Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

J.theYellow posted:

I didn't know Dan Abnett was primary writer for this. He's done a LOT of scifi adaptive writing, including for Warhammer 40k. Used to do a lot of teamups with Andy Lanning for comic books, in particular the 2008 teaming of 6 different D-grade Marvel space-heroes that they called GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. That team lineup (minus Adam Warlock/Magus) ended up being the one they put into the blockbuster space opera with Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax the Destroyer, Rocket Raccoon and Groot.

Yeah, Dan Abnett seems like a great fit for this kind of game, what with his Warhammer 40K experience in bringing life to a grimdark far future. Another name I recognised from the writing staff is Will Porter, who will ring a bell to anyone who's been following the perpetually constipated zombie survival indie game Project Zomboid. As I understand it, while Abnett was in charge of the overall story Dion Lay and Will Porter were charged with creating all the neat little details like logs, world-building like Seegson's corporate history and other stuff that's easily missed but appreciated all the more when found.

Another neat thing about cast and crew: for the Nostromo DLCs (and Nostromo logs) they got the original cast, with the sole exception of (I think) Ian Holm to lend their voices for that extra layer of authenticity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

J.theYellow posted:

I didn't know Dan Abnett was primary writer for this. He's done a LOT of scifi adaptive writing, including for Warhammer 40k. Used to do a lot of teamups with Andy Lanning for comic books, in particular the 2008 teaming of 6 different D-grade Marvel space-heroes that they called GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. That team lineup (minus Adam Warlock/Magus) ended up being the one they put into the blockbuster space opera with Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax the Destroyer, Rocket Raccoon and Groot.

This explains so much about why I like both of these things.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

My only experience with this game is a stream where the player got lost almost immediately and so nothing happened for two hours. It's nice to see this from someone who actually has pre-existing knowledge of the thing!

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Extra Tasty posted:

My only experience with this game is a stream where the player got lost almost immediately and so nothing happened for two hours. It's nice to see this from someone who actually has pre-existing knowledge of the thing!

Oh, I do get lost quite a bit, but I have a vague idea of where I'm going most of the time. Helps build tension, if nothing else. The design of the station alternates between working against me with (justifiably) cookie-cutter corridors and working with me with nice, distinct landmarks as I go along, so my competence will be nicely inconsistent in that regard.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Slight derail, but they had Adam Warlock in Guardians of the Galaxy? They really should have put him in the movie, that would have been awesome.
Hey TomViolence, thanks for making this a subtitles LP, it makes the whole thing a lot more immersive and tense.
Good show so far chief!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I didn't realize the alien was that close even when you can't see it. Can anyone explain about how the alien's AI works? Why doesn't it just pop out and kill you with zero effort?

Funny that Dan Abnett wrote for this game, 40K is the reason I can't play scary space games like this. I played through Doom 3 and DMed a Dark Heresy game around the same time, and now all scary space games take place in the 40K setting in my head.

On that note they really need to make a first-person 40K game that doesn't suck one of these days.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Knowing how the Alien AI works will kind of ruin the game's atmosphere, I wish I didn't know how it works since it keeps the experience a lot more tense.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

TomViolence posted:

Yeah, Dan Abnett seems like a great fit for this kind of game, what with his Warhammer 40K experience in bringing life to a grimdark far future. Another name I recognised from the writing staff is Will Porter, who will ring a bell to anyone who's been following the perpetually constipated zombie survival indie game Project Zomboid. As I understand it, while Abnett was in charge of the overall story Dion Lay and Will Porter were charged with creating all the neat little details like logs, world-building like Seegson's corporate history and other stuff that's easily missed but appreciated all the more when found.

Here's an interview with Porter and Lay. Here's a part that's great and not spoilery, because we just got introduced to Seegson:

Will Porter posted:

In 1999 I spent a short while living in North Carolina, which is where – standing six deep in a chaotic McDonalds queue – I saw a sign that read ‘Why not ask about our orange drink dispenser?’.

It stuck with me because it was nonsense on so many levels, not least the fact that the term ‘orange drink’ was so brilliantly vague. But why would I care? Why would the people about to sell me a burger care? Who thought that question should even be prompted in me? The answer: most likely a dull meeting in a corporate boardroom far, far away (light years, one might say) from the ground-level consumer.

Maybe it was an executive fighting the corner of the drink dispenser division, maybe it was a clueless bully surrounded by Yes Men… Whatever the cause, it was something that no-one either dared to call out, had the heart to stop or had it in them to care about. It was someone else’s problem, and a minor detail.

Everyone lower down the chain of command must have known that Orange Drink Dispenser sign was ludicrous, but it came from the top – so it went unchallenged. It became a sign on counters nationwide to be ignored forever. Until, of course, it eventually became the android line ‘Why not ask me about Sevastopol Safety Protocols?’ in Alien: Isolation.

To me, this is the voice of Seegson. An ineffectual boardroom (forever leaking talent to the likes of Weyland-Yutani) sending out nothing but self-deluding missives that have little to no use on Earth – let alone for the real people suffering on a dilapidated space station floating alone on the edge of space.

I wanted to make them the masters of corporate double-think – stressing the ‘everything is okay, we value you’ propaganda while the executives themselves look for their next plum job and siphon off what remains of the company gravy train.

Space Stations like Sevastopol are Seegson’s white elephant, and even though everyone who works for them knows they’re doomed – the enforced company message that everything is fine has been drummed home, and disbelieved, until the inevitable has taken place. Ultimately, it’s the little guys – the real working joes – caught in the downfall.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Part3: Tyrannophallus Rex / FAILURE REEL

In which we get to know our new roommate. His personal hygiene leaves much to be desired and his eating habits are grotesque. Keep your head down when he's in a bad mood and don't go having any parties because he hates noise.

Dr. Kuhlman

A new friend we discover holed up in medical. Know those annoying NPCs you get in RPGs whose sole purpose is to give out fetch quests? Kuhlman is cast from the same mold. For the record, he does not have a problem.

Ransome

We haven't actually met Ransome, but we're getting a feel for his character nonetheless. Channeling Burke from Aliens, he's a corporate slimeball with shady motivations.

Dr. Lingarde

Senior medical officer aboard Sevastopol, Lingarde's vlogging sheds some light on our current predicament.

Pipebomb

A simple improvised explosive, notable for being the first gadget we can make that will hurt the alien. Extremely versatile, but costly to produce.

Stun Baton

Presumably meant for subduing large space-cattle, this prod is a powerful melee weapon capable of outright killing a human with one jab. However, its primary purpose for us will be stunning working Joes in order to finish them off with the wrench. Does nothing appreciable to the alien, aside from pissing it off.

Molotov Cocktail

Beloved by dissidents, protesters and guerilla fighters throughout the 20th and 21st centuries, the molotov cocktail has been updated for the spacefaring future by vastly overcomplicating its design. The plus side is that we can rig it for proximity and it's a source of alien kryptonitefiery death. The downside is that it's a costly device to make and shares many components with both the pipebomb and medkit.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 23, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
That's really cool you have to use the keyboard to type codes in. It really makes it more suspenseful that its not one of those games where you get the code and suddenly the door works like any other door.

Kinda disappointed at the lack of kill animations in the gag failure reel. I imagine it gets kinda annoyed after a while for you too. "Oh you're going to use your little mouth-tongue AGAIN?" Also the Alien seems to be fairly merciful and quick with it's kills.

The other thing that's helping me not be on edge all the time is the fact I am 99% confident in the main videos you don't get caught. So I'm not waiting for the jump scare.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 23, 2015

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I wonder if it'd be better to keep a few deaths in the main videos - you can cut and skip ahead past stuff that's already been shown, but keep at least a couple of the deaths. It'd probably have more tension for the viewers that way.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
The biggest crime of Isolation was not giving me an witty AU Ending in the Nostromo DLC if I decided to bludgeon Ash to death.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I like the LP so far. I could never play this game for myself, since I
  • am a massive scaredycat
  • have a terrible PC
  • am really bad at stealth games
  • have a poor sense of direction

I'm watching the videos in ten minute chunks, then pausing for a while to breathe. Does the tension ever let up, or do you keep playing tag for twelve hours?

E: The subtitles get more readable in the third video. Good work.

E II: Can you actually use the motion tracker at all on Nightmare, or is it borked beyond repair?

Philippe fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 23, 2015

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

John Charity Spring posted:

I wonder if it'd be better to keep a few deaths in the main videos - you can cut and skip ahead past stuff that's already been shown, but keep at least a couple of the deaths. It'd probably have more tension for the viewers that way.

Yeah, I was thinking that myself when I was compiling the failure reel. Some of the deaths are pretty visceral in terms of sound, so I might leave some in so you guys can get the full benefit. It'll keep you on your toes, too, hopefully.

EDIT: I changed up my video encoding to strike a balance between quality and filesize. Please do tell me if there's a noticeable drop in watchability as a result, as youtube has a nasty habit of munching pixels and rewatching my own videos in 720p is arduous thanks to lovely, lovely internet.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 23, 2015

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

LoonShia posted:

I'm watching the videos in ten minute chunks, then pausing for a while to breathe. Does the tension ever let up, or do you keep playing tag for twelve hours?

Medical's the first area where we get to spend some real quality time with the alien. It's also one of the harder areas in the whole game, partly because it's such a shock to the system, but also because it's so claustrophobic. Once the game opens out a bit more and we have more room to run around the difficulty levels off again.

LoonShia posted:

E II: Can you actually use the motion tracker at all on Nightmare, or is it borked beyond repair?

It's certainly useable, but the screen flickers and fogs up and occasionally gives false positives. Usually at the worst possible moment.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Great choice of music. :awesome:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I'm sure it has been said before but my God, I love how loving lovely 70s-future aesthetics of this game is. For some reason it is that kind of... crap clunky tech that appeals to me the most, not shiny lights or user-friendly keyboards with a voiced computer. Just utter, utter infuriating CRT screens with eye-straining glare, oil-rig tools and jerry-rigged devices. I don't know why I love that so much.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Watching this game with headphones reeeeeally ramps up the tension, holy poo poo.

Awesome job, TomViolence, thanks for this!

John Liver
May 4, 2009

SirDrone posted:

The biggest crime of Isolation was not giving me an witty AU Ending in the Nostromo DLC if I decided to bludgeon Ash to death.

!xobɒɿɒq ɘmiƚ ɒ bɘƚɒɘɿɔ ɘv'uoY ?ɘnob uoy ɘvɒʜ ƚɒʜw ,yɘlqiЯ

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game almost reminds me of the Clock Tower games (at least, the original one). Constantly hiding from an invincible, horrible creature while trying to explore a gloomy and frightening environment in between chases.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

J.theYellow posted:

Great choice of music. :awesome:

I was wondering how many people would catch onto me using a song about getting repeatedly hosed by a big dick. Also happens to be one of my favourites. With a handle like TomViolence you can bet on hearing a lot more 80s alternative rock, for better or worse.

Samovar posted:

I'm sure it has been said before but my God, I love how loving lovely 70s-future aesthetics of this game is. For some reason it is that kind of... crap clunky tech that appeals to me the most, not shiny lights or user-friendly keyboards with a voiced computer. Just utter, utter infuriating CRT screens with eye-straining glare, oil-rig tools and jerry-rigged devices. I don't know why I love that so much.

It certainly makes a refreshing change from everything looking like a slick, clean iPod. The game wouldn't have quite the same ambience if my access tuner had a touchscreen or all the doors ran off facial recognition tech. The save terminals in particular put me very much in mind of punching in at my old job, though the game's admittedly not quite as stressful.

Octolady posted:

Watching this game with headphones reeeeeally ramps up the tension, holy poo poo.

Awesome job, TomViolence, thanks for this!

I would definitely recommend giving the game the dark room and headphones treatment. Nothing quite like getting so on edge I lose my poo poo at something innocuous like the cat barging in my door because she's wanting fed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Those are some scary-rear end footsteps.

Also I definitely agree with leaving in some deaths. Not knowing you're going to live would add a lot of tension.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 24, 2015

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this has been asked before but just to make certain, from the way you move/look around while saving is it possible to be killed during that?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before but just to make certain, from the way you move/look around while saving is it possible to be killed during that?

Absolutely. You can ALWAYS be killed, outside of cutscenes in which you have no control.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

TomViolence posted:

I would definitely recommend giving the game the dark room and headphones treatment. Nothing quite like getting so on edge I lose my poo poo at something innocuous like the cat barging in my door because she's wanting fed.

There's a window behind and to the left of the couch where I use my laptop. During the first video, my kitten decided to start playing with the drapes, which he had been hiding behind. I knew he was there, but I got the everloving poo poo startled out of me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

apostateCourier posted:

Absolutely. You can ALWAYS be killed, outside of cutscenes in which you have no control.

On Nightmare you can allegedly be killed by cutscene damage if your health is low enough. YOU ARE NEVER TRULY SAFE :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
You watched the first film when you were 5? Wow, and I thought I was young for watching it when I was 7.

Though I seem to remember my first words on seeing the Chestburster as: aww, it's cute! I was evidently a weird child.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
I gotta say, that Throbbing Gristle joke was quite a pull.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

Yep, during the hacking sequences/inputing door codes/saving you are entirely vulnerable.

Several times in my playthrough I'd start the save process and then hear the alien roar and be shouting at my tv to hurry up and save. Once you reach the "Do you want to save Y/N" screen you're fine, even if you're killed 0.1 seconds after resuming gameplay it doesn't matter, the save was made and when you reload the Alien won't be directly on you, but man do those few seconds feel like an entirety when the Alien is bearing down on you and you haven't saved in a while.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Samovar posted:

You watched the first film when you were 5? Wow, and I thought I was young for watching it when I was 7.

Though I seem to remember my first words on seeing the Chestburster as: aww, it's cute! I was evidently a weird child.

Yeah, that scene in particular had quite the effect on me. Still does, to this day. Can't watch it without feeling this really tight, constricted feeling in my chest. Probably something that happens to quite a few people I bet. As for the chestburster itself, it does look quite disarming compared to the 7-foot monstrosity it eventually grows into, kind of like a hairless, eyeless kitten or somesuch.

Tacopocalypse posted:

I gotta say, that Throbbing Gristle joke was quite a pull.

Not quite sure what you mean by this. If you mean I was kind of pulling it out of my rear end, over-reaching for something "witty" to say in the moment, you're probably right. I've still not zeroed in completely on a fitting tone for my commentary. Also, if I am gonna try and be witty it's probably not best to make jokes about a niche industrial band from the late 70s.

Spalec posted:

Yep, during the hacking sequences/inputing door codes/saving you are entirely vulnerable.

Several times in my playthrough I'd start the save process and then hear the alien roar and be shouting at my tv to hurry up and save. Once you reach the "Do you want to save Y/N" screen you're fine, even if you're killed 0.1 seconds after resuming gameplay it doesn't matter, the save was made and when you reload the Alien won't be directly on you, but man do those few seconds feel like an entirety when the Alien is bearing down on you and you haven't saved in a while.

The game really does love doing this to you. Whether you're hacking doors, twisting nuts with the maintenence jack or just saving the game, it really has a knack for making you feel horribly exposed. That's also the reason why I don't tend to linger at terminals, where your view is locked on the screen and can't even flit manically off to the sides as it can when saving.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TomViolence posted:

Yeah, that scene in particular had quite the effect on me. Still does, to this day. Can't watch it without feeling this really tight, constricted feeling in my chest. Probably something that happens to quite a few people I bet. As for the chestburster itself, it does look quite disarming compared to the 7-foot monstrosity it eventually grows into, kind of like a hairless, eyeless kitten or somesuch.

You mean that weird feeling that there's something alien growing inside your chest that will soon be born in a spray of viscera and agony?

Perfectly normal.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

azren posted:

There's a window behind and to the left of the couch where I use my laptop. During the first video, my kitten decided to start playing with the drapes, which he had been hiding behind. I knew he was there, but I got the everloving poo poo startled out of me.

Update to this; went to bed shortly after that post, and was somewhat alarmed by the small xenomorph in my hallway... that turned out to be the handle of the vacuum cleaner looking an awful lot like the thing's head.

You're doing a good job with this LP, is what I'm trying to get across here.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
My first experience with the chestburster was the end of Spaceballs, so it was pretty much ruined for me by the time I saw the actual movie.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Loving this LP. I'm another one of those people that could never play this game myself. I am enjoying watching you go through it. I do wish you could take it a little slow at times to soak in the atmosphere of the game a little more, but I totally see why you don't.

Can't watch the failure though. That's a bit much.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

TomViolence posted:

Not quite sure what you mean by this. If you mean I was kind of pulling it out of my rear end, over-reaching for something "witty" to say in the moment, you're probably right. I've still not zeroed in completely on a fitting tone for my commentary. Also, if I am gonna try and be witty it's probably not best to make jokes about a niche industrial band from the late 70s.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I liked the joke because it was obscure. Plus I'm a TG fanboy. Don't worry, dude. Your commentary's good.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Tacopocalypse posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear, I liked the joke because it was obscure. Plus I'm a TG fanboy. Don't worry, dude. Your commentary's good.

S'all good in the hood. I'm happy to take both praise and criticism with equal gratitude.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Speaking of everyone's favourite chest-popping scene, anecdotes from the cast members all agree that they should have known something was up when they assembled for that scene, as they were told nothing about what was going to happen, but the Entire Film Crew were wearing raincoats. So, all those horrified reactions? Pretty much authentic. Only John Hurt was told the barest hint of what was going to happen, and that's because he got to stick his head through the table with the dummy body on it.

As for the age-related anecdote for being exposed to the series, I saw Alien when I was 4, and it pretty much permanently skewed my sense of horror quite effectively.

E: Forgot that Holm was Ash, and Hurt was Kane. My bad.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Sel Nar posted:

Speaking of everyone's favourite chest-popping scene, anecdotes from the cast members all agree that they should have known something was up when they assembled for that scene, as they were told nothing about what was going to happen, but the Entire Film Crew were wearing raincoats. So, all those horrified reactions? Pretty much authentic. Only John Hurt was told the barest hint of what was going to happen, and that's because he got to stick his head through the table with the dummy body on it.

As for the age-related anecdote for being exposed to the series, I saw Alien when I was 4, and it pretty much permanently skewed my sense of horror quite effectively.

E: Forgot that Holm was Ash, and Hurt was Kane. My bad.

Apparently for a lot of scenes in the movie the actors were just pushed relentlessly and set against one another. Ripley and Parker's shouting match after Dallas dies is pretty much genuine. Veronica Cartwright losing her poo poo during the chestburster scene is a classic as well. I think she got the biggest squirt of blood and she just goes mental. I also read somewhere that Badejo Bhalaji, the actor in the alien suit, had to wrestle Yaphet Kotto down so that he'd finally agree to do Parker's death scene. Between Alien and The Shining I'm beginning to think that to make a horror masterpiece you have to be a sadistic bastard of a director.

On a somewhat related note, the making of documentary's well worth a watch, as is BBC film critic Mark Kermode's documentary Alien: Evolution, which I'm sure is up on youtube somewhere.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I noticed that a part of the Xenomorph clips through the wall at 26:33-34.

(Tiny'd incase it was spoilery for folks who haven't seen the latest update.)

I couldn't quite see, but does the dead person in the wheelchair at the front door(?) to the hospital sport a chest wound?

(The best shot I could get, TomViolence doesn't stand around and look at it as surviving against the Xenomorph is a higher priority than looking at the scenery!)

This is great fun to watch! I could never myself sit down and play this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

LashLightning posted:

I noticed that a part of the Xenomorph clips through the wall at 26:33-34.

(Tiny'd incase it was spoilery for folks who haven't seen the latest update.)

I couldn't quite see, but does the dead person in the wheelchair at the front door(?) to the hospital sport a chest wound?

(The best shot I could get, TomViolence doesn't stand around and look at it as surviving against the Xenomorph is a higher priority than looking at the scenery!)

This is great fun to watch! I could never myself sit down and play this.

Yeah, I noticed the clipping thing in editing. A little flicker, very easy to miss. Must just have been the tip of his tail or something. Axel also manages to defy the laws of time and space when exiting a vent in part 1, phasing right through the cover. My theory is that he's a time-lord. As for wheelchair guy, I'm pretty sure it is indeed a chest wound, though it's unclear whether it's a run-of-the-mill gunshot wound or a consequence of xenomorph-inflicted impalement. Or something far worse. :iiam:

• Locked thread