Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The Bananana posted:

Wow. What happened to him?

He got old and unlike Sproles isn't as talented as you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The Rams' old stadium did kinda destroy his knee not too long ago.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Cheap Trick souvenirs posted:

He got old and unlike Sproles isn't as talented as you think.

Jeez.... poor him and Vince Young. :smith:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Bananana posted:

Wow. What happened to him?
Got old.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

shyduck posted:

Got old.

Wasn't very good anyway.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Reggie Bush also blew out his knee last year on the Rams Ring of Death and probably should have retired. He just held on one year too many (two years too many because he was broken and old last year, too).

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Idk, you guys saying he wasn't good, he looked ok when he was part of the BSC championship team back in '06

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I blame banging a Kardashian.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Bananana posted:

Idk, you guys saying he wasn't good, he looked ok when he was part of the BSC championship team back in '06

I'm sure you're being facetious, but here are a few college greats: Tim Tebow, Trent Richardson, soon-to-bust Christian McCaffrey, Brandon Weeden, Brian Bosworth, etc.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Bananana posted:

You realize that was 11 years ago when he was 21 and RBs usually hit a wall at 30 anyway

Chichevache posted:

I'm sure you're being facetious, but here are a few college greats: Tim Tebow, Trent Richardson, soon-to-bust Christian McCaffrey, Brandon Weeden, Brian Bosworth, etc.

He's been in the league over a decade. That means you aren't a bust.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Next you're going to tell me being on the cover of an ncaa or madden game is bad luck or something! :v:

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Joe Flacco's dreams tonight:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

a neat cape posted:

You realize that was 11 years ago when he was 21 and RBs usually hit a wall at 30 anyway

He's been in the league over a decade. That means you aren't a bust.

How many years has Jimmy Clausen been in the league?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
This is an interesting discussion of the NFL's current problems

https://theringer.com/bill-simmons-malcolm-gladwell-future-of-the-nfl-b6e14a14124#.y0z6rd15x

Here's the bits that caught my eye.

On Thursday night football:

quote:

Do the 32 owners realize that they advertently diluted their product? Apparently, yes! Mike Florio reported on Saturday that the NFL might cancel Thursday-night football, an astounding concession from the greediest league in professional sports history.

They talked with DeMaurice Smith about the collective bargaining agreement and he said this:

quote:

Do you remember what else he said? (I think this was off-camera, so forgive me, DeMaurice.) The owner that he feels is most open to improving the lot of the players and thinking rationally about the future of the league is … Dan Snyder. As you would say, Bill: Ladies and gentlemen, your 2016 National Football League! Living proof that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

:psyduck:

quote:

By the way, I think it’s worth pointing out that Miller is a Mr. Miller, not a Dr. Miller. That’s right, the NFL executive responsible for player health and safety is not a physician. He’s a lawyer. More precisely, he’s an antitrust lawyer: Miller began his career as chief counsel for the Antitrust and Business Competition Subcommittee of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Honestly, you cannot make this stuff up. In response to a rising medical crisis on the football field, Goodell hired someone to make sure the rising medical crisis doesn’t cause Congress to take away the NFL’s antitrust exemption.

The league is doomed.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Al Davis was the only owner that ever cared and the NFL hated him

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ostentatious posted:

Al Davis was the only owner that ever cared and the NFL hated him

I believe Jerry cares about winnin some gosh darn superbowls!!!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Bananana posted:

He also looked ok helping the Saints win a Super Bowl championship.

That 2009 Arizona game...

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Cheap Trick souvenirs posted:

I believe Jerry cares about winnin some gosh darn superbowls!!!

No matter the cost..! :twisted:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/89SteveSmith/status/805108668459089920

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Steve Smith is a national treasure. And I don't know anything about that guy he responded to other than his twitter profile picture and banner, but between the two I already hate him quite a bit.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The Assassination of Robert Gronkowski by the Coward Earl Thomas https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/805155560526123008

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
so, how much career does gronk have left?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chichevache posted:

soon-to-bust Christian McCaffrey

I'll give McCaffrey a chance to not bust, people will compare him to Gerhart but he's a way better athlete.

I might also argue Bosworth was more of an injury bust than a talent bust, but who knows. The horse steroids he was on might have stopped working too.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
bosworth failed because he had the shoulders of a 60-year man in his early-20s

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Grittybeard posted:

I'll give McCaffrey a chance to not bust, people will compare him to Gerhart but he's a way better athlete.

I might also argue Bosworth was more of an injury bust than a talent bust, but who knows. The horse steroids he was on might have stopped working too.

Gerhardt and McCaffrey have totally different styles as well. I just think Christian buffs because he's a white runningback from Stanford. Also a ton of carries since he is their offense.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

corn on the cop posted:

so, how much career does gronk have left?

If he was smart, none.

Since he's not smart, three seasons max.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

The Bananana posted:

This is an episode of Monk.

Oh well poo poo

Also a good show though. Thanks fam

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

The Assassination of Robert Gronkowski by the Coward Earl Thomas https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/805155560526123008

congrats raiders

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

*continues to count out touchdown tom*

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
No Gronk just makes it even more embarrassing when Julian Edelman and those other two white guys dunk all over the Raiders lovely D.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Gronk gets 69 career touchdowns. Throws a 69 theme'd bro party. "I wish this party would never end!"

and the monkey paw closes a finger

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Spoeank posted:

If he was smart, none.

Since he's not smart, three seasons max.

Didn't he actually do a bunch of financial planning and could retire today and party the rest of his life?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Athanatos posted:

Gronk gets 69 career touchdowns. Throws a 69 theme'd bro party. "I wish this party would never end!"

Also played in 69 wins

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Athanatos posted:

Lol

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Athanatos posted:

*phone rings. Gronk answers*

"Hey Gronk, this is Brazzers. We want to offer you a $2 million per year contract, indefinitely, to star in our movies!"

Even the monkey's paw doesn't hate Gronk.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

CyberPingu posted:

Im basically that but with the Simpsons (up to season 10 because gently caress anything after that)

Season 11's season finale is the behind the music spoof. In my head that was the series finale.

Also lions, bitch

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flikken posted:

Didn't he actually do a bunch of financial planning and could retire today and party the rest of his life?

Very suprisingly, yes.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Assuming DeAndre Levy doesn't play, the Lions will have two linebackers tomorrow against the number two scoring offense: Antwione Williams, a fifth-round rookie, and Josh Bynes, whom they re-signed a month ago after cutting him from IR to start the year. Not exactly ideal.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chichevache posted:

You put Brandon loving Weeden on the same list as Tebow and Bosworth wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, according to interviews, Gronk lives off his endorsement income and has saved the entirety of his salary.

Gronk is also one of the few people who could live just bouncing around from paid party appearances.

• Locked thread