Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you mean on G+, then I think you're referring to me. But the closest Drafthouse is in New York, which is a few states over.
There are similar approximations to the Drafthouse nearer than New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Halloween Jack posted:

My worst movie theatre experience was when I saw Transformers 2. Because I stayed for the whole movie, and saw and heard the whole thing.

That was my experience with Man of Steel. Actively wanting to leave the movie, but staying because I was there with others.

Made worse that the people I saw it with also wanted to leave!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I missed the first half of Man of Steel on account of being called up by the office to handle an incident and I still wanted my money back.

But my worst theater experience was watching Babylon AD in its entirety.

Dec 26, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

People are rude and stupid. To fix this I need to stop watching the movie and find an usher who doesn't really care, or argue with some idiot who probably won't listen because "don't talk during the movie" and "don't kick the seats" is beyond them. Even with my relatively fine trip to see Fury Road, there was seat kicking from loving adults.

People in general are awful.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plague of Hats posted:

People are rude and stupid. To fix this I need to stop watching the movie and find an usher who doesn't really care, or argue with some idiot who probably won't listen because "don't talk during the movie" and "don't kick the seats" is beyond them. Even with my relatively fine trip to see Fury Road, there was seat kicking from loving adults.

People in general are awful.

:goonsay:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I don't go to the movie theater often, but when I do I never see these bothersome patrons. Either I am extremely lucky or it's something much more common in the USA.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't go to the movie theater often, but when I do I never see these bothersome patrons. Either I am extremely lucky or it's something much more common in the USA.
I've never had an issue in a theater here.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
After leaving IMAX Fury Road my ears were ringing a little bit and I'm pretty sure my eyes were bright red from not blinking for 2 hours. I'm gonna get it on Blu-Ray and it's not going to be as good. It'll still be good, mind you, but there's no substitute for big screen 3D and fatty speakers for something like that. The guitar flying towards the screen was a bit gratuitous in 3D though.

Edit: Also, there's a Showcase Deluxe cinema near me. You get a sofa, there's a lounge for pre movie drinks and you specify how far into the movie you want your meal pre ordered for. Would have been pointless for Fury Road though. I realised part way through I was actually doing that comedy "mouth open with a piece of popcorn halfway to it, staring at the screen" thing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never had an issue in a theater here.

Then I guess I really am lucky. Maybe we're both lucky!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love that Fury Road is practically becoming the official movie of TradGames.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Half of the fun of going to the movies with your friends is yelling curse words and pelting people with popcorn.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Maybe it'll drum up more Apocalypse World games rather than Monsterhearts or DW.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Maybe it'll drum up more Apocalypse World games rather than Monsterhearts or DW.

I'm sure ApocWorld 2e will do that too.

(please run more Apocalypse World someone)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Portland is crawling with awesome, cheap pub theaters. Going tomorrow to see Suspira for Grindhouse Night at the Hollywood.

------------
What's the goon-census on Monster of the Week?

I picked it up a while ago, and while I think it emulates its genre well (episodic monster-hunting TV show), I think my growing preference for sandbox-style games left me feeling a little straitjacketed.

Is it closer to AW than DW? Or does AW have more of an open-sandbox feel?

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 25, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I really like it. I don't think it's close to either AW or DW in terms of what you're looking for because the source material doesn't lend itself well to a sandbox style game where there's a bunch of stuff going on and the players pick and choose what they want to do.

AW and DW both lend themselves well to sandbox play, although I think DW does it better because AW has a focus on your home and the relationships to it. Perilous Wilds is coming out in September or so and has more in-depth stuff for setting up a world and exploring it, so you might want to wait on the release. I'm going through the backer access PDFs and there's some good stuff in here.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
AW is sort of sandboxy in the sense that it encourages player-driven gameplay, but it doesn't lend itself well to sandboxes of the exploration variety, since as Evil Mastermind pointed out it's more focused on a single location. It sort of works as a drama-based sandbox, where you simply have the setting (created by the players and MC in concert) and the gameplay emerges from player decisions and the relationships between the characters, both PCs and NPCs.

Having said that, you could probably run Apocalypse World as an exploration-driven sandbox by making a couple of new moves for exploration, foraging and so on, but out of the box the game is more about the drama that comes from a bunch of messed-up characters trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic society.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Simian_Prime posted:

Portland is crawling with awesome, cheap pub theaters. Going tomorrow to see Suspira for Grindhouse Night at the Hollywood.

------------
What's the goon-census on Monster of the Week?

I picked it up a while ago, and while I think it emulates its genre well (episodic monster-hunting TV show), I think my growing preference for sandbox-style games left me feeling a little straitjacketed.

Is it closer to AW than DW? Or does AW have more of an open-sandbox feel?

Edit: following refers to "sandbox" in terms of "player-driven plot" like Ratpick mentions, not in the sense of "here's a giant open-world to explore."

I am not familiar with all the PbtA games, but I do know DW, AW, and MotW. Of these, I think that AW has the most open-world feel. The first session is meant to be following the characters through a fairly typical day while you ask questions like crazy to add detail to the world and add lots of potential plot hooks.

DW tells you not to over-prepare, but AW tells you not to prepare at all until you've done that. AW also assumes that the players won't be together all the time (helpful in sandbox play) and that their followers/allies will start coming into conflict. This is also helpful for generating interesting plots even in a sandbox.

Monster of the Week is the most structured, I think, but that's partly because it's really, really hard to work up a satisfying mystery on the fly. Given this, I think the way that it encourages you to sketch out the plot and the progression of bad stuff - I think it goes something like Twilight, Nightfall, Night, and Midnight - is pretty helpful. MotW is trying very hard to be the Supernatural RPG - as long as you're on board for that it should work. My players had a great time with the 2-shot I ran with it.

There's a second edition of Monster of the Week, but I'm not familiar with it at all.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I really like it. I don't think it's close to either AW or DW in terms of what you're looking for because the source material doesn't lend itself well to a sandbox style game where there's a bunch of stuff going on and the players pick and choose what they want to do.

Yeah, that's the impression I got. I think because my first PbtA game was DW, I was expecting more of a sandbox from MotW. Buyer's remorse, I guess.

quote:

AW and DW both lend themselves well to sandbox play, although I think DW does it better because AW has a focus on your home and the relationships to it. Perilous Wilds is coming out in September or so and has more in-depth stuff for setting up a world and exploring it, so you might want to wait on the release. I'm going through the backer access PDFs and there's some good stuff in here.

This looks great. Thanks!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The only sandboxy game of the ""here's an open-world to explore" variety I know of is Dreadful Secrets of Candlewick Manor, which isn't all that gigantic and majestic but boy is it well-written.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 25, 2015

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm sure ApocWorld 2e will do that too.

(please run more Apocalypse World someone)

drat, guess I'll hold off on buying AW until the new edition comes out.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Simian_Prime posted:

Yeah, that's the impression I got. I think because my first PbtA game was DW, I was expecting more of a sandbox from MotW. Buyer's remorse, I guess.

If you want a sandbox PBtA game in a roughly similar genre to Monster of the Week, I can strongly recommend Urban Shadows. It's Apocalypse World if Apoc World was set in 'HBO does Supernatural' instead of 'HBO does Post-Apocalypse'. Same assumption of sandbox play, player-NPC-player relationship triangles, there not really being a "party" or even any necessity for everyone to be in the same place. It's really loving good.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Doodmons posted:

If you want a sandbox PBtA game in a roughly similar genre to Monster of the Week, I can strongly recommend Urban Shadows. It's Apocalypse World if Apoc World was set in 'HBO does Supernatural' instead of 'HBO does Post-Apocalypse'. Same assumption of sandbox play, player-NPC-player relationship triangles, there not really being a "party" or even any necessity for everyone to be in the same place. It's really loving good.

Seconding this.
I have an older version of the rules, its good.
Apparently the latest version is even better.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Backing Vincent Baker's Patreon gets you access to the draft playbooks and new basic moves.

And yes, there are now rules for doing Fury Road-style car battles.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a system out there that emulates the combat style of early 90s RPGs like Dungeon Master, Wizardry, Eye of the Beholder, Might and Magic where instead of tracking specific positions for each character, you just have 2 characters in the "front" and 2 characters in the "back" and that determines how engagements work out?

Or for more recent examples, Legend of Grimrock and Darkest Dungeon.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The One Ring has something like that; basically you pick a stance (fighting forward, fighting defensively, ranged fighting) and that determines both your target number to hit and the target number to hit you; fighting in the front makes it easier to hit the other guy, but also makes it easier for the other guy to hit you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What about Etrian Odyssey dude it's not 90s at all

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a system out there that emulates the combat style of early 90s RPGs like Dungeon Master, Wizardry, Eye of the Beholder, Might and Magic where instead of tracking specific positions for each character, you just have 2 characters in the "front" and 2 characters in the "back" and that determines how engagements work out?

Ryuutama does exactly this, but who knows when it'll be out of layout and available.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

What about Etrian Odyssey dude it's not 90s at all

It exists because of Japanese Wizardry fandom, though. There's also The Dark Spire, which is a good Wizardry-alike.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dark Spire is brutal.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Parkreiner posted:

Ryuutama does exactly this, but who knows when it'll be out of layout and available.

According to the last KS update, on May 9, it's 11 weeks out for North America, 15 weeks for rest-of-world. So, basically sometime in August.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Got my copy of Spirit of '77 today. Thanks Bucnasti!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Same, mine got here today and they both seem good! Good job Bucnasti, seems the KS went very smooth and everyone's getting their stuff.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Awesome to hear that people are getting their books. Hopefully we'll have the last two digital stretch goals done by the end of the month.

I went to a local con (Gamex) this weekend and talked to a guy who's using Spirit of 77 to run an animated family band game, something like The Partridge Family crossed with Scooby-Doo, and having a real blast with it.

Also a friend of ours runs LARPS, and he seriously want's to run a Spirit of 77 LARP at the next con. I'm still not sure how I feel about that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I hope I get my copy of So'77 soon. Also, I'm really looking forward to Ryuutama, wish I hadn't missed the KS.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

It exists because of Japanese Wizardry fandom, though. There's also The Dark Spire, which is a good Wizardry-alike.

I looked up what this was on youtube and wow, that looks really great. They even have a "classic mode" where the walls are just flat white lines.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Evil Mastermind posted:

I went LARPing at the weekend and lost count of the number of times I heard "Witness Me!", "I live! I die! I live again!" and "What a day! What a lovely day!" when fighting.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MikeCrotch posted:

I went LARPing at the weekend and lost count of the number of times I heard "Witness Me!", "I live! I die! I live again!" and "What a day! What a lovely day!" when fighting.

:rip:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Everywhere I look I hear people saying how much Fury Road is a great movie and that is great to see a female in a leading role in an action movie... with the exception of one, that is absolutely convinced that the opposite is true.

Can someone who has actually seen the film tell me if these criticisms are correct? It seems odd for a film to generate such diametrically opposite reactions.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1deRc9QyiddibqVpe40rWTH7ASINzZ3O234_q_nF1KNw/edit

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

Everywhere I look I hear people saying how much Fury Road is a great movie and that is great to see a female in a leading role in an action movie... with the exception of one, that is absolutely convinced that the opposite is true.

Can someone who has actually seen the film tell me if these criticisms are correct? It seems odd for a film to generate such diametrically opposite reactions.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1deRc9QyiddibqVpe40rWTH7ASINzZ3O234_q_nF1KNw/edit

Even just glancing at it all those bolded points are completely, provably wrong. So no, this person has their head up their rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Wow. Someone really wanted to feel justified in how much they hate Fury Road. All of those criticisms s are factually untrue, much less philosophically.

• Locked thread