Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

Just made an Octopode Assassin and holy poo poo this rules. I ended up going with Ashenzari for no particular reason, but is there a better choice? I probably won't switch now, but I'll undoubtedly do something dumb and die so I wanna know what might be best for this race/class for when I try again.

OpMo of Chei, become a Middleweight Champion, it's your destiny

JK, Chei can be frustratingly hard early on, but slouch and just hitting things hard is really fun once you survive early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Why are the new Spider tiles in Trunk so... oddly coloured? They look like they're trying to go for some weird stylized shading compared to the rest of the tiles.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Hey guys, Team Bad Crawl My Way still has one spot open for anyone who wants it. All skill levels welcome! (hell, I've still only ascended once in a non-sprint game)

code:
# TEAMCAPTAIN uglyjohn
code:
# TEAMNAME Bad Crawl My Way
# TEAMMEMBERS Sientara switch971 gbuchold Jolly (You?)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Decided to play a warmup game this week while waiting for the tournament. Took my Draconian Fighter to two runes and all the way to Elf to pick up some gear. Got Abyssed. Was handling it fine, thought "Hey, why not try for the abyssal rune so I don't have to do Vaults?!" Dove deeper. Deeper. Couldn't find a goddamn vault to save my life, let alone a vault with actually the rune in it. Eventually got worn down and killed by constant loving starcursed masses screaming at me while I'm trying to deal with the rest of the monsters mobbing me.

Truly I am worthy of being in the Abyss Team. My body is ready for the tournament.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Brannock posted:

Decided to play a warmup game this week while waiting for the tournament. Took my Draconian Fighter to two runes and all the way to Elf to pick up some gear. Got Abyssed. Was handling it fine, thought "Hey, why not try for the abyssal rune so I don't have to do Vaults?!" Dove deeper. Deeper. Couldn't find a goddamn vault to save my life, let alone a vault with actually the rune in it. Eventually got worn down and killed by constant loving starcursed masses screaming at me while I'm trying to deal with the rest of the monsters mobbing me.

Truly I am worthy of being in the Abyss Team. My body is ready for the tournament.

Congratulations on your Successful Abyss Visit.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in the abyss, even the meanings of things like success and failure are warped in new and horrifying ways

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

kaschei posted:

Speaking of terrible names I need a better one for the abyss-lovers' tournament team, currently "Wish You Were Here." Other ideas of mine (and so probably bad):
- Schadenfreude the Abyss
- Abysmal Performers
- Schadenfuck the Abyss
- Lurking Horrors
- Infinite Players of the Abyss
- some other stuff I'll edit in and pretend was my idea to look cleverer and accuse other people of stealing

- Distorted <foo>
- Banish the Haters
- Abysmal Planewalkers/Corruptors/etc
- Wriggling Masses of Primal Chaos (ADOM callback)
- Abyssal Apostles Anonymous

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the abyss gazes also into us

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Abyssal Playin'

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .
Team Dont make the wrong choice has one spot open if anyone is interested. Play as serious or as casual as you like. Open to all skill levels.

code:
# TEAMCAPTAIN Miron
code:
# TEAMNAME Dont_make_the_wrong_choice
# TEAMMEMBERS Palyth Frobop GIRLIRL Jenzors

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Ugly John posted:

Hey guys, Team Bad Crawl My Way still has one spot open for anyone who wants it. All skill levels welcome! (hell, I've still only ascended once in a non-sprint game)

code:
# TEAMCAPTAIN uglyjohn
code:
# TEAMNAME Bad Crawl My Way
# TEAMMEMBERS Sientara switch971 gbuchold Jolly (You?)

Ooh, I can get on board this if nobody else has.

My in-game name is Mattybee!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Also:

I've climbed upstairs to level 8 to check out bits of the floor I can't have explored yet - the level has two discrete bits, all the upstairs to level 7 are in one bit. This is me exploring the other.

Climbing up has taken me 2.3 turns, as a centaur. I thought these turns were taken on the level I entered the stairs, level 8, but this ogre's just been woken up by Qazlal's tempest and has clonked me one. Has he just gotten a lucky double-turn, did my noise trigger at the end of my 2.3 turn climb and immediately allow him to spend his turn attacking, or have I spent 2.3 turns standing at the top of the stairs on level 7?

i don't know how stairs work

Starkwheat
Feb 27, 2012

Frobop posted:

Team Dont make the wrong choice has one spot open if anyone is interested. Play as serious or as casual as you like. Open to all skill levels.

code:
# TEAMCAPTAIN Miron
code:
# TEAMNAME Dont_make_the_wrong_choice
# TEAMMEMBERS Palyth Frobop GIRLIRL Jenzors

Reserving the spot. Excepting three wins at minimum during the tournament. Game-name is Starve.

Regarding the ever-eluding team name for kaschei: Abyss My Assassin.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sage Grimm posted:

- Distorted <foo>
- Banish the Haters

It's Writhing Masses of Primal Chaos, I think.

(It gets my vote, though, not that I'm on the team)

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Check-in for Ogrecoming Adversity: Foxfire, Pitch, MrDespair, LordErnie, rodbeard - just to make sure you all are around, still, too! And remember, you can play things other than ogres, just also try to get a good ogre win/score if you can!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

apple posted:

Speaking of Ever-Gnashing Radulae, being a cheibro + statue form + torpor snail has you moving 1 space every 4 auts or something. :wtc:

44 aut, yep. It could be worse, though. If you're in statue form, max chei piety, statue form, slowed, flash-frozen (antaeus, chaos champions), being grasped at by roots (shambling mangrove), and moving through water, it can take (empirically) 119 aut - just shy of 12 normal turns - to take a single step!

But that's silly.

scalded schlong posted:

Also:

I've climbed upstairs to level 8 to check out bits of the floor I can't have explored yet - the level has two discrete bits, all the upstairs to level 7 are in one bit. This is me exploring the other.

Climbing up has taken me 2.3 turns, as a centaur. I thought these turns were taken on the level I entered the stairs, level 8, but this ogre's just been woken up by Qazlal's tempest and has clonked me one. Has he just gotten a lucky double-turn, did my noise trigger at the end of my 2.3 turn climb and immediately allow him to spend his turn attacking, or have I spent 2.3 turns standing at the top of the stairs on level 7?

i don't know how stairs work

Stairs posted:

Taking the stairs has two parts. The 'leaving' is implemented as a 'delay' - you take a 5 melee EV penalty during it and it can be interrupted. It lasts 1.0 turns. The 'entering' lasts 0.66 turns (if you've never been here before) or 1.33 turns (if you have) and is simply waited out on the other side. Haste/slow will change these durations.

This confuses everyone! Not ideal.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 28, 2014

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

PleasingFungus posted:

44 aut, yep. It could be worse, though. If you're in statue form, max chei piety, statue form, slowed, flash-frozen (antaeus, chaos champions), being grasped at by roots (shambling mangrove), and moving through water, it can take (empirically) 119 aut - just shy of 12 normal turns - to take a single step!

But that's silly.

:psyduck: What would happen if you slouched while moving that slowly? Would literally everthing explode into chunks or does slouch damage not scale that well?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Damnit, too slow!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Oh boy, this is exciting. I'd love to join a tournament clan if there are any open willing to accept someone who has never ascended or even come close to ascending! I'm paymentplan on CSZO.

apophenium fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 28, 2014

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Mr. Wednesday posted:

:psyduck: What would happen if you slouched while moving that slowly? Would literally everthing explode into chunks or does slouch damage not scale that well?

Slouch damage is (roughly) 4*[Speed Difference]. Meaning if you slouched at that speed against an average speed enemy, you'd do about 436 damage. Not sure if Slouch caps out, though.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Checking in for Seven Tentacle Salute/Louise's Loser Lineup/Agnes' Alliteration Affiliation. Maybe this year I can get all the unique kills! (I haven't seen Tiamat since 0.13 :( )

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

The Mattybee posted:

Ooh, I can get on board this if nobody else has.

My in-game name is Mattybee!

Done. Team Bad Crawl My Way is now full, and ready to kick some arse prod buttock maybe not actually die in the face!

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Ugly John posted:

Done. Team Bad Crawl My Way is now full, and ready to kick some arse prod buttock maybe not actually die in the face!

I can only promise to die in the face. Horribly. Over 200 times. Last game I got Abyssed in Orc and promptly ran into a hellion.

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

Starkwheat posted:

Reserving the spot. Excepting three wins at minimum during the tournament. Game-name is Starve.

Regarding the ever-eluding team name for kaschei: Abyss My Assassin.

Great, welcome aboard! Starve has been added to the roster. Please update your .rc with # TEAMCAPTAIN Miron when you're able.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Can someone give me the details on Beogh gifting equipment to follower Orcs? I seen him give shields and stuff. Does he also upgrade equipment that you give to your followers using the final power? I'm not sure if I should hold off using that power until I find a really huge meal ticket weapon like a branded Bardiche or if I should just go with quicker "upgrades" because I have named Orcs with great armor who are yet still holding terrible mundane whips.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Davzz posted:

Why are the new Spider tiles in Trunk so... oddly coloured? They look like they're trying to go for some weird stylized shading compared to the rest of the tiles.

Those new spider tiles look terrible and should be changed back to the old ones, which look fine. I have no idea why they were replaced.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Just as a note, there are 4-5 people asking for a team right now. You guys should just make a team.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Davzz posted:

Can someone give me the details on Beogh gifting equipment to follower Orcs? I seen him give shields and stuff. Does he also upgrade equipment that you give to your followers using the final power?

He does, yes! (Except for artefacts, which are un-upgradeable.)

Internet Kraken posted:

Those new spider tiles look terrible and should be changed back to the old ones, which look fine. I have no idea why they were replaced.

Actually, the new spider tiles are extremely good, and the only pity is that the trapdoor spider now doesn't match.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Sage Grimm posted:

- Distorted <foo>
- Banish the Haters

Not in the team, but: 99 problems but abyss ain't one.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I can't believe I just threw by unequipping my rC++ ring in ds(in FDA) to put on sustain abilities because I was sick of ability drain

I loving dropped Cerebov in the lava that run, there was no question of whether or not I could win

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Wolfechu posted:

99 problems but abyss ain't one.

We have a winner!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does the rot demonspawn mutation make you immune to rot effects from mutations while in lich form?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Does the rot demonspawn mutation make you immune to rot effects from mutations while in lich form?

quote:

rotting resistance[1/1]: Protects you from {miasma}, necrophage attacks, necromancy miscasts, potions of decay and other rotting effects. You still rot instead of mutating if you're undead. For the most part only undead, demons, plants and non-living creatures have this.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Totally forgot about the tournament!

I need a team. I don't care what the team is. I have about 50 wins under my belt, about 15 12 which are online. This is great timing too as I'm officially unemployed starting the 1st of September up until the 15th of September, so it's time for lodsacrawl.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 28, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
join the purple feast

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

join the purple feast

On that -- Who is the captain?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Wolfechu posted:

Not in the team, but: 99 problems but abyss ain't one.
Hey thanks! edit: this also gives us an ENORMOUS alphabetical advantage over the other SA clans (we're #1!)

kaschei fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 28, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

On that -- Who is the captain?
PanicAtNabisco, but FYI Zippy and Person Dyslexic asked for the 5th and 6th spots in the old thread.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kaschei posted:

PanicAtNabisco, but FYI Zippy and Person Dyslexic asked for the 5th and 6th spots in the old thread.

If they have dibs on them, then so be it. I'll not intrude. If one of the bails, I'll be on board. In the mean time, I still probably need a team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

PleasingFungus posted:

But that's silly.
:stare:

Double Statue Form. Go high-five Roxanne. Forever.

Where would Gastronok's hat and the Swiftness Kinda Sucks Now debuff fit in there?

Speaking of Swiftness... does anyone actually use it much? I remember seeing someone run a check that pulled the action-counts from winning games (or maybe it was known-spells at the end?) and showed that Teleport Other and Slow were very unpopular, as was Conjure Ball Lightning so this was probably before it it got buffed so this must have been 0.11b~0.13a era.

Good to see everyone is RC'd up and ready to lose. Did we ever agree on a new name?

• Locked thread