Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If anyone was going to be hired to manage a baseball team with no experience, it should have been the late James Gammon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

uggy posted:

The fact that so many managers suck at lineup construction astounds me.

edit: i know it's not that big of a deal over a full season or whatever that article said but it still seems like something super easy to optimize and this is a multi billion dollar business. it's just mind boggling

Perhaps they actually are brilliant at it, based on statistics that professional team keep that never see the light of the internet. I find it very hard to second-guess guys who've been doing something professionally for decades. I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt and not go all Dunning-Krueger when I know I have less information than they do.

They may actually be idiots, but I have trouble working up the arrogance to declare that I know better.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

New Concept Hole posted:

Managers are literally incapable of having someone go on BBref/FG/any baseball site, go to their team page, and organize their lineup by OBP/check individual splits/etc. And that's just the tools that are publicly available.

They all obsess over the ridiculous "roles" of the lineup positions. The leadoff hitter has to steal bases! Meanwhile, they only lead off the first inning then it's basically random who leads off every other inning. But putting Revere 1st and Byrd 5th means you're giving Ben Revere like 60 more plate appearances than Byrd over the course of a season. There's no way that can be optimal.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Deteriorata posted:

Perhaps they actually are brilliant at it, based on statistics that professional team keep that never see the light of the internet. I find it very hard to second-guess guys who've been doing something professionally for decades. I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt and not go all Dunning-Krueger when I know I have less information than they do.

They may actually be idiots, but I have trouble working up the arrogance to declare that I know better.

Ah yes, those statistics the professionals have that drive managers like Mattingly to play Andre "Can't Hit Lefties, ever" Ethier against LHP for years. Or, poo poo, look at Mike Matheny and Allen Craig this year.

Some managers are just really loving bad at lineups.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Deteriorata posted:

Well, Tom Tango,as recently as April 29, 2014, argued that managers ignoring sabermetric principles in lineup construction was a good indication of the lack of penetration of sabermetric principles to managers. He's also a consultant for MLB teams and currently works exclusively for the Cubs. So presumably he has access to a lot of that information you don't and he still thinks he knows better.

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 7, 2014

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Senf posted:

I've heard that Wrigleyville is absolutely terrible

Wrigleyville owns and I root for the Cardinals.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schweinhund posted:

They all obsess over the ridiculous "roles" of the lineup positions. The leadoff hitter has to steal bases! Meanwhile, they only lead off the first inning then it's basically random who leads off every other inning. But putting Revere 1st and Byrd 5th means you're giving Ben Revere like 60 more plate appearances than Byrd over the course of a season. There's no way that can be optimal.

This is very true with a lot of of "Old Timey" managers who put the fast black centerfielder batting first despite the fact he isn't an OBP/stolen base guy.

Please see: Granderson, Curtis; Jackson, Austin.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm glad Gibby seems to know what the gently caress is up.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I don't care about lineup ordering as much as I care about sensible bullpen usage. Managers that steadfastedly ignore reverse splits or leave genuine LOOGYs in to face righties? Ugh.

I also decided to define "bad managing" as whenever Ozzie would say something like he wanted 9 Juan Pierres on his team so he could have one for every position.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
B.J. Upton has 408 PAs Batting 1st & 2nd.

Managers are dumb. Go look at any team and you'll find some guy that's hitting sub-league average that's in the first 4 slots in the batting lineup.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

MaximumBob posted:

Well, Tom Tango,as recently as April 29, 2014, argued that managers ignoring sabermetric principles in lineup construction was a good indication of the lack of penetration of sabermetric principles to managers. He's also a consultant for MLB teams and currently works exclusively for the Cubs. So presumably he has access to a lot of that information you don't and he still thinks he knows better.

Tom Tango thinks he knows better than other people?? That sure is a shocker

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

New Concept Hole posted:

Managers are dumb. Go look at any team and you'll find some guy that's hitting sub-league average that's in the first 4 slots in the batting lineup.

Just have above average hitters at every position. :v:

Sosh doesnt do many annoying things other than not taking freeze out every chance he gets. And conger gets too many starts when iannetta doesn't need to platoon. Angels don't have a lefty in the pen so he can't gently caress that up either.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

You just need to photoshop Chris Berman into that picture like four times with signs that just read "Back".

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Wrigleyville owns and I root for the Cardinals.

Okay, so I guess a dude at work may have been dumb and or lied about his visit to Wrigley and Wrigleyville in general, which isn't surprising considering I live in California. Good to know that it'll apparently be a perfectly fine area to hang out in when we get there.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Have you guys not worked for a large organization that's set in its ways? (Which is pretty much any baseball team by definition). "Because that's the way we've always done it!" is holy writ. And then if you fight long and hard for change and finally get them to do it, the instant something goes wrong you get the blame for it and they go back to their old ways even more resolute because "well it didn't work LAST TIME we did that hotshot."

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 7, 2014

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

New Concept Hole posted:

I think the Padres are the best at this.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Remember when I couldn't figure out why on Earth the Brewers were in on Jon Lester? Yeah, that's a pretty bad thing now in hindsight. I'm not letting that stop me now though, as I think about Wrigleyville and let my bad opinions show you the way to "gently caress everyone and everything in the northern half of Illinois. I wouldn't piss on them if they were burning.".

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Dan Haren, after sucking for the majority of the season, somehow threw an efficient 7.1 great innings tonight and carried a no-hitter into the 6th

This'll probably buy him some more time as a starter. A vesting option (10MM for next year) kicks in at 180 IPs and he's at about 134 right now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

angrygodofjebus posted:

Wrigleyville is actually pretty nice and cool

Yeah Wrigley itself is a dump but Wrigleyville is awesome and a lot of fun. The people who hate on it are generally pretty lame, in my experience. Oh no people drinking!!!

Deteriorata posted:

I find it very hard to second-guess guys who've been doing something professionally for decades.

Ah yes Mike Matheny's decades of professional managerial experience.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 7, 2014

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

MassaShowtime posted:

I'm glad Gibby seems to know what the gently caress is up.

Not gonna lie, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
http://instagram.com/p/rU9887p2ND/?modal=true

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think it's more important to split your hitters up by LH / RH (and switch), and not stick a bunch of lefties / righties in a row, since a ROOGY / LOOGY could come in and mow them all down pretty easily.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Wrigleyville is full of a lot of drunk douchebags, but whatever, if you're there to have a good time and get drunk then you're going to have a good time and get drunk. It's a great place to do that as long as you don't pull Billy Cub's head off. DryHop is cool as poo poo, though. You should definitely go there. But don't be afraid of getting the Wrigleyville experience. My favorite places in the neighborhood are the not as douchey spots like Mullen's and Dark Horse.

And while I almost exclusively sit in the bleachers or down the first base line (you get more sun for afternoon games), 110 is perfectly fine. You should be close enough to harass the Cubs bullpen, if you so desire. Also, do yourself a favor and get the nacho helmet. It's the best value in the park for food and you get to take a cheesy, filthy plastic helmet home with you.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Wrigley is also fairly close to local option which is one of the best beer bars so go there

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
If you are going to Wrigleyville, gently caress any food at the stadium. I say this because Big Cheese exists now about a block south of the stadium and is fantastic. I mean, drat. They only have 3 locations and the other two are in Calgary! It is proper poutine so get some. The guy that owns it is a cool guy, too.

Also, yes, Local Option is the place to be for beer.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I like Brad Ausmus.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

The problem is MLB managers treat batting order like positions on the field. This guy is a #2 hitter, that guy is a cleanup hitter. They don't adjust lineups well when players move in or out of a team.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I like Brad Ausmus.

Me too. It's been more than half of a season and I can't think of many instances where he did something overwhelmingly stupid, so that's a win.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

He keeps letting Joe Nathan pitch

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Harlock posted:

He keeps letting Joe Nathan pitch

He can't leave pitcher's mound empty. Nathan is no worse than 90% of the rest of the bullpen.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Pat Clements posted:

People bitching about Washington/Matheny as a manager I kind of get, because frankly their actions can hinder extremely well-constructed teams. Neither of them are as mind-bogglingly stupid as Robin Ventura, who has somehow slid under the radar for three years because Jerry Reinsdorf loves him.

That said, any Yankee fans who bitch about Cashman or Giants fans who bitch about Sabean need to be fired into the sun.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone here bitch about Cashman or Girardi with any seriousness.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

In Francona's book there's a passage about how the baseball ops people would always suggest lineups for games, and Francona would read them, ask who are these guys and be told he didn't want to know.

And all things considered that's probably true (sorry for the ESPN insider link).

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Wrigleyville is a place where you pay 5 bucks for a can of Miller Lite.

Go to the Gingerman. It's a little north so it's quieter and divey-er.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Deteriorata posted:

If managers were making decisions based on top-secret proprietary data, it's pretty likely one of them would have mentioned this by now instead of "well, he's 4 for 7 lifetime against the opposing starter, his batting average with RISP is high, and gosh darn it I've just got a gut feeling that this is gonna be his night."

Ultimately, managers have the unenviable task of being Zen enough to mostly do nothing. I doubt that "nothing" is a very attractive course of action when you are the public face of leadership for a zillion-dollar corporation, and managers are not really hired from the demographics that are disposed to ignore that feeling just because it happens to be mathematically superior.

That said, I wish I could trade my smartphone for Clint Hurdle. I could hang out and shoot the poo poo with Clint, my smartphone could construct a lineup and avoid calling bunts, everyone wins.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Wrigleyville is a place where you pay 5 bucks for a can of Miller Lite.

Go to the Gingerman. It's a little north so it's quieter and divey-er.
And six bucks for a variety of 312. Even got some free beer two weeks ago for installing some stupid app then deleting it from my phone.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Retail Slave posted:

Could he be any worse than Dusty Baker was his last couple of years with the Cubs?

I still can't get over the complete clusterfuck that was the 2004 season: Kent Mercker calling the booth in the middle of a game to yell at Steve Stone, Alou trying to get Stone and Caray banned from the team flights, LaTroy Hawkins: Closer, Sosa's tantrum at the end of the season...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

David Kaplan is confirming that the Cubs won the claim on Hamels. The original source was a DJ in Philly for some reason. Cole Hamels would be cool.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

David Kaplan is confirming that the Cubs won the claim on Hamels. The original source was a DJ in Philly for some reason. Cole Hamels would be cool.

"Hi, Ruben? Yeah, this is Jed Hoyer. I was wondering if you'd be interested in a former first-round draft pick named Vitters."

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

tadashi posted:

The contract bothers me slightly, but as long as we didn't have to give up much in trade (I'm assuming Rube is smart enough to force a trade, here) I'm for having this dude in blue pinstripes.

Timby posted:

"Hi, Ruben? Yeah, this is Jed Hoyer. I was wondering if you'd be interested in a former first-round draft pick named Vitters."

"As an extra bonus, you can have Brett Jackson as well! What I'm saying is I'm willing give up a lot for this guy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower

ozymandius1024 posted:

Me too. It's been more than half of a season and I can't think of many instances where he did something overwhelmingly stupid, so that's a win.

The worst thing you can say is he's hitting Torii too high and was batting Rajai too low, because even though the dude was hitting ~.300, he just wasn't "lead-off" material or something. He let A-Jax hit leadoff who doesn't take more pitches than Rajai and strikes out just as much.

And I will not blame him for any bullpen issues. He's stuck thru Phil Coke and he's been better of late, he stuck through Joe Nathan and he's been lights out for a bit, but his options are all terrible.

• Locked thread