Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CitrusFrog posted:

I should never have scrolled past Beer's initial post about ship costs on the brown sea, loving hell I could feel my brain leaking out of my ears. Such idiocy.

Consider it a "target rich environment" if this game ever goes live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

bossfight posted:

I dropped a load of cash on SC because I am, and I'm not afraid to say it, in love with the idea of what SC could one day be. If SC fails to become the space sim any reasonable backer is hoping for... there likely won't be anything else like it for a long, long time. More than that, people as a whole will lose faith in chancy ambitious projects moving forwards.

There's at least 3 other multiplayer, big free roaming universe, space dogfight style games in development.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
hello friends! its been a while since i last looked at this thread but i was just popping by to see if Christ Robots had released a game yet or if goons were still funding his cocaine habit on the farts of promises

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Murgos posted:

There's at least 3 other multiplayer, big free roaming universe, space dogfight style games in development.

I know about Elite, but what are the other two?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say he's talking about No Man's Sky and Enemy Starfighter.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
And yet no one is doing a new Freespace, is 'open universe MMO' really that important to people?

Or is it more, no one but Volition has the balls to try to beat Freespace 2 at its own game, and Volition lacks the funds?

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
Sweet, Travis confirmed that in .9 we still can't do custom keybinds

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Keiya posted:

And yet no one is doing a new Freespace, is 'open universe MMO' really that important to people
It is to me at least. Fighting AI gets boring quickly, and I'm also not so much into the tired "Hero of the Universe" trope.
So the variety and challenge that other players add to the mix is really important.

Sadly, RSI seems to harbor a great deal of people with the opposite mindset. They havent touched any games (much less competitive ones) since Wing Commander 3 and are mortally afraid of "non consensual" PvP...

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

OptimusWang posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say he's talking about No Man's Sky and Enemy Starfighter.

"No Man's Sky" is something that "noone has an idea of what the hell it actually is" and is actually coming to PS4 first.
And I don't think Enemy Starfighter is a sandboxy free roaming game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Karmalis posted:

"No Man's Sky" is something that "noone has an idea of what the hell it actually is" and is actually coming to PS4 first.

the only difference between this and star citizen is no man's sky will be released

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

Video Viddy Games posted:

the only difference between this and star citizen is no man's sky will be released

I would wait until it is actually released before being brave enough to put up such claims.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Karmalis posted:

I would wait until it is actually released before being brave enough to put up such claims.

this is the star citizen thread

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

this is the star citizen thread

Yeah, that makes sense then.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Informed Consent posted:

It is to me at least. Fighting AI gets boring quickly, and I'm also not so much into the tired "Hero of the Universe" trope.
So the variety and challenge that other players add to the mix is really important.

FS2 had multiplayer and didn't have you as the hero of the universe. So um yeah.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Karmalis posted:

Yeah, that makes sense then.

does it?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Karmalis posted:

Except the actual difference is No Man's Sky has actually demo'd game footage of exploring a planet, taking off, fighting a space battle and entering the atmosphere of another planet.

So, yeah, when's the next Star Citizen 'car' commercial due out?

Anyway, that's besides the point. Dude-fella up there made the claim that no one is doing space sims and if we don't back SC with all our hearts and dreams (and wallets) we will never get another space sim. Which is demonstrably false.

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Keiya posted:

FS2 had multiplayer and didn't have you as the hero of the universe. So um yeah.
This was more of a general response to the "why do people want MMOs" question.

But why bring Freespace 2 up as counterexample in the first place? Wasn't stuff like Project Diaspora etc. pretty close to what Star Citizen is aiming for?

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
No Mans Sky is definitely a game that will exist, it's being funded by Sony, but it'll be more focused on planetside exploration than any of these games - they're taking the opposite approach from Elite – where you see a dot in the distance become a huge space station over the course of several minutes – and what they’re going for, which is incident-filled jumping from amazing thing to amazing thing.

I can totally see where they’re coming from, but I reckon there’s something to be said for giving things the proper sense of scale.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am sure Sony will invest a lot of money into making an awesome PC version of it.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
The big question about No Man's Sky is if visiting randomly generated planets will be fun after the twelfth time. What do you do in the game exactly, is it space-minecraft or something?

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

imperialparadox posted:

The big question about No Man's Sky is if visiting randomly generated planets will be fun after the twelfth time. What do you do in the game exactly, is it space-minecraft or something?

I often ask the same question about Space Engineers, but keep getting back to it.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Elite doesn't count because it's just HD window-dressing over an old concept where Star Citizen dares to explore fully newtonian toilet physics. Scope!

e: So what are the other three?

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

double riveting posted:

Elite doesn't count because it's just HD window-dressing over an old concept where Star Citizen dares to explore fully newtonian toilet physics. Scope!

Does the toilet water run CW or CCW ?

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Karmalis posted:

Does the toilet water run CW or CCW ?

Comstab on or off?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
But space engineers IS space minecraft, with cubes and everything. You can trash and build stuff, which both can be tons of fun.

NMS is just exploring endless procedurally generated galaxy and shooting big game from what I could see? A space engine/big game hunter cross? :P

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

double riveting posted:

Comstab on or off?

Off of course

Truga posted:

But space engineers IS space minecraft, with cubes and everything. You can trash and build stuff, which both can be tons of fun.

That is probably the exact reason why I keep returning to it.

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006

bossfight posted:

While I do think the over-investment in internet spaceships is rather pathetic and hilarious :goonsay:

bossfight posted:

I dropped a load of cash on SC because I am, and I'm not afraid to say it, in love with the idea of what SC could one day be.

i'm not sure you get to act smug about this mate

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Karmalis posted:

Off of course

Ha! Trick question! It will currently flush CW in all cases because of some limitations with the way CryEngine implements network fluid simulation (it doesn't), but that's really beside the point, of course.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hybridfusion posted:

Sweet, Travis confirmed that in .9 we still can't do custom keybinds

poo poo is hard ok. Maybe it will be ready for the 3.0 patch.

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
Imagine still donating to this poo poo when Elite is sitting there and is actually a working game. It's all sunk cost fallacy at this point.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Truga posted:

Nothing about nerfing ramming yet. It's probably not happening, because Christ Robbers wants realism.

I want realism. So if I drive my explosive-laden Aurora into someone's hangar, I want that baby to light the skies on fire.

imperialparadox posted:

I fear it will end like the exploration in Spore. Sounds great on paper, but boring as hell in practice.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 29, 2014

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I have a feeling No Man's Sky will end up like Spore, but shittier.

e:^^^ looks like I'm not the only one.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

double riveting posted:

e: So what are the other three?

The problem with Elite is that rewards are skewed highly in favor of trading and the grouping mechanics suck, essentially driving everyone to be a space trucker.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

OhDearGodNo posted:

I have a feeling No Man's Sky will end up like Spore, but shittier.

e:^^^ looks like I'm not the only one.

i dont know how anything could be shittier than spore, but at least the pair of them exist

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013
I never meant to suggest that if SC fails no space sims will ever happen again.... after all I very clearly pointed out how space sims are "back in vogue" now. What I am concerned about is the macro level design concept surrounding the whole of what SC plans to deliver; being an open world, online, first-person space sim featuring multiplayer crew mechanics and a basic GTA-in-space concept. Elite will have many comparable features to this eventually... but I know no other game in development that looks to deliver on this.

NMS looks cool but I'm not convinced yet that it will have a lot of substance to it beyond the "procedural stuff". And from the sound of it NMS will be less multiplayer in function than Elite currently is in Beta.
Enemy Starfighter looks fantastic but it appears to play more like Freespace in a linear campaign, not a sandbox.
Limit Theory looks like offline EVE Online.... with a proper slickness overhaul.

SC is the only game that is trying to up-front deliver all of its ambitious bullet-point features. Elite might steal SC's thunder if they can do a better job with crewed ship gameplay... but that is way too far off right now. To my knowledge, there are no other space-sim games actively developing robust first-person gameplay features. None of them have given us any reason to believe they will exist or be fun any more than SC has.

This massive effort to deliver an immersive first-person experience is the core of what the SC project is all about. Nothing about the game is more important. It also happens to be the exact thing I, and I suspect many others, have wanted a space sim to have since forever but it always seemed impossible to expect. So here we have SC trying to deliver the impossible, and understandably people will doubt it.

YOU SHOULD DOUBT IT. It is loving ambitious. But just because it is loving ambitious doesn't mean it should not be tried. Maybe now isn't the right time, and maybe the technology isn't good enough. But there is reason enough to believe it might be possible. I dropped a load of cash on this because ready or not, this is the best chance we have at seeing a game of this ambition, in this genre, happen in the next 15 years probably. That doesn't mean other space sim games won't ride this current trend into existence... but how many of them will attempt to do something in this scale if SC bombs? I'd guess nobody would ever dare.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

OhDearGodNo posted:

The problem with Elite is that rewards are skewed highly in favor of trading and the grouping mechanics suck, essentially driving everyone to be a space trucker.

Yeah, its kind of dull right now, but the next beta update is supposed to be adding more stuff to do that isn't just space Fed-Ex. Not sure how much it'll be changing the grouping mechanics (if at all) though.

[edit] Will Star Citizen have it so your sweet Space Ride's paintjob goes to poo poo as time goes on? Elite is doing that, and it seems like the kind of silly but amusing minor detail Star Citizen would be all over.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 29, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i dont know how anything could be shittier than spore, but at least the pair of them exist

I'm so very disappointed every time someone mentions spore. It was such a great concept :(

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Will Star Citizen have it so your sweet Space Ride's paintjob goes to poo poo as time goes on? Elite is doing that, and it seems like the kind of silly but amusing minor detail Star Citizen would be all over.

Oh yeah they got that covered. CR even bragged about how they have "sliders" for wear/tear/grime and so on.

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

bossfight posted:

Oh yeah they got that covered. CR even bragged about how they have "sliders" for wear/tear/grime and so on.
They were unsure about actual custom paintjobs though. Because with the texture resolution they are going for (about 5trillion x 2,8gazillion pixels) it might be too much of a strain on the servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Informed Consent posted:

They were unsure about actual custom paintjobs though. Because with the texture resolution they are going for (about 5trillion x 2,8gazillion pixels) it might be too much of a strain on the servers.

Also it'd be nothing but cocks and goatse.

• Locked thread