Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

Super fast growing? Grows from a central rosette? Does it create lots of baby plantlets? Could be watersprite/indian water fern. I have some of those but they were floating plants, and I haven't seen how the ones I've planted in the substrate have grown yet.

I think you're right! And yes, it grows incredibly fast. I've thrown so much of this stuff out it's a bit ridiculous.

Stoca Zola posted:

That one is definitely some kind of hygrophila, maybe polysperma? I have some kind of like that and they get a pinkish tinge when they get closer to the light, mine were sold as hygrophila pisces. I love the way the leaf veins look.

I don't get pinkish tinge or really visible veins, but the shape matches.

Thank you very much for the help!

Stoca Zola posted:

Are you really growing some pothos submerged? How well does it do? Usually you see people hanging it out of the tanks

It's not completely submerged, and it's very new (just a couple days) so I don't really know how it's doing yet. I like it when stuff grows out of the tank though, so hopefully it'll do well.

The watersprite will grow out of the tank too, but then it either burns or smushes against the lights, and the remaining plant inside the tank looks like a bunch of stems. Now I don't let it get more than 1" or so above the water line.

Stoca Zola posted:

Nice fish, I really like the lyre shaped tail as it is fancy without impeding the fish's ability to swim too much. Do you find your endlers look more irridescent if you light them from the side? I'm not sure if my guppies have any endler in them but their colouring is very similar to your fish.

I've never tried lighting from the side. They definitely look different at different times of day though.

It's amazing how much guppies have changed since I was a kid, there are some really beautiful ones and I never saw the heavy coloration on the bodies (rather than just on the tail) 20 years ago. I do wonder if that's a product of mixing in Endlers, or maybe just changing tastes.

I like the smaller tails too, and the Endlers are a bit smaller than guppies in general. I wish I could put some birth control in the water though, my tank is small and there are a billion fry...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I just shine a torch or the flash of my phone at my guys after lights out, and they go from pale with orange and black to purple blue and green. The iridescence is there the whole time but it can't be seen until the light hits it from the side.

Actually I remember making a video of it at some point!

https://youtu.be/nxcDp8HaS_U

Looking back at this, that piece of bolbitis has grown heaps! I have it stuffed into driftwood in a different tank now. It's probably about a large fistfull size now instead of a couple of scrawny leaves.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

I just shine a torch or the flash of my phone at my guys after lights out, and they go from pale with orange and black to purple blue and green. The iridescence is there the whole time but it can't be seen until the light hits it from the side.

There are a lot of fish that change color at night, are you sure this isn't what's happening?

I'll take a look at my Endlers tonight, but there's enough cover in the tank that I might not be able to see much.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Got my juli corys yesterday and they seem to have made the bottom of the tank more active. I’m gonna have to figure out a way of feeding them algae wafers though cause I fed it after lights out but it fell too close to where the tetras sleep so I think they may have got a fair bit of it.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

My new tank and stand arrived yesterday, in one piece, delivered by the owner of the local shop with his own car on a trailer. He manhandled it on to a sack truck and got it all into the house by himself no problems. He showed us pictures he took of the original smashed tank, since he didn't accept the delivery and made them take it away we hadn't seen the damage before now. Our best guess is someone either drove a forklift into it or lowered the fork on to it because of the shape of the damage. I've ended up with T5 lights off a Rio 400 since the 450s LEDs got broken but they are sending replacements.

We put the stand together in no time and it feels really solid, everything held together by huge thick screws. Pretty soon an obvious problem arose, there is no way we're going to be able to lift the tank on to the stand. It's 85kg of beautifully optically clear thick glass held together with precision black high adhesive silicone but I can't even get my fingers under the edge of it to test the weight.

My sister thinks between her, me, dad and my partner we can all take a corner then it's only ~20kg each which is "easy". I know I can lift that no problems but my partner is a weedy office worker with a bad back, my dad has a frozen shoulder and a huge belly which could impede his lifting and I'm short enough that I don't know if I can get something up to the required 80cm height of the stand. She reckons nahhh it'll be fine, I'm thinking if any one of us loses grip it could turn into a cascading failure with potential to bump into and smash other nearby tanks too.

Putting that problem aside, I had a go at sticking on my black backing film and found out that that isn't a one person job either. It looks good though, but without an extra pair of hands holding it while sticking it on, the weight of the unattached part is enough to peel everything off. I was expecting it to go badly at least the first time so I have enough film for a few more tries.

The last concern I have is that I don't think I have enough substrate!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Obviously just flood the area around the tank til it floats to the required level

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I was considering a big dirt ramp and some logs to roll with but that idea sounds way better!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Being australia, bribe a few neighbours to help with some booze.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Stoca Zola posted:

I was considering a big dirt ramp and some logs to roll with but that idea sounds way better!

Could you hire one of those lifts that are hand winched to get it up to height. I don't know what the hire scene is like where you are but it's what I'd probably do. Last time I moved my tank I emptied most of the stuff out of it and it was nearly too heavy for me and dad to move but we got it done. It's only a 3 foot tank but it weights a bucket load because it was built as a reef tank originally so its 60 cm tall as well

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So after finally admitting to myself that my 180g was overstocked, I took a harder look at the rest of my tanks and have decided to do some major re-arranging.

First phase was completed last night. I tore down my 55g planted community tank and moved the fish/plants/hardscape to temporary housing in a 40b and 20long. Once the 55 was empty, I pulled the rockwork and sand out of my 90g bowfront mbuna tank and loaded it all up in the 55. With the rock out, I was able to separate out the demasoni who now reside in a 40b, and the remaining 15 mbuna are now in the 55g.

Phase two starts this weekend, with a trip to the LFS that is buying my group of 9 clown loaches. Gonna miss those guys, but they really need their own 180g tank and I was dumb to think I could keep both them and frontosa. Also pulling a group of 8 giant danio out of the 180g and moving them into the 90 bowfront, along with the rest of the displaced contents of the 55g planted tank. I'l be adding a bunch of new plants to the 90 later in the week too. Lastly, I'll be moving the group of julies that used to be in the 55 planted in with the frontosa in the 180.

Once this is all said and done, I should be at much more acceptable stocking levels on all my tanks!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My first thought would be that you should just set up a chair or a stool or something that's like half the distance and use it for a "rest" or midway point for the lifting. Do more if you can. Like, think of it like carrying a piece of furniture up a flight of stairs. You could lift it high and take the whole fight at once, but you could also just work it up step by step so that if never really have to carry the weight for long and if you need to drop it/put it down its a small drop.

edit: Except easier than stairs because you have room to put people on the sides, front, and back and really move around for the best leverage if you take a couple of "steps."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 2, 2018

RiverPebble
Nov 28, 2007
Queen Hotpants
Hi goons, I need some guidance. I keep rainbowfish and have recently had a death which I suspect may be due to mycobacterium. All the other fish seem healthy (but I’ve heard myco can hang around in otherwise healthy tanks/fish). What (if anything) should I do about the rest of the tank? The tank is heavily planted (and full disclosure, a bit neglected these days...). Thanks for any help!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

My first thought would be that you should just set up a chair or a stool or something that's like half the distance and use it for a "rest" or midway point for the lifting. Do more if you can.

We had the delivery guy put everything down right near its final destination, so we barely had room to build the stand and once built the stand slid about 2 feet into position. I completely trashed the room moving stuff out of the way to make room in advance. So the big tank is only about 3 or 4 feet from the stand. It’s just so heavy that it seems impossible to even get fingers underneath it to start a lift - it’s not as heavy as a large person and yet it seems to have sunk into the carpet a fair bit. I’m sure a dude standing on the carpet doesn’t end up with his feet making indents and a person’s weight is concentrated into a smaller area so I don’t know why it’s doing that. With enough people it might be easier to tilt it and get started with the lift. There is room either side of the stand for people holding the tank to slot themselves in, and ideally what I’d like to do is slide the tank on the floor to line it up next to the stand so we are pretty much just lifting it and putting it down. It’s still on the cardboard from the box it came in so I think that will be possible. It probably isn’t that hard, I’m just frustrated that I am not able to do it myself.

Enos Cabell: I’m trying to keep overstocking in mind myself, it’s very tempting with a larger tank to start thinking of all the extra fish I can now add. I’m glad you found a way to make things fit better. Clown loaches should come with a warning tag for how big they get and how many bros they need so they’ll be happy.

RiverPebble posted:

Hi goons, I need some guidance. I keep rainbowfish and have recently had a death which I suspect may be due to mycobacterium. All the other fish seem healthy (but I’ve heard myco can hang around in otherwise healthy tanks/fish). What (if anything) should I do about the rest of the tank? The tank is heavily planted (and full disclosure, a bit neglected these days...). Thanks for any help!

Mycobacterium is one of those bacteria that can live and show up pretty much anywhere - in the ocean, lakes, not just an illness for fish. I would say give up on the idea that you can get rid of it, because I don’t believe there is an aquarium treatment for it once tropical fish are infected. It looks like larger expensive pond fish like koi may have recovered after being treated by a vet with antibiotics but we don’t have that much time with smaller tropical fish and a vet certainly won’t be injecting them with hardcore antibiotics as they might with koi. The only way you can be rid of it for sure is if you get rid of everything and sterilise your tank and equipment and start over (imagine having to do this with a pond!). But are you sure that’s what your fish had? From my readings it’s a pretty horrible disease that you can expect to mow down almost all your fish within a month or two. You should see muscle wasting, lumps, bent spines, sores, dropsy, etc.

For now I would assume your tank is a carrier of *something* and the best thing you can aim for is to keep it as clean and stress free as possible to prevent your other fish from getting sick. Also do not share any equipment between multiple tanks and be fastidious with your own hygiene after working in the tank. Any fish that show signs of illness should be removed to a holding/observation/hospital tank (or some would say immediately euthanised, I don’t agree because we don’t know for sure right now that they have mycobacterium), do not let anything die in your tank as it will just spread whatever the disease is. It could be that you have just one sick fish that died of something else, so for now, after correcting the neglect of your tank, I would advise watching and waiting to see what happens next.

Water change, gravel vac to remove decaying organics, and degunk any decaying materials from your filters, make sure your pH isn’t dropping or fluctuating, keep your oxygenation good, all that kind of stuff. One dead fish doesn’t necessarily mean a disaster but it’s definitely a warning to start paying attention. Particularly if you start seeing any sores or swelling on your hands or arms where they have been in contact with the tank water, get yourself checked. Mycobacterium infections in humans are treatable and usually are only a problem if ignored or misdiagnosed, if they are left too long they can become pretty big and horrible and cause scarring, or if it gets to the bone, amputation; and even if you catch it early you need to take antibiotics for a long time to clear it up.

I’ve had some long battles with fish disease, one is still ongoing and I think it can really get to you and rob the fun from the hobby if you let it. I’ve still got 3 fishpox panda corys left from October last year, they’re looking pretty rough and I feel horrible about it every time I look at them. I’m just glad I haven’t spread it anywhere else.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sliding the tank on cardboard will work just fine. I actually kept the cardboard from my 180 around for just that purpose when I (hopefully rarely) need to move the bigger tanks. As far as getting it on the stand, if you can find two reasonably strong friends they should have no trouble. My brother and I managed to get the 180 inside and up on a 4' stand, and that sucker weighs over 300lb empty.

RiverPebble
Nov 28, 2007
Queen Hotpants

Stoca Zola posted:

Helpful words
Thanks for your reply! I don’t know for sure if it is myco. The reason I suspected it is due to a long term pattern over many years of isolated individual fish deaths following similar patterns of very gradual wasting over many months, eventually progressing to an overall run down, ratty appearance of the fins and sometimes some body scales over the abdomen and then death (often by euthanasia if I thought the poor things looked real grim). This fish was similar, but the dull scales on the body suddenly turned into an ulcer, at which point it was isolated and it died the next day. I’ve never had a series of fish deaths that were close enough together for me to describe them as an outbreak, but over the last six months I did lose 5 or 6 fish that I attributed to old age (they didn’t have the symptoms I described and were all from the same batch and elderly for their species as far as I know). So the issue plaguing my tank isn’t what you describe of an outbreak affecting many fish at once and wiping them out (in fact there have been no new additions which could be the source of exposure to the tank at all for about two years) - I was under the impression that myco can hang around in the water and possibly even infecting healthy looking fish for many years, and that if it had infected my tank all this time ago then susceptible inhabitants could randomly succumb to it at any time... is this not correct? If so, then on the one hand the only way to prevent it happening again is the scorched earth approach, but on the other hand if it’s that common and pervasive then the scorched earth approach seems kind of ineffective if reinfection is close to inevitable when I repopulate my tank anyway... so what do I do? :( my other fish all seem very healthy but the population is looking a little sparse since my oldies have all passed on and I was thinking of getting more fish. I’m not that keen on treating my tank like a fish leper colony and waiting for them to all die off before starting over with all new equipment...

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

RiverPebble posted:

So the issue plaguing my tank isn’t what you describe of an outbreak affecting many fish at once and wiping them out (in fact there have been no new additions which could be the source of exposure to the tank at all for about two years) - I was under the impression that myco can hang around in the water and possibly even infecting healthy looking fish for many years, and that if it had infected my tank all this time ago then susceptible inhabitants could randomly succumb to it at any time... is this not correct? If so, then on the one hand the only way to prevent it happening again is the scorched earth approach, but on the other hand if it’s that common and pervasive then the scorched earth approach seems kind of ineffective if reinfection is close to inevitable when I repopulate my tank anyway... so what do I do? :( my other fish all seem very healthy but the population is looking a little sparse since my oldies have all passed on and I was thinking of getting more fish. I’m not that keen on treating my tank like a fish leper colony and waiting for them to all die off before starting over with all new equipment...

The ulcers are a bit suspicious and a history of infrequent disease in your tank maybe could point towards some lurking problem. The thing I read which talked about all the fish dying I am not sure if they just let it ravage a tank to see what would happen or if they were actively removing sick fish, euthanising etc as you would for a display tank. I suspect they might have been just letting it go to see if any fish were able to recover. I also suspect the bacterium is everywhere so keeping your fish clean and with good nutrition and low stress and trusting them to be able stay healthy and fend it off seems like a sensible approach to me. If they have no skin injuries and the fish doesn’t eat any infected flesh my guess is that they don’t have a high chance of infection. I would definitely consider scorched earth (scorched water??) if multiple fish started becoming ill at the same time as that would suggest the bacterial population is way beyond normal low levels and the chances of infection are much higher.

The other thing I can think of that might cause long term wasting is internal parasites, as these often are carried by asymptomatic fish and I don’t think we tend to regularly worm our fish the way you would for other pets. Depending on the fish they can carry parasites for quite a while before becoming ill from the burden. Since your previous fish deaths didn’t have lesions, lumps, spinal deformities, or other symptoms of myco I don’t think your recent death would be due to some latent mycobacterium problem. Dark scales sound more like physical damage to me, that became infected maybe with something like vibrio (another one that’s probably everywhere and shouldn’t affect healthy fish as long as the bacterial population is low and fish have good immune status). A skin infection in a fish can rapidly become a fatal systemic infection without treatment, and then how would you even know what to treat? If you have medicines available the furan/kanaplex combo is pretty good at nuking pretty much anything but not everyone has access to those. It’s best to try and keep your organics low and keep the free floating bacteria in your tank starved. Even with those measures in place, sometimes a fish is weakened and susceptible for whatever reason and still gets sick and dies. A clean tank might still have a fish bully that stresses and injures other fish, causing disease problems, something I’ve seen play out with my penguin tetras.

I still think water change, watch and wait will do for now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well I made a grisly discovery this morning. I collect my dirty filter socks in a 5g bucket until it's full and then run them through the washer. Today I went to run a load of them, and found half a dozen dried up little bristlenose pleco fry stuck to the side of the bucket. :cry: They must have been trapped in the sock, but didn't shake loose when I turned it inside out in the sump. Sorry little dudes!

On a better note, the really good LFS in my area made me a nice offer on my group of clown loaches, about 25 demasoni fry, 8 giant danios and a dozen or so mutt mbuna. I should be able to get my stocking levels down to proper levels by the end of the day!

edit: counterbalance to the sad pleco story: while removing rockwork in the 180 I found over 50 bristlenose fry, half albino. They are all chilling in a 20g now for growing out

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 3, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stoca Zola posted:

We had the delivery guy put everything down right near its final destination, so we barely had room to build the stand and once built the stand slid about 2 feet into position. I completely trashed the room moving stuff out of the way to make room in advance. So the big tank is only about 3 or 4 feet from the stand. It’s just so heavy that it seems impossible to even get fingers underneath it to start a lift - it’s not as heavy as a large person and yet it seems to have sunk into the carpet a fair bit. I’m sure a dude standing on the carpet doesn’t end up with his feet making indents and a person’s weight is concentrated into a smaller area so I don’t know why it’s doing that. With enough people it might be easier to tilt it and get started with the lift. There is room either side of the stand for people holding the tank to slot themselves in, and ideally what I’d like to do is slide the tank on the floor to line it up next to the stand so we are pretty much just lifting it and putting it down. It’s still on the cardboard from the box it came in so I think that will be possible. It probably isn’t that hard, I’m just frustrated that I am not able to do it myself.

Maybe something like this? You can tip the tank to work the straps under, and then you aren't trying to lift with your fingertips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgnfkCW1m7U

You still might need to do it in stages if the stand is too high. Lift the tank up onto a tv stand or something, then readjust the straps to lift it the rest of the way.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Those look great! I'm going to get some. I can think of tons of times they would have made my life easier, I rearrange my furniture a lot and we're all getting older and lifting is harder, so they'll get use beyond just lifting a tank. Thanks, Facebook Aunt!

I noticed the guy selling that weird cube tank has dropped the price to about half of what he was originally asking so I messaged him and let him know I'm interested, although I've got no way to pick it up. He reckons he is happy to bring it over if he can get his mate to help. My idea is that I'm willing to try it at a cheaper price, delivered, and if it's unworkable, saw the top off and replace it with a removable hood.

At some point I think it would be nice to move my sterbai corys into a bigger tank, and reclaim their 15g as a quarantine tank, so if the cube works out it is over double the area and probably triple the volume, so if be able to add more and have a larger school. Right now I've got a gap where the leaky 20g used to be and I can't find where that is leaking from so it will not be returning to service as a fish tank. Perfect spot for the 15g, and I can move the much smaller Fluval spec V onto the counter top instead.

In the immediate future I'm focusing on getting the new tank going, then next I want to redo the leaky 20g as a terrarium full of plants.

After that I'd like to attempt a repair on the old tanks' busted brace, clean that tank up and replace missing lids, then set it up as a rocky creek bank to move all the crayfish into. I'd still run the water at half height so the crays can't climb out, and I want to let plants grow emersed at the back, have a water fall at one end, and aim for a fairly linear flow. The crays need more territory than they have, and it might be nice to have a few white cloud minnows in the creek too as I don't plan to heat it. I bet the minnows would snack on baby crays but if I set it up right I should be able to reach a balance.

Any cube tank projects will not be for a long time yet but I like having something to look forward to, and something to use in case of emergency.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's awesome you're going to be able to get the custom cube tank after all.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

haha holy poo poo i just had yet another crash. i added a couple of extra barbs from a store, which died within 12 hours and i didn't think much because it could be stress (my friend managed to break the plastic bag of water they were in halfway through the car ride, and we had to transport them into a spare bottle of distilled water). 48 hours later, all of my tank occupants except for one cory and the maybe featherfin? catfish are dead. I woke up to 9+ fishes all pale, covered with maybe a white substance (ick?) and floating.

guess i have to restart a new setup?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god there's a lot of things wrong here but yeah distilled water probably hosed those fish up really bad, AND you failed to quarantine.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah the failure to quarantine i'm blaming my friend again, she dumped them in before i could say anything and they were so similar to the existing occupants it was hard to tell them apart. i still wonder if whatever they were carrying killed all the other fishes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The odds are extremely high and again the primary reason to quarantine stuff.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Think of it this way: the purer water gets, the more it starts to drink you.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked up an ip camera this weekend so I can monitor some of my tanks. It's also got two-way audio built in, which might come in handy next time I need a tank-sitter for vacation. That's my frontosa tank on the left, reef tank in center and demasoni tank on the right. Treadmill is blocking view of a couple of smaller tanks, so I might try to mount this sucker on the ceiling.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Thats a nice clear pic, is that one of those cams that can be moved remotely? Also your fish room is so tidy it makes mine look like a hoarders hovel (well, actually... maybe that's exactly what it is). Once cube tank guy delivers I am feeling inspired to do some cleaning, it's too hot out today to do anything else really anyway.

Edit: saw you post the model number in the saltwater thread, holy crud Australia tax has us paying $230 for that camera here :stonk:

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 6, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

:drat: yeah it's pretty decent but not worth anything like that. $70 was already on the high side of what I wanted to pay. I saw lots of real similar chinese knockoffs, maybe you could find something cheaper?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

WOW! The guys just delivered the cube tank. The dude who owned it previously was about 7 foot tall so I am going to need a ladder for sure to work on this tank, and he had his dad help, who brought his trailer and sacktruck. Where would we be without dads, eh? The doors at the top are plenty big enough to lean in with long enough tools, I reckon. It's huge, its really huge. 10mm (3/8 inch) glass, custom built and intended as a salt water tank but never used. It's just sat in the shed collecting dust. The seals look fine, the stand is a little beat up but for the price I paid I don't care. The supports under the tank inside the stand look pretty good too, it has an upright on each corner plus an extra in the middle on 2 sides. Tank is eurobraced with an extra brace across the centre, and triangular corner braces.

Cat for scale:

I'm not going to leave it there due to being near the window but it's "convenient" until I get around to that project. Honestly I should have meausred first, it's a bit of a squeeze.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 6, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wow, that looks great! Better than it did in the pics you posted a while back.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Thankfully my partner had the same reaction, haha. I don't buy anything without running it past him (not that he's ever said no) and I thought maybe he was a bit reluctant, but he came home from work and was pretty impressed. The picture I had before was of the back side which no one is going to see, and it does look a bit rougher than the display side. It wouldn't surprise me if the dude's dad built the stand for him, the dad was giving me all kinds of advice about where to buy cheap filters from and stories about different fish he'd kept and where he'd got them.

It'll be another job for the lifting straps when it comes time to move the tank though that's for sure.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone have opinions on c02 regulators? Trying to find a solid option for my 55g that won't be too expensive importing into Canada. Seen gla recommended but it sounds like that'll be 350+CAD once it gets here.

Happy spending less money if possible but don't want to gently caress myself over. Would be rad if I could get something sub 200.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

All I’ve read about CO2 is that the regulator is the important bit, and that you shouldn’t cheap out on it. I can’t remember if you need to get a regulator with a solenoid built in or if that bit is extra but being able to put your CO2 on a timer is invaluable, too. Probably this doesn’t help much since I don’t have any specifics.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Today I found the advantage of putting your hand in your fish tank with breaks in your skin - it's an extremely good and fast method to detect any leaking voltage from faulty equipment. The heater in my fluval spec V has sprung a such a leak at some point and I had no idea, the tank inhabitants weren't really acting out of the ordinary apart from all the trumpet snails going crazy and coming out of the substrate (but I've noticed they do that more when there are no fish). The crayfish are a bit inscrutable so maybe they were annoyed but they weren't showing it. Couldn't feel a thing until that one tiny scratch on one finger went into the water and then it was almost like a bee sting. It certainly didn't stop the crayfish from carrying out their natural life cycle, there are currently a batch of tiny crays zooming around from a thumb sized berried female that I moved across, and one of the half sized juveniles is berried too. It surprises me how soon they breed when they are no where near their maximum size. Anyway no doubt the fault would have gotten worse if I hadn't noticed in time and perhaps done some real damage so I'm glad I risked sticking my scratched up finger in tank water today.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone have opinions on c02 regulators? Trying to find a solid option for my 55g that won't be too expensive importing into Canada. Seen gla recommended but it sounds like that'll be 350+CAD once it gets here.

Happy spending less money if possible but don't want to gently caress myself over. Would be rad if I could get something sub 200.

You can DIY it with a welding regulator instead of buying something made for aquariums but under $200 is going to be hard to do. I suspect a decent regulator will cost you around that much, even used. Then you'll need a CO2 tank.

Things you need:
- A regulator that'll get you down below 1 bar or so
- A needle valve for adjusting the flow
- A solenoid you can stick on a timer (optional, I suppose, but your plants don't photosynthesize with the lights off, so why waste CO2?)
- A bubble counter so you can track flow rate
- Some sort of check valve to avoid water flowing back into the reg (some bubble counters do double duty)

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Worked out today that it was the filter pump not the heater that had been leaking volts into my tank, so my poor crayfish sat with no filter for a day. Luckily I had an airstone running so they still had circulation, and it doesn't seem to have bothered them much. The hatched babies from 2 days ago are easily 3 times their original size, their mother has shed and is berried again too. Tank is going to fill up pretty quickly! I have a pump that should fit in the Fluval Spec's built in filter chamber but I couldn't find it and instead ended up using an odd unmatching airlift tube from somewhere to convert the filter to be air driven. Seems to work quite well!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The yeast based CO2 systems are cheaper, never tried them myself though. Basically you have a bottle with yeast eating sugar and pooping out CO2, the top of the bottle is attached to airline hose that goes through a thing and into the tank to slowly release bubbles. Less control than a gas tank and regulator, but the amount of gas produced is fairly predictable, it won't suddenly spike.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think I'm going to try diy CO2 on my 90g bowfront that has a sump. Can I put the diffuser in the sump, or is it best to put that directly in the tank?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It can go anywhere as long as it ends up in the water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Earlier this week I ripped out all of the Mayaca growing in the tank as it was proving next to impossible to keep looking good consistently. I replaced it with some Ambulia, Hygrillia and a little pennywort which i've left floating for the arrival of the Gourami in the next week or two. The tank is looking much better with the new plants and everyone else seems pretty happy. One of the shrimp has spent most of the day up in the pennywort which is kinda funny.

With one of the new plants however there must have been a little duckweed caught up in it cause I found one or two while cleaning the tank out today. I hope I got it all because I don't want it in the tank and it's classed as a noxious weed where I live so I'll see how it goes.