Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

kapparomeo posted:

Does anybody actually have a story of an ethnic-minority family whose child disappeared in similar circumstances to Madeline McCann and yet was contrastingly rounded on and demonised by the media, or is this just what the Book of Correctness tells you should happen?

The media doesn't care about minorities enough to demonize them:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10218585/Why-are-black-female-victims-seemingly-invisible.html

quote:

In the UK, if asked about cases of missing children, most will be aware only of the disappearance of Madeleine McCann in 2007, despite a child being reported missing every 3 minutes. While her disappearance is no doubt a huge tragedy, we have to wonder why it is Madeleine McCann, a pretty white girl, who has captured the sympathy of the public, and not girls with names like Aamina Khan, Elizabeth Ogungbayibi, or Folawiyo Oladejo, all of whom are listed on Missing Kids UK.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

Anyone coming out for the anti-TTIP day of action on Saturday (11th)? Barring unforeseen circumstances, I'll be around in York.

http://www.nottip.org.uk/nationaldayofaction/

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Also why the gently caress does she warrant 600 police officers from 8 different forces in an enormous manhunt, and none of these other children do?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

Not an ethnic minority, but the case of Shannon Matthews was incredibly similar before it was solved, and the only differences was that she was from a working class family and the way the tabloids treated the story. In a less concrete sense, 47% (EDIT: this is the figure for the US, anyone got one for Britain?) of missing children are from an ethnic minority and roughly all of the media focus on missing children is on white ones. So take your concerns about political correctness, roll them into a tube and shove them up your bum.

Shannon Matthews was widely reported in the media though?

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

Pissflaps posted:

Shannon Matthews was widely reported in the media though?

I'd like you to clarify, are you incapable of determining the difference between demonization and exultation, or are you being wilfully obtuse?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

I'd like you to clarify, are you incapable of determining the difference between demonization and exultation, or are you being wilfully obtuse?

Who has been exulted?

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
And how many hundreds of white children are on that list of missing as well and don't get reported in the media either?

Many commentators want McCann to be about class privilege - it would make it a lot easier for the jobbing hack, as it makes the baddie more obvious - more than it actually is. It requires a lot of elbow-grease to make it fit the model. As Prince John pointed out the McCanns' class actually provoked an outright backlash. The McCann story was also "sexier", so to speak, because not only of the mystery but because it took place somewhere exotic, sunny and foreign promising Trouble In Paradise and so it was immediately more interesting to the reading public. The Matthews story was not so exciting because it was domestic and grey and dull - unless blue skies are to be banned for being bourgeoise I'm not sure how you expect to solve that. In any case, I don't see how it was low-profile - I remember the Shannon Matthews disappearance and the story was mentioned multiple times over the weeks with regular updates on the national BBC News. There's also a point where a story achieves enough momentum to keep on rolling and become self-sustaining - Madeline McCann is a recognisable face and a name and she stays in the media not because of her social origins but because she's got brand recognition, her adventures have been incorporated as a soap opera. It probably says a lot about spin, but it's not about class.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 6, 2014

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

Pissflaps posted:

Who has been e exulted?

Gee, in a comparison between Shannon Matthew's family's portrayal in the media compared to Madeleine McCann's? That's a tough one.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

Gee, in a comparison between Shannon Matthew's family's portrayal in the media compared to Madeleine McCann's? That's a tough one.

I don't recall the Matthews family being demonised before It turned out they'd kidnapped the girl themselves.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

Pissflaps posted:

I don't recall the Matthews family being demonised before It turned out they'd kidnapped the girl themselves.

Fortunately, I'm talking about things that actually happened rather than what you remember, so it's irrelevant.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Claudia Laurence, Alice Gross, Madeleine McCann and Shannon Mathews are all white women.

You highlight how there are also white people who don't get attention but can you highlight an instance of heavy coverage of someone other than a white woman who had gone missing?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

Fortunately, I'm talking about things that actually happened rather than what you remember, so it's irrelevant.

I'm not sure how helpful your own recollection is as you seem to have got confused about the case.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

keep punching joe posted:

Anyone going to the RIC 2014 conference? Tickets going like hotcakes, venue has now been bumped up the the Armadillo and Science Centre.

http://radicalindependence.org/2014/09/29/ric-conference-2014/

So how many tickets have been sold in general?

Car Stranger posted:

Anyone coming out for the anti-TTIP day of action on Saturday (11th)? Barring unforeseen circumstances, I'll be around in York.

http://www.nottip.org.uk/nationaldayofaction/

So how will these demostrations send the message towards the EU? I doubt they will listen or do anything about it.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Extreme0 posted:

So how will these demostrations send the message towards the EU? I doubt they will listen or do anything about it.

It worked for ACTA*

*If by worked, you mean generated enough press coverage that people contacted their MEPs urging the European Parliament to reject the Agreement, which based on some fairly interesting specificities in that case, they chose to do.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ReV VAdAUL posted:

You highlight how there are also white people who don't get attention but can you highlight an instance of heavy coverage of someone other than a white woman who had gone missing?

The last one I can remember is that Scottish kid who was killed by his mother.
That got quite a lot of press before they found his body, although admittedly there wasn't much time between him being reported missing and the body being found.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

That happened so near to my old flat that I ended up checking around the bins and I'm not sure I can even remember the kid's name.

I'm sure there's some sort of study that would be more conclusive on this though compared to "I remember this" "Well I don't remember that" anecdotes.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Anyone going to the RIC 2014 conference? Tickets going like hotcakes, venue has now been bumped up the the Armadillo and Science Centre.

I'll be going mainly to see what they have to offer. Will probably be going with a couple friends too if they manage to get tickets.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
...Scotgoon meet up?

Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

Extreme0 posted:

I expect it'll do more to bring it into the public consciousness than posting on the internet. Best somewhat likely outcome is press coverage.

Besides which, that's a really defeatist and depressing line of reasoning. Let's not bother with protest or direct action because it may not achieve our goals?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Acaila posted:

I'm sure there's some sort of study that would be more conclusive on this though compared to "I remember this" "Well I don't remember that" anecdotes.

Another article mainly focused on the US but it doesn't suggest the UK is any different: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22441124

I didn't know Nelson Mandela intervened in the Stephen Lawrence case.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lord Twisted posted:

Also why the gently caress does she warrant 600 police officers from 8 different forces in an enormous manhunt, and none of these other children do?

This might actually be useful if they're focusing resources on the trafficking world, because even if they find nothing about Madeline it could help break some of those organisations and ultimately end up helping a lot of people.

But every time it's on the news I just wish they'd spend the time showing kids who've gone missing recently, that would be infinitely more useful than gawping at some old case that nobody can help with. Hell even Crimewatch indulges in ten-minute rehashes of Maddy news coverage, and focusing on things where the public can actually help is what they're supposed to be doing.

Was there ever a big missing children awareness campaign in this country? I liked that idea of putting pictures on milk cartons in the US, but I guess they stopped doing that because it was harshing people's breakfast buzz

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Extreme0 posted:

No figures have been released yet, but I would imagine that they are fairly confident of selling the full 3000 (minus press etc.) The first ticket block sold out within hours when the conference was still at the Radisson Blu. Last years was also a sell out, albeit only a 1k capacity venue, and there were a few hundred had to stand at the back.

There is a youtube playlist of all of the 2013 keynotes for a taste of what to expect.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwdjrbL4e6mG-yoLh0yqTkQ

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 6, 2014

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

don't worry friends, one brave columnist is ready to challenge the uncritical deification of the McCanns.

http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/news/newspaper-columnist-refuses-to-back-down-after-negligen#.VDK-jvinGxI.facebook

It's Katie Hopkins

:negative:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Spooky Hyena posted:

They were both equally treated until it turned out she'd been pinched by her own family. She wasnt missing long enough for the papers to go all Madeline on them. If you remember at the time the papers didnt immeadiately go Saint Maddy either, there were quite a few that roasted their parenting until it turned out she wasnt turning up in their car boot.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

serious gaylord posted:

They were both equally treated until it turned out she'd been pinched by her own family. She wasnt missing long enough for the papers to go all Madeline on them. If you remember at the time the papers didnt immeadiately go Saint Maddy either, there were quite a few that roasted their parenting until it turned out she wasnt turning up in their car boot.

Wasn't there a bit in Chavs about papers going on a 'boog a boo look at the poors' safari off the back of the Matthews story?

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

ronya posted:

pension funds are not all index funds precisely because there's a enormous attraction towards managing investments, be it to pursue social goals at the expense of profit, to align the interests of employees in the long-term viability of the quango, or to pursue investment plans uniquely available to the quango (which may be schemes run by charlatans, of course, but try talking a true believer out of it).
Well...
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/56a2fc14-4d68-11e4-8f75-00144feab7de.html#axzz3FOo3RAHR

quote:

The London Pensions Fund Authority, which works with 23 local authorities in total, said it supported Mr Johnson’s proposal.

“The overhead costs of running a large number of pension funds can run into billions of pounds,” said Edmund Truell, chairman of the LPFA.

“We have been trying to go direct with our investments and cut the layers of costs. I would consider it ‘job done’ if we were absorbed into a sovereign wealth fund.”

Pension investment advisers said it was far from perfect that so many small funds manage their investments individually but they would be concerned about the creation of one enormous fund.

“Many local authority funds are too small to be able to make individual investments in alternative assets or to have a bespoke liability-driven risk management strategy,” said Ros Altmann, a pensions expert.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/478d1a70-4afc-11e4-839a-00144feab7de.html#ixzz3FPCCIaX9

quote:

Potential savings of $420m a year have been identified by the Department for Communities and Local Government, which wants to shift the investments of the 89 funds that comprise the £179bn UK Local Government Pension Scheme from active to low-cost passive management.

LGPS members, however, are united in their opposition to the proposals to switch £84bn of actively managed assets. “I have yet to meet any member of the LGPS that is in favour of the switch,” said Susan Martin, chief executive of the £4.9bn London Pensions Fund Authority.

Johnson's proposal isn't necessarily one for pensions to move towards more indexing, since the small funds may not have the scale to be doing anything but indexing anyway.

ronya posted:

hmm yes, London infrastructure and housing should be a high-yield asset, even when flush with newly-mobilized funds. You sure about that, Boris? Is London's greatest bar to infrastructural or housing investment really an underdeveloped financial industry leading to credit shortages, so that mobilizing savings will create a glorious golden age of growth stemming from presently-unexploited investment projects? London, the new developing economy?

He did take aim at "localism". Presumably a small local pension's managers may be significantly based in the area it services, whereas a single national fund will have no reason to have a similar administrative footprint and instead centralize to the financial center. Only by chance is that central London.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah I'm going, will be interesting to see what comes out of it at this point.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Isnt the idea of pension funds to be large low risk, low return big wide safe portfolio type things? On the face of it much as i hate the man bozza's idea seems sensible, its just simplification. Im all for getting rid of some fund manager jobs. Although all the london stuff seems just popularist bollocks and god knows which arsehole he is pulling those numbers out from.

Soviet Space Dog posted:

Well...
“The overhead costs of running a large number of pension funds can run into billions of pounds,” said Edmund Truell, chairman of the LPFA."

Someone who knows about the finance explain how that could be true. I dont understand ... gently caress i'll write them a program that will invest in anything currently going up by 0.1% and they can all go home.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 6, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Wouldn't his proposed 7-8% yields be in the same kind of ballpark as the expected margins on a lot of current and proposed PFI deals? Even if those weren't acceptable on social housing in the south east, there would seem to be a number of other spheres where they could fly.

yes, but the reason those projects are not moving forward is not "we can't find financing at 7-8%", surely.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Seaside Loafer posted:

Isnt the idea of pension funds to be large low risk, low return big wide safe portfolio type things? On the face of it much as i hate the man bozza's idea seems sensible, its just simplification. Im all for getting rid of some fund manager jobs. Although all the london stuff seems just popularist bollocks and god knows which arsehole he is pulling those numbers out from.

Someone who knows about the finance explain how that could be true. I dont understand ... gently caress i'll write them a program that will invest in anything currently going up by 0.1% and they can all go home.

Yeah, sounds like bullshit to me.

1) Set up pension fund
2) suck in cash from dopey companies looking for somebody to manage their staff pensions
3) invest the cash in a bunch of lovely funds run by your mates
4) cream off the growth in the fund each year as 'management fees' so that your victims never actually see their pension pots get any bigger.
5) give interviews to stupid journalists where you explain that managing pension funds is an exceedingly complex and mysterious business that ordinary people could never possibly understand.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I made a thing to help you with facebook.
Who to REALLY unfriend
https://www.facebook.com/browse/friended_fans_of/?page_id=300455573433044

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Spooky Hyena posted:

The legendary voice of sincerity that gave the Scottish independence thread such integrity. This is the guy that when told that "Actually Scottish people practically ran the Empire and weren't so much complicit with the empire as the engineers of it" said "Ah right, I buggered that one up a bit!" and bought everyone a pint. Take this poster on at your own risk. The risk is getting a double barreled dose of KNOWLEDGE and TRUTH.

edit: Hi Doug.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown
I never claimed that Scotland wasn't part of the British Empire, isn't that what got me my big red text in the first place? Whatever, it's not like advocating direct action against the damage caused by the British empire is something that I'm ashamed of or anything. But if we are playing that game, would you mind explaining exactly why you don't think hating muslims is bigoted?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Oh my loving life I look forward to everyone forgetting the Scottish independence thread existed.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I miss the Scotland thread. Less hand-wringing.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I love how this thread can swing between hating nearly every aspect of the UK's hosed up political system geared towards looting every last penny off the poor and lecturing Scotland on why they're better off staying with us without a trace of irony.

Umiapik posted:

Yeah, sounds like bullshit to me.

1) Set up pension fund
2) suck in cash from dopey companies looking for somebody to manage their staff pensions
3) invest the cash in a bunch of lovely funds run by your mates
4) cream off the growth in the fund each year as 'management fees' so that your victims never actually see their pension pots get any bigger.
5) give interviews to stupid journalists where you explain that managing pension funds is an exceedingly complex and mysterious business that ordinary people could never possibly understand.

Hedge Funds being a really lovely investment plan for Pensions has been known for a long rear end time, but the government is never going to stop using them for the reasons you stated.

The fees are completely out of control and no one cares because it's Public money being gambled instead of personal. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8bcdae22-3dad-11e4-b782-00144feabdc0.html

If they cared about pensions they'd stick it in a Private Equity Fund and just leave them alone. Even the US thinks Hedge Funds are a lovely deal and they're no stranger to giving public money to their mates. The problem is our pensions sector is huge and well connected people stand to lose a lot of money if we start investing pensions sensibly. It's like the Housing Market, we could do the right thing but there's no money in it so that's never going to happen.

Fans fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 7, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
edit: in fact, never mind

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 7, 2014

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
So it is looking like the reason the Spanish nurse got infected with Ebola was because, due to Austerity, Spain had no adequate isolation facility and just used a disused wing of a hospital. Nurses and doctors raised deep concerns about the issue and the government ignored them. Even worse they followed WHO guidelines so literally that when the nurse reported a fever (an early Ebola symptom) she wasn't put in isolation because her fever wasn't high enough.

Given the UK has a similar regime of running down the NHS as hard as possible to make privatisation easier and that we're a global transport hub and have a large West African community we are at risk of a similar thing happening here. Therefore it is probably worth getting in touch with your MP to try and get them to raise questions about this so we're as prepared as possible just in case.

Before anyone jumps on me I'm not suggesting a mass Ebola outbreak is imminent or likely in the UK but making sure the UK is as prepared as possible in terms of facilities and protocol, rather than just being fobbed off by government PR. It need not even be malignant behaviour, it could simply be complacence about it just not being a thing that could happen here in which case making sure the lessons from Spain are learnt here before people are put at risk of getting Ebola is of benefit to everyone.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

I love how this thread can swing between hating nearly every aspect of the UK's hosed up political system geared towards looting every last penny off the poor and lecturing Scotland on why they're better off staying with us without a trace of irony.

It's almost as if different people have different opinions. hosed up but true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

mfcrocker posted:

Oh my loving life I look forward to everyone forgetting the Scottish independence thread existed.

Yeah it was awful, people were disagreeing, expressing and debating complex policy differences with people with different political perspectives and becoming so impassioned that the tone actually became slightly emotive, clearly a poor representation of the political situation in this country. I much prefer this thread where we all agree that everything is terrible forever, we discuss sensible policy like a government meth monopoly and no one gets upset about everything going to poo poo and poor diabetics dying of starvation in the street.

• Locked thread