Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ShineDog posted:

Do I want to get the bundle with all the reinforcement packs in it?

That's really up to you. If you seriously like playing around with a variety of gadgets, yeah. Go for it.

If you're in the least bit skeptical, then hold out. Most all of the dlc stuff is niche, potentially inferior to vanilla content, or else slight variations on the vanilla kit that really serves to facilitate somewhat specific playstyles. For example, the demolitions pack contained (among some other tools) a machinegun that can be equipped as your drop weapon. However, you start the game with access to a machinegun stratagem that you can call down into missions. They're fairly comparable to eachother, but since the DLC machinegun doesn't require a stratagem slot, you have four slots for whatever else you want. Alternatively, since it occupies the normal weapon slot, it precludes a playstyle that likes more flexibility in some of the more 'mundane' weaponry.

I was going to pick it up the Demolitions pack for the reasons explained above, but I found myself liking shotguns for dealing with patrols, while still having the machine gun to fall back on while holding objectives or dealing with alerts. I may still pick it up for variety, but it's to illustrate that you shouldn't really feel obligated to own any of them, nevermind ALL of them. They do give you immediate access to a ton of gadgets, though, so if you find yourself liking the game, and see yourself putting in a ton of time, picking up the dlc package might not be a bad idea to just give yourself a ton of options to start playing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I snagged packs for myself and my friends last night before we played. I got everyone a random pack so they had a couple neat new gadgets to use, and tbh it really didn't seem to make that much of a difference. The LMG in the Demolitionist pack is pretty cool, but it certainly wasn't something I felt I couldn't play the game without.

They did the DLC right in my opinion - it's nice and you get some cool stuff to play with, but you really don't NEED it to have fun.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I don't know what some of that means, since I haven't played the game yet :) It's just £15-99 without and £24-99 with - sounds like I can go without it.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ShineDog posted:

Do I want to get the bundle with all the reinforcement packs in it?

None of the DLC you get from the Deluxe edition is particularly game breaking. The 2 DLC exo-suits you can get work really well against 1 specific faction each and suck against the others, and All-Terrain Boots are very nice to have on a snow map. Everything else just gives you a jump on leveling unlocks by giving you things that are more specialized than what you would unlock via normal play. If buying the $20 edition doesn't get you the Ranger pack anymore, it is absolutely worth the $3 to get that, just for the UAV

If you can afford it, then it has a bunch of fun stuff that you can experiment with when you get tired of running only optimal builds. Other wise not really.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ShineDog posted:

I don't know what some of that means, since I haven't played the game yet :) It's just £15-99 without and £24-99 with - sounds like I can go without it.

Yeah, run without it, at least for a while. It's definitely not required to enjoy the game.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ShineDog posted:

Yeah, just go without it. After you get your feet sufficiently bloody you can decide whether you want more toys to play with. If that turns out to be the case you can do it piece meal, assuming less than 10 interest you, or grab the bundle if more than 10 sound interesting.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

It's not exactly deep social commentary, but I appreciate that the reasons for the wars with the cyborgs, bugs, and aliens are: dirty commies, oil, and space-powell lying about wmds, respectively.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I got full fat because I'm responsible with money o_o

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ShineDog posted:

I got full fat because I'm responsible with money o_o

Same

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do you all prefer KB+M or gamepad? I've tried both and while it's probably more accurate mouse just feels a bit off with the way that right clicking always starts your reticle in front of your character's facing.

Also is there a "drop your black box/heavy weapon so you can loving RUN" button :mad:

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
What does marine say when you hit the ground crawling? I resume it's "Cover" which means "Get in cover" which is pretty logical in that situation. And in russian version (with voice acting) they literally translated it as "Cover me" so he says "Прикрывайте меня" which is not loving logical at all.

E: Well maybe it is, as long as you can't shoot while crawling.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
have we won any of the wars since pc release yet

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

lewtt posted:

have we won any of the wars since pc release yet

We did about 3-4 days ago. Bugs fell first, a day later the other two factions went with it. I think it was 37 days of war.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Do you all prefer KB+M or gamepad? I've tried both and while it's probably more accurate mouse just feels a bit off with the way that right clicking always starts your reticle in front of your character's facing.

Also is there a "drop your black box/heavy weapon so you can loving RUN" button :mad:

It should be the action key to drop it, alternatively just dive.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Ciaphas posted:

I think the weapon swap key does this, maybe.

e;fb

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, thanks.

Also the main theme to this game (linked in the OP) is really really fuckin good, adds a lot to the extraction sections :swoon:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

uh bugs

what are you doing

Ciaphas posted:

Cool, thanks.

Also the main theme to this game (linked in the OP) is really really fuckin good, adds a lot to the extraction sections :swoon:
I made a comment to the goons I was diving with just a bit ago that I'm always a little sad when I kill everything during extraction and the Super Earth anthem stops.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 1, 2016

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Coolguye posted:

uh bugs

what are you doing

Being marginally better than the Cyborgs, clearly.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If anyone else wants to throw down and unlock stuff I'm hanging out in the CtS mumble channel for a bit! Log on and shoot things.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Kirs posted:

What does marine say when you hit the ground crawling? I resume it's "Cover" which means "Get in cover" which is pretty logical in that situation. And in russian version (with voice acting) they literally translated it as "Cover me" so he says "Прикрывайте меня" which is not loving logical at all.

It actually makes more sense in the Russian because you can't be shot by your team mates when you hit the deck; so "cover me" in the context of the game design would rather indicate that it's safe to fire, and in fact your team SHOULD fire in your general location to deal with the stuff that has overwhelmed you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kirs posted:

FWIW you cannot shoot while crawling, it's pretty annoying

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wait does steam overlay not work in this? I just joined the goon divers steam group, how am I supposed to join on games they're playing? I only see Matchmaking and Friends in steam options, is Friends the only way?

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

It's pretty fun game when you actually can understand what's happening on your screen, because at first I was not even able to properly shoot, because I so get used to Alien Swarm type of aiming (you can run and have your cursor behind the direction where your character looking\running and when you pressed aim to shoot you instantly 180 and shoot, which some of you may call lame, it is. A bit.). I wonder what's happening when war won\lost, looks like this game released at the beginning of december and I just got in it. :)

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Wait does steam overlay not work in this? I just joined the goon divers steam group, how am I supposed to join on games they're playing? I only see Matchmaking and Friends in steam options, is Friends the only way?

Works for me. Try to restart maybe?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Quoting myself to note that apparently Fraps stops it working in this game, and like, ONLY this game. :psyduck:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there a "wait poo poo no don't throw that grenade/strategem marker yet i didn't mean to click, gently caress" button?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Kirs posted:

It's pretty fun game when you actually can understand what's happening on your screen, because at first I was not even able to properly shoot, because I so get used to Alien Swarm type of aiming (you can run and have your cursor behind the direction where your character looking\running and when you pressed aim to shoot you instantly 180 and shoot, which some of you may call lame, it is. A bit.). I wonder what's happening when war won\lost, looks like this game released at the beginning of december and I just got in it. :)
It took us a month to win the war, you get an achievement if you fought in it and a cutscene.

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a "wait poo poo no don't throw that grenade/strategem marker yet i didn't mean to click, gently caress" button?
Selecting a different weapon works.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Rookersh posted:

- The game doesn't tell you this, nor expect you to know this, which is a bit hosed up. Basically, you get research points like mad upfront, and then by level 10ish, get maybe 1 a day. By level 20, getting a new research point is a good thing. Of course you can cheese this a bit if you have the Ranger UAV fully upgraded, since it'll show all samples, but if you don't, leveling up weapons takes a long rear end time. Which is fine, whatever, a lot of the higher level stuff isn't important. But what is is that you LEVEL UP loving REINFORCE, RESUPPLY, AND ONE ANTI TANK OPTION. It doesn't matter which anti tank option it is, as long as you have it, know how to use it reliably, and can bring it every single map with it lasting the whole map. The game's difficulty spikes from 8-12ish, and if you still have 30 second ammo drops, take a full minute to respawn people still, and have no anti tank capabilities? You are super hosed, and a giant liability compared to taking someone who actually got that stuff.

- General point of thought is the Recoiless is good until you realize lugging a big loving easily dropped weapon is a dumb thing to do. Then you start making everyone take upgraded EATS, because being able to poo poo out rockets on demand is always good. Then after you've gotten used to the game enough, you just kind of start dropping supply beacons/airstrikes on the tanks and handling it that way. For those who haven't found this out yet, the Recoiless drops with two things, the Rifle, and a "Supply Pack". If you also pick up the Supply Pack, you have to resupply yourself, and it takes a long time to reload. If someone else does though, they can run up behind you and reload you instantly, so you can fire all the rockets one after the other. This is great for bosses.

- Lasers and penetrating rounds can go through heavy armor. You know those hulk dudes on the Cyborg maps? Yeah, if you have a gun with Unstoppable Rounds, or have a Laser weapon, you can fire through their Armor and kill them. If all four players are using guns that do this, you can kill them super fast. The only things that are actually rocket/explosive only are cyborg tanks, and the barrier aliens. The tentacle bug guys are exposed when they have their mouths in the ground, and a single grenade will kill them at that phase. Both big big tanks can be killed by rolling a grenade into their butt.

I have issues with these three tips.

My rate of getting research points only increased as time went on, because I stopped being a baby on low level missions and started picking 10-20 research samples every 20 minutes instead of waiting on level ups.

The recoilless becomes great again once you realize that you're a thousand times safer and still faster self-loading than you are relying on a lovely loader. The recoilless rifle gets to fire more often than any non-vehicular anti-tank option, and it does all this without lighting up a giant beacon to attract all patrols within a generous radius. Then again, the occasional game where you get a great loader who attaches themselves to your hip leaves you with the greatest form of Democracy there is: absolute power over life and death concentrated in a single individual. But seriously all loaders are lovely until proven otherwise. Even otherwise helpful people on voice chat are lovely loaders. Because if your loader isn't your conjoined twin they're making you stand still without a loaded weapon.

Barrier aliens don't take explosives. Just shoot them while they're deployed. If your primary weapon can't kill them in a single clip it is officially an undemocratic weapon. Or you are not yet a sufficiently grizzled veteran.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

TheBlandName posted:

I have issues with these three tips.

My rate of getting research points only increased as time went on, because I stopped being a baby on low level missions and started picking 10-20 research samples every 20 minutes instead of waiting on level ups.

The recoilless becomes great again once you realize that you're a thousand times safer and still faster self-loading than you are relying on a lovely loader. The recoilless rifle gets to fire more often than any non-vehicular anti-tank option, and it does all this without lighting up a giant beacon to attract all patrols within a generous radius. Then again, the occasional game where you get a great loader who attaches themselves to your hip leaves you with the greatest form of Democracy there is: absolute power over life and death concentrated in a single individual. But seriously all loaders are lovely until proven otherwise. Even otherwise helpful people on voice chat are lovely loaders. Because if your loader isn't your conjoined twin they're making you stand still without a loaded weapon.

Barrier aliens don't take explosives. Just shoot them while they're deployed. If your primary weapon can't kill them in a single clip it is officially an undemocratic weapon. Or you are not yet a sufficiently grizzled veteran.

The problem is you hit that point in between. You go from "oh hey, tons of research points" to "oh gently caress 8-12 are terrifying" to "haha, I can easily do whatever I want on 8-12". Yeah, when you get to that third stage, research points come fast and furious again, but if you hit that middle stage with no anti tank, lovely resupply, and lovely respawn? You hosed up, and you directly made getting to that third stage significantly more difficult.

The problem with the recoiless is it never lives up to it's cost/need. Again, you can take down everything in this game by being inventive just as much as you can through the recoiless. Shoot the Illuminate barriers when they open. Throw a grenade into the mouth of the tentacle guy when he opens up. Throw a grenade onto the butts of the bug tanks when they charge you. Hit them with fully leveled up Airstrike, land supplies/stuff on them, shoot through the lighter heavy armored guys like Warlords with laser weapons instead. Etc etc. Like it's built for a very specific purpose ( taking out multiple heavy armored things simultaneously/in quick succession ) when the game doesn't support or encourage you to grow into that method of play. It instead encourages you to strategically reposition if things get too hectic. Hell, even if you decide to stay and fight, specifically setting yourself up for a situation the recoiless excels in, the game doesn't support it, instead just throwing more and more armor at you until you run out of ammo/need to reposition anyway.

And even if you run into those situations and do need to fire on a tank, the EATS is cheaper, more team focused, does the same job, and can be fired and forgot as you keep moving.

For the price it asks ( 5-6ish research points, a dedicated reloader, ammo resupplies, giving up backpacks, the potential of dropping it and losing your AT for the map. ) it doesn't even match the ease of just mcgyvering every heavy enemy you meet, or the cost effectiveness of just slotting EATS, because of course someone else on your team has zero AT, so you might as well give them your second EATS.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
A cause so just even gravity itself helps the Helldivers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESzESuxK6ts

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rookersh posted:

The problem is you hit that point in between. You go from "oh hey, tons of research points" to "oh gently caress 8-12 are terrifying" to "haha, I can easily do whatever I want on 8-12". Yeah, when you get to that third stage, research points come fast and furious again, but if you hit that middle stage with no anti tank, lovely resupply, and lovely respawn? You hosed up, and you directly made getting to that third stage significantly more difficult.

If you find a good crew to roll with, having lovely resupply, respawn and anti-tank isn't that terrible really. You only need two resupply sources and anti-tank sources across an entire squad. And you can grind samples on lowish difficulty levels - only one member of the squad needs a UAV. Samples don't come much quicker on harder levels.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Rookersh posted:

The problem with the recoiless is it never lives up to it's cost/need. Again, you can take down everything in this game by being inventive just as much as you can through the recoiless. Shoot the Illuminate barriers when they open. Throw a grenade into the mouth of the tentacle guy when he opens up. Throw a grenade onto the butts of the bug tanks when they charge you. Hit them with fully leveled up Airstrike, land supplies/stuff on them, shoot through the lighter heavy armored guys like Warlords with laser weapons instead. Etc etc. Like it's built for a very specific purpose ( taking out multiple heavy armored things simultaneously/in quick succession ) when the game doesn't support or encourage you to grow into that method of play. It instead encourages you to strategically reposition if things get too hectic. Hell, even if you decide to stay and fight, specifically setting yourself up for a situation the recoiless excels in, the game doesn't support it, instead just throwing more and more armor at you until you run out of ammo/need to reposition anyway.

And even if you run into those situations and do need to fire on a tank, the EATS is cheaper, more team focused, does the same job, and can be fired and forgot as you keep moving.

For the price it asks ( 5-6ish research points, a dedicated reloader, ammo resupplies, giving up backpacks, the potential of dropping it and losing your AT for the map. ) it doesn't even match the ease of just mcgyvering every heavy enemy you meet, or the cost effectiveness of just slotting EATS, because of course someone else on your team has zero AT, so you might as well give them your second EATS.

I never hit that middle point. I just went for it and lo and behold it was good. Hmm. Maybe you had problems with Resupply because you were dropping it anywhere but objectives? Cause that's a surefire way to make your missions slower but more interesting. Also, the recoilless and EATs are both good and ready without any points investment so anti-tank is more than handled.

You're mentioning grenades a lot, so we can already assume that Resupply is being used and we're not taking that for the express purpose of the RL. From that point the RL gets up to 6 shots every 3 minutes in a realistic situation without any teamwork, because you fill up every time you Resupply. Only the vehicles have that kind of damage throughput. More importantly, only the vehicles can engage so many targets without lighting a big "swarm me" sign. Because that's where the RL beats all the other options. You can drop a Resupply on a Behemoth, sure. But then you (and your less competent teammates) have to deal with the additional patrols that Resupply brings in. If you splash the Behemoth with the RL that's it, no more patrols will come, and you're good. And then you run around with an empty RL until you arrive at the next objective and you reload before you even see another patrol.

The recoilless is for teams that are going to PUSH THROUGH enemies, instead of continually re-positioning in a circle around objectives. Yeah, ideal stealth is a little faster, but pushing through isn't that much slower, and it's a hell of a lot faster than teams with the "high-speed operator" that continually runs against the edge of the screen, drops attack stratagems like candy, and spams F4 while never arriving at an objective uncontested. The RL gets a lot of publicity as a 2-man team of ultimate Freedom, but a self-loader who runs around with an empty launcher for 30 seconds before reloading at the next objective is STILL putting more AT downrange than an EAT stratagem would, and without lighting up a beacon every 2 minutes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I must be blind or stupid or both because I don't see how to join a goondivers group game from within the steam overlay. Never really fiddled with steam groups before, though. Can anyone point it out to me?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Can you even do that? For me the process has always been:

1: Join steam group chat and CtS mumble
2: Shout for games in game
3: Join via directly right-clicking players name from the steam group chat member list

Also had some good games today unlocking the EAT and the laser cannon. Jesus though this game just sucks the time away, we played for a couple of hours without noticing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Maybe that's why I couldn't find it then :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Okay yeah can confirm this game is 10x better shooting the poo poo on Mumble while murdering the alien, the mutant, the heretic :commissar:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this game owns

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
This is crossbuy across all 3 platforms? As in, i could use my PS4 copy to get a Steam key somehow?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Nick Esasky posted:

This is crossbuy across all 3 platforms? As in, i could use my PS4 copy to get a Steam key somehow?

When the OP says "three platforms," they mean PS3, PS4, and Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Can confirm this game is good. Bought it at 9pm and now it's 3am...where did the time go?? To democracy!

• Locked thread