Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Norowas takes a reputation hit to draw 2 cards.
Goldyx's dungeon reveals a Manticore (shown to the left).

Goldyx (CirclMastr) - 5 hand, 9 deck.
Arythea (berenzen) - 6 hand, 7 deck.
Wolfhawk (Opopanax) - 6 hand, 9 deck.
Norowas (Captain Bravo) - 7 hand, 0 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame Tracker | City Status | Site Reference | Unit Reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Wow. That manticore doesn't gently caress around. Swiftness and venom. What's that middle symbol there?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

That's Assassin, meaning that its damage cannot be blocked by units.

I'm actually writing out a big update now to take you guys through an example combat.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

berenzen posted:

Wow. That manticore doesn't gently caress around. Swiftness and venom. What's that middle symbol there?

Assassination. Means the manticore is gunning for you specifically and won't beat up your units.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

So, this is pretty dicey. Goldyx has drawn one of the nastier dungeon monsters, but it's a good opportunity to walk you guys through combat with an example, especially as I can only see one way that Goldyx can win this and one way he can block.

You can see from the token that the Manticore has a whole load of abilities. From the top:
  • It has 6 Health.
    • It also has Fire Resistance, meaning that any Fire Attack is halved (round down) and any unusual effects (that is, anything that is not a number) on red cards do not work on it.
  • It has 4 Attack.
    • The poisoned dagger marks out that it is an Assassin, and units cannot take its damage in Goldyx's place.
    • The bow and arrow marks out that it is Swift, so you would need to play double its attack in Block - Block 8 - to successfully block it.
    • The poison drop marks out that it is Poisonous. For every wound that you take to hand from one of these, you also take one to your discard pile ready to come back to bite you later.
  • It gives out 5 Fame on a kill.
Combat goes in several steps, in order:
  • Ranged/Siege
  • Block
  • Assign Damage
  • Attack
For reference, here's Goldyx's current hand:

It's not great for combat at the moment. There's only one card that gives Attack or Block natively, and there are no dice in the source that can power it up. (Remember, being in the dungeon counts as it being night-time - you can't use gold mana!) It's kind of a losing proposition against most of the dungeon enemies - you can look up all the possibilities by checking the Unit Summary underneath my updates. Still, there's a way to win here, and there might not be time to go slow what with Norowas nearly out of cards. As we go ahead, it's important to remember that partial attacks and partial blocks don't count for anything in MK. You've got to kill the monster outright during a phase, or block it outright. No playing Block to slightly lower its attack.

Ranged and Siege Phase gives you an opportunity to take out the monster ahead of time. They are functionally identical in nature - both damage types can be combined, and apply in the same way - but any creature within 'built up' settlements such as mage towers or keeps or cities will be Fortified, and thus get to skip the Ranged phase. Siege attacks are the way to go for them if you really don't want to fight. If Goldyx had a total of 6 Ranged/Siege damage within his hand he could end the encounter now. He doesn't, so we move on.

Block Phase is where you try to block the opponent's attack. Goldyx has two options here:
  • He could try to block the attack. Block 8's tough to get to, but Goldyx could do it:
    • Take a white die from the source, power Mana Draw, turn a die green to get two green mana tokens.
    • Power Will Focus to play Determination for Block 5, gaining an extra 3 from Will Focus' strong effect, to make 8.

He'd take no damage, but would have spent most of his hand for nothing - he'd have no more cards to effectively attack the Manticore with, and would have to come back next turn to try to take it out, risking another attack along the way.

• He could take the attack to the face.
Assuming he takes the damage, we move on to Assign Damage. The manticore is doing a total of 4 damage. If you look at your player boards you'll see a little hexagonal token in the middle, with two numbers on it. This is your Armor and your Hand Size, and it will rise as you gain levels, starting at 2 Armor and 5 Hand Size. The amount of wound cards you take is equal to the damage taken, divided by your Armor, rounded up. In this case, that 4 damage would mean 2 Wounds to Goldyx's Hand, and 2 to his discard pile from the Assassination ability. Annoying, certainly, but manageable over time. Units can take this damage for you, in part, but are harder to heal up than you are.

Finally, Attack Phase. Note that if you're facing a fortified enemy, you can play Ranged Attack in this phase - it gets lumped into the rest of your normal Attack. Goldyx has to deal 6 damage to take the creature out. He can do this, but it will take his entire hand: Determination for 2 Attack, and the other 4 cards sideways for +4.

A note on Wounds: wounds you take will stay in your hand, slowing you down as you get to draw less useful cards. There are three ways to get rid of them:
  • Heal effects can throw away that many wounds from your hand or units. Everyone starts with Regeneration, and Refreshing Walk in the offer is an example of another Heal card you could get.
  • If you aren't moving or doing an action (fighting, interacting, etc) you can Rest. This allows you to discard a normal card and any number of Wounds... but they'll still be in your deck, ready to come around next time.
  • Ending your turn on a magical glade lets you throw away a wound from your hand or discard pile.
So, to sum up, Goldyx could:
  • Use 3 cards to block the Manticore entirely, and escape unscathed.
  • Use all 5 to take several wounds but kill it off, getting the dungeon reward (a spell or artifact) and a level up (a personal skill and an advanced action from the offer).
It's up to CirclMastr as to what he wants to do here. Sorry for the huge block of text - I've tried to be especially clear on how this works now, to prevent questions down the line.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 18, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Stelas posted:

In this case, that 4 damage would mean 2 Wounds to Goldyx's Hand, and 2 to his discard pile from the Assassination Poison ability.

FTFY

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Well. At least he has a healing thingie right there.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Stelas posted:

any unusual effects (that is, anything that is not a number) on red cards do not work on it.

What exactly do you mean by that? I guess it's the same with Ice and Blue effects and Green with Poison for example? Is that something that's in the original rulebook or something they added with Lost Legion? It's been a while since i've read either.

Edit: Literally just went to check and it's on the back of the original book. You know, the part you use the most because it summarizes everything very nicely. Although you're right when you mention it's tucked in there, it's right after all the actual important information. :v:

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 18, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It's in the original but only for fire > red immune and ice > blue. As to the specifics it's just Arcane Immunity but only to certain colours. The rules are tucked away with the resistances.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Sorry for being gone all day.

Obviously I didn't come to the dungeon to be a big wuss. Kill the manticore!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Goldyx takes 2 wounds to hand, 2 wounds to discard, levels, and rolls a die to find out his reward for the dungeon. He rolls a Blue, and gets an artifact.

Levelling up and any rewards or purchases are added to the top of your deck at the end of your turn, before you draw back up to your hand limit. In effect, generally, you will get to use anything you gain on your next turn. (Goldyx's hand currently consists solely of the two wounds he just picked up.)

For his skill, Goldyx draws 2 tokens - you can see this on the top-left of his player board. One will go to his skills, the other will go to the common offer for other people to potentially get later. Goldyx draws:
Freezing Power - Each turn, you gain +1 Siege Attack or +1 Ice Siege Attack.
Red Crystal Craft - Once a round (i.e. once per day or night), flip this skill to get a blue mana crystal and a red mana token.

For his advanced action, he may choose any of the three cards in the middle-left of the offer, where it says Advanced Action offer. Fire Bolt is ranged attack, always useful. Refreshing Walk would immediately help with his wounds. Noble Manners is strong purchasing power.

For his artifact, he draws two, and may choose one of them. Artifacts do not have a mana cost to power them up. Instead, they give a standard effect on the top, and a vastly improved effect on the bottom... but using the bottom effect will blow the artifact up and remove it from your deck. Again, these will be visible on his player board while he gets to choose, this time it's:
Golden Grail - Heal 2. Fame +1 for each point of healing spent this turn.
Endless Bag of Gold - Influence 4. Fame +2.

He also marks the dungeon with his shield, to show it has been conquered and for scoring purposes. Dungeons are a little unusual in that other people can go into them - but they won't get a reward, just the xp for the ensuing fight.

In future, I won't show most of this stuff, or at least won't spell it out, but no harm in being verbose right now. Meanwhile, it is Arythea's turn. By CO, Arythea uses Tranquility to draw a card.

Goldyx (CirclMastr) - 2 hand, 9 deck, yet to draw, skill choice, action choice, artifact choice.
Arythea (berenzen) - 6 hand, 6 deck.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Use Swiftness to move onto the monastery. Use Promise and Threaten(powered with a red die) and pick up the savage monks.

Take -1 influence due to threaten, draw back up to six due to planning.

Look greedily at the artifact.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Give me Red Crystal Craft, Fire Bolt, and Golden Grail.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sorry, guys, rough day at work. Update in about an hour.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It is Wolfhawk's Turn.

Goldyx (CirclMastr) - 5 hand, 8 deck.
Arythea (berenzen) - 6 hand, 3 deck.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'll use Improvisation to sacrifice March for 3 Move and head to that fairy circle

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I mentioned this last time, but it really bears repeating: your time is limited by how fast everyone else is going through their decks. With 0 cards left in his deck, Norowas has the option to call End of Round on his next turn. If that happens, you would get one final turn this round - and the 7 or so cards remaining in your deck would go unused. This is the time to start burning more in the way of cards!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Are you going to do anything else with your turn, Opopanax?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hmm, ok. I'll also use Stamina and play Promise sideways to move to that next wooded area.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Awesome. Here's my badass turn:

Play Swiftness, March, and Stamina for six move, spend five of it to move north to the mage tower. Hurl insults at the poison mage until he attempts to attack me, which I will block with Rage and by taking a gold mana die from the source, empowering Improvisation, and discarding my second March for 7 total points of block. Having easily defended myself from the mage's limp-wristed lunge, I will then (Entirely in self-defense, mind you) play Swiftness with my white mana crystal, and have my Uted Crossbowmen attack for six total damage, evaporating the mage and using up all of my cards.

:getin:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Hey Norowas- race you to -X.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh come on, it was self-defense! Why's everybody gotta make me out to be the bad guy?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Embrace it- I will be when this monastery goes boom next turn. Their offerings aren't enough to protect their shinies.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Wolfhawk goes a-walking.

Norowas knocks over a Mage Tower. Doing so gets him -1 Reputation, but gets him a free spell of his choice from the offer - that's the cards in the top-left. He also levels, and gets to choose an advanced action (middle-left) and a skill.

Norowas' skill picks are:
Prayer of Weather - PVP Skill. Once a round, flip this token. For this turn, movement costs for you are at -2, to a minimum of 1. Until the start of your next turn, movement costs for other players are +1 to a maximum of 5.
Bonds of Loyalty - Add 2 normal units to the unit offer. Gain an extra unit slot. Any unit you assign to this slot may not be removed, but is purchased at -5 Influence and may accompany you where units normally could not (i.e. dungeons, mazes, burning a monastery).
Alternatively he can take one of the skills left in the common offer, in the bottom-right of the map. Doing so forces you to take the right-most advanced action, however.

It is Goldyx's Turn.

Goldyx (CirclMastr) - 5 hand, 8 deck.
Arythea (berenzen) - 6 hand, 3 deck.
Wolfhawk (Opopanax) - 5 hand, 6 deck.
Norowas (Captain Bravo) - 0 hand, 0 deck, spell choice, advanced action choice, skill choice.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I'll take Bonds of Loyalty, Ritual Attack, and Mana Bolt.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Is it my whole action to use the golden grail?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've seen this trip someone else up before, so I will note real quick that 'throw away' means you remove a card from your deck for good, unlike 'discard'. There is a benefit in having a small, fast deck - just be careful what you burn away. Also, note that spells absolutely require a mana, no matter what.

CirclMastr posted:

Is it my whole action to use the golden grail?

Nope. Resting only takes a full action if you are doing the whole 'discard a card to discard any number of Wounds' deal.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'll sup from my Golden Grail (top one) and grab a red crystal with Fire Bolt. More Fame!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

:unsmigghh:

Stamina to Explore NE.

Burn the Monastery Dropping to -2 Rep

If Monks or Fire Mages: Take the gold die to power Concentrate a Swiftness, for Ranged Attack 5. 3 Cards in Hand

If Illusionists/Ice Mages/Sorcerer's: As above, but add Battle Versatility to bring it up to Ranged attack 6. 2 Cards in Hand

If Ice Golem/Fire Golem/Familiar Power Mana Pull with a white die, turning a gold die into Red and a White Die to Green. Add a green mana token and a red mana token. Use them for a Powered Concentrate a Swiftness and a Powered Battle Versatilty bringing me up to Ranged attack 8. 1 Card in Hand

berenzen fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 20, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Goldyx heals up.

Arythea's monastery reveals a Monk, and she toasts it. Arythea levels and gets an artifact from the monastery, and a skill and advanced action.

Arythea's skill picks are:
Ritual of Healing - Once a round, throw two wounds out of your hand. Put one of them into the hand of the nearest player.
Invocation - Once a turn, you may discard a wound for a red or black mana token, or any other card for a green or white mana token.

Arythea's artifact picks are:
Soul Harvester - +3 Attack, and gain a crystal if you defeat the enemy.
Diamond Ring - +1 Fame, +1 White Mana Token, +1 White Mana Crystal.

It is Wolfhawk's turn.

Goldyx (CirclMastr) - 5 hand, 4 deck.
Arythea (berenzen) - 3 hand, 3 deck, artifact choice, skill choice, action choice.
Wolfhawk (Opopanax) - 5 hand, 6 deck.
Norowas (Captain Bravo) - 2 hand, 0 deck.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'll take Song of Wind, Invocation, and the Diamond Ring

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Stelas posted:

Bonds of Loyalty - Add 2 normal units to the unit offer. Gain an extra unit slot. Any unit you assign to this slot may not be removed, but is purchased at -5 Influence and may accompany you where units normally could not (i.e. dungeons, mazes, burning a monastery).

I just took a look at the rulebook and this is not quite how it works for mazes, unlike dungeons.

quote:

For the entire action part of your turn, you cannot use any other Unit (neither to activate them for abilities, nor assign damage to them): not even a Unit recruited through Norowas' Bonds of Loyalty Skill, unless you chose that Unit. There is no room for more Units, no matter how loyal.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If I use Tranquility is that my turn or could I use the card I draw right away?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Nope, you can use the card straight away. The only things that restrict you are interacting with a location and having a fight. (And even then, you can play a majority of cards in and around those actions.)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cool, I will use Tranqulity to start with then

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Also is that a tomb right next to me? I looked through the imgur album but I don't see an exact match

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

That's a crystal mine. If you end your turn on it, you gain that colour of mana crystal- blue in this case. Crystals are basically personal mana that you can crack later.

Also Stelas, the Arythea token should be at -2, not the Norowas token.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 20, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

berenzen posted:

Also Stelas, the Arythea token should be at -2, not the Norowas token.

Whoops. Fixed.

Istvun posted:

I just took a look at the rulebook and this is not quite how it works for mazes, unlike dungeons.

Uggggh.

Hands are updated.

Goldyx (CirclMastr) - 5 hand, 4 deck.
Arythea (berenzen) - 6 hand, 2 deck.
Wolfhawk (Opopanax) - 5 hand, 5 deck.
Norowas (Captain Bravo) - 2 hand, 0 deck.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok hopefully I'm getting the hang of this and this works

Use concentration to grab a white mana token, which I use to power up Mana Draw and take two more white.

Then use swiftness and Rage sideways to move to the mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

You do know that mana tokens and mana die have to be used the turn they're taken, right? Unless you have a way to convert them to crystals, or are planning to use them with your last card somehow, both of those mana will go right back into the source when it becomes my turn.

• Locked thread