Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Moridin920 posted:

lol at the goal posts frantically moving from 'just eat rice and beans' to 'rice and beans are just a jumping off point, then you can also buy all kinds of regular groceries too'

why not just say "shop like an adult, it's not as expensive as you think" from the beginning?

I never said rice and beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Glycemic index goes out the window when you combine it with fats, proteins, & fiber--such as those found in beans. Sure it's not nutrient dense but it's cheap, tasty, easy to prepare, and versatile. Considering people have been eating rice for millenia and the obesity/diabetes thing has only been seen recently I'm guessing it's something besides the rice.

Keep in mind when I'm talkign rice and beans I mean 1:1 ratio of each, not some bullshit like this:

You could say the same thing about any unhealthy food though. This is the same argument you see where cereal is healthy "as part of a balanced breakfast" (pic: giant tray full of oatmeal and eggs and bran and poo poo). Rice has very little protein or fiber, so it's less healthy than other staple starches. and it's not even particularly tasty or familiar to most anglos.

Its only advantages are that it keeps for a long time and is easy to make if you have a riCe cooker. but then bread comes precooked, is subsidized by the government, and is actually slightly better macro-wise

White rice was not as much of a staple until the modern era, outside of the very wealthy. Just like white bread used to be a status symbol for the nobility.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 21, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

WTF you talking about.....who said "just eat rice and beans"

someone said 'all that poo poo could buy you a week's worth of rice' and people were like 'yeah just eat rice and beans' scroll up my dog

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What's a substitute for bread and beans?

I ain't seen it.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
There's options. The cheap kind of chicken with skin and bone in place, bananas, canned tuna/sardines, eggs... but they got to have some kind of desire or commitment to it. Unless they have got a knack for spices, it's probably not going to taste or feel as good as cramming down fish and chips. The only other thing is to cut back portion size and just eat more frequently; but that also takes some discipline.

When stuff like peanut butter is more expensive when it has less ingredients (Jif and Skippy are almost always on sale, while something like Smucker's natural is always a dollar or two higher), there is some truth to what they say about healthier food.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Kill all Brits, except everyone at Hogwarts.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

congrats goons! this thread is almost as stupid as the fat fucks that it's making fun of!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ultimately you can keep pointing to individuals and their choices (which certainly has an effect ofc) but at the same time the entire modern world seems to be fattening up as a general trend and imo you can't just blame individuals for that since presumably people have been generally the same for the last 1000 years. The food that is advertised to us and that is readily available everywhere is just getting worse and worse for you, while our education continues to falter and doesn't teach people cooking or nutrition properly.

We should also look at that stuff if we really want to stop this fat epidemic imo. TV ads are 90% commercials for food and then commercials for meds to help you when the food makes you sick. It's madness.

e: in before "advertising doesn't affect me, advertising affects no one, you're an idiot bitch"

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Linnear posted:

There's options. The cheap kind of chicken with skin and bone in place, bananas, canned tuna/sardines, eggs... but they got to have some kind of desire or commitment to it. Unless they have got a knack for spices, it's probably not going to taste or feel as good as cramming down fish and chips. The only other thing is to cut back portion size and just eat more frequently; but that also takes some discipline.

When stuff like peanut butter is more expensive when it has less ingredients (Jif and Skippy are almost always on sale, while something like Smucker's natural is always a dollar or two higher), there is some truth to what they say about healthier food.

If there is any truth to it it's because they are right on accident. You know what fats think healthy food is? Lean Cuisine frozen dinners, which are wildly expensive and only low calorie because of the teeny tiny portion.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Rice and beans is bad. But beans and rice? Now that's paper.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I want a gang tag for the bean & rice crew, we can call them the "beaners" or the "rice cookers"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

If there is any truth to it it's because they are right on accident. You know what fats think healthy food is? Lean Cuisine frozen dinners, which are wildly expensive and only low calorie because of the teeny tiny portion.

Some healthier foods are legit more expensive to buy. Unless you make 100% of everything from scratch then you're paying a premium for healthier things like jams, butters, etc. For example a jam made from actual berries and not 90% crap and sugar is usually a couple bucks more expensive.

Of course you can eat healthy for cheap but you can also eat like poo poo for very cheap with no cooking required.

Also I think you're right that fats think healthy food is usually poo poo like the lean cuisine frozen dinners (which don't fill them up then they eat more because as you said, tiny portions) - but whose fault is that really? Why are cigarettes banned from TV advertising but crap foods posing as healthy alternatives are totally fine?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 21, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Nah don't be a rear end. Some healthier foods are legit more expensive to buy. Unless you make 100% of everything from scratch then you're paying a premium for healthier things like jams, butters, etc.

For example a jam made from actual berries and not 90% crap and sugar is usually a couple bucks more expensive.

You know these people aren't looking sullenly at the natural jams and thinking if only-. A few items are going to be more expensive, sure. Overall not so much; it's not like they give away chips; they're like 3-4 bucks a bag. Same for a box of cookies. Prepackaged foods are generally worse for you and more expensive.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Moridin920 posted:

someone said 'all that poo poo could buy you a week's worth of rice' and people were like 'yeah just eat rice and beans' scroll up my dog

Well that person is a tard

Mange Mite posted:

You could say the same thing about any unhealthy food though. This is the same argument you see where cereal is healthy "as part of a balanced breakfast" (pic: giant tray full of oatmeal and eggs and bran and poo poo). Rice has very little protein or fiber, so it's less healthy than other staple starches. and it's not even particularly tasty or familiar to most anglos.

Its only advantages are that it keeps for a long time and is easy to make if you have a riCe cooker. but then bread comes precooked, is subsidized by the government, and is actually slightly better macro-wise

White rice was not as much of a staple until the modern era, outside of the very wealthy. Just like white bread used to be a status symbol for the nobility.

A) rice was domesticated 10,000 years ago and has been a staple for Asians ever since
B) pretty much all refined/processed starches are nutritionally equivalent, slight differences in nutrition here or there are insignificant
C) Starches are there to provide filler calories which is fine in the context of an active lifestyle and balanced diet
D) Kiss my butt

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
I'm sorry to have gotten roped into this dumb argument when all I wanted to say is that rice and beans are delicious IMO. if you don't like them that's cool too

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

C) Starches are there to provide filler calories which is fine in the context of an active lifestyle and balanced diet

oh yeah, perfect food for a lazy fatso

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

You know these people aren't looking sullenly at the natural jams and thinking if only-. A few items are going to be more expensive, sure. Overall not so much; it's not like they give away chips; they're like 3-4 bucks a bag. Same for a box of cookies. Prepackaged foods are generally worse for you and more expensive.

True for the most part, but then again I can wander into a Walmart and get 2 party sized bags of potato chips for like $2-3 each. And that's for the name brand Lay's, I bet the generic Walmart chips are even cheaper.

It also really depends on the grocery stores near you.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I'm sorry to have gotten roped into this dumb argument when all I wanted to say is that rice and beans are delicious IMO. if you don't like them that's cool too

They are pretty good and tasty, I just don't think it's really good advice to tell a fat person to just eat better because obv they don't know how.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Moridin920 posted:

Some healthier foods are legit more expensive to buy. Unless you make 100% of everything from scratch then you're paying a premium for healthier things like jams, butters, etc. For example a jam made from actual berries and not 90% crap and sugar is usually a couple bucks more expensive.

Of course you can eat healthy for cheap but you can also eat like poo poo for very cheap with no cooking required.

Also I think you're right that fats think healthy food is usually poo poo like the lean cuisine frozen dinners (which don't fill them up then they eat more because as you said, tiny portions) - but whose fault is that really? Why are cigarettes banned from TV advertising but crap foods posing as healthy alternatives are totally fine?

Jam is not really healthy no matter what, all jam is sugar with stuff in it.

Butter is butter

You are picking like the worst examples for these things

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
luv me cheesy potatoes

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mange Mite posted:

Jam is not really healthy no matter what, all jam is sugar with stuff in it.

Butter is butter

You are picking like the worst examples for these things

Hm okay. Go into Walmart and pick up a bunch of prepackaged meals (I poo poo you not there's meals there for less than a dollar each). Stock up for like, a week. Then get a week's worth of groceries - real stuff like veggies, fruits, spices, etc.

Tell me which of those is more expensive. If you say the real groceries then lol you clearly haven't been in a Walmart (or equivalent) for a while.

Costco sells produce so cheap that you'd have to be stupid not to buy it but the same berries at Vons are 3x the price and it can be hard to justify spending $6-7 on a tiny package of berries when I could instead get a massive bag of chips for $4 which will last me longer. That's where your 'healthier food is more expensive' comes from; they are thinking in terms of 'well for a snack I can get a fruit, or I can get chips which will last longer...' which is a bad way to go about it but nonetheless that's how they think.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
why the gently caress are you doing all your grocery shopping at walmart? jesus christ just go to a korean market or something, best prices and best food.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

why the gently caress are you doing all your grocery shopping at walmart? jesus christ just go to a korean market or something, best prices and best food.

I personally shop at a local non-chain grocer for most of my stuff, I don't go to Walmart. I'm just saying it's not as black and white on the 'healthier food is cheaper' issue, because a few years ago I was broke as poo poo and yeah the prepackaged $.49 meals were way cheaper than getting fresh groceries.

Also pretty sure most people outside of big cities in the USA don't have Korean markets they can pop down to.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Moridin920 posted:

Hm okay. Go into Walmart and pick up a bunch of prepackaged meals (I poo poo you not there's meals there for less than a dollar each). Stock up for like, a week. Then get a week's worth of groceries - real stuff like veggies, fruits, spices, etc.

Tell me which of those is more expensive. If you say the real groceries then lol you clearly haven't been in a Walmart (or equivalent) for a while.

Costco sells produce so cheap that you'd have to be stupid not to buy it but the same berries at Vons are 3x the price and it can be hard to justify spending $6-7 on a tiny package of berries when I could instead get a massive bag of chips for $4 which will last me longer. That's where your 'healthier food is more expensive' comes from; they are thinking in terms of 'well for a snack I can get a fruit, or I can get chips which will last longer...' which is a bad way to go about it but nonetheless that's how they think.

You were talking about dumb poo poo like jam and butter. The expensive jam is not actually any better for you than the cheap jam, it's all just sugar anyway.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Mange Mite posted:

You were talking about dumb poo poo like jam and butter. The expensive jam is not actually any better for you than the cheap jam, it's all just sugar anyway.

you're about to start up the equivalent of soda chat mate, you don't want that

even though I 100% agree

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mange Mite posted:

I was just illustrating that some healthier options are a little more expensive in the store for equivalent items - alright those weren't the best examples.

Wonderbread is usually cheaper than normal bread, and it has sugars that normal bread doesn't.
Decent cheese is usually more expensive than the crap cheese whizz poo poo people get.
When I get peanut butter I pay an extra $1-2 to get the one without all the additional crap in there.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 21, 2016

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

even if you eat like poo poo nothing explains getting really fat... like how much food are you eating man????? dont you go for walks??? of course the answer is no but drat if i tried to eat anything near that amount i'd be puking and feeling sick.

telling people to eat healthy or eat less obviously doesn't work, isn't it like over 40% of the country is now overweight? that's loving insane.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

even if you eat like poo poo nothing explains getting really fat... like how much food are you eating man????? dont you go for walks??? of course the answer is no but drat if i tried to eat anything near that amount i'd be puking and feeling sick.

telling people to eat healthy or eat less obviously doesn't work, isn't it like over 40% of the country is now overweight? that's loving insane.

60% are either overweight or obese in the US

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

hemale in pain posted:

Poor and/ or stressed people get fat. Americans are getting poorer so theyre getting fatter. Britons are even poorer and more depressed than americans but their food sucks which is why instead of beating us its more of a close tie, going one way or the other depending in whos doing the measuring

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hemale in pain posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a gradual ramping up, no one wakes up one day and goes 'today I will eat 4000 more calories than I usually do' unless they are a body builder.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Noyemi K posted:

60% are either overweight or obese in the US

hahahaahaaha

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I personally shop at a local non-chain grocer for most of my stuff, I don't go to Walmart. I'm just saying it's not as black and white on the 'healthier food is cheaper' issue, because a few years ago I was broke as poo poo and yeah the prepackaged $.49 meals were way cheaper than getting fresh groceries.

Just curious, as I haven't gone to a Walmart in a long time, but what sort of meal is 49 cents? Is it like one of those small pot pies in the frozen section?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Linnear posted:

Just curious, as I haven't gone to a Walmart in a long time, but what sort of meal is 49 cents? Is it like one of those small pot pies in the frozen section?

Hell yeah dude! They're not all that small and even so you can always eat a couple of them and it's still cheap as gently caress. Ate a lot of that poo poo as a student.

They've got other stuff too, it's not just pot pies. Then there's coupons...

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

On the topic of white rice, it's not like anyone in the developed world is at risk for beriberi, but everyone could use more bran.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

ramen packages are 5/$1 at my nearby HEB, but rice works out to a slightly better price and oatmeal's in that ballpark when you count salt and sugar used to make it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I will say that I think that woman's cupboard is full of expensive looking poo poo so for her the argument of 'I can't afford to eat well' doesn't really ring true to me - how can you afford to stock that poo poo so full of chips and biscuits then?

I understand eating like poo poo if you're broke but I never had that many bags of packaged foods at one time, either.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I will say that I think that woman's cupboard is full of expensive looking poo poo so for her the argument of 'I can't afford to eat well' doesn't really ring true to me - how can you afford to stock that poo poo so full of chips and biscuits then?

I understand eating like poo poo if you're broke but I never had that many bags of packaged foods at one time, either.

It's a daily mail article so it's 99% percent nonsense and poo poo designed to make idiot poor people hate other idiot poor people and vote for a political party which actively wants to murder them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

hemale in pain posted:

It's a daily mail article so it's 99% percent nonsense and poo poo designed to make idiot poor people hate other idiot poor people and vote for a political party which actively wants to murder them.

Looks like it worked perfectly itt

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

lol if you're too poor to buy all organic overpriced produce at whole foods

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

vyst posted:

lol if you're too poor to buy all organic overpriced produce at whole foods

yeah lol at that one guy bragging aabout eating 49 cent meals at walmart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
onions, tomatos, garlic + spices + meat + spinach + some carbs be it pasta or potato and you can make any number of healthy italian / spanish / french dishes. jesus fuckign christ people.

or curries if you just add chilli peppers

• Locked thread