Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Now that I think about it, my revised top 5 as of right now is:

1. Gordon
2. Pearson
3. Johnson
4. Petty
5. Earnhardt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Logano is probably murdering Kenseth right now

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I far preferred this week's fun insanity to last week's incompetent insanity.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

That race was satisfying in a way that hasn't happened in a long time.

Now...
:hawksin:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Elitist Bitch posted:

That race was satisfying in a way that hasn't happened in a long time.

Now...
:hawksin:

that smiley :stare:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Legit, when was the last time we heard a crowd this loud multiple times in one race? Crazy

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

ayn rand hand job posted:

Logano is probably murdering Kenseth right now

This whole race was :tviv: in the way a race hasnt been in a loooong time

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

kidcoelacanth posted:

Legit, when was the last time we heard a crowd this loud multiple times in one race? Crazy

CactusWeasle posted:

This whole race was :tviv: in the way a race hasnt been in a loooong time

This. Absolutely this.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I really, really want Logano to win Texas.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

kidcoelacanth posted:

For Jeff Gordon, no less!

It's been a strange week. Last week Brett Hearn stayed at OCFS despite WRG scheduling a points race against it as retribution for OCFS running a competing sanction's race last year. When he won the Saturday 358 race, the crowd went insane, and when he was introduced on Sunday everyone, myself included, cheered for him. He's been booed intensely for 30 years at OCFS.

Now today, I'm cheering for Gordon. Really torn on my emotions lately.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Now today, I'm cheering for Gordon. Really torn on my emotions lately.

Trust no one. Not even yourself.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I can't help it. It's the same feeling I had after Earnhardt died, only in slow motion. I don't like Gordon, never have, but people like me lose just as much as a fan of his does, just for a different reason.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
If NASCAR follows the Gordon/Bowyer precedent from Phoenix 2012, then not much of a penalty would come for Kenseth. If NASCAR is out of the control, they'll suspend Kenseth. Let's see what happens.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lol they aren't gonna suspend him

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fuseshock posted:

If NASCAR follows the Gordon/Bowyer precedent from Phoenix 2012, then not much of a penalty would come for Kenseth. If NASCAR is out of the control, they'll suspend Kenseth. Let's see what happens.

They should suspend him for 2 races

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

They could suspend him for the rest of the season but it's all lip service because they loving love him right now

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The auto-advance rule is cool and good now. I like it and thank NASCAR for putting it in place.

I'm going to enjoy the poo poo out of this because there's a chance it's the last. And I can live with that, because a winless final season was going to be a disappointment.

VikingSkull posted:

4 (maybe 5?) titles

I count six. 1995, 97, 98, 2001, 07, 14. I've always maintained if there's no Chase in 2004, Jimmie wins. The only reason he lost the points lead going into that Chase was they turned the post-clinch races into R&D races and DNFed two, then wrecked at Richmond, allowing Gordon the lead.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 2, 2015

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

The auto-advance rule is cool and good now. I like it and thank NASCAR for putting it in place.

Same.

- me, after dover

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Oh it was crazy alright, but I feel dirty for giving any credit to NASCAR for what has happened to the product.

Kenseth needs to be sat- that interview was an amazing feat of cognitive dissonance. Not even Harvick has that level of dissonance.

And everyone loves a list. I always lean heavily towards Championships so it's still:

1. Earnhardt
2. Petty
3. Pearson
4. Johnson
5. Gordon
6. Yarborough
7. Waltrip
8. Stewart
9. B. Allison
10. Elliott

To be fair, that top 5 is pretty awesome and the gap between them is shades of greatness. I firmly believe you need 7 championships to be considered top 2. Pearson's insane 100 wins is pretty incredible and his relative short career I think trumps Gordon and Johnson. Johnson is the most intriguing of the top 5 because he still has some career left in front of him. If he gets to 7 I think he jumps to number 2. The only "downside" I can say about his career is a lack of "memorable" wins. No doubt he has the resume and big wins, but I'm hard pressed to think of a career defining win where I'll remember it in 5, 10, 20 years. Forget wins, I'm hard pressed to think of many "moments" from him that I'll remember. And when it comes to crowning the best of all time I think splitting hairs is only natural. If he can get 8 then I think I have to give him number 1, but he could be the most boring and unremarkable #1 of all time. Petty is displaced because so many of his 200 wins came in a time before time when NASCAR ran like 60 races a year and most teams couldn't afford two sets of tires. Gordon is behind Johnson because, lets be honest, 5 straight championships is sick and Gordon only has 4, so his wins can't overcome Johnson's crazy run.

Edit- I badly undervalued Cale. 83 wins in ~500 starts, with 3 straight championships, not only leap frogs him over Stewart, but I think Waltrip as well. DW's 84 wins over ~800 starts really shows that he stuck around too long and I do think that hurt his stock. In DW's defense he's probably more of a legend that Cale due to his continued presence with the sport. I know that Cale has been criticized over the years for basically disappearing from the sport.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 2, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CBJSprague24 posted:

I count six.

I mean maybe 5 as in he might win this year. Not theoretical Cups if the Chase didn't exist.

We have no way of knowing if JJ or the other guys would have run different strategies over those years to say for certain this or that guy was robbed.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Kenseth will get probation or some poo poo

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SpitztheGreat posted:

To be fair, that top 5 is pretty awesome and the gap between them is shades of greatness. I firmly believe you need 7 championships to be considered top 2. Pearson's insane 100 wins is pretty incredible and his relative short career I think trumps Gordon and Johnson. Johnson is the most intriguing of the top 5 because he still has some career left in front of him. If he gets to 7 I think he jumps to number 2. The only "downside" I can say about his career is a lack of "memorable" wins. No doubt he has the resume and big wins, but I'm hard pressed to think of a career defining win where I'll remember it in 5, 10, 20 years. Forget wins, I'm hard pressed to think of many "moments" from him that I'll remember. And when it comes to crowning the best of all time I think splitting hairs is only natural. If he can get 8 then I think I have to give him number 1, but he could be the most boring and unremarkable #1 of all time. Petty is displaced because so many of his 200 wins came in a time before time when NASCAR ran like 60 races a year and most teams couldn't afford two sets of tires. Gordon is behind Johnson because, lets be honest, 5 straight championships is sick and Gordon only has 4, so his wins can't overcome Johnson's crazy run.

I don't place an emphasis on Cups, at least in Earnhardt and Petty's case, for two reasons. First, when Petty won the majority of his, he was running full schedules when a lot of guys didn't, and he had insane manufacturer support in an era where most guys had some form of it. Second, in Earnhardt's case, 3 of his major threats for titles died prematurely with Richmond, Allison and Kulwicki. the second Gordon won his first Cup, Earnhardt never won another.

I do understand I'm most likely in the minority by looking at it like that, and your list is perfectly cool. All of those guys are legends in one way or another. In any case, there's a steep drop off from the top 5 to the next 5, save maybe DW. He straddles the two groups pretty much.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

They could suspend him for the rest of the season but it's all lip service because they loving love him right now

oh absolutely, it's like all of Brian France's hookers came at once.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Boo punting

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The crowd going wild for that blatant wrecking is the funniest thing ever to me

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
^^^
That bothered me. Any race fan should see that for the bullshit that it was. Also, they're cheering like Kenseth is a hero and Joey is a villain, but I can't see anyone really getting passionate about Joey wrecking Kenseth at Kansas; so I'm left thinking that it was a bunch of drunk rednecks who just like seeing wrecks and drama.

VikingSkull posted:

I do understand I'm most likely in the minority by looking at it like that, and your list is perfectly cool. All of those guys are legends in one way or another. In any case, there's a steep drop off from the top 5 to the next 5, save maybe DW. He straddles the two groups pretty much.

I think that's probably the best takeaway. The top 5 should be universally acknowledged as such- you can tweak them as you want but they're the only 5 that can be there. I was only going to do a top 5 list but I thought it was important to show the drop off, because as you said it's really steep. Stewart could maybe be number 6, but I feel like his career has been a bit too erratic and DW's wins put him ahead of Stewart.

Number 10 I thought was a pretty close call between Terry Labonte, Elliott, and Wallace. I went with Elliot because I think he's more of a legend and has those "memorable moments" that are good tie breakers. Terry has more championships, but half the wins of Elliott and was fairly quiet between his championship years. Wallace has a very impressive 55 wins (more than Elliott's 44) and a championship, and a good number of memorable moments, but I just couldn't put him above Elliott in terms of legends. Rusty is also responsible for giving us Steven Wallace in a race car, sot hat hurts.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 2, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Neodoomium posted:

The crowd going wild for that blatant wrecking is the funniest thing ever to me

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2l9p8i

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It's a massive double-standard with NASCAR. They encourage, then get mad about it, but they won't suspend anyone because they hope it draws eyes to them.

Elitist Bitch posted:

oh absolutely, it's like all of Brian France's hookers came at once.

Something generated an orgasm out of him today between Logano/Kenseth and the Gordon win.

BMB5150 posted:

gently caress YEAH!

e: Thank you Matt Kenseth you beautiful motherfucker. You're a cool dude and will listen to metal with you.

:hfive:

VikingSkull posted:

I mean maybe 5 as in he might win this year. Not theoretical Cups if the Chase didn't exist.

We have no way of knowing if JJ or the other guys would have run different strategies over those years to say for certain this or that guy was robbed.

Ah, gotcha. It still hasn't processed in my mind that 5 is a possibility this year given how the year has gone.

I'm just glad I don't really need to care about races for the first time since Richmond last year.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Gordon apparently just went into the stands to celebrate with the remaining fans :stare:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SpitztheGreat posted:

I think that's probably the best takeaway. The top 5 should be universally acknowledged as such- you can tweak them as you want but they're the only 5 that can be there. I was only going to do a top 5 list but I thought it was important to show the drop off, because as you said it's really steep. Stewart could maybe be number 6, but I feel like his career has been a bit too erratic and DW's wins put him ahead of Stewart.

Number 10 I thought was a pretty close call between Terry Labonte, Elliott, and Wallace. I went with Elliot because I think he's more of a legend and has those "memorable moments" that are good tie breakers. Terry has more championships, but half the wins of Elliott and was fairly quiet between his championship years. Wallace has a very impressive 55 wins (more than Elliott's 44) and a championship, and a good number of memorable moments, but I just couldn't put him above Elliott in terms of legends. Rusty is also responsible for giving us Steven Wallace in a race car, sot hat hurts.

To be honest, I'd replace Bobby Allison and Bill Elliot on that list with Tim Flock and Herb Thomas, in that order. Flock had 2 Cups with 39 wins and 129 top-10's in 187 starts and Thomas also had 2 Cups with 48 wins, 156 top-10's in 228 starts. Both outclass Elliot, and really only Allison's win total puts him in contention, having only one title.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 2, 2015

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

Twitter posted:

Darrell Waltrip ‏@AllWaltrip 2h2 hours ago
This is embarrassing !

You know NASCAR is poo poo when loving DW says what a joke it is. loving DW! And he's got the brownest nose of them all.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hey, friends! I'm CBJ, and this is a show we haven't done in a while! It's called Denny Hamlin Should Probably Shut The gently caress Up! On today's episode, Denny's take on Kenseth/Logano, and how the intent compares to Harvick's potential dive last week:

quote:

Denny Hamlin ‏@dennyhamlin 12m12 minutes ago
KH said his wasn't. We believed it.. Matt says his wasn't.. Why not believe it ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhkNLHictW8

This has been Denny Hamlin Should Probably Shut The gently caress Up!.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 2, 2015

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Is Denny maybe being dry/sarcastic?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I can't tell, but it wouldn't be the first dumb thing Denny Hamlin has said completely seriously.

:3:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah I took that as Denny being a little tongue-in-cheek there, especially considering he pretty much called out Harvick after last week

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

So, I'm really mad about the Dallas Cow"boys" so excuse my anger. While I loved the exchange between Logano and Kenseth as theatre, NASCAR needs to stop this poo poo right the gently caress now. Take them in and let them cage match it out, IDGAF, but we don't need race cars getting torn up over this poo poo (I gotta say though, kudos to Kenseth in trying to only take out Logano.

I don't know, I loved the race as an engaging event. It was not all good racing though, sorry not sorry. Not to take anything from Jeff, he ran a good race.

shyduck posted:

Gordon apparently just went into the stands to celebrate with the remaining fans :stare:

:3

Elitist Bitch fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 2, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

shyduck posted:

Yep:

quote:

Matt Weaver ‏@MattWeaverSBN 6m6 minutes ago
Gordon said he went into the stands because they weren't leaving and they were cheering, and he "wanted to say hi to them."

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

DJ was saying on the post-race that he would have preferred they settled it at the hauler, which is pretty hilarious for anyone to say even if true.

"Kenseth should have beaten his rear end" - Dale Jarrett

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Elitist Bitch posted:

So, I'm really mad about the Dallas Cow"boys" so excuse my anger. While I loved the exchange between Logano and Kenseth as theatre, NASCAR needs to stop this poo poo right the gently caress now. Take them in and let them cage match it out, IDGAF, but we don't need race cars getting torn up over this poo poo (I gotta say though, kudos to Kenseth in trying to only take out Logano.

I don't know, I loved the race as an engaging event. It was not all good racing though, sorry not sorry. Not to take anything from Jeff, he ran a good race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmRAiUPdRjk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

To be honest, I'd replace Bobby Allison and Bill Elliot on that list with Tim Flock and Herb Thomas, in that order. Flock had 2 Cups with 39 wins and 129 top-10's in 187 starts and Thomas also had 2 Cups with 48 wins, 156 top-10's in 228 starts. Both outclass Elliot, and really only Allison's win total puts him in contention, having only one title.

I was trying to keep it to NASCAR's modern era (even though that's a bullshit designation) and even better to drivers I have atleast seen. I can tell you next to nothing about Tim Flock and Herb Thomas, so I personally can't include them on any list. If we're going way back in time then we have to include Lee Petty don't we?

If we hold everything firm as 1972 forward, then I think Petty slips down the list; but that's not how we've ever done it and I didn't want to start now.

And Hamlin was being 100% sarcastic, how could you guys not pick up on that. He's saying that Kenseth is full of poo poo but that if we're going to be intentionally obtuse about Harvick last week why not Kenseth this week?

Edit- I don't understand DJ's reaction. I sometimes feel that when it comes to Logano and Keselowski the people involved in the sport see entirely different people than I do. Joey and Brad seem perfectly likable to me, but the garage does not like them. Even the Busch brothers seem to be more well liked, and that blows my mind.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 2, 2015

• Locked thread