Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HopperUK posted:

Oh man are we supposed to be hipsters about which old religions we're interested in now? Oh yeah, I dabble in Mithraism, you've probably never heard of it :smug:

It is kind of fun to think about how things would be different when you think of all the other mystery cults and existing religions that could have swept the Roman Empire instead of Christianity sometimes. Or what if the Persian empires had focused on spreading Zoroastrianism and been a little less religiously tolerant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Kimble Justice is back, with Silent Hill 2. Spoilerific!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
SFDebris is a drat machine. Coming off the week long KOTOR special we have now a week long look at the book World War Z: http://sfdebris.com/videos/special/wwz.php

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Spoony has posted that Patreon has reached a level which will allow him to start work on a movie. So, expect a poorly acted, self-indulgent video full of wacky characters, pop-culture references and all those b-plot antics that you skip past in the reviews. :negative: Say goodbye to any hopes of 20min game reviews full of snappy one-liners. Those days had probably long gone anyway... :( *deletes Spoony Experiment from google favourites toolbar*

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Spoony has posted that Patreon has reached a level which will allow him to start work on a movie. So, expect a poorly acted, self-indulgent video full of wacky characters, pop-culture references and all those b-plot antics that you skip past in the reviews. :negative: Say goodbye to any hopes of 20min game reviews full of snappy one-liners. Those days had probably long gone anyway... :( *deletes Spoony Experiment from google favourites toolbar*

It hovered within $50 below that goal for a very long time, which I took as an indicator that the movie was something people didn't want to see.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OldTennisCourt posted:

SFDebris is a drat machine. Coming off the week long KOTOR special we have now a week long look at the book World War Z: http://sfdebris.com/videos/special/wwz.php

If he's critical, I really hope he's not coming at it from a OUR BOYS WOULDN'T GO DOWN LIKE THAT! USA MILITARY FOREVER OORAH OORAH OORAH because that gets boring fast.

The criticism about weird portrayals of Israel and South Africa on the other hand, is totally valid.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If he's critical, I really hope he's not coming at it from a OUR BOYS WOULDN'T GO DOWN LIKE THAT! USA MILITARY FOREVER OORAH OORAH OORAH because that gets boring fast.

The criticism about weird portrayals of Israel and South Africa on the other hand, is totally valid.

I see people come at the Battle of Yonkers and say it's unrealistic, but honestly it makes perfect sense.

People always say "Oh, they're just walking bodies, how hard could it be for the army to take out zombies?" but fear is a huge loving problem. All it takes is one dude to say "OH GOD, I HIT THE HEAD AND IT'S COMING" for an entire army to go to poo poo, especially the way the book had everyone be connected. WWZ never seemed to be about HELL YEAH USA ~guitar solo~, it was about coming from the brink by the skin of our teeth by coming together and making gigantic sacrifices.

I can't remember the Israel issues as it's been a while, but the South African problems stemmed from that quarantine plan right?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OldTennisCourt posted:

I see people come at the Battle of Yonkers and say it's unrealistic, but honestly it makes perfect sense.

People always say "Oh, they're just walking bodies, how hard could it be for the army to take out zombies?" but fear is a huge loving problem. All it takes is one dude to say "OH GOD, I HIT THE HEAD AND IT'S COMING" for an entire army to go to poo poo, especially the way the book had everyone be connected. WWZ never seemed to be about HELL YEAH USA ~guitar solo~, it was about coming from the brink by the skin of our teeth by coming together and making gigantic sacrifices.

I can't remember the Israel issues as it's been a while, but the South African problems stemmed from that quarantine plan right?

IIRC there was stuff about a Palestinian who had a Senseless Hatred of Israel getting saved by the Brave Sacrifice of a Mossad Agent and a mention of South Africa doing well with zombies because they already had apartheid.

I agree with you about the army stuff though.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

On the novel Israel's practices are what save them from getting infected in the first place. On the movie, they get compromised thanks to letting a Palestinian girl in.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, 3 great things got released today so far. Kimble's new video, SFdebris new series and now the Attitude Era podcast has just released a review of Backlash 2000: https://soundcloud.com/the-attitude-era-podcast

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Didn't he say in the video that he was gonna try to avoid doing something like the AVGN movie or whatever? It'd probably be a B-movie but I think he'd be smart enough to bring along Brad Jones to help with things.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'm just happy he admits that he hasn't been putting nearly as much content as he should have. Hopefully when that editor comes around it won't just be 'a video every several months down the line.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's been forever since I read the novel. But if I remember the countries that get the worst from the author are China, North Korea, and maybe South Africa. If I remember correctly though South Africa's problems are actually a lot like the problems West Africa is having with Ebola, so not that bad. Israel is in a weird half holy poo poo, look at these guys and half holy poo poo, look at these guys position.

I forget, did General Winter save Russia once again? I know he certainly came to the aid of Canada and the Northern US.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

Video's finished.

I hope my dumb mockery of a few really silly people brightens someone's day. Please let me know what you think in case I do more stuff in this vein.

Hey, grats on getting some buzz for this - it's a cool vid! Your reaction to the skull was GOLD.

---

So yeah, Kunster already threw the link up (thank youuu) but I'm back rolling again, although I don't have any kind of schedule. I do have another video coming up tomorrow which is GG-related, so I will no doubt be losing any and all goodwill from my return almost immediately (hopefully not as it's not even that much of an angry video, but...well, it's GG-related). SH2 was a cool vid to do though, and I thought I'd make some lil' changes to how I do things as well. I got tired of doing a lot of the "CONTEXT!!!" stuff I normally do and so I just went straight for it - and even then I'm still not sure I even scratched the surface with this game. It deserves to be even more of a landmark title than it already is, to be honest. There's more to talk about in nearly all of the freaking ROOMS in SH2 than there is in 95% of all other games.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Kim Justice posted:

Hey, grats on getting some buzz for this - it's a cool vid! Your reaction to the skull was GOLD.

---

So yeah, Kunster already threw the link up (thank youuu) but I'm back rolling again, although I don't have any kind of schedule. I do have another video coming up tomorrow which is GG-related, so I will no doubt be losing any and all goodwill from my return almost immediately (hopefully not as it's not even that much of an angry video, but...well, it's GG-related). SH2 was a cool vid to do though, and I thought I'd make some lil' changes to how I do things as well. I got tired of doing a lot of the "CONTEXT!!!" stuff I normally do and so I just went straight for it - and even then I'm still not sure I even scratched the surface with this game. It deserves to be even more of a landmark title than it already is, to be honest. There's more to talk about in nearly all of the freaking ROOMS in SH2 than there is in 95% of all other games.

Interesting, their Patreon has dropped by $400 or so. I attribute that to Hbomberguy!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Gyges posted:

It's been forever since I read the novel. But if I remember the countries that get the worst from the author are China, North Korea, and maybe South Africa. If I remember correctly though South Africa's problems are actually a lot like the problems West Africa is having with Ebola, so not that bad. Israel is in a weird half holy poo poo, look at these guys and half holy poo poo, look at these guys position.

I forget, did General Winter save Russia once again? I know he certainly came to the aid of Canada and the Northern US.

IIRC Winter helped Russia, but the country still tumbled into being a massively restrictive Theocracy. North Korea is the ticking time bomb since they had a huge underground city that everyone is certain is filled with millions of zombies.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
And now, for a political issue that doesn’t have its own hashtag!

Drones carrying cameras could be the next big thing in the entertainment industry, but they’ll need permission from the FAA to operate in the United States. My newest Cheapskate Special is a look at drone camera laws and a prediction of their future.

https://vimeo.com/110042404

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kunster posted:

On the novel Israel's practices are what save them from getting infected in the first place. On the movie, they get compromised thanks to letting a Palestinian girl in.

Just as a reminder "Israel's Practices" in this includes building giant fuckoff walls and leaving Palestine to die so basically both versions had horrible creepy anti-Palestine messages in their own ways.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Just as a reminder "Israel's Practices" in this includes building giant fuckoff walls and leaving Palestine to die so basically both versions had horrible creepy anti-Palestine messages in their own ways.

If you are talking about the books, no, they actually let the Palestinians in, which causes a Civil War with the Orthodox population, which, of course, is the only part of Israel's population that would have a probe with that. It's still really weird, mostly because it is totally at odds with the rest of the books. Mostly because I don't see how Israel's history with aggressive neighbors would led them to take obscure warnings about zombies seriously, or how a single analyst would get the rest of the government to agree to something as massive as completely isolating them. It just comes across as really out-of-place Mossad propaganda. Maybe they take their foreign policy from Pandemic's Madagascar.

Also, I don't think the South Africa part is that creepy or weird. It's not trying to justifying or whitewashing Apartheid, it simply says that the government had actually developed plans to deal with a situation were the majority of the population would rise up, which they adapted to zombies. But the existence of such plan is never portrayed as anything else but the result of racist regime and its application to the zombie crisis is presented as an act of desperate people with serious moral implication. Doesn't Redecker actualyl go insane afterwards?

All in all, the book is really suffers the common problem that once you leave the author's home country, the rest of the world becomes a bunch of stereotypes and lowest common denominator facts about other countries.

e X fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 26, 2014

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah, I figured people would know that from at least gleaning the trailer. The whole thing is incredibly hosed up and it sort of gave me a big hint when I first heard from this book from people who also were like "Well, there's also The Turner Diaries. It's not very PC I know but it tackles similar matters".

... I'm honestly happy that it took SFDebris to look at this away from the TGWTG/ChezApocalyse crowd.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 26, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You mean all of those b-plots over the years he never ended up doing anything with because sometimes he would go 6 months between reviews and forgot about them? Great.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kunster posted:

Yeah, I figured people would know that from at least gleaning the trailer. The whole thing is incredibly hosed up and it sort of gave me a big hint when I first heard from this book from people who also were like "Well, there's also The Turner Diaries. It's not very PC I know but it tackles similar matters".

... I'm honestly happy that it took SFDebris to look at this away from the TGWTG/ChezApocalyse crowd.

World War Z and the Turner Diaries are quite a few degrees apart. Like, the Left Behind series is a more reasoned jump than that.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh I know, but said folk put it as "You see, this is a wise evaluation of something that might happen. Only it won't be the living dead. But not human exactly. Wink Wink."

How can I put this? They were the sort of folk that got happy for the South Park episode on Zimmermann having a WWZ parody where black people were zombies... despite the episode making all sorts of stops on that being a lovely thing Cartman was doing and in no way glamorizing this poo poo.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Hooooly poo poo. I listened to the RLM commentary for Halloween. I never knew that John Carpenter sang the theme for Big Trouble in Little China :allears:.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tracula posted:

Hooooly poo poo. I listened to the RLM commentary for Halloween. I never knew that John Carpenter sang the theme for Big Trouble in Little China :allears:.

Here you go

The guy is a bonafide renaissance man.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jimbot posted:

Here you go

I will resist the urge to uber-sperg over John Carpenter as one of my favorite directors ever but holy poo poo I never saw this :allears: I feel like I can die happy now that I have see this and Lo Pan Style.

Edit: I don't know where else to ask this but where can I get those plastic sunglasses from Big Trouble in Little China? I have always wanted a pair of those and google has even failed me in finding them.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 27, 2014

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jimbot posted:

Here you go

I did a search for the Coup De Villes, and I found this.

They did a whole album.:allears:

EDIT: I found one of the songs on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I74iQSW5Q0

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 27, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They also are mentioned casually in The Fog.

Edit: Oh yeah, fun fact. The guy on the keyboard directed this and co-wrote this. I just flipped your loving wig.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 27, 2014

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, fun fact. The guy on the keyboard directed this and co-wrote this. I just flipped your loving wig.

Whoa, Michael Myers directed The Last Starfighter? Huh. Learn something new every day.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Jimbot posted:

They also are mentioned casually in The Fog.

You know what's also mentioned casually in The Fog? Tons and tons of landmarks and streetnames from my bumfuck nowhere hometown in Kentucky, (Bowling Green,) because that's where John Carpenter lived and went to school! (He's my university film program's star alumnus, basically.) Watching that movie was surreal for me because it's all like "THE FOG IS MOVING IN ON CAMPBELL LANE WITH A FEW OF THE CREATURES MATERIALIZING ON SMALLHOUSE ROAD" and it's like "poo poo-poo poo-poo poo they're here, batten down the loving doors and windows HOW DID THEY GET HERE THIS CITY IS LANDLOCKED AND ALSO HAS A POPULATION OF gently caress-ALL."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jay O posted:

You know what's also mentioned casually in The Fog? Tons and tons of landmarks and streetnames from my bumfuck nowhere hometown in Kentucky, (Bowling Green,) because that's where John Carpenter lived and went to school! (He's my university film program's star alumnus, basically.) Watching that movie was surreal for me because it's all like "THE FOG IS MOVING IN ON CAMPBELL LANE WITH A FEW OF THE CREATURES MATERIALIZING ON SMALLHOUSE ROAD" and it's like "poo poo-poo poo-poo poo they're here, batten down the loving doors and windows HOW DID THEY GET HERE THIS CITY IS LANDLOCKED AND ALSO HAS A POPULATION OF gently caress-ALL."

That must be amazing. All my town has produced are a Cracked.com writer and a Jersey Shore person.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Mr. Fowl posted:

That must be amazing. All my town has produced are a Cracked.com writer and a Jersey Shore person.

Ha ha. Well, BG-KY has John Carpenter and Cage the Elephant, and I think that's literally it? That's it for stuff I know anything about at least, which doesn't count sports anyway.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I went to sleep and when I woke up, twenty-five-thousand new people had seen the video.

Who did that

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Well, I posted it on another forum and sent the link to a few friends. I assume other people here did the same so... grats.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

I went to sleep and when I woke up, twenty-five-thousand new people had seen the video.

Who did that

A very positive reaction all around too, which is somewhat unusual! I guess if there's one thing that GG and "anti-GG" can agree on, it's that Jordan Owen and Davis Aurini can both gently caress off.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

Who did that

You better add giant "SUBSCRIBE HERE" bumpers now while you still can

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Is that good enough?

Also lol in the comments people are getting upset about trigger warnings. Like the concept itself is ruining their day. Some guy called 'jfk shooter' called me a sophist with a gay laugh. I'm getting owned on the internet

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jay O posted:

Yeah I understand that feeling, especially this time of the year when the zombies start walking around my mall (that is people dressed as zombies, the normal zombies are here all year long just walking around with glazed looks in their eyes wanting to buy useless stuff)

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Hbomberguy posted:

Who did that

Tumblr.

http://dicksweredinner.tumblr.com/post/100973897480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jay O posted:

This is how I feel watching any video RLM does since I'm also in Milwaukee. I'm always looking for street names and poo poo that I probably recognize. I always love when they bitch about the roads too since unless you live here you have NO IDEA how loving bad they are. :argh:

Also for the love of god do not read the comments on Jesu's goodbye video on TGWTG. Jesus loving christ.

• Locked thread