Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ovenboy posted:

I bought this during greenmangaming's summer sale, and after playing around with it some I decided to look around for some journalism:

:wiggle:

Does this interpretation bother you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Rookersh posted:

I uh....no it's not.

I kept branding every single Orc band I met for awhile to test it. After 4-5 hours I stopped running into nonbranded orcs. Every stronghold I entered was nothing but my orcs, every patrol, every garrison in the countryside.

This was post branding all the Warchiefs/Captains of course.

The pool is very large, but it's still a singular pool. It won't create new orcs/despawn your orcs, it'll just move them around to create more scenarios for you. But if you keep branding nonstop, you'll eventually catch all the orcs in the pool.

Does Dispatch or whatever the ability is that kills all branded orcs have a range? or can you kill the entire game at once? I can't imagine that would end well.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ovenboy posted:

I bought this during greenmangaming's summer sale, and after playing around with it some I decided to look around for some journalism:

:wiggle:

This is why I don't even bother with anything that remotely passes itself as "social commentary".

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Does this interpretation bother you?

Not really, I just thought it was a bit funny, (they're bad guys, but they're not bad guys). I actually like that the orcs, who are the archetypical faceless bad guys actually have some personality in this game. You develop a love-hate thing with some individuals or you can even empathize a bit. Some poster on a previous page said something along the lines of "these faceless mooks steal the show". Shadow of the Colossus did the "Wait, I'm a monster" wonderfully.

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 2, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Palladium posted:

This is why I don't even bother with anything that remotely passes itself as "social commentary".

Why? I mean, he's correct. The weird racial undertones of Lord of the Rings are kind of a matter of record, especially when you take into account the evil humans being depicted as vaguely middle-eastern. And the fact that the orcs have a lot of personality in this game just kind of gives the commentary more weight.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
That old meme about blue curtains comes strongly to mind.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm just glad there's a AAA game for white supremacists.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I'm just glad there's a AAA game for white supremacists.

bioshock infinite?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What is dumb about it is that it implies it wouldn't be racist if the main character wasn't white, which is even more racist.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
WHITE MAN

ARISE

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Don't you know that most orc killings are caused by orc-on-orc violence?!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Also you're pretty hosed up if you sympathize with the orcs. They are shown doing extremely violent things and are never depicted as having a conscience. That's the beauty of the game, they are designed to be irredeemable and thus you shouldn't feel remorse for stabbing 'em

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

They are shown doing extremely violent things and are never depicted as having a conscience.

unlike the protagonist??

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Endorph posted:

unlike the protagonist??

What are you suggesting that the protagonist do? Attempt to negotiate with the orcs? Adopt a non-lethal strategy ala Metal Gear? gently caress branding, I want to fulton some orcs

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Mzbundifund posted:

Don't you know that most orc killings are caused by orc-on-orc violence?!

Humans don't kill young orcs;young orcs kill young orcs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

gently caress branding, I want to fulton some orcs
can you imagine the yelling

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Coolguye posted:

can you imagine the yelling

I can already imagine the friendly/excitable ones going "YIPEEE" while the whiny ones are like "NOT AGAIIINNNN!"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

What are you suggesting that the protagonist do? Attempt to negotiate with the orcs? Adopt a non-lethal strategy ala Metal Gear? gently caress branding, I want to fulton some orcs

The suggestion is that you wage war directly against The Man and not slaughter/enslave the proletariat.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sassassin posted:

The suggestion is that you wage war directly against The Man and not slaughter/enslave the proletariat.

well thats what the Fellowship did, especially Sam and Frodo themselves. there are already a lot of games about them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

You are, aren't you? I mean the entire goal is to destroy the cruel higher ups to eventually make your way to the highest up of them all. I don't think there's any point where your motivation isn't "Gonna gently caress Sauron in his giant flaming eyehole as soon as I can."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah but you also kill or torture then kill thousands of random mooks on your way there

its not like the most problematic or w/e and i liked the game, but, like, it was weird when i realized the protagonist was being a dick to his one real ally for no reason other than he's an orc, or when i grabbed info for the first time and realized the game automatically killed the dude you tortured afterwards instead of giving you an option to just let them go

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Endorph posted:

yeah but you also kill or torture then kill thousands of random mooks on your way there

its not like the most problematic or w/e and i liked the game, but, like, it was weird when i realized the protagonist was being a dick to his one real ally for no reason other than he's an orc, or when i grabbed info for the first time and realized the game automatically killed the dude you tortured afterwards instead of giving you an option to just let them go

also, the stealth kill tutorial has you go up and kiss your wife

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Oh yeah, I agree with that. I'm just saying that the goal IS kill the assholes, it's just how it is executed rather than that not being the protagonist's goal.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Coolguye posted:

SHOCK HORROR

SOMEBODY REMIND MACKINTOSH

Seriously though, gently caress the people who write for "games journalism". Bunch of talentless hacks who can't write about an actual subject and are beaten by youtubers who do it for fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coolguye posted:

yeah that was weird

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Endorph posted:

If you're referring to Ratbag, he's not your "one real ally", he's an idiot who thinks he can use you to become warchief. Talion's allies are Ghost Dad, hunter dwarf, fightin' lady, his old Gondor captain buddy leading the slave rebellion, and so forth. Talion's not a nice dude, but it's not like orcs are some oppressed indigenous people or whatever, they're a cannibalistic slurry of blood magic and elf DNA that crawled out of a literal mud pit to live a short brutish life enslaved permanently to the will and character of Satan himself.

You are right that Talion's treatment of the orcs is somewhat off-putting, but I think it's supposed to be. One of the major plot points is about how Celebrimbor's had a little too much time with The Ring and he's getting bits of Sauron in his character and motivations, and he's manipulating Talion to achieve his own ends.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
#orclivesmatter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh, yeah. orcs are cool. also ratbag shows humor, self-awareness, and a willingness to compromise which is more than i can say for like every other character in the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

tbh, yeah. orcs are cool. also ratbag shows humor, self-awareness, and a willingness to compromise which is more than i can say for like every other character in the game.

The primary and most important attribute of an orc in Shadow of Mordor is their willingness to spill their blood everywhere when you stab them, in a nice chunky fashion.
Thus the gameplay of Shadow of Mordor would be equally as satisfying if you played as an Orc (or whatever) among human hordes.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Also you're pretty hosed up if you sympathize with the orcs. They are shown doing extremely violent things and are never depicted as having a conscience. That's the beauty of the game, they are designed to be irredeemable and thus you shouldn't feel remorse for stabbing 'em

Come on, like you don't feel for that bastard who's just so afraid of bees, and then there are bees!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Endorph posted:

bioshock infinite?

holy moly :thurman:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FANTASY RACISM!!

e: also aren't these hyperoffended types kind of missing how the orcs torture and kill and enslave all the humans and freeing them is kind of a central point of the game? lmao

e2: ratbag was a total uncle tom

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 2, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Squeegy posted:

FANTASY RACISM!!

e: also aren't these hyperoffended types kind of missing how the orcs torture and kill and enslave all the humans and freeing them is kind of a central point of the game? lmao

Two wrongs make a right?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It's about ethics in Uruk slaughtering

#gondorgate

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ratbag was my favorite orc and I just wanted to make him king of everything before killing him myself.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sassassin posted:

Two wrongs make a right?

they eat people

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think it's just kind of weird to have a fantasy race that has human intelligence but also does nothing but eat people and be evil. like from a writing perspective. it's lazy writing and also has weird implications. that's more a fault of tolkien and from that point fantasy in general, but it's still a weird thing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

tolkien legit said near the end of his life that he regretted making the orcs so one dimensional, but he also defended it virulently for a while too, just from a utilitarian perspective - the story was about what he put front and center, it didn't need a ton of c-plots rattling around

but bear in mind that this is the same guy that c.s. lewis hated taking to social events because all he'd loving do is talk about middle earth and creep people out so it's already through a pretty skewed lens

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i imagine he hated making the orcs so one dimensional mostly because it meant he couldn't give them an incredibly elaborate past with 500 characters who never appear in the books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orcs are effectively supposed to be demons, corrupted and impure and without redeeming value but malicious and intelligent.

But it does stand out weirder when they have a culture and so-on because, well, demons are defined by being supernaturally evil and Orcs apparently can have families and poo poo so who knows?

• Locked thread