Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
I stupidly bought this thing on launch and cannot play. Every time the game launches I get a "Battlefield 4 has stopped working". Windows 8, BF3 works fine

I've updated everything I can. I'm just assuming this is EA delivering a faulty product. I can't return it, so what do I do with this piece of poo poo

Thanks in advance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

It has some elements directly ripped out of BC2 though, like smokescreen cover from the vehicle upgrade and the smoke grenade launcher hiding you from the spotting mechanic and recon wizballs that turn recon into a run and gun class while still providing MAV-like information.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So this is apparently a thing. Thanks dukka for the poo poo angle.

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.

Drunk & Ugly posted:

I stupidly bought this thing on launch and cannot play. Every time the game launches I get a "Battlefield 4 has stopped working". Windows 8, BF3 works fine

I've updated everything I can. I'm just assuming this is EA delivering a faulty product. I can't return it, so what do I do with this piece of poo poo

Thanks in advance?

I have the same problem. I hear DICE is working on a fix but I have no hopes for it. Same thing happened to me in BF3, and I never found out how to fix it. It was more random, but in BF4 it happens every time I try to load.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Can someone techsavy explain to me what's the matter with the game's netcode? Like not just tell me that it is poo poo, but actually point me to something that explains why it behaves the way it does? (Also, what the hell Network Smoothing actually does. Right now I have it set to 0.)
Up until today I did not have problems with it except for a lot of cases where I and another guy end up killing each other at the same time a lot. (Which for me was actually an improvement over how Battlefield 3 felt at short distances.) Now when I play, people kill me without looking at me or shooting five round from a DMR, while my Pistol gets two rounds off when I started the engagement. It feels pretty much like Battlefield 3 for me now, where I can see my weapon firing and the enemy flinching but then I drop down without the enemy even raising or firing his weapon on my screen. I somehow doubt that DICE changed the netcode over the last 24 hour, so there is probably a reason for that, which I just don't get.
Not to mention that a lot of people are apparently just fine running around in the middle of a Domination map just dropping people left and right, while having to turn around. When I watch the pings on the scoreboard, the people are usually all close to my ping (~20-40 for most EU servers). If there is a certain magical ping range where the netcode makes me feel less like somebody who gets everything told two seconds after it happens, I'd like to know it. Hell, if it turns out that high pings are advantageous, I'd probably just play on US servers all the time.

Also, I can't get the M2 SLAM to trigger on infantry. :saddowns:

Randler fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 4, 2013

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

krispykremessuck posted:

I mean they work like a goddamned anti-personnel mine AND anti-vehicle mine. Something rolls over it or walks on it and POW!

edit: it's not rocket science it blows things up indiscriminately c'mon people

Calling bullshit, the SLAM doesn't trigger on infantry.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now

General Battuta posted:

Calling bullshit, the SLAM doesn't trigger on infantry.

But the tooltip! :qqsay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXoTwlliAfw

bathhouse fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 4, 2013

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

HandsomeBen posted:

It's fun when it works. It will be a fantastic game in a month or two just like BF3 and BC2.

Pretty much. My crashes have been limited to server side issues, but they're no less annoying when they occur every five or six games.

I played this game for five hours on Friday and another six Saturday and then three more hours in the morning on Sunday. It is a lot of fun when it works and when you are willing to accept a bad K/D ratio while you learn maps and unlock the actual good guns in engineer and support classes.

I contend that nothing is more satisfying in video games than ending some sniper's streak with a volley of XM25 shots.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kibayasu posted:

The MBT-LAW sucks, but you're crazy if you're talking about anything after that. As long as you aren't shooting a tank or APC right in the front armor rocket launchers combined with the mobility crippling are incredibly effective.

The LAW is very bad when solo, but it is very good en masse especially since it doesn't need to be unlocked. You barely even need to aim the thing so it's perfect for when you're trying to dislodge a tank of IFV from a MCOM since you can just spawn and start spamming.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is the Javelin worth it at all?

Currently I like to play recon and just try and sneak behind lines and C4 tanks.

Javelin has really long range which makes it great for Little Birding.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Is there some sort of test range for flying/driving around on an empty map, like I'd heard leading up to release?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Randler posted:

If there is a certain magical ping range where the netcode makes me feel less like somebody who gets everything told two seconds after it happens, I'd like to know it. Hell, if it turns out that high pings are advantageous, I'd probably just play on US servers all the time.

A guy I play with has parroted that pings less than 30ms or over 200ms are ideal.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Is anybody else not getting full GPU usage? Mine seems to hover around 70-80% most of the time.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Is there some sort of test range for flying/driving around on an empty map, like I'd heard leading up to release?

There's a button for that right on front page of battlelog

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Fifty Three posted:

Yes, there is a testing range that you can load up that has all vehicles to practicing flying/shooting/whatever. You can also adjust your graphical and control settings there as well. This single change is such a huge improvement from BF3, I don't know why they didn't put it in before.

To get to it, it's found under the Multiplayer section in Battlelog, then go to the Testing Range.

Edit: If you turn down your settings and don't play on 64 person servers, you'll pretty much never crash. I've been streaming and running shadowplay and I haven't had any issues. I only crashed like once or twice this past weekend and I put at least 8-10 hours in.

VVVVVVVVVVV

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 4, 2013

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

VeggieSmuggler posted:

I have the same problem. I hear DICE is working on a fix but I have no hopes for it. Same thing happened to me in BF3, and I never found out how to fix it. It was more random, but in BF4 it happens every time I try to load.

Re-installing as a last resort. Are there not many other goons with this issue? I mean, I've never had any probs with my PC other than with BF4 so I'm refusing to blame it as of now. It's just odd how many people are playing in this thread and posting like it isn't a big deal and yet all I hear all over the net is crash crash , can't play, crash

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Wait so I have to launch this game through my browser?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Ok I don't know if I'm being actually retarded or if some stupid bug is making me it's bitch right now.

In the level where you have to blow up the dam I've reached where you have to detonate the C4 and I get the prompt to press 3 to pull out the detonator. However my dude just pulls out the other gadget I've got. No way of setting off the C4 at all. This is the 4th time I've had to run this mission because of bugs and I'm really not in the mood to do it again if it's another one.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Yerok posted:

Is anybody else not getting full GPU usage? Mine seems to hover around 70-80% most of the time.

That would be normal if you're heavily cpu limited (dual core, crappy quad core AMD phenom) or you're using adaptive vsync on a super fast GPU. If you're getting 15fps with a great GPU and a recent CPU, though, that's a different story.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Requested_Username posted:

If it launches, yeah

I'm definitely not doing this the next time around. I remember I bought BF2 around launch and it was OK, although that was before they tried reeling in money through expansions. The DLC crap happened late into that game's existence which probably explains some things: they finished the actual product before they started working on the extras. I didn't touch BF3 for the longest time which was probably smart

This just seems so typical of the games market lately. It's advertised like it's the Titanic of video games, and then it breaks on launch, which is the only thing it has in common with the loving titanic. While at the very same time they're trying to sell you map packs and battlepack crap. This happens with so many other huge releases too, like Total War. But we just continue on accepting it with our money. ugh

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Carecat posted:

After 14 hours only playing engineer I'm certain rocket launchers are really underpowered. They need to do 10 more damage across the board. Only doing 30 damage if you are very lucky makes them a joke.

No the damage is fine and you have enough rockets to blow up any vehicle.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Just like BF3. Battlelog is pretty amazing as a whole.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Yes but the Battlelog has gotten a whole lot better, I actually like it now.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Carecat posted:

After 14 hours only playing engineer I'm certain rocket launchers are really underpowered. They need to do 10 more damage across the board. Only doing 30 damage if you are very lucky makes them a joke.

Oh god no please. Also unlock the Sraw, never worry about armor or air ever again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSzYwTPPZTk

RIP BF4 Air vehicles

edit: bonus AA tank active radar easy mode video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4W-llE4VgY

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

FallenGod posted:

That would be normal if you're heavily cpu limited (dual core, crappy quad core AMD phenom) or you're using adaptive vsync on a super fast GPU. If you're getting 15fps with a great GPU and a recent CPU, though, that's a different story.

Nah, I'm running a 3570k at 4.2 and I ha e a 7950 with a dumb overclock. Usually above 60 fps on a bit below ultra but certain buildings bring my fps down to like 40 when they're in view. It seems to be tied to smoke effects and the big destructible buildings maybe? Like the hotel on the resort map causes a drop to like 20 fps when I'm looking at the front.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Drunk & Ugly posted:

I'm definitely not doing this the next time around. I remember I bought BF2 around launch and it was OK, although that was before they tried reeling in money through expansions.

1942 had expansions you dumb rear end.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks guys.

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

There's a button for that right on front page of battlelog
I haven't bought the game so I didn't know. :colbert:

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Bolow posted:

So this is apparently a thing. Thanks dukka for the poo poo angle.

What's a "thing"? What are you talking about?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Carecat posted:

Try shooting them from the sides/rear? You get actively rewarded for good positioning by crippling the movement of the vehicle.

lonter posted:

What's a "thing"? What are you talking about?

If you look at the underbarrel it's an M326 MASSLAUNCHER

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Drunk & Ugly posted:

Thanks in advance?

Have you tried reinstalling? Fully uninstall everything, and then try again. It sucks, but sometimes that happens. pcgaming.txt, computers are fuckin' complicated yo.

updated drivers?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

DoctorStrangelove posted:

1942 had expansions you dumb rear end.

Lots of games had expansions, this is just people getting all up in arms about video games and how consoles blah blee blee bloo CallofDutyDayOnePatchesConsolizationSeasonPassDLCAnnouncedBeforeGameOut

Oh, sorry, I had a stroke there because people can't remember stuff from less than ten years ago and act like DLC is a new practice simply because it is called DLC instead of "Expansion Packs."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Siege of Shanghai TDM is pretty funny because absolutely nobody expects you to follow the river out of bounds to get behind them. My squad wiped out half the enemy team doing that.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
So the remote mortar is fun. Plonk it down and go about your business. When you encounter some shitlords on a rooftop, whip out the control and lay down the smack. You can fire rounds in rapid succession this time, but it has the same ammo recharge mechanic as other vehicles.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Riflen posted:

So the remote mortar is fun. Plonk it down and go about your business. When you encounter some shitlords on a rooftop, whip out the control and lay down the smack. You can fire rounds in rapid succession this time, but it has the same ammo recharge mechanic as other vehicles.

Does it actually recharge? It must be slow or I am super impatient. I just dropped an ammo pack and put down another mortar.

Jalapeno0
Mar 9, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Does it actually recharge? It must be slow or I am super impatient. I just dropped an ammo pack and put down another mortar.

seems like a bug but... pick up the mortar station and place it down again, you have full ammo for it again.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I've ranked to level three five loving times now

Orv
May 4, 2011
Commander is actually pretty amusing every couple rounds to just chill out and selectively be a real loving dick to one dude. I was commanding on Zavod and we held the cruise missile the whole time, so this one tank that just sat in a different corner of the map each time and never moved kept eating them. :allears:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Commander mode needs a way to order multiple squads / all squads to an objective. Basically make the UI not poo poo. More things to do would be nice as well. Like drone strike hellfire missiles or artillery barrage.

edit: At least let you swap between player and commander without having to close and relaunch the client.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 4, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Commander mode needs a way to order multiple squads / all squads to an objective. Basically make the UI not poo poo. More things to do would be nice as well. Like drone strike hellfire missiles or artillery barrage.

Yeah it's not something I could do all day like I did at times with BF2, but I'll probably play a few rounds here or there. If nothing else it's good for :smugdog: when you block the enemy commander doing something 'important'.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The commander's job should be telling the squads what to do. I played a round on PURE last night where the commander was giving us all sensible orders and calling out nearby threats that were approaching us. It was wonderful.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

edit: At least let you swap between player and commander without having to close and relaunch the client.

Oh gods, is that actually necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

I've ranked to level three five loving times now

I get a bug where if I get promoted the animation for the promotion plays over and over. One time this happened at the very beginning so I had like 30 minutes of LEVEL 13 PROMOTION SWOOOSH over and over again.

My impression of BF4 is that it's fantastic. I no longer have any client crashes at all and haven't for the past ~2 days. The only servers I see crash are 64 player servers so I've been avoiding those ones a little more. I love the balance of the game, even though carbines seem to be more powerful than any other gun I'm still having a blast with sniper rifles, DMRs and pistols. The ability to customize all your utility slots is great, the choices in loadouts is amazing, the graphics are fantastic, the helos feel perfect, the vehicle balance feels almost just right. I really could go on and on. I'm probably super biased because the Battlefield series has always been my absolute favorite but this is literally the best game I've ever played.

• Locked thread