Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That is exactly what I intended, thank you!

Aesculus
16/16 AP

The tower was built, and with it he could see (hopefully) if any storms were brewing around this fortress. Aesculus moved to the Occulus array, bringing glass lens into contact with crystal, then with obsidian and then with steel. Gazing through he attempted to discern where the nearest and (if possible) the intensity of the storm. Spending some time working on that Aesculus eases out the tension in his neck and starts to make his way back to his central command.

But an early warning system is no good without an actual defence. Aesculus moved down to the teaming masses, moving himself through them as some through up the Holy Horns whilst others prayed to his father and siblings for aid, as well as thanking him. All looked cold and frightened, and with so many of the other Gods dead it was no real surprise. Seeing this Aesculus happened upon an idea, if he could get the people motivated and working it would give them something to work towards, especially if they could help with the upkeep of the city instead of sitting around.

He spoke quietly to several members of the other faiths before making his way to the largest plaza in Ascalon. Raising his mask so that people could more clearly here his voice he boomed "People of Ascalon, followers of my brothers and sisters, I stand before you as one of the few survivors of a horrific event. All of you have done admirably to survive this long and have proven yourselves as both fated and powerful, but I have a task for those of you brave enough to attempt the impossible. I wish to lead a small band of priests and followers to seek out some of my brothers and sisters, in this wasteland we shall all pull together to ensure that, once this nightmare has passed, we shall march once more to glory!"

Spending 1 AP to do my very best scrying and attempt to find anything of interest and/or any coming storms around my city, then using my divinity to try and assemble a team (lets call them seekers for now) who will aid me in the hunt for any sign of my lost siblings (please PM me if you want to make up any of them, I would like to collaborate on this if at all possible).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Ascalon - Aesculus

The Seekers mustered before the fortress city, each bearing a fragment of Aesculus' heat with them in the form of a hollow reed, tinderbox, or coals from his sacred hearth. Determined to seek out their God's surviving siblings they swore their farewells to friends and family, prepared to brave the Ice and what would be certain death. Aesculus himself sat at the controls of the Tower of Sight, looking through its apparatus one last time for signs of incoming storms. There were several, and one far beyond the horizon looked likely that it would head in his direction soon. At this distance it was hard to say exactly how long or how great the storm would be, but there was still ample time to prepare and reinforce the city's defenses against the cold.

Seeing no traits here in your scry action nor your recruit/inspire mortals action I'll be generous and write some in as appropriate: Aesculus uses his mastery of +2 flame and +2 defender to search out those members of his city/sacred priesthood which are the most dedicated to his service or bear the touch of his sacred flame! (+4) Roll success! The Seekers a group of mortals bearing Aesculus' flame to sustain them (along with ordinary rations and their own martial training) has been assembled to search the lands of Ice for signs of their lord's surviving siblings!

Your other action is a scry action which also has no traits listed but spends AP. So I'm guessing you want to spend AP and non-divinely operate the +2 Tower of Sight, letting it do the heavy lifting but giving it extra gas for effect. Roll success! Your city/region is safe from the threat of Icestorms for now, but there will be one coming soon possibly in 2 scenes/rounds or as many as 4. Intensity of storm is anybody's guess, but it's a given that unprotected mortals will die horribly when it hits.

Wallastra

Wallastra's surviving citizens had been making do by using dwindling stores, unsure if trusting to the possibly supernatural origin of the Ice was worth their lives. It seemed that everyone had heard about someone catching ill or freezing solid overnight after drinking snowmelt. Confirmed facts were rare, beyond the fact that any sign of sickness was essentially a death sentence and that hot washing was a fondly remembered dream. The urging of their God however drew a few brave souls together to make the effort for the greater good.

Wallastra's voice guided them, giving instructions as to how to gather and boil the Ice in the hopes that doing so would make it safe. The volunteers consigned their souls to Wallastra, taking their lives into their hands as they drank and waited. Nothing. Time passed and nothing specifically averse occurred, although one of the experimenters reported a craving for hot tea instead of lukewarm water.

Your action afaik is to divinely command/inspire a small section of the populace to experiment with eating snow/ice melt without doing anything particularly magical to ensure their survival or safety. An excellent plan! Roll success! They look ok! (probably)

Wandering in the Wild - Amaguq, the Lone Hunter & Parelle

"I have divined no source for the Ice's coming, and others have told me the same regarding its origin. It has no will for you to deceive or outwit, Trickster. Where it crosses us or we cross it there is only death or the longer death of fleeing its presence." The Old God prodded the fire with a heavy stick, turning the last embers over as they slowly dimmed and died. "I will not join you, for I have seen the passing of Gods greater and more clever than you by far who attempted the same and were frozen for their troubles. The most hope I can offer you is this,"

He laid the stick across his lap, the dark wood adorned with runes and glyphs which crawled and drank the light. Amaguq's ears flattened as he heard the low rumblings of the earth beneath them, and Parelle's feet began to tap impatiently or perhaps in fear.

"I will swallow you whole. I hold in me the weight of many, Gods, spirits, or otherwise. It is easier by far to keep this old body warm than a million separate ones, and with the souls in my charge I plan on returning to the Mother's heart. There I will cast my final spells and lay my final wards, to sleep until the Mother wakes or die as she freezes dreaming. Everyone lives, or everyone dies. I can think of no better end."

Don't need a roll to see it but if you want to throw to scan the obvious magical artifact he's pulled out feel free.

Weichtenstinkenden Durcheinander von einer Stadt - Warlord Bismark von Trippletrow, The Blight of Suffering, Savior of Pain, The Smugfather

Bismark furrowed his mighty brow, concentrating his attention across the vastness of his empire in search of the earth's hot blood. The dwarves in ages past had dug deeply for it in their mountain holes, using its flow to heat their cities and forges before he'd driven them out by force, root and branch. But the mines had long run dry and cold, the iron-hungry industries of the Empire drawing men in from all over to plunder the mines until even the magma had been drawn out, cooled, and picked through for precious resources.

Elsewhere the Empire was flat and wide, with deep soft soil beneath and hard taiga above. That land now froze and its inhabitants were too busy dying to care about what lay beneath their feet, having never been a people for mining or advanced metallurgy in the first place. The Central Plains had no magma closely accessible to the surface.

There must be some, somewhere! Determined not to give up he poured more of himself into the seat, strengthening his bond with the land and searching doubly hard in the region around himself. Nothing. Nothing unless he delved deeply and deeper than he'd ever seen, to depths which he'd never even conceived of much less laid claim.

+4 Seat of Power, +2 Eastern Empire, -2 Sprawling Empire (that's a lot of ground to cover even for a Lorax with a Cerebro-chair) and 1 AP- (+4, 1AP) to scry for magma pockets close to the surface (and hopefully) close to the Imperial capital Weinerstinkville. Roll success! There's fire mountains and the like around, but nothing conveniently close to the surface in the relatively flat Central and Eastern Plains (the latter of which is coastal and untectonically active swampland floodplain anyway). You'd have to dig very, very deep, deeper than Bismark's ever gone or laid claim to. Or get better at geology. Or magic up some fire.

Beneath - Piper, Father Of The Scurrying

Piper called forth to the dark and verminous life Beneath, and from the darkness a vast swarm of things answered. He chittered and squeaked, releasing pheromones riddled with his divine energy and listened patiently to the sharp, quick thoughts of the swarm in return. He tamped down his own instincts at the close proximity of so many others, food and threat alike, and instead guided their minds with his superior will towards a single end. A new home. A better and safer one with a ready source of food nearby...

There. There was a place that was well protected from above and beneath, with plenty of fresh food and water and many dark places to hide. But unfortunately like all truly good places, another already occupied it. Piper's ears flattened and he reflexively pressed down against the ground onto his belly as he saw the darkened shape through the minds and eyes of the vermin. The Six-horned Rat nested in the space beneath one of the last living mortal cities, defended and fed above by the waste of the upper dwellers and safely hidden in the spaces between their fortifications against beasts Beneath. It wasn't fair. All of his life Piper had been the one pushed from choice spot to spot, making way for others in lieu of driving them forth but now that he finally had a family and children of his own, now that he'd found the perfect spot for them to live, somebody had already taken it!

Piper casts: Scry Underground +8, -2 FOOD!, 2 AP - (+6, 2 AP) Roll success! There's a really good place that's apparently perfect. It's unfortunately already occupied by another Rat God. You do know exactly how to get there in good order though.

Larissa - Thaisaidain

"You little bitch! You think I'm afraid of you?"

Muruk actually was quite afraid of Larissa and the way he fled, ducking around pillars and hastily transforming and reforming before her strikes as he cast about in search of allies or escape made his bravado quite apparent. She cornered him and smiled, cracking her fingers before advancing slowly. This would be good. She was going to drain him until nothing was left but dust.

"I am Darkness, I am Power! I slew your kind in the greatest mortal Ages of Man!"

Not to be outdone in the quick by a jumped up vampiress, Muruk reached back into his history and the experience of his mortal life as a priest. Between his hands a darksome but brightly destructive Sun blossomed, and the hordes of Thaisaidain hissed and flinched before its light. The unholy sun gave her pause, but as a God her speed and power were on an entirely different level. Larissa blurred as she leapt, reappearing some distance away with the rebellious priest's heart in hand. She grinned as she squeezed, drinking the last dregs of his power as the leavings ran down her cheeks.

LARISSA +4 Attack/Defense. Muruk chooses not to attack, electing to cast a spell: Unholy Sun with 8 AP +2 Vampire Priest!
Larissa attack, Muruk defends. Defense failure! Muruk dies, spell is interrupted! Muruk (+4) is drained for 2 AP, destroying him permanently! Muruk had no free AP to take!

Batjullik - Vendruck & Malador

"MARQU HAEDEDU!"

At Vendruck's command the sappers detonated their charges, neatly blowing out the ground beneath the entirety of Arthak's attendant Gods and army. The cave-ins, smoke, fire, and other surprises left by the dwarves over their careful preparation was as merciless and lethal as the Ice, and those of the horde who found themselves not killed outright by the blast were quickly dispatched by crossbows from the now-exposed tunnels. The lesser Gods of Arthak's army fared no better, only one having the foresight and quickness of thought to fling himself in the air ahead of the massive explosion and he bobbed unsteadily as the toll in mortal lives and loss of his compatriots drained his powers.

Safely up front with the Dwarven hostages, Arthak was unscathed but shaken by the sudden loss. Flushing and foaming at the mouth with his rage, he raised his sword and channeled the power of his divinity in response.

"TREACHEROUS LITTLE COWARD! HIDE BEHIND YOUR WALLS, THEY'LL NOT STOP MY FLAMES!"

A great river of flame burst forth, bursting through the entrance of Batjullik and flooding through the defenses and ways into the city beneath. The city was burning! Vendruck groaned as the pain and terror of his children reflected back at him, their dimming lives taking a fraction of his divine power with them. Vendruck was safe in his armour of war, but his children had no such wondrous defense nor the ability to breath the soot-blackened air swiftly filling the tunnels.

"DOG! Get beneath and kill the Dwarf's children! Kill them all and we'll make our next army of their corpses!"

Malador gasped, picking himself up from where the flames had smashed him flat against the hot, now-melted stone of Batjullik's gate. The seven smears arrayed in a semi circle before him confirmed that this had been a terrible place to stand after all, but he watched as the lesser God slipped into the tunnels of Batjullik and the screaming began.

This reads as an attack against Arthak's army/assorted Gods as opposed to the Big Guy himself. Vendruck(+8, 2 AP) casts Cave-In! Might be a much smarter move in the long run since directly opposing Arthak makes the chance of the roll succeeding a bit dicey. Arthak's Army attacks/defends with +4 (Blessed) Army, Enslaved Gods 1-4 attack/defend with +2 Lesser Gods I'm not bothering to Name!

VENDRUCK spell attack/ARMY defends, ARMY defense spectacular failure! ARMY is annihilated! AP drain occurs due to loss of persistent worship for ARTHAK!
Enslaved God 1 defends, defense successful! No damage!
Enslaved God 2 defends, defense failure! Death of God!
Enslaved God 3 defends, defense failure! Death of God!
Enslaved God 4 defends, defense failure! Death of God! Pantheon failure!

ARTHAK is drained of 5 AP! ARTHAK loses 1 (-2) rank due to Pantheon failure! ARTHAK is still good to fight! ARTHAK casts River of Flame through the entrance to Batjullik, spending 4 AP!
DWARVES defends, bonus from Batjullik (Dwarven Stronghold) defense failure! DWARVES suffer -100,000 losses! VENDRUCK suffers -1 AP due to loss of loss of worshipers/persistent belief!
BATJULLIK (Dwarven Stronghold) defends, defense failure! BATJULLIK suffers damage and becomes (Burning City)
MALADOR defends (+4 Hellwarden), defense failure! MALADOR takes two ranks (-4) of damage!
MALADOR'S GUARD defends, defense failure! MALADOR'S GUARD annihilated!
VENDRUCK defends (+8), defense successful! No damage!

ENSLAVED GOD 1 enters the under city, attacks DWARVES with +2 Won't Bother Naming defends same, bonus from Batjullik (Burning City). (+2 no AP)
DWARVES defends, bonus from Batjullik (Dwarven Stronghold) cancelled out by Batjullik (Burning City)! Defense failure! DWARVES suffer -50,000 losses!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Wallastra
12/16 AP

Interesting, the volunteers seem okay, no adverse effects thus far, a craving for hot tea seems to be a normal response to drinking something ice cold I would reckon. To be on the safe side, we will wait a little longer to see if there are any effects after the water passes through by natural means before we consider taking this any further.

It would be improper of me to risk the life of my charges, and not look into this further. I will extract a lump of ice of my own, can I sense or feel anything wrong with it? It looks like ice, feels like ice, smells like ice (I think, does ice even have a smell), and just for completion sake, I will see if it tastes like ice. Carefully though, it would be most embarrassing for one's godly tongue to be stuck to it.

Welp, the human test group did not immediately keel over and die, better try this poo poo myself! Nothing can go wrong with this plan!

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 28, 2014

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Isath, Northern Wastes, Icestorm

Isath did not like what it sensed - it did not like any part of it. The storm would grow stronger, and it would last much more than expected at first. No, waiting it out was out of the question.
Redirecting it? Isath toyed with the idea at first - making a clearing in the storm with a blast of focused light, then using a gigantic lung-like organ to shift the winds... but that idea was too complex, too fraught with possible points of failure - and what a failure it would be! The wager was life itself, and Isath was not about to gamble when the stakes were so high. Not when he could achieve a more or less predictable result.
Isath roughly knew where the storm would go. Those sounds at the edges were unsettling - they were an unknown, and unknown was bad. But as long as Isath acted fast, and decisively, things would be alright. This, Isath hoped.
Isath remembered something it had noticed while travelling the icy tundra, a long time ago. It had noticed there were no worms, for the layer of permafrost did not allow it. The trees had grown over the millenia accustomed to this, and so they thrived without worms. A settlement of northmen that had come to the place, had come with their own practices of growing things in the soil, and one of those practices was using worms to make the soil fertile. But the northmen had not anticipated the fact that the worms were an alien species in that place. The worms disturbed the soil in a way the trees did not like, and the trees died. Some small god of trees or something similar (probably long dead by cause of the Ice, now), had grown angry at this, and punished the men. Isath, not wishing to waste anything, ate the men, and the worms, and the sheep, and the dogs too.
Now, taking refuge in the ice, it thought of the worms, of how they disturbed the soil. And Isath started growing downwards, not letting his guard down, but drilling down into the permafrost with a lance of pure burning light and rock-hard bone behind it. A thousand jagged legs scuttled behind. Isath was going down, and then up again. Out of the way of the storm.

Turning into a giant drill-worm with thousands of digging claws and a piercing drill made of pure focused light, drilling down into the earth and resurfacing a good distance away from the storm, and at a place where my storm sensing spell forecasted would be clear. Then, if everything is clear, I'll continue my journey southwards, but out of the path of the storm. Flesh +4 and Light +4. Also Megastructure -4 because moving around like a worm is not exactly Isath's specialty.

Spending 1 AP

14/16

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Parelle

Parelle waits patiently, outwardly ready to move, but inwardly pleased that Amaguq is all right. Her wandering feet are ready to move again and she has chosen the Kingdom of Man as her destination with the purpose of bringing any decent living being through the snow to her destination.

She glances at the item handed to Amaguq and assesses it, but even if offered she'll beg off as it is his with a cheery wave of a gloved hand. "It looks interesting, but I want to be on my way. You are of course welcome to accompany me friend Amaguq. I plan on moving south towards the Kingdom of Man and picking up any needy soul on the way in hopes that they may find shelter with me, and if you wish, with us. Maybe the climate is more hospitable there. And, well, if it isn't, we can make it so." She bows her head, touches her glove to forehead and then heart to the old god in a gesture of respect and looks to Amaguq, makes a gesture with her head that says denotes her direction and she sets off.

"Just let me know if you get hungry," she says as she shoulders her pack.

Moving towards the Kingdom of man as detailed in this post. Quick assessment of the item with any relevant god powers, but I'm not sure which would apply. Going to be traveling with +2 travel, +2 hope, +2 food and drink, +2 warmth to make the journey. I'll be extending these powers to anyone I pick up, but if we get loads of people to the point that they would interfere with the coverage of my powers I'd like to stop and reassess so no one gets too messed up.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
AP 13/16

“Aragggh!” Piper roared in anger, stomping around the caverns and swishing his mighty tail. “Starts with that bit next time!” he thundered to no one in particular, as most of the summoned beasts had scattered during his tantrum. He nose twitched tempestuously as his mind twisted and turned through the rat maze of this new problem.

“Mine.” He whispered to himself, unsure of the word and the feeling associated with it. Jealousy? Contempt? Desire? “It should be mine” he said again, more sure of himself and his goal. “I needs it and I wants it and it's mine!” His mind turned down another corridor as he anticipated the invasion, the assault and the kill; he was almost ready to give the marshaling order when he ran into a dead end. 'We'll be coming from Beneath'. Now that was a snag; if Piper attacked he would smash himself and his children against the very defences he wanted to hide behind. That hesitation enlightened Piper; he knew nothing. He didn't know anything about this Six-horned one, his disposition or the disposition of his brood if indeed the Horned one had a brood. He didn't even know what the place looked like beyond the vaguest senses of his tiny cousins. Piper only knew where this wondrous place was, but that wouldn't help in taking it.

“Maybe... cop-er-ration whats we need?” Perhaps this Six-horned one could be reasonable. If this new home was so great, there should be plenty of it to share. After all what was a little space between family and though they might be very far removed from each other, they family nonetheless. Piper became more at ease with this idea; cooperation was a key facet of survival especially with the great cold up above. But then again, selling out your compatriots at the first sign of danger was pretty useful for survival as well... Despite this rather bleak thought Piper was decided; he would come to this Six-horned rat with the best of intentions, dedicated to joining forces to better survive that dangers of the world. If he was rebuffed? It would not be the first time in history that rat had slain rat.

Although he was decided, Piper still felt an unease in his very core. The journey would be a short one thanks to what information he had garnered from the tiny beasts and it would be as safe as any traveling through the deeps could be. But there was still a niggling fear that he could not shake and through their bond, the Scurrying themselves were quickly falling into doubt. Piper knew what had caused this fear, but he was loath to admit it. Surrendering to truth though, he acknowledged that his children were practically defenceless as they currently stood. If the Horned one did become an enemy Piper could fight without hesitation, but if his enemy had a family as well his Scurrying would also be drawn into the fray. His children were just that, children, unfit for battle and war and though conflict was a part of survival Piper had been negligent in the Scurryings preparation. But the obvious fact was still there, he could not risk an open siege against this other Rat while his children were so unprepared.

Piper sat down and suppressed the shared link as much as possible; he was returning to a far darker time and he would protect the Scurrying from those realities as much as was reasonable. He was young, barely a week from his mothers milk when the first crime was committed against him. A gang of smaller tall ones had attacked his family home taking his mother and several of his siblings. The smaller ones put them in a bag, tied off the end, and smashed them with a rock. Rustling and nattering filled the caverns, as the children felt Pipers rage even though the restrained bond. Piper shifted his focus away from that though, barely containing his emotions to focus on the rocks. Useful, smashing things that they were, the caverns were littered with rocks and stones leftover from the burrowing that had made the caverns somewhat habitable. Sharp claws and teeth were useful for the biting and the clawing but not so good for the smashing. From the rocks of his memory came the hands of the ones that held them, but they were no longer nasty and soft tall one fingers, but the clawed digits of the Scurrying. Smash, the rocks struck the bag, no longer holding desperate rats but the vile humies. SMASH, the rocks struck the bag, trapping the deep things that hissed and clawed. SMASH went the Scurrying, striking the bag again and again, a righteous furor guiding their actions. SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH the bag with the rocks now bloodied with viscera of the Scurrying triumphant.

Fully opening the bond between them Piper stood in front of his children, picked up a hefty rock and smashed it into the ground. Thousands of angry, inquisitive minds saw him and the rocks strewn upon the earth.

I fully expect the Six-horned one to be a pleasant and useful ally against the Fimbulwinter and the Ice. Just in case I'm wrong, I want to teach the Scurrying the very basics of tool use, particularly the uses of hitting things with rocks. Now a lot of rodents have been known to use tools and this is some caveman level stuff right here, so I don't think Butchered race should apply. Plus, I'm teaching it in a pretty simple way to the Scurrying. +2 Survival By Any Means, +2 Scavengers Cunning and +2 King Of The Survivors are the obvious ranks, but I think I could argue about +2 Deep Pits And Dark Tunnels applying here, since if there's one thing that’s pretty common down in the deep it's rocks and stones. Piper only has to claw at the walls for a bit to make a whole load more. I will also put 2AP into this, just to really nudge the idea of tool use home.

Ending AP 11/16

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Amaguq, the Lone Hunter

"Walk well upon the earth, Young One," he says to the departing Parelle, "and may the Ice never find you."

Amaguq then nods his head respectfully to the Old One, even as he sniffs at the stick. "I thank you for the most generous offer, but I will continue upon my chosen path, even as you continue upon yours. If I fail, you and those you contain may indeed be the last hope for all Life. I wish you success, then, but even moreso I wish that your success will not be necessary." With that, Amaguq prepares to go on his own way.

Everything New Under the Sun [+2] (plus one AP) to divine what the deal is with the Old One's artifact. If it has to do with Trickery (or if the Old One is trying to trick me himself) I should get an additional [+4}, and if (as I suspect) it has to do with physical movement or the movement of souls (e.g. from their original bodies to within the Old One) then I should get an additional [+2] for Inbetween All Realms.

Incidentally, given the carnage at Batjullik I am very happy that I have no followers to tie me down to one particular locale and/or get killed and shaft me out of my AP.

Ending AP 9/16

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Vendruck

9/16 AP

There was a fine line between a berserker rage and the all consuming anger that comes from great tragedy. It was a kind of white hot clarity that seared at Vendruck's mind. In an awful logic he assessed the situation.

If he went to defend the city against the godling, whom he could probably kill easily, Arthak would slaughter many of them.
If he went to defeat Arthak first, the godling would have a freer reign in the city. There would still be losses.
Then there was the matter of Malador, whose purpose was unknown to Vendruck but he did not seem an ally to Arthak. Or maybe he was, and Malador was simply a fool...

He had choices, but there was only one he would take, every time this scenario was presented to him. He go for the head and hope the rest of the body would wither away. He'd need to be decisive, burning much of his power to assure a quick win. Vendruck had a few seconds to say quick words before he leapt into battle.

"You want to talk your fool errand later, fine, slay the pathetic overlander and we'll talk."

Then Vendruck activated two devices, the first was a grappling hook and the second was a kind of contained explosion in a tube that could be used to propel someone or something quickly. His plan was to knock Arthak down into the pits where he had the advantage and the barbarian would be weaker. Vendruck had his great hammer, which while was purposed for crafting things could also cave a man's skull in. Dwarves had always favoured the larger heavier weapons, they suited their lower centre of gravity and their naturally dense structure.

Like a cannonball, Vendruck struck out using the grappling hook to guide him and the rocket to propel him.

Attacking!
Artificing [+2] for the grapple + rocket combo to get Arthak underground.
Dwarf [+4] combat is traditionally done with great hammers, axes and other two handed weapons because of their low gravity and tough strength. A hammer of which Vendruck posses...
Underground [+2] terrain is where Vendruck is stronger, and I expect, Arthak weaker.
AP [+6] because I want to kill this rear end in a top hat now, and PDQ combat favours quick overwhelming strikes that gut an enemy's chance to defend and strike back.
Total: +14

Defending!
Dwarf [+4] bodies are tough and resilient.
Underground [+2] terrain is no problem for Vendruck, and he can use it to avoid blows as well as stage surprise attacks from any direction.
Total: +6

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Larissa
Thaisaidain

Her rage replaced with jubilation, the Vampire Queen had to stop herself from skipping while she traversed the deathly silent throne room to rejoin her "nobles," trailing Muruk's shattered carcass behind her. More than a few looked incredibly worried, which pleased her even more. What an excellent day it had been (reports of massive loss of undead life due to communication problems aside, which she'd totally forgotten about for the time being). Luckily, she'd thought of a way to make it even better.

"Well, so much for Muruk. What an idiot!" More than a few of them had been in on his little scheme, but Larissa wasn't worried about that anymore. They probably expected her to kill them, and she probably should have. But she was just in too good of a mood to bother with it. They'd just seen firsthand what will happen to them if they defy her. And now, it was time to show them what will happen after she's defeated them.

Yanking Muruk's corpse up by the head, she used her claws to carve away the bone and sinewy bits around his spine, until all that remained was his head (which she'd need have to flayed later) and spinal column itself. Absentmindedly rubbing a portion of her chest that Muruk had blasted a hole through mere minutes before (thank Herself for vampiric regeneration), Larissa walked along one of the columns to stand upside down on the ceiling, so as to afford all assembled an excellent view of the ceremony to come.

Concentrating for a moment, centering herself, she began to pour some of her power and malice into the grisly trophy. Larissa wanted it to be as magically significant as it was sentimentally important - after all, her new staff represented her first victory as a God.

---

Turning Muruk's remains into an artifact. Specifically, she wants to use Muruk's longevity + arcane prowess to forge his spine into a necromantic staff, hopefully to use repairing and bolstering her legions. It'd be the least he could do for her in his finaldeath.

Undead [+6] - Using a slain enemy to make an evil artifact that aids the undead. Think this falls under Undead pretty completely.
Muruk's Remains [?] - Corpse of an ancient vampire priest, figured I'd at least be sure to bring it up around this part of my post.
New At This [-2] - I increasingly hate this trait. Never made an artifact before, therefore -2 to the attempt.

Spending 1 AP (12/16).

Rauri fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 30, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Malador

Why did Malador not step aside? The King of Hell rarely got into war with other gods. Or perhaps he was just arrogant and presumed he would not be attacked. Or perhaps simply single minded in seeking a judge for the task of judging souls. Whatever the case, he was mistaken. When the fire cleared from the barbarian's attack, the King of Hell stood, eyes glowing an angry red between the remains of his honour guard.

"I normally do not intervene in these things." he said, in a hard voice. "I am banned from killing these gods' followers. However..." His clawed hands clench. "Those followers are already dead. And I was dealt a blow first. And so..." The King of hell moved quickly, any veneer of grace tossed to fire for now. He was the King of Hell, and he had plenty of might. Coming up behind the enslaved god, he glowered. "You are a god, and so I am not to be in judgement of you. But the pledge breaker called you dog, hm?" A single movement was made, and chains appeared out of nowhere, circling to try to wrap around the enslaved god. "Then I will put a leash on you."

Take the Damage to Wishbringer and Prosecutor, taking both to 0, attacking with Warden of Hell +4 to chain up Enslaved god 1, add 2 AP for an attack of +6 in total, however, trying to not kill him. Okay with weakening him, but staying a final blow. Defend with Warden of Hell +4

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 30, 2014

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

The Scurrying slept peacefully in a vast furred concentric ring around Piper, and when he stirred they moved with him. First unsteadily, eyes still blinking and mostly shut from the warm muster of sleep but increasingly more energetically as he squeaked and hissed to himself and the verminous throng, radiating raw power. *smack!* Piper coiled in towards himself, raising the stone angrily and more forcefully, *Smack!*

He shouted, incoherent but still understandable to his children, SMACK! A thousand hands reached for bone or rock.

SMACK!

A thousand pairs of eyes followed the movement of his arms as they arced and swung.

SMACK!

Shrill cries echoed through the cavern, punctuated by a symphony of loud crashing.

SMACK!SMACK!SMACK!

Action is successful, Scurrying are now familiar with the basic applications of blunt tool use. Anything more complex than rock bigger, rock harder, bigger rock is best rock will require further research.

Seeing Vendruck coming Arthak swings his sword around in a wide arc, catching the edge of the cable and flinging the Dwarven God off course in a burst of raw divine force as their two weapons collide. Facing the full fury of the Dwarf Lord unsteadied him, but he hefted his blade and shouted two words before sinking it heavily into the stone beneath his feet.

"DOG. DODGE."

The impact of of Arthak's blow cratered the ground around him, collapsing tunnels and threatening entire sections of the city as the megastructures supporting Batjullik began to buckle and crumble. Beneath the surface the Dwarves screamed, choked, and burned as a cloud of flame seeped through the city on the heels of the collapse and rampant fires causing casualties in a cascading effect of falling buildings, burning rubble, and fiery air.

Malador stirred, moved to action not by the mass suffering of the Dwarves but by the dictates of his own self-interest. He lashed out, chains and manacles forged in Hellfire uncoiling as they snapped and clasped at the unsuspecting God but as the other dodged from the shockwave of Arthak's blow he also slipped aside from Malador's strike. The enslaved God blinked in surprise, recoiling in fear and alarm as he shouted above.

"Master! Another God down here! He's stronger than me but still weak!"

VENDRUCK Attacks using (+8, 6 AP), Defends using (+6)! ARTHAK Plays it Cagey, Defends using (+10, 4 AP)!
ARTHAK defense failure! One rank (-2) damage dealt!
ARTHAK Attacks BATJULLIK!
BATJULLIK (Dwarven Stronghold/Burning City) defends, defense failure! BATJULLIK suffers damage and becomes (Megastructures Crumbling)
ENSLAVED GOD +2 casts spell, (persistent) Inferno Cloud against DWARVES!
DWARVES defends, bonus from Batjullik (Dwarven Stronghold) cancelled out by Batjullik (Burning City), disadvantage from Batjullik (Megastructures Crumbling) defense significant failure! DWARVES suffer -50,000 losses! VENDRUCK suffers -1 AP due to loss of loss of worshipers/persistent belief! (persistent) Inferno Cloud is now in effect and will damage (mortal) units within Batjullik until it is dispelled!
MALADOR attacks using (+4, 2 AP)/Defends +4!
MALADOR attacks ENSLAVED GOD +2, defense success! No damage!

Wandering in the Wild - Amaguq, the Lone Hunter

The Trickster waved brightly as the young God left the camp, quietly wondering if he should do the same. The staff that the Old One held was a Soultaker, a powerful weapon from an earlier age where blood and sacrifice was the common currency of Man and God alike. In close range to the Old God's power and whatever enchantment had been cast it made his teeth ache. The enchantment, he was sure by now it was some form of mind-effecting spell, still proved elusive despite his best efforts to identify it. But perhaps it was merely defensive, a show of strength like the Soultaker since the Old One held such a rich treasury of souls within him. In the hard-bitten and often vicious North it was likely that other encounters with Gods starving and cold or otherwise would have led to outright conflict and murder.

Parelle had walked away, seemingly safe. Could he do the same?

Turns out it's a +4 Soultaker. It's a magic stick with a lot of bad mojo. But it looks like it's ok! He's totally being cool about letting Parelle walk away. Could not identify exact nature of enchantment upon area.

Parelle - Wandering in the Wild, Icestorm

Parelle glanced at the staff, unsure what to make of it but wondering in some deep part of her mind what it did and just how dangerous it was. It was probably pretty dangerous, and having said her goodbyes she set out on her path towards the last kingdom of man mentioned by the wolf. She had a likely guess of where it was by his description and if anything she was well provisioned to take her time and find it if she didn't.

Humming a cheerful tune and chewing on a strip of dried meat to keep her energy up she strode purposefully across the tundra when suddenly she was buffeted from her feet by a gale of ice and snow! Before she could react fully it was already upon her, Parelle had been caught by the outer edges of a fast-moving Icestorm! She turtled in, cupping her hands to her face in order to maintain some semblance of sight in the deep flurry. Wait, was that people? There were people out there, and it looked like they were trapped too!

PARELLE (+8) casts spell, Cheerful helpful walk southwards! Roll failed! PARELLE encounters a wild ICESTORM! There are mortals also trapped by the ICESTORM!
ATTACK, FLEE, or OTHER?

Wallastra

Wallastra studied the ice carefully before picking up a handful and crunching it noisily and contemplatively. He waited, and waited for another long moment for any signs of magical attack or enthrallment. A cup of hot tea would actually be pretty good in this situation. Nothing particularly out of sorts appeared to occur, so he took another handful and tried again. Nothing save the sensation of a cold mouth and throat now well wetted. It was probably safe.

The test subjects around him took his shrug and silence as assent, and followed suit to no ill effect.

Wallastra, no active traits or special magical attempt in play consumes a fragment of ice. Nothing really happens. Seems ok? If it was an active threat/attack I would have automatically filled in defensive traits for you.

Isath, Beneath Northern Wastes, Icestorm

Worms are soft, flexible things full of articulating sacs and without any substantial organs or dense structures or particularly delicate sensory organs. Unfortunately for Isath, it had all of those things and the massive weight of its bulk with supporting inner structure to boot. But Isath groaned, stretching long and soft as it converted what portions of its flesh that it could and drove them deep beneath the earth. It would need to go deep, quite deep in order to avoid the painfully dangerous loss of heat due to contact with the Ice, and on top of that develop a method of displacing the hard stone and soil without causing harm to itself. It's tip flashed, blasting through the earth as the rest of its mass oozed, contracted, and followed.

The world Beneath was a lightless place, and vibration and magnetic senses abounded as Isath made its journey. Unused to subterranean travel it was making a great deal of noise, and as it poked its way through the frozen ground some distance away from the storm it felt the answering tremors of something large or particularly dense moving up through the partially collapsed tunnels it had left in its wake.

ISATH (+4) used TM04 Burrow! It was successful! ISATH has escaped the storm! ISATH has received the impression that its journey through the earth did not go exactly unnoticed. It's very possible another deity-class being is coming from Beneath!

Larissa - Thaisaidain

Grinning to her audience, Larissa poured the will of her divine might into the remnants of Muruk's body. Her eyes flashed and the flesh boiled away leaving only the empty skull that she held carelessly between her fingers. Yes, a necromantic staff with which she could bolster her command of her legions. Something tasteful that would also accentuate Muruk's suffering. She reached for the energy of his soul, forgetting momentarily that she'd already collapsed and drank it straight from his unseating heart. Surprised at the lack of support where she expected it Larissa cast out in a panic, catching the last flickers of the necromantic blight she'd left irradiating the room with her earlier blast. Muruk's spine and skull glowed, twisting and turning in on itself as it reshaped and reclothed in flesh according to whatever strange dictates her surprise and inexperience had led her.

LARISSA (+6, 1 AP) attempts to create an artifact: Staff of Necromantic Prowess! MURUK has been drained of AP/Traits, and his corpse no longer holds quintessence!
Roll... not quite successful! LARISSA has created a mysterious life form, SKULLSERPENT!?

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 30, 2014

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Parelle

The winds howled and blew and though Parelle could (maybe) see people further within the storm, she knew that this storm was unlike anything that she had seen before. There is a moment of indecision before she decides to run, protect the mortals and lead them out of the ice storm back in the direction she had come. She couldn't be useless anymore. No, not anymore, she needed to make a difference, she needed to prove to herself that she could do something.

And so, she struggled into the storm to take the mortals out, fools and children all.

"Follow me! You're almost out!"

Parelle is fleeing and trying grab the mortals, escape the ice storm and then find a better path around it. +2 travel to get the mortals and herself quickly out and away, +2 warmth to help everyone stay warm, +2 food and drink to help her own endurance and +2 hope to doggedly help others soldier on. Playing it cagey for an extra +2 and I'm spending 4 AP on defense as I get away.

However, -2 [not taken seriously] may apply as well since there are mortals involved. I'm not going to stick around though, if they decide not to follow me I'm not sticking around to get frozen by the wild ice storm and will be leaving the way I came.

15/16 AP originally, 4 AP spent to get away leaving me with 11/16

8+2+4-2=12 plus the roll.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Wallastra
12/16 AP

Perhaps the ice then was just a side effect of some other force, rather then the source of the world freezing. Still I will continue to wait if there are no side effects to the ice.

What else is there to do today. Let us contact the city watch, have they discerned why the intruders from earlier stole from the library? And hopefully at least washed them down a little, the method they were brought in was very undignified I will admit.

What else is there to do today? Check on my prisoners, poke around the city for any more outstanding issues. I guess I can use [+4] - Voice of the People for this.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 30, 2014

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Parelle reached for the mortals trapped ahead of her in the storm, using her all of her powers in tandem to hasten their passage to her with the warm sense of home. A flurry knocked her over mid-incantation, and she found herself quickly becoming disoriented due to the swirling snow and all-encompassing ice which bore down on them all. Which way had she come from? She was still plenty warm, the storm being weaker than others she had heard of but she was keenly aware of the real danger it posed should she relax her guard or take another spill. She lifted the half full skin of spirits to her frost chapped lips, squeezing in a deep draught as she concentrated her powers towards staving off the cold.

"Help us! Are you... are you a God? Save us please! Lord! Master! We'll do anything!"

The mortals had gradually caught up with her, a ragged convoy of men, women, and children astride their furred livestock. A long line of frozen and quickly buried forms trailed behind them, and those nearest to her fell to their knees and ground their faces into the snow. The spirits lent heat and powerful purpose to her step, and she noted with surprise as the mortals crawled forward and begged for salvation. Not knowing her name, they directed their desperation and belief at the most powerful thing still standing and unfrozen within the Icestorm and the heady scent of their devotion whispered to her of greater things.

PARELLE (+6) Plays it Cagey, electing not to attack but cast a support spell: Warm Road Home!
Spell is resisted by ICESTORM +6, roll successful! Spell fails!
Wild ICESTORM +6 attacks, PARELLE (+10, 4 AP) defends! Defense successful, no damage taken! drat Parelle is really warm and confident right now. She looks so awesome standing there unbowed from the cold that she's instantly picked up the worship of the mortal dudes gradually making it her way!
PARELLE gains mortal worshipers Storm Refugees (population 10,000) Condition: Freezing to death!

Wallastra

"Gods."

The wizard spat, his still stained and dirtied beard clinging to his chest as he strained against his bonds.

"The last resort of the feeble-minded and lazy. Does your God wipe your arse for you too since he tells you when to poo poo and drink? You whoreson bastards! It's their kind that caused the Ice in the first place! Release me immediately! Believe in nothing beyond your own power and that of other Men. No Gods! No Kings! Only Men! We have nothing to lose beyond our bon-"

The watchmen shoved the gag back into the wizard's mouth and shrugged at Wallastra.

"That's pretty much all he says, Lord. When he's not trying to cast spells or work his way out of his bonds anyway. His friends are all the same way."

Turns out Wizards are pretty anti-God. And also may have played the hell out of that one Bioshock game or read through Marx back in freshman year of university, saw the kicking rad beard and totally run with it.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Vendruck

3/16 AP

THE EMBERS OF YOUR DIVINITY WILL FUEL THE FIRES OF MY CHILDREN'S SURVIVAL! Vendruck screamed at Arthak as he continued to beat on him, his mind focussed on murdering him and ending the danger to his children. This crime would never be forgotten or forgiven. Or permitted to occur again.

Attacking!
Dwarf [+4] combat is traditionally done with great hammers, axes and other two handed weapons because of their low gravity and tough strength. A hammer of which Vendruck posses...
Underground [+2] terrain is where Vendruck is stronger, and I expect, Arthak weaker.
AP [+3] because I want to kill this rear end in a top hat now, and PDQ combat favours quick overwhelming strikes that gut an enemy's chance to defend and strike back.
Freaking Out [+2] KILL KILL KILL!
Total: +11

Defending!
Dwarf [+4] bodies are tough and resilient.
Underground [+2] terrain is no problem for Vendruck, and he can use it to avoid blows as well as stage surprise attacks from any direction.
Freaking Out [-2] KILL KILL KILL!
Total: +4

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Parelle

Parelle shivered, not from the cold, but from the sudden wave of devotion. Headier than any alcohol and warmer than any fire, yet it didn't burn. She was astounded by the mass of followers in a single place as they worshiped her all at once. Perhaps she had this many total spread out on the roads before the ice came, but never had she been the target of such fervent worship. There were no words to describe it, and their awe of her was shared by her awe of them. She couldn't let them die. Not one more. Not while she could stop it. Nor would she let them see her cry from the first time of being overwhelmed in such a way.

Her tears wouldn't freeze, but then again, all of that ice that had been stuck to her face thawed at the same time. Lucky that.

Around her the snow melted beneath her feet and revealed the ragged earth beneath. She saw the closest person that prostrated herself and sighed softly, "This won't do at all," she said to herself. She was used to simple gestures of faith; small oaths of thanks. She picked up a an older and shivering woman from her prostration in the snow and to her feet. "You don't need to bow to me," she said, and hugged her tightly. Her words were gentle, but rang in the ears of all as she picked up another person, a young boy. "Just wait," she said, and whispered into his ear - All of their ears.

"I will tame the storm."

Parelle took a few moments, cleared her head, took a drink to settle her nerves and to calm her shakes, and focused on the storm. She reached out a frost covered glove and attempted to tame the wind. Or at the very least, a small piece of it.

So a lot of text, but this is a big deal as I'm sinking a ton of AP into it.

Parelle tries to tame the storm. Note that I say tame. Not calm, not fight, but tame. I want a pet +2 wind god sans ice. +2 travel to dissipate it in all directions to make it more manageable, +2 hope because this -has- to work, +2 food and drink for a fortifying drink of delicious warming cinnamon spirits to make wrestling with it easier, alcohol for courage, +2 warmth to take the snow and ice out of it. I am adding another 6 AP and flipping out for another +2. Not subtracting non-violent, because as far as she knows, it's just a storm, and she isn't burying an ax in it.

So 2+2+2+2+6+2 = 16 plus my roll. More than double the traits and only two under what it could possibly roll before I even roll myself.

Defending with all of my attributes in case this doesn't work in much the same way, though it'll be at:

8-2 = 6 plus my roll. Taking a big risk. Go big or go home. I did the math, and unless I'm extremely unlucky this will at the very least damage it enough to be handled without further powers even if I get beat up.

11/16 AP remaining before the action. After spending 6(!) AP I'll have 5/16 left.

Anyway, with all of the power in this I want a pet +2 ice storm after defeating it, but not with the intent of destroying it. There's obviously divine power in it, or at least its power is on that level. I'm going to harness it instead of just outright destroying it. Of course, nothing possibly could go wrong with this. Nothing at all. Nope.

If this isn't possible I'll just still it and bask in admiration if I can stop the darn thing. Or die horribly if I have done something foolish.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Amaguq, the Lone Hunter

Amaguq thinks carefully. The Old One had shared his fire. He had not engaged in any hostile actions toward himself or toward Parelle. And he had released Amaguq despite having a firm grasp upon him while he was recovering from the Icestorm. All of this led Amaguq to think that this Old One did not desire a confrontation. But still, there was a strong enchantment upon the place that Amaguq could not identify, and that made him nervous.

No, it was not in the nature of a Trickster to trust anyone. So he would test the Old One, to see whether he truly intended to let Amaguq depart peacefully.

"May Mother-Beneath-Our-Feet protect you," Amaguq offer with an air of finality to the stonily silent Old One. The dying embers give one last pop, scattering bright sparks as the wolf turns and slinks off into the shadows. As "Amaguq" departs, Vicissitude's true self rises with the sparks, floating far enough away to be out of immediate danger, but remaining close enough so that he can gauge the Old One's response.

Amaguq is engaging in a little bit of bait-and-switch. The sparks are for misdirection, to cover his transformation from wolf to a tiny hovering gnat; meanwhile an illusion imbued with a sliver of his divine essence takes his place. The form of the wolf is intended to look and smell and feel like Amaguq (hence the AP expenditure), specifically to determine if the Old One is going to attack when he thinks I'm not looking. Meanwhile, the real V is effectively invisible and out of the line of fire -- and perhaps importantly, in the form of a flying creature who is not in contact with the ground, since that is clearly the Old One's domain.

Trickster Spirit [+4] is obviously in play, as is Inbetween All Worlds [+2], since I'm moving to where my enemy is not attacking. Also, gauging the Old One's heretofore-mysterious intentions and making a split-second decision about the best course of action most definitely requires me to think on my feet, so Everything New Under the Sun [+2] applies as well. On top of that, I am not the slightest bit interested in going on the offensive unless I am attacked first, so I'm also Playing It Cagey [+2]. Unfortunately, the Old One seems to know me well, and is therefore likely to expect such behavior from the Trickster God, so Spirit of Chaos [-2] probably works against me as well.

Total is +8 (plus 2 AP) to avoid being attacked while simultaneously presenting a tempting target for the Old One, should his intentions prove to be hostile. If not, and if the Old One simply lets "Amaguq" depart, then we're all good. No harm, no foul, and Vicissitude will simply go on his way for real, floating away with the last of the campfire's smoke...

Ending AP 7/16

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 1, 2014

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aesculus- Ascalon
15/16

The seekers were heading out into the wastes, looking for his brothers, his tower had been built to show him what more was coming and now his forge priests simply needed to gather the followers of others together for research. A good days work thus far, Aesculus thought as he wandered the streets. His citizens looked on in something approaching awe as he moved past, before he stopped and looked directly upwards. Of course! How could he not have seen it before! Picking his feet up and pounding towards the forge he sent a messenger for, what was her name again? I will need to keep notes, Carrosh!

He made his way to the forge and began sketching out plans for a divine dome to cover the roof of the city. There had already been defences against aerial attack beforehand but a true defence against the weather was now needed. It would need to be strong and allow sunlight through to reach the growing pits, but sturdy also, it would also take time to construct, and would mean that the people had something to do other than tend to farming animals and feel worried about the death of the Gods.

Beginning designs for a grand dome to cover the city. This is going to take a lot of resources and time, but should provide a very good [+2] defence against weather, in particular snow and so on. The dome is going to be made of glass and be able to be deployed from various metal pylons around the city, it is also going to be heated from the grand forge and/or innate fire magic. This is a long term project, so I will probably be working on it in the background for a little while, but for now I am going to be setting out designs using Metal working[+4] and Defend [+2] in order to begin the work.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

AP 11/16

Piper let the full force of his pride shine upon the many through the bond they shared; it would not be long until the Scurrying were building burrows that rose out of the earth like the tall ones on the surface. For now though, a more conventional home was needed. Now that his children wouldn't be totally defenceless against the horrors of the deep, cat-based or other, Piper was confident enough to start the trek toward his potential new home. But just before he began waking the Scurrying from their war-bound reverie, a thought struck him. 'A gift might smooth things over'.

He hissed and screeched at himself and quickly fell into deep contemplation. “Many space there, maybe not with food? Maybe share space but not food.” The thought made Piper angry, but the trail of logic continued, unbidden. “Prove we can gets foods ourselves, then share space?” There was a deep rumbling from the pit of Pipers stomach; the bones of the cat-thing had long been consumed and it had been many minutes since his last meal. There might be a few snackables to find on the journey and if a few were left over, well that meant there could be the possibility of sharing. And if this Horned one wasn't in a sharing mood, there would be something to eat during the attack.

Let's set off to find this Six-horned Rat. During the journey, I want Piper to be on the lookout for potential sources of food; moss, lichen, fungus’, small creatures, slightly bigger creatures, particularly nutritious dirt. Anything that might make a meal which can either be shared with the Six Horned Rat to promote an open and frank dialogue, or feed any potential siege action. +2 Survival By Any Means, +2 Scavengers Cunning and +2 Deep Pits And Dark Tunnels are all obvious ones but it's also possible +2 King Of The Survivors could apply. Piper is the the King and it is the duty of the subjects to sacrifice themselves for their liege. Plus the things that scurry aren't the only survivors; any lichen or moss that can make it down here has got to be in the top 1000 of survivors. -2 FOOD! is also the very obvious one here. No AP spent for this one.

EDIT: Come to think of it, since the Scurrying are moving and are likely going to be responsible for holding all this food we're supposedly gathering, -2 Butchered Race should probably apply as well.
+4 Total (No AP)
Ending AP 11/16

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 1, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Warlord Bismark von Trippletrow, The Blight of Suffering, Savior of Pain, The Smugfather

14/16 AP

Nothing. There was nothing that would work. Neither Earth nor Fire were his domains to control and reaching out to those elements would be... strenuous. Where there any Gods of Fire still alive? Did the Fimbulvinter claim them first, seeing an enemy? Bismark cast his godly senses across the globe, he would find the barest hint of Godhood and hopefully recognize one who could kindle flame.

Just a short post from me. Spending 1AP and using all my domains to find sparks of Godhood all over the place. I say all my domains because I'm essentially using my Godly essence to find where they might be. Especially hoping to find one who can play with Fire.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Malador
AP: 14/16

"Hmm... fire hm? That might be useful in the days to come." The King of Hell pondered as the other god dodged out of the way of the chains. The suffering of dwarves did not phase him. To cause suffering was his duty, so he could hardly have a distaste for it. "But yes, you are weaker than me, and your master is about to be killed by Vendruck. He killed three of your like in one attack, if you're concerned about survival, you should consider surrender about now. Clearly you do not care about oaths and pledges, or you would not be here."

With those words, the chains moved again, attempting to wrap their way around the other god's arms.

Attack: Warden of Hell +4
Spend 3 more AP to make the attack +7

Defend: Warden of Hell +4

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Wallastra
12/16

Wizards...

I think I need to see what is in that book, and hopefully it will still be legible.

Let's read what was actually in that book, so much so that god hating zealots would break into the library to get it or get someone else to read it. [+4]Voice of the People

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 1, 2014

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Weichtenstinkenden Durcheinander von einer Stadt - Warlord Bismark von Trippletrow, The Blight of Suffering, Savior of Pain, The Smugfather

Bismark sat in his seat, contemplative and somber at what he had found. The situation was worse than he'd expected, but he reached out with his powers in search of a deity with the command of Fire that his Empire needed to survive the Ice. Drawing on the power of his soul, his eyes flashed and he sought out uses of divine flame across the span of Ice and ruin.

The last great God of Flame was locked in divine combat, bitterly contesting against the God of Dwarves as his life was hacked and chipped away wholesale. The battle was a mighty and fierce one, and either of the combatants would yet claim the day and murder the other as they grappled amidst the burning wreck of the last Dwarven bastion. Far to the North a tiny spark still flickered in the form of a young woman, slowly gaining in power and surrounded by the desperate worship of a throng of storm-driven refugees as she struggled to tame the Ice for her own ends. Beneath the earth a fell thing stirred, its baleful lidless eye flickering as it sensed Bismark's attentions amidst cthonian struggles upon which he did well not to look deep.

Aside from these, a multitude of tiny lesser spirits or godlings lingered, were elevated briefly by the wishes and hopes of the people, and died freezing in a chain of creation and death which was gradually coming to a slow standstill. Bismark cast his mind out across the world and found it cold. Peoples and Gods were freezing as their covenants failed, and the rate of that decline was increasing sharply as he watched.

I would argue that all of your traits do not apply to a global scry action. You're holding Warmaster, Commander (specifically noted as telling Men what to do), and The Empire (which specifically refers to your Empire). I'll give you Warmaster because it's your primary, and can presumably be used to piggyback off of conflicts and warzones involving other Gods as you search for someone who's using a Fire domain, and tack on the AP for your roll. Unless you're also using it to scry your Empire for Fire Gods, in which case I'll allow it but then the flaw for it being so big and complex would also apply but could have included the magic chair but it's probably a good idea not to in case the Ice comes boiling out of your rear end and freezes it apart...

Anyway roll success! And it turns out you don't catch Brain Freeze! Three hits, all pretty far in different directions. There's also a crazy amount of chaff being spawned/elevated out there as belief spikes as people worship whatever the hell is on hand to help them not freeze, but most of those die just as quickly and easily.

Wallastra

Leaving the wizard to his imprisonment, Wallastra pored over the clay tablet the thieves had taken. An otherwise unassuming item he flipped it over and over again in his hands as he read it, drawing on the long experience of the city's librarians past to fill in the blanks in his own thoughts. There was magic there, a subtle but powerful thing that mortal eyes would ignore or pass off as irrelevant but as he reread it he found the tablet fitting comfortably and with familiarity in his hands. This was a magical record from the First Age, a covenant between himself and the early Gods of his pantheon who had joined together to build the city in the first place. The recesses of his vanished memory stirred and he remembered it as if it were today. The five of them had stood together, split their palms and shed their quintessence, and sworn to always defend this spot in perpetuity to the last drop of blood and effort spent, never misusing the power of the spring nor allowing it to be used.

The spring! He remembered it vividly. It had been half of why there were people in the region to begin with, and by its nature and their efforts it oozed and bled supernatural power but so long as they lived and the city stood the seal would firm.

Wallastra has discovered a hidden artifact from the First Age! It is a +2 Ancient Compact which relates to the founding/construction of the city, and is an agreement between the five gods of Wallastra's former pantheon that they should spare no effort ever in seeing that the city/spring upon which it sits is held safe and inviolate. Apparently there's a magical spring which acts as a power sink for something sealed underneath.

"Fool! You're helping the Dwarf kill the last God of Fire! There's no oath here, we're burning the Dwarves to stay wa-"

Maladors chains snapped forward once again, overpowering the lesser God with a swiftness and ease that humbled the already broken spirit of the enslaved deity. He slumped, dispirited and not bothering to test his bonds. He slumped back, defeated and bitter.

"Kill me then, the last of my power is spent on his along with my name. We've nothing to stave off the Ice, you won't be able to imprison your way out of it. We're all dead either way."

Some distance away the battle between Arthak and Vendruck raged. Their blows shook the walls of existence itself as both combatants struggled, vented, and bled divine ichor which burned the stones of Batjullik white. Vendruck struck first, launching himself from beneath at the barbarian with his hammer before him in a mighty scream propelled by his rage. He smashed into Arthak but the Barbarian God stuck his sword into the stone between them, bursting into flame in response as he stood unmoving. Roaring his own defiance, he clasped the Dwarf Lord tight against his burning flesh intent on reducing the other to ashes by proximity alone. Neither budged, locked in the embrace of their mutual hate.

Trapped within their crumbling city, the Dwarves continued to burn and die.

MALADOR Attacks (+4, 3 AP) ENSLAVED GOD +2, Defends (+4)! ENSLAVED GOD +2 Defense failure, is subdued!
VENDRUCK (+8, 3 AP) Flips Out and Attacks, Defends (+4)!
ARTHAK Plays it Cagey Attacks (+4), Defends (+8, 5 AP)!
VENDRUCK Attacks, ARTHAK Defends, Defense successful! No damage dealt!
ARTHA Attacks, VENDRUCK Defends, Defense successful1 No damage dealt!
(persistent) Inferno Cloud damages DWARVES, bonus from Batjullik (Dwarven Stronghold) cancelled out by Batjullik (Burning City), disadvantage from Batjullik (Megastructures Crumbling) defense significant failure! DWARVES suffer -50,000 losses!

Beneath Ascalon- Piper, Father Of The Scurrying

The Scurrying marched as one horde with Piper at their head, dispersing and concentrating as his finely tuned subterranean senses directed them to strike out and harvest the tunnels and caverns beneath of any food along their path. Piper's children proved to be superb hunters and gatherers, and soon amassed a sizable stockpile of foodstuffs that they dragged with them in their journey with only a minimum of loss to hungry mouths.

Soon Piper found himself at the vaunted lair he had glimpsed through the vermin's eyes. Even in the darkness of Beneath its white stone and solid walls gleamed with divine purpose. He could sense the lives and activity of millions of souls, warmth and food aplenty. Though the Horned Rat remained unseen he sensed the presence of another God not very far above. The Scurrying stirred restlessly as they eyed the formidable defenses in the distance, noses scenting the fearful presence of other mortal beings.

PIPER travels towards the location of HORNED RAT, bringing the SCURRYING and casting the spell: Gather Subterranean Food! Roll is success! PIPER obtains an expendable item SUPPLY OF FOOD, which may be used to stave off mortal starvation for one round. PIPER has detected the presence of another God in a nearby zone!

Wandering in the Wild - Amaguq, the Lone Hunter

The Trickster gave up his lupine guise, slipping into the spaces between the smoke and the air in order to glean the true intentions of the Old God. He'd done it quite cleverly and smoothly, and even he admired the realism and animation of his decoy double. It moved like a real wolf, had the presence of a real God (although any pressure against it would cause it to crumble like the finest ash), and it looked just like him. He rose with the smoke, well pleased with himself but his blood ran cold as looked to the Old God beneath him.

"It seems the girl has calmed the storm."

The Old God stared directly into his eyes, clearly undeceived by the clever ruse. The Old God hefted the Soultaker and stood.

"What will you do now Trickster? Join her now that it seems safe? Flee? Or try to wrest my power from me?"

VICISSITUDE (+8, 2 AP) Plays it Cagey and casts defensive spell, Decoy Form! ??? Resists with +4 Soultaker, +??? Hungry Earth! Resist successful, ??? has seen through VICISSITUDE's spell, +0 DECOY WOLF was created! DECOY WOLF will dissipate after 1 scene, and responds to all actions by being destroyed on contact!

Aesculus- Ascalon

Something was beneath his city! Aesculus paused in the creation of the great dome as he felt the near presence of another God. A delegation of priests and watchmen raced to attend him.

"Lord, an army of monsters is approaching from beneath the city!"

The defenses of the city were steady and strong in all directions, and he knew that he had built it to withstand attack from beneath as well as above but still Aesculus worried. Was this the first of many such assaults he would have to weather in the future? How many Gods or armies were still alive out there, and how many would come seeking to take what was his for their own? He looked to the early struts and bearings for the dome around him. Not nearly enough, not yet, and not enough for any added defense value against an attack from below.

AESCULUS (+6) attempts to create a supernatural structure, Wondrous Dome! Roll not successful!
AESCULUS has detected the presence of another God in a nearby zone! Guards posted beneath the city's surface have reported sightings of an enormous horde of rat-like beasts!

"I will tame the storm."

Parelle stood tall and confident, repeating her statement to the wind as much as to steel resolve as anything else. Reaching out with her power she spent the greater portion of herself, taming the wild and icy abandon of the storm with everything that she had to offer. It twisted, bucking and flinging sleet and ice down at her but she found her footing and diverted its wild swirling strength apart in a hundred different easier paths. It froze her, knocking her to her feet but she clambered back up and warmed herself by the desperate hopes and wishes of the people now depending on her and before her the worst of the storm melted. The storm had no will of its own, no desire save ice and cold but as she wound herself into it Parelle's thoughts, dreams, and hopes found themselves embedded in the loose conflagration of atmospheric water and ice.

The air around them grew warm, no longer merely not as cold, and Parelle's worshipers found themselves agape in wonder at the miracle their God had wrought. The sky was silent, and the storm was calmed.

PARELLE (+10, 6 AP) Flips Out, casting an attack spell: Tame Storm! Defends (+6)
Wild ICESTORM +6 Attacks, Defends same!
Wild ICESTORM (+6) defends, roll unsuccessful! ICESTORM takes 4 ranks of non-lethal damage, ICESTORM was caught! NICKNAME? _________
It's a +2 Living Storm!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Brother Yak

These people were cold. They were sad. The same thing again and again. But now Brother Yak knew better, now he'd seen it before and he had an idea of what to do to make things better. He let out a big deep long lowe, then reared up and stamped both his front hooves against a tremendous boulder. The rock split open, and a herd of Yak came wandering out already harnessed and wearing ribbons in their hair. Brother Yak gave them a nod and said: "Follow me little ones, there are people a couple miles away who need us"

He took his place in the herd, the biggest nicest happiest best Yak in the front to teach the new herd how to behave for their new friends. And to teach their new friends how to take care of the Yaks' gifts. He'll keep a close eye on them for a few weeks just to be sure.

Summoning a herd of yaks to help out these poor unfortunate souls. 1 AP and +2 Passion

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Larissa
Thaisaidain

Well, that didn't go as planned. What now?

"Uhhhmmm... yes! Uh, Behold the... new... Muruk!" With that, she held aloft (since she was standing on the ceiling, this put it closer to the nobles below) the new Skullsnake.

Totally pulled that off.

Grand demonstration finished, Larissa swooped down to the floor and disdainfully tossed the pathetic Skullsnake toward the horde of Nobles. "This form suits him much better, don't you think?" She'd retrieve her new pet later, for now she wanted them to give the wretched thing a long look. Sauntering back to the Skullthrone, she draped herself across it, stretched, and then address the assembled Priests and Nobles.

"With that taken care of, I guess it's time for me to issue this order in person. Due to the endless winter, our food has grown scarce. Prepare yourselves and your legions, we're marching forth from Thaisaidain - to conquer lands rich with food and souls, lands ripe for the taking." The Vampire Queen pointed at Muruk's twisted frame, and then added, "This is a divine command, so we're all clear on this. Disobey, and you'll share Muruk's fate."

Declaration made and hopefully received, Larissa dismissed them to see to their preparations. As for herself, Larissa intended on using the days that the undead lords and legions spent readying to march (properly this time) out in conquest to recuperate. Maybe this way, they wouldn't know that Muruk had actually wounded her more than she'd let on - best to not have them questioning divinity.

----
Making a social attack against the vampiric nobles for increased loyalty / actually offering her their troops, as opposed to their current state of just offering up excuses.

Undead [+6] - She's the head of both the undead church and state. Her nobles are below her in both hierarchies. Most importantly, she's stronger than them, and has demonstrated that.
Skullsnake [?] - Hopefully it's not too goofy looking to serve as a horrifying reminder of the fate of crossing a god that wins combat but botches item creation rolls.

I don't feel that New At This applies, because she's been bullying other undead + giving orders to those weaker than her for millenia. Higher stakes this time, but still similar enough in practice. Feel free to apply it if you think it should kick in.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Warlord Bismark von Trippletrow, The Blight of Suffering, Savior of Pain, The Smugfather

13/16 AP

Hmmmm, the last God of Fire. And fighting the God of the Dwarves? Those bearded vermin... like worms that were drunk at all times.

"WILHELM," Bismark intones. "THE EMPIRE MUST PREPARE FOR THE FIMBULVINTER. WE MUST DIG, DIG BELOW THE EARTH. NEAR THE WORLD'S HEART WE WILL REMAIN SAFE AND WARM. THE WORK MUST BE SWIFT AND CONTINUOUS, PURCHASE EVERY SLAVE YOU CAN. SACRIFICES WILL BE MADE, BUT FOR THE EMPIRE TO LIVE, SOME MUST DIE."

He reaches out with one furred hand and Sanfte Schmetterling, his mighty iron warhammer, appears. Focusing on that distant speck that is the God of Fire, Bismark wills himself to be there to aid the God of Fire. Though he does not wish for the death of the God of Dwarves, if it must be so it will be.

Taking the God-train to Dwarf-town, baby. Not sure how to zzap myself there but I'm willing to spend 2 AP to get there and join in the fray. Warmaster +4 will help, but none of the others, really.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Batjullik - Warlord Bismark von Trippletrow, The Blight of Suffering, Savior of Pain, The Smugfather & Vendruck & Malador

Bismark knew how to teleport. Before the coming of the Ice he'd done it hundreds of times, to thousands of places mostly within his own borders (foreign countries were mostly boring and filled with pompous blowhard Gods anyway). Some part of his mind was aware of the deeply lethal risk he was taking teleporting directly across the Ice, especially as he risked crossing one of the horrifying Icestorms that he'd already heard so much about but hadn't seen but that small part was out-shouted by every other part of him which wanted that Fire God, and wanted him now.

The battle was spectacular and huge. It strained the very fabric of reality itself with the force of the conflict, and he found himself slipping easily and rapidly towards it and like a fantastic meteorite of war and glory he streaked across the skies, descending upon the field. Five Gods, three divine corpses, a dead army, a dying city, and a people burning beneath the tremors and clashing of their Gods battle to the death.

Teleport actions are free moves provided you know where you're going, you just run the risk of hitting Ice along the way and getting particle-hosed in transit which I will now roll to check against. I'll just go ahead and also apply +4 Warmaster and the 2 AP as a transport spell equivalent action then shall I? Roll is success! The Lorax is apparently too fast for freezing to death mid-teleport. Write yourself in, say hello, etc.

Larissa - Thaisaidain

Muruk slithered away, clacking his ridiculously oversized jaws together in meaningless noise and the assembled nobility rushed to part before him as if he were plagued. Which in a way he was, as the particulars of what she had done to him were yet a mystery to even Larissa herself. She sat back (un)comfortably and gave her orders, oozing confidence and nonchalance in a way that indicated she'd be just as willing to pick right back up and do the same again and her courtiers fell over one another to debase themselves before her throne.

Every House, every Crypt, every Noble opened their coffers, mustered their troops, and dug ancient weapons and treasures forth in preparation of the long march to come. Deep beneath the city ancient horrors awoke and forced limbs unaccustomed to movement towards their duly appointed regimental tasks. The city's mortal population of cultists, livestock, and slaves continued to suffer in silence, dying of starvation and disease in great numbers until they had been reduced by half.

Fair call, LARISSA (+6, +M) social attacks Undead Court +6! Attack is success! Turns out nobody wants to end up like Muruk. A weird creepy faced skull snake monster thing? Everybody's behind Larissa 110%! Your mortal followers are dying though, and a combination of frost and starvation is going to kill all of them off soon. Thaisaidain's population suffers a loss of -25,000 mortals

Central Plains of the Empire - Brother Yak

Brother Yak pawed and stamped at the stone and earth lustily and powerfully, and from it rose a mighty and wide herd of yaks who followed him down into the settlement. They came galloping forth, a vast herd which stamped and steamed in the cold air and collectively were enough that the shared heat of their bodies left the ground melted and pliable beneath them. There were a great many of them (the yaks) but herd instinct and natural cleverness led them to follow him perfectly and smoothly. As the biggest and friendliest yak he led the procession, and seeing him the shivering humans cheered.

"Oh thank the Emperor, it must be one of His miracles! A great herd of magical yaks have appeared from the earth!"

One of the men stepped forward and stroke Brother Yak's nose firmly, looking him over for burrs or signs of parasites.

"Brothers, get these beasts herded together properly, most of them will have frozen by nightfall but we can still make good use of the rest and in the least the women and children can warm up. Just look at the size of this one, he's a beauty isn't he? It's almost a shame we'll have to put them down."

Yaks created! The people kinda needed fire or something to make them warm, I mean they can use the yaks to keep warm but that mostly involves crowding in real tight amidst them or doing that one Star Wars thing... poo poo that's a lot of yaks. In theory they've got enough heat to keep themselves warm in the short run but still in the long run even a very large number of ordinary non-magical yaks will freeze to death in sub zero temperatures.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 2, 2014

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Parelle

Now tamed, the storm still roiled above, but the worst of its bite had been taken away. Her head swam from the effort and alcohol. That had definitely been the biggest thing she had ever done. She put her hands to her mouth and yelled up to it. "Your name is Pirsuq! Remember that! We're going to be partners now!" Then she nodded to herself, as if that settled things. Parelle and her pet storm Pirsuq, she mused. That made her first giggle, then wobble, and then fall back onto her butt from momentary exhaustion. "Good job being godly," she muttered to herself. Of course it was that exact moment when the sun peaked through the storm - Through Pirsuq, and shined down upon her in all of her glory, her rear profile in the muck and slush. She took a few breaths to steady herself before she brushed off the detritus, for the snow had begun to melt from the use of her power and rose unsteadily to her feet again. Still, the sun felt glorious and warm, but like that, it was gone.

As she turned to face her new followers she frowned. Many of them were prostrate again. Darn it. She was so tired that she almost snapped, but she steadier herself again, though this time mentally and emotionally. "Please don't bow. It's embarrassing," she said. She began to feel self-conscious from the worship now, and hoped to reinforce her earlier statements.

She picked up the same older woman from before, who either fell down from the run off of Parelle's power, awe, or perhaps she just slipped in the snow, and raised her up again. "No need for that," she said to her alone and then to everyone. "No bowing, no scraping or groveling please. Politeness will do. I'm Parelle," she said. She paused for a moment and checked to see if anyone actually knew her name, though she left off the honorifics. There was no sense in clubbing them with titles. She continued, "We're safe for the moment. Please see to your injured and I'll do what I can to make things more comfortable. If you need food, come to me and I'll see what I can do. After this I venture south to the kingdom of man to rescue more souls like yourselves, but before then, I'll tend to as many of you as I can so we can move."

Without any showmanship at all, she dropped her pack, dug through it and began to produce food and cooking utensils like any traveler setting up camp would do. Of course there was always more and though the food was only standard fare, she produced more and more. "Those of you can cook step forward when you're able, if you're able. We're going to make the first warm meal I would think any of you have had in a while."

She looked back up as Pirsuq, "Be good! Just stay where you are for right now, you can follow me when it's time to go."

She patted the woman on the shoulder. "Do you think you can help me?" and smiled. "What's your name? Where do you come from?" and with that, Parelle became as chatty as any potato peeling maid. She rewarded those who treated her like a person and not as an idol with bigger, warmer portions, a little alcohol and the choicest meats of what she had. To those who couldn't keep fear or awe out of their eyes she teased them with her ivory carved ladle and commanded them to do outrageously silly things. When this had the effect of them doing it anyway she huffed, gave her ladle to a small child and had him command the offending person until people started to tease him and laugh. She wanted to know these people, look for a leader, perhaps even a friend. A friend would be nice to have...

Seeing as everyone was dying, I figure that these people need some TLC. I'm whipping up a feast with +2 food and drink, +2 hope, +2 warmth to boost the health and spirits of the people here. Also getting the mortal cooks involved to promote a sense of community.

Telling Pirsuq the storm to hover above until I'm ready to go. Do I know anything about the particulars of it? Mostly I'm interested in getting the size down to something more manageable for travel so it doesn't get swallowed up by the next storm to roll on by. Maybe something in animal form? Or is it stuck as a storm?

Parelle is also just looking to know about these new people. Who are they, where are they from, what have they seen, good and bad, do they have a leader? Mostly though she's looking for companionship after losing her entire family. :smith:

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 2, 2014

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

AP 11/16

Something wasn't adding up here; Piper had a finely tuned sense for when things started going wrong thanks to the many years of near death experiences. The fact nothing was going wrong now didn't mean a thing compared to how bad things could go in the future. He had guessed a city might be involved in some way, with the Horned one tending home in the catacombs and sewers of whatever small settlement had survived the great cold. “Too clean for that. Humies using it all times so how could Rat God live here?” That didn't even begin to cover the most pressing question. “Who's on the top still? Cold up there to much for Horned god yes? Arghh!” He twitched in frustration and shouted “WHERE'S HORNED ONE? DIPLOMACY FOR YOU!”

He twisted and turned, moving his head at all angles to get a better look at the under-dark made by these strange human buildings. Frustrating him further, the thing on the surface had yet to move. 'Wait... Up above is surface and taller humans live there'. The sparks were flying but the fire wasn't taking. 'Rat live with rat gods and human with human gods. Rats down here and humans up there'. The gerbil wheel began to pick up speed. 'Horned one not down here... but god is up there. Not here with rats but is with hum... “NASTY LITTLE ONES TRICK US! RUN RUN RUN RUNRUNRUN RUNRUNRUN!

He screamed over and over and over again, his terrified yelling whipping the Scurrying into an unholy frenzy that trampled their way back through the old caves in the direction they just passed though. Piper followed, marshalling and herding when his children’s blind panic sent them scattering in the wrong directions. Suddenly, he whipped around, hoping against hope he had found the perfect spot; open on the one side with no cover for attackers with plenty of cover for himself, it might work. Survival meant nothing if your offspring didn't also make it and though Piper was loath to admit it, he would give his life to protect what he had bought into the world. If he had to die to ensure his children would live, so be it. This just better be the right spot.

I want to find the perfect spot to stay and wait on Josef. If anything gets closer then talking distance, I want the opening tactical advantage in either fighting or running away. +2 Survival By Any Means, +2 Scavengers Cunning and +2 Deep Pits And Dark Tunnels are again the obvious ones, with +2 King Of The Survivors also applying a bit more esoterically. A King lives for his subjects, afterall. Note, I don't want to make the opening attack. It's only if Aesculus wants a fight instead of a peaceful and calm dialogue. I'll also put 1AP into this.

Finding the best defensive location; +8 (1AP)
Ending AP (10/16)

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Isath, Northern Wastes, Surface

Isath did not have much time to rejoice in its survival, before it felt the telltale shaking that announced a coming visitor from the depths. Isath was furious, but more than anything, Isath was terribly hungry, and here was something big coming right at it. Would it be made of stone? Isath hoped not. Isath hoped for the warmth of flesh, so that it could be absorbed, taken in. In any case, the steps to take were the same. There was no running, no senseless posturing, no diplomacy. There was only the waiting maw, and its piercing teeth twisted into shimmering spears the size of temple pillars. Numerous organs vibrated with accumulated power, waiting to unleash deadly blasts of burning, blinding light into whatever was caught.
Isath affixed itself to the opening on the ground, its horrible mouth waiting for whatever was coming up. As soon as it surfaced, Isath would clamp down, chew, and unleash a blast of light so strong it would blind mortals for miles. If the thing was able to be absorbed, so it would be. If it wasn't, then it would be destroyed, as a threat. Isath hoped that a thing from the depths would be anathema to its brilliance, or that at least it would surprise it enough to prove a fatal mistake.

Waiting directly over the hole where the thing from beneath is coming up, with a huge open mouth full of jagged teeth. As soon as the thing surfaces, Isath will attempt to chomp down to catch it, and shoot a massive blast of light directed into whatever passes as its face - basically a huge bear trap that shoots a laser drill into your head. Flesh +4, Light +4. Aiming to absorb if possible, destroy if not

Spending 4 AP

10/16

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aesculus- Ascalon
15/16 AP

"Knee deep in metal and suddenly I have to deal with something else. Hold on to this for a moment my friends" Aesculus said whilst heading for the door "I think I have something to deal with."

As he slid down a ladder he began preparing for what these 'monsters' could be, they must be led a god of some description otherwise the creature would not have appeared on his senses but for it to appear now? Perhaps it wanted food, or shelter? If it did then the creature would either have to go through him or over his body. Aesculus began to tighten the straps on his armour, adjusting the helm so that it would be easier for the creature to know who they were dealing with.

He gathered some of his more trusted commanders and headed to the sewerage entrance, and began descending the ladder. "Soldiers, you have pledged to give your lives for this place, for us this is all that we can and must do, the people above must be defended and I will ensure that whatever happens we shall be remembered." With that Aesculus went down on one knee and began lighting the torches of the men who followed, infusing part of his divine essence into them to make their beams brighter and the fire sting more if needed.

"Follow me, and have no fear!" The steady sound of tramping feet filled the sewerage system as he began to feel the walls of this most ancient part of the city. Must remember to strengthen these in case of ice from below or attacks like this in the future, Aesculus noted. There was no immediate sign of the horde that was coming, not even bones of watchmen (which he had feared to find) and instead there seemed to be an almost overpowering silence.

Desiring to have a confrontation as fast as possible Aesculus roared into the Tunnels in the hope that whatever was there would hear "Who comes to the domain of Aesculus, warden of the holy flame, defender of the hearth and chief son of the Sky Father himself! Whoever comes before me make yourself known or flee back to whereever spawned you!"

Okay, leaving the whimsy dome to one side for now, heading into the tunnels and using Defender [+2] and Flame[+2] to augment my soldiers and myself, trying to find out what these monsters are and forcing them to come to me, yelling into the dark to try and find out where they are.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

AP 11/16

“Okay, talking. Good good.” Piper steadily but ever so slowly moved out from his defensive position, toward the voice that had boomed at him. Through their bond, he instructed the Scurrying to settle and return, to wait for him at this spot while a few others were ordered to bring the gift food with them. When he entered the tunnel to gaze upon the one that talked, he moaned in frustration.

“Is you the six-horned one? If so your rats is stupid; they can't count 6 from less then 6.” A small number of Scurrying stepped forward, the bravest of the mostly cowardly lot, bringing what food had survived quick fingers, quicker mouths and the mad dash away from this possible threat. Laying it slowly in the space between Piper and the man god, they quickly retreated behind the grand bulk of their father. “This is diplomacy gift for you. We can talk now?”

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Aesculus- knee deep in sewer
15/16

Aesculus almost laughed to see the scurrying creatures bring forth tribute to him and their god "I think this is a decent level of tribute to a man whose sewers you are currently occupying. And they are not my rats. They simply live near my fortress." creaking slowly to sit the God turned and said "stand back, this is an affair between Gods." The soldiers looked hesitant especially at the ugliness of the creatures that had come forth, but moved themselves to the far end of the sewer, perhaps just out of bow shot range.

"So, why are you here? And what do you want? There is little I can do for anyone at the moment, my supplies are large but I have no clue as to how long this cold will last and who knows how long I and my people will need food for."

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Beneath Ascalon, the Sewers- Piper, Father Of The Scurrying
AP 11/16

Piper was still taut with fear, but a pulsing energy was slowly starting to seep through him. Never before had Rat and Man spoke and although he was never one to mark precedents and honour traditions, Piper still felt the burden of rodent-kind, thousands of years from now judging his actions. But in a small, more rational part of his mind, Piper was at ease. The deal for space hadn't really changed now that the Six-Horned Rat wasn't in charge.

“Maybe you not the 6 horned one then. Rats here know there is one somewhere, thought he was god too. Doesn't matter though; your borrow, your talking. Nasty cold things travel up above, too cold to survive for us. Me and my children live down here in the warm and safety caves, but now it's not safe. Even nastier things are coming from the very deep and we can't dig a good burrow anymore. I asked rats and other skittering things about safe places, they all said here was the best; safe from nasty things above and nastier things below. We come for space not food, though maybe after this talk we talk about food instead?” Piper dared to sound hopeful, before moving himself back on track.

“Don't need human spaces. I'm a good teacher and a very good burrower” He said this with pride, remembering how far the Scurrying had come under his leaderships. Hitting things with rocks, genius. “We can make our own spaces but need a safe place to start from. Here is a deal; we stay down here in the filth water and the caves, building our homes. If the things from the deep come here, we warn you quicker and we can protect our families better together. If worse things happen up above where the humans live, you warn us and again we protect our families. If awful things come from below, you be our friends on the surface until it leave. If worse things come from up above, we be your friends down here. Protect each others families.” Mighty jaw tiring from so many unnatural sounds Piper was almost ready to finish, before he was struck by inspiration.

“You got many rats here, rats that eat rat and human food but your family can't eat rat food, so it's unfair. I can make sure rats only eat rat food, leaving your food for your family only. In thank you for this, you give me the rat food. Any rat that says no, also is rat food. Victory for both sides.” He was suddenly struck by an even stronger inspiration about how badly that could backfire. “Rats is hard to convince though, especially if the six horn is here and telling them to misbehave. But maybe if he is here we can have diplomacy with him too? Won't take any food from you until city rats start playing nice, though.”

Exhausted by this effort Piper sank onto his haunches. His mouth ached so much, he might not even be able to chew his next snack!

I don't need any food from Ascalon (but it sure would be appreciated. Especially anything that doesn't actually count as food for you). I only need a bit of starting space in a safe area so the Scurrying can start digging out their own home. In exchange, you get an early warning about anything attacking from the depths and a partner to aid in the defence of any assault. Plus, if you ever need to evacuate from the surface for a while, the Scurrying can probably dig out some space for you as well. Got to find out more about this Six-Horned Rat before I start anything major, though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Sewer beneath Ascalon- Aesculus
15/16

The creature was one of the strangest things he had ever clapped eyes on, everything about it was hideous, but Aesculus knew a creature that cared for its own and wanted to do the best it could, even if it was about as civilized as the creatures it lived with, the deal was useful and allowed yet another layer of defence on top of the patrols that visited this area. But this talk of a 6 horned rat... that was worrisome, perhaps he should offer some help to this creature and he began to worry about the possibility of the "worse things".

"Your terms are very agreeable, and I would be more than happy to aid you in finding safe harbour for your people. I can provide some help alongside a place to live though. I presently possess a single crystal from the eye of a clockwork owl, perhaps you would like to trade for it, to help you both keep the sewers clearer and to help you find this 'six horned rat?'"

"Of course I will give you time to think on this" Aesculus raised himself up on to his legs "Your terms are hereby sealed, none shall harm you as long as you and your kindred refrain from causing harm or additional distress to my citizens." Aesculus extended one gigantic mailed hand in the traditional grip given to seal a contract, though refrained from spitting on it in case the creature decided to do the same "I do not know your name? May I know it, creature, so that we may have a true compact between Gods?"

That all sounds awesome, but I have a shiny crystal to trade! I am open to offers, but really I would like your help on the surface in terms of making stuff and hunting stuff out. But this all sounds excellent. Bits and pieces of food are usually recycled in nurient vats for true emergencies, but there is some stuff that cannot be recycled and I will send that to you.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
^^^^^^^^ You two need to get some drat avatars. That garbage dick thing is irritating.
Warlord Bismark von Trippletrow, The Blight of Suffering, Savior of Pain, The Smugfather- Fighting Fire with Fire

13/16 AP

Before the burning city of the Dwarves, Bismark appears in a flash of red light and the sound of a thousand soldiers crashing together in combat, Sanfte Schmetterling clutched in both hands and ready to strike. He recognizes Vendruck, the haughty God of the Dwarves. The other must be the God of Fire. "FIRE GOD," Bismark intones with the voice of distant thunder, "I AM THE GREAT WARLORD, BISMARK VON TRIPPLETROW. PLEDGE YOURSELF TO ME AND TOGETHER WE WILL DEFEAT THIS ENCROACHING ICE. DENY ME, AND I WILL LEAVE YOU AT THE DUBIOUS MERCY OF VENDRUCK, GOD OF VERMIN."

A wild Lorax appears! He may be short, orange, and furry... but nobody would mess with that mustache. Making a mental attack, I guess, at the embattled Arthak with Warlord +4 and Commander +2 (the Voice of Command is a totally real thing as any former military member will tell you) and Playing it Cagey. In addition I'll be intercepting any attack made against Arthak, but not the other way around.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Wallastra
12/16 AP

Of course, how could I forget... The ice is sapping my wits as well as my strength.

I remember the other 4 who built this fortress, but their names escape me and that troubles me. What were their purviews, if I could be brought back with the faith of my followers, then can we bring the others back?

My presence alone is keeping the Ice out of our city just barely, but I fear for a time where my own strength would not be enough. This feeling of helplessness does not sit well with me, I have survived without assistance from others of my Pantheon for years, my pride would not allow it. But now I cannot afford such luxuries.

I shall use my Shiny new [+2] Ancient Compact with [4+] The Grand Design for this. This walls in this city are old, older then the populace that currently lives in them, the people may not be able to remember who these gods were, but the stones will, history has been engraved into them from the very first brick laid.

Who did I build this city with?

And what did we seal with it's foundation?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Beneath Ascalon, the Sewers- Piper, Father Of The Scurrying
AP 11/16

Spine bent backwards and tiny front paws moving frantically at awkward angles, Piper just managed to grab the other gods hand for a few seconds of shaking before gravity claimed its prize. “I am Piper, father of the Scurrying.” Gesticulating at the children by his feet, Piper continued. “These are the Scurrying.” Feeling something was missing, Piper asked “What do your children call you? And what do you call your children?”

Clockwork meant nothing to Piper but owls were quite familiar ('flying and sharp claws runhiderun!') The eye of such a hunter sounded valuable and eye jelly was a delectable snack of his youth. Piper was quickly becoming disabused with the meals of his past though, especially as he was becoming more familiar with the changes in size during his time underground. If humans were now smaller then him, how small would an owl be? And what about cats? “Got nothing good to give yet. Maybe you save that eye and we gift each other later, yes? Don't worry about horned rat. Not a god or you would have found it by now. Probably just a very powerful rat."

Once again, cooperation and reason triumph and peace is assured between rodent and man. We'll figure out a deal for the eye later when Piper actually has something of value to trade for it. Unless you've got a joint project you want to start on now, I've got a long list of stuff to get started on and 200000 halfwits to corral. If anything does comes up though we're neighbours now and I don't think anything is going to interfere with traveling somewhere in walking distance.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Vicissitude

Interesting, Vicissitude thinks to himself. Parelle seems to have discovered some secret to controlling the Ice. I shall have to learn from her when the opportunity presents itself. But there are more pressing issues to attend to first.

"When you bid me welcome to your fire, you declared there would be no harm save that which I brought myself," Vicissitude says to the Old One. "It appears you spoke truly." With that, he leaves the Old One behind, using his Divine power to disappear from the Wilds and to appear elsewhere. Meanwhile, "Amaguq" raises his muzzle to the skies and cries long and loud, summoning whatever Wolves or other predatory creatures might be within Divine calling distance.

TychoBrahesNose posted:

...if the Old One simply lets "Amaguq" depart, then we're all good. No harm, no foul, and Vicissitude will simply go on his way for real, floating away with the last of the campfire's smoke...

Doing as advertised. The Old One is not attacking, so I'm leaving him in peace. I got places to go and people to see. Well, not people, per se, but you get the idea...I'm Traveling to Thaisaidain. Inbetween All Worlds [+2] is my primary mode of travel, but Trickster Spirit [+4] and Everything New Under the Sun [+2] apply specifically to avoiding the worst of the Ice-related dangers. However, since the Ice is an inanimate force rather than a being I can deceive, Without Light, There Are No Shadows [-2] applies as well. Total is +6.

I cannot, however, resist one parting attempt at trickery as I leave the Wilds. The DECOY WOLF is not coming with me, but if it succeeds in calling any creatures to the Old One (especially, say, a certain Werewolf with a penchant for antisocial behavior), I'm hoping they find more than they bargained for.

Assuming there are no Ice-related issues with my Travel, once I arrive at Thaisaidain I am initially staying hidden from any undead present using Trickster Spirit [+4] along with Everything New Under the Sun [+2], for a total of +6 (plus 1 AP).

Edit: Ending AP 6(?)8/16 -- I subtracted 5AP for damage reduction earlier, but I actually only used 3AP at the time.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Feel free to respond to my previous whenever you get around to your own Josef. I'm just getting my action in now so I don't forget it later.

Beneath, the Sewers- Piper, Father Of The Scurrying
AP 11/16

With a deal struck and a land secure, the Scurrying would have their home! Piper and his children moved from the sewers with an easy gait, quickly collecting the rest of the milling Scurrying.
Ascalon itself encompassed an area deeper then the sewer that served it. These fortified catacombs would be where the great work would begin. Thick walls and small doors would protect them from the horrors of the deep until the pits and tunnels were tamed.

With gutso, Piper began to dig. The hard stone that the fortress-city sat upon was tough, but not tough enough to resist divine claws. The larger tunnels that connected the under-city to the underdark would need to be plugged in time, but that could wait for now; brooding quarters, living chambers, mating caverns and storage hollows all needed to be built. What food Aesculus had pledged would fill his childrens bellies for now and the Scurrying would live through these hard times with grace dignity poise something unique to them. And then they would have their home. And then they would eat in peace!

Start the construction of the first communal chamber of the Scurrying underneath mighty Ascalon, well fortified from every direction with plenty of opportunity for expansion as and when needed. It's got to be compact enough to be defensible and preserve heat, but spacious enough to encourage population growth and avoid disease and filth build up. The Scurrying won't have as much of a problem with that (especially with the Deep Dwellers blessing) but why cause problems? We've got to be aware of our neighbours as well, no good causing them a plague after all the good they've done us. I'll add improvements and expansions later on. +2 Survival By Any Means,+2 Scavengers Cunning, +2 King Of The Survivors and +2 Deep Pits And Dark Tunnels are all applicable in my mind. With a further 1AP to ensure quality of work.
Begin the construction of the Scurryings first communal living chamber: +8 (1AP)
Ending AP 10/16

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 2, 2014

• Locked thread