Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I forgot the name of the deathmatch level, but I loved the one where you could fill a room up with water and hide on the lights and snipe people with the crossbow. And booby trap the gluon room. I played that one all day long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fetus Tree posted:

Same, i never finished it. Maybe i should but meh.

me too, i had to reformat back in the day and didnt want to redo my progress. the last dude i fought was some kind of a giant headcrab that spawned headcrabs.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nathilus posted:

look everyone, its the most original opinion ever posted!

Seriously though I'm one of the people who likes Zen. It's interesting from a narrative standpoint, because you get to see where all these weird creatures come from, and also from a gameplay perspective as a way to switch things up and keep the game at least nominally difficult toward the end, keeping the player on their toes.

Many gamers often gripe about the lack of originality and willingness to try different ideas in games. We all see the same bland, garbage modern warfare type FPS games keep coming out and wonder why no one has the cojones to switch it up a little. This is why. If you dont give babby the exact game hes expecting to play he will still be bitching about it literally decades later. food 4 thought~

It's good when those ideas don't suck loving nuts in execution. They could have made Xen interesting and alien without making it boring garbage slog.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Slamburger posted:

I forgot the name of the deathmatch level, but I loved the one where you could fill a room up with water and hide on the lights and snipe people with the crossbow. And booby trap the gluon room. I played that one all day long.

looks good

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I knew someone that asked me "so does half-life end when you get to that weird other dimension, is it some kind of open-ended ending where you are supposed to just give up"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Should have had Half-Life 2 be the adventures of G-Man and Gordon Freeman on the interdimensional space tram.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

JebanyPedal posted:

It's good when those ideas don't suck loving nuts in execution. They could have made Xen interesting and alien without making it boring garbage slog.

why do you consider it a slog? Your movement isn't slowed down, the maps aren't too large for what they are, environmental variation is excellent compared to the rest of the game given its like 5 maps max... I'll grant that the enemy variation isn't so hot, but it's still not awful to the point of boringness. Lets also keep in mind that the core game doesn't change much. You are floaty but you're still exploring environments while shooting poo poo. What about Xen makes it unfun garbage to you while the rest of the game is almost universally considered very fun?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nathilus posted:

why do you consider it a slog? Your movement isn't slowed down, the maps aren't too large for what they are, environmental variation is excellent compared to the rest of the game given its like 5 maps max... I'll grant that the enemy variation isn't so hot, but it's still not awful to the point of boringness. Lets also keep in mind that the core game doesn't change much. You are floaty but you're still exploring environments while shooting poo poo. What about Xen makes it unfun garbage to you while the rest of the game is almost universally considered very fun?

The platforming is ramped up. The level design isn't as interesting despite it being conceptually more interesting.
You aren't fighting the best enemies anymore (the grunts) and small flying enemies in FPS games are universally annoying and garbage so those split head motherfuckers are annoying as gently caress.
Floaty movement in an FPS is a big no no, you take out the feeling of precision and mobility and replace it with crap that makes the game feel unresponsive.
Part of what made Half-Life incredible was the real world design. Black Mesa was believable, every area made sense. It made the platforming acceptable from a certain standpoint because it didn't feel forced.
They didn't know how to transition to Xen, it feels like some beat rear end level from Hexen II or something. And fighting that stupid giant retard baby was anticlimactic and just poorly designed. Especially coming from Surface Tension and all the surface levels with the tension of being chased by that helicopter.
It's also just artificially more difficult because of the annoying enemies and physics. It's not like it ramps up the difficulty in a reasonable or sensible way like Doom. It just throws poo poo at you that is annoying to deal with, which is a common mistake game designers make, conflating "annoying horseshit" with "challenge."
It was also ugly as loving sin. Going from real world locations with deliberate textures to stupid green webbed crap everywhere was horrible.

gently caress Xen man.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
you run from the helicopter? lol i shoot them fuckers down first thing

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Frog Act posted:

yeah, they haven't done xen yet.

i never played HL but i did finish black mesa and i don't feel like the alien stuff would have added much to the game tbh
would've added a giant fetus boss.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Xen is really short though and Opposing Forces endboss was way worse

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
lmao if you didn't enjoy teleporting to the alien world and owning that spider's balls

hl's target demographic was "people who are cool," naturally goons owouldnt be able to enjoy the best part of the loving game!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I liked "On A Rail."

Blue Shift was good too.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It was a sac human being

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Boywhiz88 posted:

I liked "On A Rail."

Blue Shift was good too.

on a rail was a bunch of fun. and honestly, xen isn't too horrible. it's just not as good as the rest of the game

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

Blue Shift was good too.

easily the most offensive post in the thread

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Slamburger posted:

think it was undertow.

I was a loving beast at using the tau cannon on HLDM. I was a whirling meteor of death as I flew around the map shooting people with orange lasers over and over whilst my friends were out getting girlfriends

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
It was good, deus ex was better

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
so when the gently caress is hl3 coming out? last i heard they were working on a new engine and transferring it over, but the shroud of secrecy and pretty much nothing along the lines of any dickteasing made me stop giving a gently caress

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I got tribes: vengeance on my work computer but eerytime I play someone walk in my office wtf

Slugs
Mar 11, 2014
I wish more games like half life would come out.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

they're far too busy listening to gabe drone on constantly about the 'future of console gaming' and 'steamos' and 'stealing market share in every facet of poopsocker tech' and 'gently caress those commie facebook shitheads'

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
why would valve make a game with no multiplayer when they can make infinite $ with multiplayer games?

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

so when the gently caress is hl3 coming out? last i heard they were working on a new engine and transferring it over, but the shroud of secrecy and pretty much nothing along the lines of any dickteasing made me stop giving a gently caress

valve is making dota hats now, sorry about your hopes & dreams

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

first valve has gotta figure out what the new gimmick for the game will be. nobody cares about physics. mocap is standard now.

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial

a large trout posted:

I thought half life 2 was pretty boring

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

I got tribes: vengeance on my work computer but eerytime I play someone walk in my office wtf

Loved killing everybody in Tribes 2 by smashing a bomber into the side of the featureless terrain.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
gonna have to agree half life 2 is piss and poo poo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nation posted:

gonna have to agree half life 2 is piss and poo poo

Cock and anus.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

JebanyPedal posted:

Loved killing everybody in Tribes 2 by smashing a bomber into the side of the featureless terrain.

and ejecting last minute so you don't die and also yelling shazbot! a lot after

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

yea lets talk about tribes instead

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

it's shameful that modern armies have yet to adopt the spinfusor

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

ethanol posted:

they're far too busy listening to gabe drone on constantly about the 'future of console gaming' and 'steamos' and 'stealing market share in every facet of poopsocker tech' and 'gently caress those commie facebook shitheads'

gently caress MICRO$OFT

i hope the steambox is successful but gently caress if i know who their market is - i guess folks with more money than sense? alienware steam machine? wtf

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm downloading X: Reunion for the free weekend I hope it isn't still loving poo poo.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

tribes has never been surpassed for gaming fun

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

iSheep posted:

first valve has gotta figure out what the new gimmick for the game will be. nobody cares about physics. mocap is standard now.

valve's facial mocap stuff is still better than like 90% of games coming out today which is some weird combination of pathetic and really funny

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

JebanyPedal posted:

I'm downloading X: Reunion for the free weekend I hope it isn't still loving poo poo.

a goon convinced me to buy this and i hate him now

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

Nation posted:

tribes has never been surpassed for gaming fun

:hellyeah: except imagine the guy is shooting a mine out the air with a spinfusor

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just tried installing opposing force on steam and it wouldn't launch so RIP me i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

iSheep posted:

I just tried installing opposing force on steam and it wouldn't launch so RIP me i guess.

same except final doom

• Locked thread