Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm even worse, literally the only Edgar Wright movie I've seen is his Scott Pilgrim adaptation, which was certainly entertaining but lost too much nuance and character development in the adaptation process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shaun is the "worst" one, The World's End edges out Hot Fuzz (which may actually be the funniest movie I've ever seen) through thematic depth. Shaun is still a fantastic movie.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I like The Worlds End. I love Hot Fuzz. I don't like Shaun of the Dead.

Where do I stand on right/wrong opinions please.

You've got red on you

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm actually pretty surprised that Edgar Wright hasn't done any Who episodes yet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I like the show Spaced

It makes me laugh

Everybody in the world who hasn't seen Spaced is making their mothers weep gently into their palms at the thought of how their precious child has wasted their life.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Party Boat posted:

I'm actually pretty surprised that Edgar Wright hasn't done any Who episodes yet.

He's a bit big by now I guess?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Was this back when the 'Remastered' versions of 1-3 were the only ones you could get?

My buying Red Dwarf on VHS predated the existence of the remastered version by a long time.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

probably too busy throwing tantrums about multibillion dollar movie franchises

boom. headshot

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Group of friends get caught in apocalyptic situation and try to reach predetermined location and survive. During the ordeal, the group is picked off one by one as the main character tries to reconnect with female lead.

But enough about Alien,

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I like the show Spaced

It makes me laugh

Spaced is better than any of their films, partially because using action film cliches for visual sequences is kind of amusing when it's a fake finger pistol gunfight and less so when it's an actual gun fight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really wanted to see his Antman film :smith:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Toxxupation posted:

boom. headshot

You're right, only you should be allowed to do that

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jerusalem posted:

I did too but i think his whole "filmmakers are being choked by the disney machine" is p disingenuous for two reasons: one, it's a multibillion dollar movie franchise so everyone going in knows that they're gonna have about fifteen different executives breathing down their neck for every cinematic decision they make, and two, guardians was a james gunn movie just with a budget

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

boom. headshot

Yeah no. You crossed a line there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I don't always care of Wright, but I have to think he'd do something more interesting with Ant-Man than what we've seen from that terrible trailer...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

I did too but i think his whole "filmmakers are being choked by the disney machine" is p disingenuous for two reasons: one, it's a multibillion dollar movie franchise so everyone going in knows that they're gonna have about fifteen different executives breathing down their neck for every cinematic decision they make, and two, guardians was a james gunn movie just with a budget

I'm not familiar with what he's been saying, but yeah considering that Guardians was pretty much just Disney/Marvel giving James Gunn the freedom to do whatever the hell he wanted (turns out what he wanted was to make an incredible movie), it surprises me to hear that he was being micro-managed/getting lots of creative interference. Maybe that just goes to show Gunn is way better at handling people :shrug:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not familiar with what he's been saying, but yeah considering that Guardians was pretty much just Disney/Marvel giving James Gunn the freedom to do whatever the hell he wanted (turns out what he wanted was to make an incredible movie), it surprises me to hear that he was being micro-managed/getting lots of creative interference. Maybe that just goes to show Gunn is way better at handling people :shrug:

He said in an interview that Disney is choking out creatives with its interference in the Marvel series of films, and basically laid all the blame for being kicked off Ant-Man at their feet

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It might to some degree be creative vision. I doubt they'd give any director free reign. I can't imagine they'd give, for instance, Quentin Tarantino carte blanche to make a typical Tarantino movie if they gave him a Marvel deal. It's reasonable to retain some tonal consistency between franchises, but I can see why it'd rub a lot of directors the wrong way if it's their vision that Disney doesn't agree with.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Guardians was already written when Gunn signed on. He rewrote it, I'm not sure if it was with the original screen writer or not, but a lot of stuff like Thanos, the Infinity Gem, and the Collector were already there and had to stay. Wright had been thinking of an Ant-Man adaptation for like a decade, and had every script he turned in torn to pieces and was told he had to shoehorn in a bunch of stuff for the Marvel movie universe stuff.

So, maybe it's a bit whiny, but I can see his point for feeling strangled by the business side. And if he cared more about telling good stories than making all the money in the world, I can respect the decision to leave. Considering most of the staff went with him, he wasn't seen as a big baby by the people he was working with, either.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

He started working on Ant Man before Iron Man 1 was released, so the first point doesn't really hold.

Guardians would have been better if the two main characters weren't the worst part of the ensemble and if it didn't have so much setup awkwardly jammed in.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Guardians is a Marvel movie through and through. Just cause they let him add some quips and rock in doesn't make it "a James Gunn movie with a budget".

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Shaun is one of my favorite movies. I like Hot Fuzz well enough. Went into World's End knowing NOTHING about it. When it switched Genres it of nowhere I loving LOST IT. I never laughed so hard in my life. I was chuckling throughout the rest of the movie just from that. I could see how it might not have been everyone's favorite, but going in like that was magical.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

RodShaft posted:

Went into World's End knowing NOTHING about it. When it switched Genres it of nowhere I loving LOST IT. I never laughed so hard in my life. I was chuckling throughout the rest of the movie just from that.

I envy you so much for going in blind. :allears:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Going into Hot Fuzz blind was pretty great too.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I get the feeling I should watch these two movies before I learn too much about them...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jsor posted:

I get the feeling I should watch these two movies

You are correct.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Jsor posted:

I get the feeling I should watch these two movies before I learn too much about them...

I felt the same way, and discovered they are not on netflix streaming. However, I am now watching episode 2 of Broadchurch because I happened to skim by it while on netflix and remember this thread talking about it.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Jsor posted:

Abandon thread, man, abandon thread.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It was very far from a bad film, it's just easily the worst of a great trilogy.

Why does everybody forget Paul exists?

edit: holy poo poo this topic made the thread move fast.

vv My bad, guess I was assuming the Pegg/Frost movies were 'the series'

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 20, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Smello posted:

Why does everybody forget Paul exists?

Because Edgar didn't write or direct it?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I envy you so much for going in blind. :allears:

Like knew NOTHING about it other than the writer and stars. Except my wife told me The Worlds End is a bar in Britton-land. It was amazing. I'll probably never experience anything like that cinematically again.

Jsor posted:

GO! GO NOW!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wow all these replies must be a new review.

:argh:

(Cornetto trilogy is great, though)

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Toxxupation posted:

He said in an interview that Disney is choking out creatives with its interference in the Marvel series of films, and basically laid all the blame for being kicked off Ant-Man at their feet

Doctor Spaceman beat me to it, but you can't really blame the guy for being annoyed at having changes forced on his movie because Marvel wanted to grandfather it into a franchise that didn't exist until after he started working on it. Jon Favreau didn't direct Iron Man 3 because of similar issues he had working on Iron Man 2, and some of the broader MCU stuff in that movie hurt the film, especially the pacing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Jon Favreau didn't direct Iron Man 3 because of similar issues he had working on Iron Man 2, and some of the broader MCU stuff in that movie hurt the film, especially the pacing.

To be fair, while I enjoyed Favreau's direction, I thought Iron Man 3 was wonderful and that Shane Black did a great job - though as others have noted it's really a Tony Stark movie (which is a good thing).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm pleased to announce a new grade system for reviews, it'll be a five point system based on the Rory scale

Rory of course will be at the top of the scale, getting the full 5 Rories out of a possible 5 Rories

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Raid 2? Pretty good, but not Rory, 4 Rories out of 5

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Racism? 1 Rory out of 5

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 20, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Donna Noble? Wonderful, still not Rory, 4 Rories out of 5

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Rory really is the best.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd go 4.5 Rories for Donna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

there's no "half-Rories", gaz-l what would that even be, that would be nothing, don't be preposterous

• Locked thread