Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

inserting/ejecting syquests were fun because it was a multi-step process and if you did any part of it wrong it would permanently destroy the media and probably also the drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qirex posted:

inserting/ejecting syquests were fun because it was a multi-step process and if you did any part of it wrong it would permanently destroy the media and probably also the drive

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

ez135 crew

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

personal favorite were UMDs with the playstation portable

zip disk is probably the actual best though

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
UMDs would be better if they had a shutter

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Silver Alicorn posted:

UMDs would be better if they had a shutter

parsed this as wmds at first lol

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

camcorder cassettes into vhs adapters and then into a top-loading vcr was like living in the 2040s in the 1980s

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
keep honking, I’m inserting satisfying physical media

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
This is gonna sound weird, but I want to say a mid-prized laptop's CD/DVD tray in a sense, because the mechanism felt so flimsy but somehow I've never had problems with them, always locked in perfectly. Maybe it's something about the hand position and the fact you push it in by yourself instead of there being a motor.
also shoutout to ethernet. Flimsy af but the click is hard to argue with.
(I don't do hardware much)

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

anything in a dip package

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

aaaag

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

qirex posted:

oh that reminds me. our old LC520 had a caddy cd-drive. similar to the self-inject/eject apple drives in the way they pulled the caddy in, very satisfying imo.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

those tape drives that plugged into the floppy cable. slow and unreliable as gently caress, but inserting those tapes took some actual force and they clunked into place very satisfyingly

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
wow no love for pcmcia huh?

yeah i dont remember them either

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i had a plextor QUADRUPLE SPEED cdrom drive that used caddies and that was pretty nice

but the real answer i'd go with is

graph posted:

adding in toploading betamax

it remains a goddamn shame that betamax lost the video cassette war, superior in every way to bulky, clattery, insubstantial vhs

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sweevo posted:

those tape drives that plugged into the floppy cable. slow and unreliable as gently caress, but inserting those tapes took some actual force and they clunked into place very satisfyingly

this reminded me of one time i was loving around inside my computer in like 2005 and i somehow broke the retaining clip for the floppy drive ribbon cable (where the cable terminates and has pins inserted into it so it can plug into the motherboard), and I had to put the ribbon back onto the pins by hand because the system wouldn't boot with the drive missing for whatever reason

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

vampire taps 🧛🏻‍♀️

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
How was the insertion on a SuperDisk (LS-120)?

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Mini-Disc was already mentioned but seconding it. Those small players felt awesome to hold, just a perfect form factor for the media and player. There was a satisfying springy-ness and clicking for all steps, like a future cassette player.

Top loading video players were also mentioned, my parents still have a functional top loading Beta player and it was always fun to use.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hed posted:

How was the insertion on a SuperDisk (LS-120)?

somewhere between floppy and zip if memory serves.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
lotta good ones so far but ima go with 8 track

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

rotor posted:

lotta good ones so far but ima go with 8 track

shame about the low quality foam pads that are all but disinterested these days

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you can replace them with weather stripping

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

you can replace them with weather stripping

no way that's true, you'd have to link me a video of a gray-haired british person doing it badly for me to believe it

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

post hole digger posted:

3.5" floppy was the most satisfying to eject. some drives you really had to press that mf button down.

plus if you pressed the eject button with enough impulse, you could get the disk to shoot all the way out

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxD3TLfsFUg

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Someone needs to make a hard drive bay that works like a pump action shotgun

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

miniDV

computers should use more tape mechanisms imo

https://i.imgur.com/IBw5Ihe.mp4

(sound)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

something i like with 3.5" floppy is that if you pay attention to the feel you can sense the mechanisms that are being powered by pushing in the floppy all sliding and clicking into place, like the dust cover being swept to the side and the eject button being pushed out

and they all feel super durable

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
USB. Getting it wrong and then getting it wrong again and then finally getting it right makes me feel like God is constantly taunting me and when that metal slides in, I feel like I'm spitting in the face of God.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

r u ready to WALK posted:

miniDV

computers should use more tape mechanisms imo

https://i.imgur.com/IBw5Ihe.mp4

(sound)

I think this would be perfect if you could push in the mechanism. just the right number of actions.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mounting an iso with daemon tools

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

one of those 90s aps film rolls.

RSX11M
Sep 21, 2016

The Leader in Efficient Realtime Processing
nonmotorized floppies and tapes (qic, lto, dds) imo

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
laserdisc is super satisfying. if i close my eyes i can clearly recall the jet engine noise they make when a cav disc spins up.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Gameboy and Gameboy advance SP are two all timers

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

Gameboy and Gameboy advance SP are two all timers

i really like the carts, but tbh i think as mechanisms and feels inserting the carts is extremely unsatisfying. which is why i went ds for some nice springs and locking into place.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

tetSUOOO
Mar 1, 2024
a magazine full of .308

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
a clip of .303

:colbert: