Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bates
Jun 15, 2006

fade5 posted:

This guy watched the Bambi and the Lion King growing up. Think about that for a minute.:pwn:

omg they're human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

Here's a Frontline article on it.

By the way, there's a new Frontline that goes rather in depth into Obama's decisions in Syria/Iraq.

At 43:47, I am looking at a devastated Kobane, with a Turkish flag flying over it? I didn't think there was real damage on the Turkish side.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Anosmoman posted:

omg they're human

Gonna be a dead human within the year probably, and hopefully, too.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

fade5 posted:

The internet and twitter in particular has lead to some really weird changes on stuff like this. Twitter allows for basically real-time conversations with active ISIS members, it also allows of real-time updates of any and all fights on the ground, and tons of cross-culture stuff has popped up in the most unexpected places.

http://nayzak.deviantart.com/

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
In my personal experience it tends to be SE-Asian Muslims that are really really into anime(probably due to the popularity of anime in SE-Asia in general) and where most of the manga style Islamic fan art comes from, not that there aren't any Middle Eastern anime fans.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Anime is pretty popular all over the world I think, especially with mal-adjusted young men whose lives lack meaning so they go out and join a war.

In the Ukraine thread I saw some rebel's sniper rifle done up with an anime graphic on the stock, complete with kanji.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

Here's a Frontline article on it.

By the way, there's a new Frontline that goes rather in depth into Obama's decisions in Syria/Iraq.

This leaves a lot to be desired; it should have gotten the Bush's War treatment. They miss out on pointing out the hilarious indecision with regards to Kobane even after making the decision to commit to destroying ISIS and then wondering who on the ground could fight ISIS. No mention of the Kurds as a non-extremist faction either (although a case could be made for them to be considered extremist). Certainly absent is the yezidi clusterfuck where even a clear-cut humanitarian mission was ignored only to show up a day late and a dollar short. It also doesn't mention the Sunni tribal guy who complained that he had a direct line to washington that he was attempting to use to call in help, but nobody was answering the phone and oh by the way 200 of his tribesmen were massacred because of it.

The episode has a far, far too rosey a view of Obama's syrian/iraq strategy.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Anime is pretty popular all over the world I think, especially with mal-adjusted young men whose lives lack meaning so they go out and join a war.

anime is popular with a wide variety of maladjusted people, not just young men. fujoshi are probably like 60% of the physical manga market in the US

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Al Jazeera did an interview with Abu Mohammed al-Golani, the leader of the Al Nusra Front:
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/5/28/syria-al-qaeda-leader-our-mission-is-to-defeat-regime.html

Some interesting things in this interview. He claims that Al Nusra only wants to fight the Assad regime, and has been ordered by Ayman Al Zawahiri (leader of Al Quaeda) not to use Syria as a launching point for an attack on the west. Also at what point is the US going to stop pouring billions into an intelligence apparatus to find these high level terrorist leaders when apparently all you have to do is have Al Jazeera interview them? I remember they were able to interview Bin Laden multiple times both before and after 9/11 and it took us 10 years to find him.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Charliegrs posted:

Al Jazeera did an interview with Abu Mohammed al-Golani, the leader of the Al Nusra Front:
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/5/28/syria-al-qaeda-leader-our-mission-is-to-defeat-regime.html

Some interesting things in this interview. He claims that Al Nusra only wants to fight the Assad regime, and has been ordered by Ayman Al Zawahiri (leader of Al Quaeda) not to use Syria as a launching point for an attack on the west. Also at what point is the US going to stop pouring billions into an intelligence apparatus to find these high level terrorist leaders when apparently all you have to do is have Al Jazeera interview them? I remember they were able to interview Bin Laden multiple times both before and after 9/11 and it took us 10 years to find him.

Bin Laden was also a kept man of the Pakistani intelligence services up until he was assassinated. There are many ways in which American intelligence is... opaque in its effectiveness.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Bin Laden was also a kept man of the Pakistani intelligence services up until he was assassinated. There are many ways in which American intelligence is... opaque in its effectiveness.

Is this based on anything besides the lovely Hersh report?

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
Jihadists are people just like us

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

While I think you are totally right, I don't think theres been any publicly available proof the Pakistanis were harboring Bin Laden. Correct me if I'm wrong.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Charliegrs posted:

Also at what point is the US going to stop pouring billions into an intelligence apparatus to find these high level terrorist leaders when apparently all you have to do is have Al Jazeera interview them? I remember they were able to interview Bin Laden multiple times both before and after 9/11 and it took us 10 years to find him.
Well, journalists with experience in this stuff have an easier time because they *can* go into areas without being immediately killed. The Al Qaeda dudes are a different can of worms but terrorists / rebel groups / assorted bad guys depend on other people to survive. They need food, money, ammunition, whatever. So there's networks that will lead you to them and they often want to tell their story.

U.S. Special Forces were (might still be) in CAR and Uganda to advise soldiers hunting for Joseph Kony. But Kony is in Kafia Kingi and the U.S. just simply can't go there. It's controlled by Sudan. But journalists do and have managed to meet up with him recently.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Smoothrich posted:

Gonna be a dead human within the year probably, and hopefully, too.

It's actually somehow worse to see them casually spouting memes and pop culture references. They think it's a cool adventure to go to Syria and slaughter infidels. Yeah, I hope a Kurdish bullet wipes that smile off his face.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Getting an interview with Bin Laden involved getting strip searched for any possible tracking devices, getting blindfolded, and loaded into the back of a 4WD for half a day. Where the interviewee answers a pre-determined list of questions. They are calculated PR stunts: we get our message across, and in return you get an interview and Not Die. Any attempts to deviate from protocol will be answered by a bullet to the head.

People using the Bin Laden interviews as conclusive evidence that the US wasn't trying to kill him have poo poo for brains.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bip Roberts posted:

Is this based on anything besides the lovely Hersh report?

I for some reason thought that these allegations were more substantiated. They're not citing the Hersh report, though. :shrug:

Charliegrs posted:

While I think you are totally right, I don't think theres been any publicly available proof the Pakistanis were harboring Bin Laden. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is what that wikipedia article cites considered public knowledge? Some of the earlier USG allegations were not substantiated by any specific evidence, but there's later stuff.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I for some reason thought that these allegations were more substantiated. They're not citing the Hersh report, though. :shrug:

Is what that wikipedia article cites considered public knowledge? Some of the earlier USG allegations were not substantiated by any specific evidence, but there's later stuff.

Well yeah, anything in wikileaks is public knowledge. But a lot of that material seems somewhat inconclusive. My point being, that if the US government hasnt flat out said some level of Pakistani government knew about Bin Laden then theres always going to be some doubt. Now naturally the US might have good reason to keep the truth a secret ( like every American demanding we bomb the hell out of Pakistan)

Again I'd like to stress I think the Pakistan government or at least the ISI knew about Bin Ladens location and may have even facilitated it. I just wish our government would come clean with us about it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kenzie posted:

Looking back on the battles, commanders said they realized that in the irregular Iraqi forces, they faced a more committed enemy than they’d seen before, more persistent than the Republican Guard divisions that were supposed to be the most potent in the Iraqi defenses. They also saw signs of a strategy based on the success of Somali militiamen against Army Rangers a decade earlier: Cut off the attacking U.S. troops, isolate them on city streets and pour in reinforcements to inflict maximum casualties.

Regarding this: There have been some pretty persistent rumors that Al-Qaeda militants were in Mogadishu ever since, teaching anti-helicopter tactics to the Aidid forces for a fee. Did this ever happen, or is it bullshit? If not, it makes sense some advisors could have been in Iraq and advised them to recreate the Mogadishu incident.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lol are people still saying there was a link between Saddam and Al-Qaeda?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
American Indians used horse archery tactics in combat, clearly the spirit of Genghis Khan travelled through time and space and taught them to fight the Europeans.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Looks like the Syrian Army has successfully deployed its "run away" strategy in the last city in Idlib.

quote:

Syrian rebel group ‘seizes’ city of Ariha in Idlib province

A coalition of rebel groups has said it seized the last city in Idlib province in northwest Syria near the Turkish border.

The Syrian army pulled back from the city, which is the last that was still held by the government.

A coalition of rebel groups called Jaish al Fateh, or Conquest Army, said it had taken over the city. Syria’s al-Qaeda offshoot Nusra Front is a major part of the coalition.

The coalition said it had overrun several checkpoints that defended the city. The Syrian army said intense fighting was going on with Nusra forces that had infiltrated Ariha.

“There are heavy clashes between the army and the terrorists of Jabahat al Nusra who infiltrated inside the city,” said an army statement released on state television.

Later the army admitted its forces had pulled back from the city, the latest string of defeats by the Syrian army and a big blow to the morale of president Assad’s government forces who have vowed to defeat Sunni militants financed by Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkey who seek to overthrow his rule.

“Units of our armed forces evacuated their positions in Ariha and withdrew to defensive positions in the vicinity of the city after battles it fought facing large number of Nusra terrorists,” the army source was quoted as saying.

A rebel source from Ahrar al Sham confirmed that street fighting was going on inside the city between army fighters and the insurgents. “There are many bodies that litter the streets,” he said, adding that the rebels were searching for Assad’s government forces inside the city.

Many civilians have hidden inside shelters.

Syria accuses Turkey of financing and aiding rebels seeking to topple the government. Damascus says foreign jihadi fighters allowed into Syrian territory by Turkey have played a pivotal role in recent rebel gains.

Rebel sources say they have secured more US-made missiles in recent months that have helped them to gain a military edge over the Syrian army.

The Nusra Front has made gains in northwestern Syria alongside other insurgent groups in recent weeks, seizing the city of Idlib, the town of Jisr al-Shughour and bringing them closer to government-held coastal areas north of the capital.

The loss of Ariha would leave the insurgents in control of most of Idlib a region that borders Turkey and neighbours president Assad’s heartland in Latakia province on the Mediterranean coast.

The city, once home to more than 80,000 people, is strategically located on the main army supply lines between Idlib and Latakia.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

fade5 posted:

This guy watched the Bambi and the Lion King growing up. Think about that for a minute.:pwn:

My god! this means? Yes surely it can only mean that at one point in this 19 year olds life he was a younger child

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

My god! this means? Yes surely it can only mean that at one point in this 19 year olds life he was a younger child

Clearly he became a dirty terrist because he watched age-inappropriate movies as a child :bahgawd:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Anyone who thinks the ISI wasn't harbouring bin Laden is an idiot.

Also there's been another suicide bombing at a shia mosque in saudi arabia today.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

over time the reaction to "people being brutally murdered in the middle east" changes from "oh no :ohdear:" to "i wonder what they'll do next :suspense:"

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

They aren't surprised you SAW it, you idiot. It's like a Auschwitz guard coming home after a long day gassing Jews to tweet about his favorite Woody Allen movies.

:shoots Walt Disney in the back of the head, douses his films in gasoline and burns them as artifacts of the infidel west, before wiping a tear from his eye: "I really liked Aladdin, Mr. Disney," he whispers to the burning corpse.

quote:

I will destroy your polluted western culture (just as soon as I'm done watching the Lion King)!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's the subliminal messages in Lion King that made them go jihadi.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

I think a NYT journalist substantiated that part of the story, he'd reported on it a couple years back iirc.

Still not proof of course. I have little doubt personally the ISI knew he was there.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Right after Hersh's story was printed an NY Times journalist, Carlotta Gall, claimed that she'd been told, by a source in the ISI, that Pakistan had been hiding bin Laden.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/12/magazine/the-detail-in-seymour-hershs-bin-laden-story-that-rings-true.html

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Charliegrs posted:

Well yeah, anything in wikileaks is public knowledge. But a lot of that material seems somewhat inconclusive. My point being, that if the US government hasnt flat out said some level of Pakistani government knew about Bin Laden then theres always going to be some doubt. Now naturally the US might have good reason to keep the truth a secret ( like every American demanding we bomb the hell out of Pakistan)

Again I'd like to stress I think the Pakistan government or at least the ISI knew about Bin Ladens location and may have even facilitated it. I just wish our government would come clean with us about it.

For one, despite being allies in the region the US/Pakistani relationship is shaky at best.

Second is that the US isn't really popular, especially among the population. All I can find on the subject right now is this Time article (so take it with a grain of salt), but I don't have a hard time imagining that certain pockets within the ISI had no problem with keeping Bin Laden hidden. content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2071153,00.html

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That elements of the ISI were colluding with Bin Laden was pretty much what everyone believed before Hersh, and the assumed reason why the mission took place the way it supposedly did with so little involvement with the Pakistanis.

What is implausible about Hersh's claim was the idea that Americans were not absolutely livid when they found out, and responded by cooperating wholeheartedly with the people who had been deceiving them.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Sort of like how Mogadishu had pre-planned withdrawal and abort criteria that they didn't execute because they hosed up? It's almost like you somehow don't think it's possible for the US Armed Forces to gently caress up ever despite, well, the last like 60 years of recorded history
The US army/marines haven't lost a pitched battle since the Korean War. Wars have political dimensions, since wars are by definition merely politics by other means, so we haven't won some of those wars, but the performance by the military could hardly have been better.

That remains the problem with Iraq. We can send in the troops and they'll crush everyone they come in contact with, but that hardly seems like it will solve the problem. As soon as they leave the whole country will fall apart again.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Charlz Guybon posted:

The US army/marines haven't lost a pitched battle since the Korean War. Wars have political dimensions, since wars are by definition merely politics by other means, so we haven't won some of those wars, but the performance by the military could hardly have been better.

That remains the problem with Iraq. We can send in the troops and they'll crush everyone they come in contact with, but that hardly seems like it will solve the problem. As soon as they leave the whole country will fall apart again.

Warfare like this was a lot easier two+ thousand years ago when genocide, rape, and enslavement was the standard practice. The Romans would have come in, killed just about everyone, made the practice of Islam illegal, demolished any and all holy sites, and set up a brutal, repressive client king to manage it for them. I think ISIS is just reverting to that earlier standard. It's easier to hold territory when you've killed a ton of folks who would oppose you and anyone left is completely terrified of you.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Martin Random posted:

Warfare like this was a lot easier two+ thousand years ago when genocide, rape, and enslavement was the standard practice. The Romans would have come in, killed just about everyone, made the practice of Islam illegal, demolished any and all holy sites, and set up a brutal, repressive client king to manage it for them. I think ISIS is just reverting to that earlier standard. It's easier to hold territory when you've killed a ton of folks who would oppose you and anyone left is completely terrified of you.

Then in a few hundred years, the Roman emperor will convert to Islam and make it their state religion?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I think the most likely scenario is the "People in ISI knew/helped, but it wasn't an official state sponsored thing" scenario. The Pakistani gov't isn't the most competent government on earth, but they aren't that dumb either.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Martin Random posted:

The Putin method.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

to be fair murdering the entire population is probably the most effective way of fighting rebels since there'll be no way of hiding in the general populations when everyone is dead

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

blowfish posted:

to be fair murdering the entire population is probably the most effective way of fighting rebels since there'll be no way of hiding in the general populations when everyone is dead

Well, it did end the Dacian problem, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Putin method.

It's probably every non liberalized region's method. Why many nations just start murdering protestors with the military still.

At least Putin had some mafioso class with his own people, he tastefully assassinates them.

• Locked thread