Why am I nor surprised I picked the tank class that is least desired. Sadly, unlike WoW, I can't just DPS instead without leveling another class.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I don't know how often this has been said but unless you're doing bleeding edge progression while undergeared (i.e. Coil Turn 5 which is tuned for full ilvl 90 gear) WAR work just fine.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Khisanth Magus posted:

Why am I nor surprised I picked the tank class that is least desired. Sadly, unlike WoW, I can't just DPS instead without leveling another class.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. With the amount of complaints (including on the japanese forums) I'm sure there will be changes. They did a good job of trying to address the tank disparity during the beta, they obviously just fell a bit short and need to tweak it a bit more.

KaneTW posted:

I don't know how often this has been said but unless you're doing bleeding edge progression while undergeared (i.e. Coil Turn 5 which is tuned for full ilvl 90 gear) WAR work just fine.

Just because it's possible doesn't mean it doesn't make it a lot more difficult than it should.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 17, 2013

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Khisanth Magus posted:

1) While Warrior is currently (somewhat) worse than Paladin for Tanking, it's not the end of the world. If people don't invite you to Tank because you are a Warrior, you probably don't want to be playing with them anyways.

2) The keyword is being that "currently" they are worse... meaning that there are good chances that due to the obvious flaws in the Warrior class, they'll receive buffs accordingly in upcoming patches.

3) They will be adding more Job Souls for all the current jobs to open up more roles for each class (like how ACN functions right now).

Marauder will obviously get something along the lines of Berserker as a DPS role :black101: Please look forward to it!

Please play what you enjoy and try not to cater to what min-maxing elitists claim.

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 17, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

Just because it's possible doesn't mean it doesn't make it a lot more difficult than it should.

But it doesn't! We got to Turn 4 with a PLD and WAR really easily. There hasn't even been a situation where having a PLD instead of WAR would have saved us.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

KaneTW posted:

But it doesn't! We got to Turn 4 with a PLD and WAR really easily.
Well that's it then, there's clearly no problem.

quote:

There hasn't even been a situation where having a PLD instead of WAR would have saved us.

Yeah I'm sure! Balance is perfect.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Please play what you enjoy and try not to cater to what min-maxing elitists claim.

So much this. A large chunk of the issue with Warriors has nothing to do with the class and everything with social perception plus the desire of the masses to take the easiest road through content.

You can't ever stop that trend, it will always be an issue, and some class will always get the short end of the stick in that respect. There's a fair number of Paladins who aren't happy with being 'stun bitchbot' for a few high level fights, which is, again, a social issue as much as a class one (there are plenty of other ways to handle those specific fights).

And we're talking about issues with a tiny few fights in the game in comparison to the entire span of, what, 18 dungeons, 2 boss fights and 6 primal fights? Somewhere in that neighborhood.

I'd say they hit pretty close to the mark as is, and they'll get tweaked eventually.

Right now they're dealing with completely full servers and will be for some time until the first month freetime subs fall off. We only just hit the first gap (1.0 players free time expired today).

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

KaneTW posted:

But it doesn't! We got to Turn 4 with a PLD and WAR really easily. There hasn't even been a situation where having a PLD instead of WAR would have saved us.

How about if you had 2 WARs? Now 2 PLDs?

Rotanee
Feb 15, 2007
As someone who likes to play the market a bit, gather and generate money that way, the number of bots is downright sad. The days of decent economies are probably gone.

Rascyc posted:

I level about 50% faster doing tradeleves than straight grinding as well. The biggie is that tradeleve nodes get something like 6 strikes as opposed to the normal 4, and the final 2 strikes can chain 50% bonuses. The downside is you can't strike HQ materials so you lose the potential 200% bonus experience at ~15%-25% odds on each strike. In my mind this is pretty much a wash, but it does mean you shouldn't lose experience on hitting tradeleve nodes over normal nodes due to lack of HQ.

The actual tradeleve experience is pretty decent though, especially if you do get the 25% bonus one, and this is really what puts you ahead on the time to level.

It's still a pretty big slog though, and you do have to burn multiple tradeleves if you're not going off rest experience. I did 32->33 with leves and no rest experience and it still took ~6 leves.

Some of the tradeskill leves are too good to pass up. The level 30 Blacksmith - The Naked Blade - from Limsa where you deliver to Costa del Sol yields 68k exp on HQ hand in. I did 31-35 with about 10 or 11 HQ hand-ins. It rewards about 1k gil each hand in.

The gathering leves give you more exp than straight gathering, but you end up doing more farming with gathering skills for tradeskill grinding anyway if you don't use tradeskill leves.

Save up Leves for tradeskills starting at about level 30 and you will really appreciate the time savings.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can re-level classes very quickly anyway.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Heres a question,

What happens if you try to queue with a group of only 3 healers/tanks or more than 4 dps? Does it throw an error or something?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Khisanth Magus posted:

You're also one of two total tank classes.

Comeon guy use your brain. They're not going to leave 50% of tanks unplayable. Goons are being goons, but WAR isn't that bad, and even if it is, THIS IS AN MMO. They can do server-side patches constantly for balance poo poo.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

1) While Warrior is currently (somewhat) worse than Paladin for Tanking, it's not the end of the world. If people don't invite you to Tank because you are a Warrior, you probably don't want to be playing with them anyways.

2) The keyword is being that "currently" they are worse... meaning that there are good chances that due to the obvious flaws in the Warrior class, they'll receive buffs accordingly in upcoming patches.

3) They will be adding more Job Souls for all the current jobs to open up more roles for each class (like how ACN functions right now).

Marauder will obviously get something along the lines of Berserker as a DPS role :black101: Please look forward to it!

The DPS job crystal for MRD should be SAM! :colbert: It makes total sense. Samurai was a DPS class in XI, and yet they're heavily armored melee fighters built on combos. Katana fighting styles are closer to axe fighting than normal sword fighting styles, so it makes sense. You just have to add katanas and make it so the job crystal lets you use them, or just completely drop the stupid "one weapon type per class" nonsense and have more fun.

Gimme some scythes and 2-h swords as WAR, PLZ! :black101:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 17, 2013

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

THE PWNER posted:

Well that's it then, there's clearly no problem.

Yeah I'm sure! Balance is perfect.

If a warrior can main tank current raid content, then balance is ok. Yeah, it could be better and they are working on it, but it isn't like warriors are so bad you can't use them for content, which still happens sometimes in these games. This isn't to say that warriors don't need buffs, but a lot of the warrior talk in this thread tries to paint the picture that warriors are a broken and crippled class, which is not the case.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Acelerion posted:

Heres a question,

What happens if you try to queue with a group of only 3 healers/tanks or more than 4 dps? Does it throw an error or something?

No, as long as the group is full, it'll go through fine. This is the normal way of doing hard primals (minus ifrit) and speed running castrum, with only one tank.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o
I'd like to stab the developer at Squeenix who had the idea that a mandatory leveling dungeon boss (Garuda) should be one that the tank could miss with attacks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

this troper posted:

I'd like to stab the developer at Squeenix who had the idea that a mandatory leveling dungeon boss (Garuda) should be one that the tank could miss with attacks.

Whats the big deal? I don't see how that's inherently wrong. It could be an unbalanced fight overall, I haven't run it yet, (although it doesn't sound like people are having that much trouble with it), but that alone is no reason to stab somebody, and that alone isn't even necessarily bad design.

The group just has to be that much more aware/careful about aggro.

Again, I haven't run it though, so feel free to let me know what the situation is.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The DPS job crystal for MRD should be SAM! :colbert: It makes total sense. Samurai was a DPS class in XI, and yet they're heavily armored melee fighters built on combos. Katana fighting styles are closer to axe fighting than normal sword fighting styles, so it makes sense. You just have to add katanas and make it so the job crystal lets you use them, or just completely drop the stupid "one weapon type per class" nonsense and have more fun.

Gimme some scythes and 2-h swords as WAR, PLZ! :black101:

Give me a DRK for my MRD and I'll be the happiest man alive.

Give me SAM and I'll be happy, but just super pissed that I didn't name my Mithra "Pizza Cat"

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Katana fighting styles are closer to axe fighting than normal sword fighting styles, so it makes sense.

This was so gooney I chuckled at work.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I think we armchair speculated for several pages that DRK is more likely to come from GLD because there's pretty much no shield-using jobs left in the lore and the only excuse is that Cecil used a shield.

Percity
Oct 24, 2006

this troper posted:

Do you want them to play the story for you or something?

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

And my eyes bulging means that I'm going to be chattering for a while!

this troper posted:

You can miss any enemy with attacks if you're unlucky/have low accuracy :confused:

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Manslaughter posted:

I think we armchair speculated for several pages that DRK is more likely to come from GLD because there's pretty much no shield-using jobs left in the lore and the only excuse is that Cecil used a shield.

Red Mages use shields, at least they did in XI. Beastmasters, too. And Thieves could, but that's highly unlikely.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
Waddup, my man.

I love the galkas in 14. (sorry freakazoid.)

Damone
May 3, 2009

ActionZero posted:

So my subscription time from legacy is up and both of my debit cards through an error when I try to pay. Sent a message to SE support last night and just got an email back asking for information I included in the ticket, replied to email with the details they asked for but got nothing yet (I sent this email 9 hours ago) and European support is closed for the day now.

I cannot play. This loving sucks.

This goes for anyone with this issue, but do you use Firefox and something like Noscript? Disable it and try again. Noscript seems to block global collect and there's no real easy way to make an exception for it as far as I can tell.

Had the same problem, with the error code 606 specifically and after I turned it off it worked just fine.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Warriors own and aren't as broken as the doom and gloom implies. Have fun and hit things with an axe!

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I never even saw all the stuff about Warriors. What was it? They seem totally fine... I'm level 50 doing AK runs and hard primals and I haven't had a problem yet.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
Common fallacies about boss fights:
  • “He resisted my stun? Wtf this buggy game, how can I beat Ifrit if I can’t stun him.”

Every boss fight that requires stuns will never make you stun so often that he’ll start resisting. On fights like Ifrit, only stun the important abilities (do not stun plumes. only stun eruptions.). Something else that happens really frequently is certain classes have abilities with mini-stuns. These abilities trigger the stun diminishing returns. The most common offender of this is MNK’s Shoulder Tackle. Kindly ask your MNKs not to use this ability on fights like Ifrit and Chimera. Another offender is multiple stuns being thrown at the same time, all of which will act as separate new stuns in triggering diminishing returns.

• ”This lag is BS, it’s impossible to avoid these bombs and earthquakes and cheeseburgers being thrown at me.”

XIV actually has a very good built-in grace timer for people with high latency. There are oceanic guilds on the US servers with Titan HM on farm. This is more often than not user error (unless you’re living on a farm with a 56kbps modem, and that’s not an exaggeration I have someone like that in my FC). What a lot of people somehow still don’t know by the time they hit 50 is that enemy AoEs acquire targets as soon as the red indicator disappears. The attack animation is completely separate from acquisition of targets; you can dodge an animation’s attack, but still get hit, and vice versa, you can run out of the AoE indicator in time, then run into the attack animation and still be fine. Almost everyone that’s been explained this suddenly no longer lags and can dodge AoEs. Surprising.

:eng101:

Edit: ^^WAR tanks start being goofy once you hit Titan HM and if you're unlucky Titan can instantly kill a WAR tank without a chance to react. IIRC full Darklight gets you past that threshold (but still damned close), but a PLD can do it in mostly i60 gear from AK and be fine.

Zagposting fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 17, 2013

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

I never even saw all the stuff about Warriors. What was it? They seem totally fine... I'm level 50 doing AK runs and hard primals and I haven't had a problem yet.

Pubbies believe no shield = not a tank. Because WoW.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

boho posted:

That hasn't been true since Wrath of the Lich King introduced Death Knights though.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

boho posted:

This is reason enough for a Ninja blink tank to be added, destroy the pubbie psyche.

Also, Corsair, because I want guns and swashbukler outfits to go with my awesome random buffs... and a Dancer healer class, because gently caress you dungeon finder queue more healers and tanks for everyone.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Riftling posted:

[*]”This lag is BS, it’s impossible to avoid these bombs and earthquakes and cheeseburgers being thrown at me.”

It's when the cast runs down, not when the red zone disappears, which is only a minor difference in how hilariously janky and busted the entire thing is in terms of how it looks and feels.

Bad Breath must be affected by an invisible wind that always blows downwind of me and Titan must've cribbed Reverse Polarity when I wasn't looking.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Vanderdeath posted:

That hasn't been true since Wrath of the Lich King introduced Death Knights though.

Right, but it took a long time and lots of tweaks for Death Knight tanks to be taken seriously.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Chucat posted:

It's when the cast runs down, not when the red zone disappears, which is only a minor difference in how hilariously janky and busted the entire thing is in terms of how it looks and feels.

Bad Breath must be affected by an invisible wind that always blows downwind of me and Titan must've cribbed Reverse Polarity when I wasn't looking.

Huh, the two have always been in sync for me. Good to note, though, thanks.

Random tip for tanks: Turn legacy movement on in your character options. Yes, it's annoying to get used to, but it's incredibly useful. Moving backwards will make you turn and full run in that direction instead of back stepping at a slow pace. With this, you can position yourself slightly inside of bosses, then just run through them to dodge an AoE and run back before the animation is over. This is incredibly helpful on Hydra where getting hit by one AoE can spell doom for your group.

On the WAR note, too, that's another disparity. PLDs can get hit by Hydra's healing debuff and pop a cooldown to help mitigate it. WAR gets hit by it and really doesn't have anything except for cross-classed Convalescence to deal with it, and that won't make up for how hard Triumvate is hitting you. Basically you need to play that fight flawlessly as a WAR whereas PLD can mess up a couple of times and still be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Anyone know if there's an option to keybind switching between keyboard mode and controller mode? I got the Logitech F310 and it's a lot of fun, just minorly annoying to have to dig into the menu every time I want to switch back and forth.

• Locked thread