Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Liver
May 4, 2009

The Supernova is probably my favorite mission of this game. Unlike this mission, you have some ability to tackle it on your first try without horrifying surprise, and it's got a nice twist to deployment that, while challenging, is not unfair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think the most plausible explanation is that the crews of the captured ship are either brainwashed or spaced.

Leave it to this game to throw this mission right after the two levels guaranteed to kill any bombers you might have had. Anyway, I forgot you get access to Gravwells this early; these babies are amazing and I'm fairly sure some of the later levels can't be beaten without them.
Also Taiidan continue to have kickass capital ship designs, that missile destroyer looks like a pissed off squid.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I assume the ghost ship scuttles any ship that runs out of fuel which is why it only has recent ships surrounding it. As far as the crew goes it they probably just starve to death once food runs out.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Gotta love the Bentusi.

First time you meet them: "We are peaceful traders, here have some ion cannons. Bye. Please don't tell the Taiidan you met us, tyvm."
Second time: "Oh you're about to head into a place where There Be Dragons? It's dangerous to go alone, take these attack drones."
Third time: "Conflict is not our way. Here are the plans to build a big-rear end warship. Gonna tell the space-UN about your plight, see ya!"

:allears:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, it's always nice seeing the Bentusi. It's a comforting feeling knowing that despite the entire universe wanting us dead, somebody does care about us. :unsmith:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Depending on what version of HW canon you prefer, you can see it as them trying to make amends.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Mikl posted:

Gotta love the Bentusi.

First time you meet them: "We are peaceful traders, here have some ion cannons. Bye. Please don't tell the Taiidan you met us, tyvm."
Second time: "Oh you're about to head into a place where There Be Dragons? It's dangerous to go alone, take these attack drones."
Third time: "Conflict is not our way. Here are the plans to build a big-rear end warship. Gonna tell the space-UN about your plight, see ya!"

:allears:

They can kick rear end and take names, but only as a lasty-lastington resort. I can totally see information on weapons tech being a valuable trade good to the Bentusi's trade partners.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm just getting around to watching the Sea of Lost Souls video. One minor nitpick: the unit cap for fighters is 80, not 60. I know because I beat this mission with 80 attack bombers in Sphere formation. :black101: I took much greater losses than you did, but I pulled it off.

Also, what's the line about the mothership getting captured about? It can't move to the alien vessel. Have you seen this happen with a hack to make it move? Is it instant game over? If not, how does it hamper you? Or is that an 'in-character' comment, like the one you made before the reveal cutscene on the Kadeshi?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I saw it in a hack; losing the Mothership isn't a game-over, as you can recapture it once the Ghost Ship is disabled. It doesn't build anything, and you can't use it to build anything (same as if the Carrier had gotten too close), but it will attack with its little PD guns any ships that get in range. There's no special comments about it in the audio files.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
This was always my favourite Homeworld mission. It's dark, mysterious, and creepy. Just how long has that ship been there, adding passersby to the collection? Why? What was it trying to achieve?

We'll never know. Just another mystery in the depths of space.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
one of the things I love most about this mission is the terror it inspires the first time you do it. During my first play through I just laughed and sent all of my capital/Frigate class ships at the Alien vessel...

A bonus video showing off what happens could be funny.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I remember just zooming in on the Ghost Ship and just listening to the creepy sounds it makes, made me feel a bit uneasy to be honest.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I think the most plausible explanation is that the crews of the captured ship are either brainwashed or spaced.

Leave it to this game to throw this mission right after the two levels guaranteed to kill any bombers you might have had. Anyway, I forgot you get access to Gravwells this early; these babies are amazing and I'm fairly sure some of the later levels can't be beaten without them.
Also Taiidan continue to have kickass capital ship designs, that missile destroyer looks like a pissed off squid.

You certainly need a Gravwell in one specific mission coming up to win without massive losses and/or a large amount of time.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
If I recall, it IS possible to do it with big ships. This was a long time ago, so I could be misremembering, but I seem to recall that there is a limit to how many of your ships it can take control of at one time. So if you throw a huge ball of frigates and destroyers at it all at once, it won't be able to take control of them fast enough to keep you from knocking it out. I could be wrong about that, since this was years and years ago I last played it, though.

What I do remember is that the ship remains attackable but damageable after it's been neutralized. I probably spent a good 20 minutes watching my entire fleet use it for target practice before finally moving on.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I got to advertise this LP over in Poptart's MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries LP, so here is the return favor! Go watch it!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I really like the ambient music for this mission. Some of the sounds give the feel of a massive underwater wreck, creaking and groaning as the stress and strain of eons of decay eat away at it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The fact that you can't hurl 40 Salvage Corvettes at the Ghost Ship and add it to your fleet is a travesty. :colbert:

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Something that's been kind of bothering me, as inconsequential as it is to single player campaign.

I don't think you've ever showed off the Launch menu (hotkey "L", iirc) for carrying fighters and corvettes in your mothership and carriers. It makes more sense in skirmish where you can hyperspace around your strike craft within a carrier, but it's still a gameplay mechanic.

rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

Something that's been kind of bothering me, as inconsequential as it is to single player campaign.

I don't think you've ever showed off the Launch menu (hotkey "L", iirc) for carrying fighters and corvettes in your mothership and carriers. It makes more sense in skirmish where you can hyperspace around your strike craft within a carrier, but it's still a gameplay mechanic.

It's also an extremely useful tactic for holding your salvage corvettes in a carrier where they can't be attacked, or your scouts in a fully fueled state for a long distance run until the absolute last moment.

If you use your Amazing Psychic Hyperspace Powers to know what the next missions throw at you (i.e. if you've played the game before), you can also set the Mothership or carriers to not auto-launch before you finish the previous mission. This way, strike craft will stay put until you need them to come out.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Next Skirmish video is sitting at almost 40 minutes. I can either edit it down, and subtitle, or go full length and look for co-commentators.

What do you guys want to see?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Full length with co-commentators might be fun. And I would be happy to volunteer for that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

rabiddeity posted:

It's also an extremely useful tactic for holding your salvage corvettes in a carrier where they can't be attacked, or your scouts in a fully fueled state for a long distance run until the absolute last moment.

If you use your Amazing Psychic Hyperspace Powers to know what the next missions throw at you (i.e. if you've played the game before), you can also set the Mothership or carriers to not auto-launch before you finish the previous mission. This way, strike craft will stay put until you need them to come out.

And/or let you keep them on board until your resource ships have launched.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

berryjon posted:

Next Skirmish video is sitting at almost 40 minutes. I can either edit it down, and subtitle, or go full length and look for co-commentators.

What do you guys want to see?

Personally, what I love most about your videos is the atmospheric sparseness of the sound design. So I'd much rather have it subtitled, whether edited down or just with long zen stretches :)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I love the mystery in HW. Also, Mysterious Space Traders are likely a must in any game that features multiple alien races. The Bentusi are done well (especially when their ship looks like a flying city) and the guys in Ur-Quan masters are neat, too.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

JcDent posted:

I love the mystery in HW. Also, Mysterious Space Traders are likely a must in any game that features multiple alien races. The Bentusi are done well (especially when their ship looks like a flying city) and the guys in Ur-Quan masters are neat, too.

It looks like loving Cloyster.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Captain Bravo posted:

The fact that you can't hurl 40 Salvage Corvettes at the Ghost Ship and add it to your fleet is a travesty. :colbert:

That thing is what salvage corvettes become when they grow up.

I've always figured that the ghost ship is a Progenitor ship, since we learn in a later game that they have really solid drone/automated warship technology, but I don't know if the timescale is right.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Polaron posted:

That thing is what salvage corvettes become when they grow up.
I'd call a ship we see in a different mission that. (I forget, though, if the Junkyard Dog is in this game or Cataclysm.) I checked; it's in this game.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I'd say that's more the adult form of Salvage ships. While this is the grand-daddy. just collects those durn whippersnappers who keep getting on its lawn.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The point is still that salvagers are the biggest baddest motherfuckers of the universe.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

The point is still that salvagers are the biggest baddest motherfuckers of the universe.

The only way they could be more dangerous is if there was a Salvage Drone Frigate with twenty miniature salvage ships capable of hunting down even strike-craft as well as all the bigger ships. :black101:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I wonder if the original developers knew that people would abuse the poo poo out of salvage ships. I mean, I do not know one person who hasn't salvaged everything.

I had 2 carriers full of those corvettes. Get them close to their targets, Carriers getting most of the aggro. Then undock every salvagers and capture everything. Imho, anyone who doesn't salvage their way through this game are doing it wrong :P

Its even better when you use them in multiplayer. I'll always remember my first 1v1v1 game, in which I stole a guy's ressource controller (or whatever they were called) early in the game. He just wasn't expecting it.

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I just can't wait for the remastered version to come out. Can't wait to play some more multiplayer games.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Dalael posted:

I wonder if the original developers knew that people would abuse the poo poo out of salvage ships. I mean, I do not know one person who hasn't salvaged everything.

I doubt it. I mean, they completely changed how salvaging works in Homeworld 2 in order to stop the total abuse of it most people did in this one. And that, more than anything else I think, is why people resent Homeworld 2. Because building ships and blowing up the enemy is now the point, instead of some kind of challenge-run.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Gothsheep posted:

I doubt it. I mean, they completely changed how salvaging works in Homeworld 2 in order to stop the total abuse of it most people did in this one. And that, more than anything else I think, is why people resent Homeworld 2. Because building ships and blowing up the enemy is now the point, instead of some kind of challenge-run.

Oddly enough, that's about the only critique I've never really heard leveled at HW2. Usually people either hate the story, the execution of the story, the change in tone/theme or how a lot of the ships feel loving useless.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Dalael posted:

I had 2 carriers full of those corvettes. Get them close to their targets, Carriers getting most of the aggro. Then undock every salvagers and capture everything. Imho, anyone who doesn't salvage their way through this game are doing it wrong :P

I think its awsome that your like space genghis khan where you start with almost no hope and by the end you have converted so many of the enemy that you have a litteral fuckoff swarm of a fleet :black101:.

I really want to be able to capture everything and its a dam shame you cant.

E: I picture the ships brought in the motherships bay being boarded and the crews being delt with by Bruce Campbell Equiped hiigarian " Engineers"

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 18, 2014

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Oddly enough, that's about the only critique I've never really heard leveled at HW2. Usually people either hate the story, the execution of the story, the change in tone/theme or how a lot of the ships feel loving useless.

I don't blame them for changing the tone. They outright said a sequel couldn't have that same feeling of a lone fleet against the great unknown because it was a different story, and the sequel they wanted it to feel like you were the fist of an empire striking against an equally powerful foe. Not sold on where they took it, but I guess we can get into that if/win HW2 gets LPed.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
They managed to pull it off for hw:c, and they could have went with the dust wars thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's the thing; the original devs apparently hated Cataclysm, which ended up being a much better game - don't tell me they couldn't come up with another spooky space story. Homeworld without the constant feeling of dread isn't Homeworld.
I can understand the logic behind the change - mainly the fact that most players simply won't appreciate a subtle atmosphere and as such Homeworld didn't get much recognition - they really wanted to mainstream it. Very rarely do good things come up from an idea like that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gothsheep posted:

I don't blame them for changing the tone. They outright said a sequel couldn't have that same feeling of a lone fleet against the great unknown because it was a different story, and the sequel they wanted it to feel like you were the fist of an empire striking against an equally powerful foe. Not sold on where they took it, but I guess we can get into that if/win HW2 gets LPed.

Say what you might about HW:2 it did not feel like a powerful empire v another powerful empire.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Veloxyll posted:

Say what you might about HW:2 it did not feel like a powerful empire v another powerful empire.

Yeah, that was one of the places where the storytelling really fell apart. It was like: "Okay, so there's a huge war going on between two massive forces but... it really just feels like a bunch of tiny skirmishes and nothing is going on in the wider galaxy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
Yeah, I tend to agree that even judged by what it was going for HW:2 didn't really manage it (though I don't agree with the praise for Cataclysm's plot, which, though admittedly well-executed, was pretty cookie-cutter for the time it was released). Then again, I think that's probably why the plot was rewritten something like twice in development, wasn't it? They never quite worked out where things were going. I think that, given the imagery used to describe the Hiigarans, identifying them with the Jews is fairly reasonable. I don't know if parts of Homeworld 2's plot (the non-daft elements) were supposed to take inspiration from some of the later history of Israel? The progress of the game's wider conflict does seem like we're sort of fighting the Yom Kippur war in space - Hiigaran Navy is caught off guard by a surprise attack, has to try and stabilise the front line while it marshals a counter-attack against each of the enemy penetrations in turn...but it concentrates far too much on the JRPG in space bits so that doesn't really come over.

As it was, Homeworld was mystery tinged with horror; Cataclysm was horror tinged with mystery; Homeworld 2 was, well, yeah, a JRPG in space. I think what they were theoretically going for was a war story tinged with mystery, but due to a failure of writing nothing is actually very mysterious.

• Locked thread