Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

KanaNetwork posted:

I've edited it to only have one video. Hopefully I've understood what you're getting at, I triple checked the rules, but was unable to find anything specifically called "YT Dump" anywhere. Sorry if I've misunderstood, thanks.

I don't mind negative critiques since we're new. We've already been told elsewhere we're horrible females for calling ourselves "bitches", so I think we'll be okay as such any critique would be appreciated.

Specifically, you've already finished the LP. That means, with any critique we give, you'd have to redo the whole thing to get it on the forums, because if it's already done, goon commentary won't help much, people will spoiler themselves, and other fun stuff.

To quote Papa Slowbeef from the Rules thread (see what I mean about lurking more? Also, try reading the OP of this thread...)

RULES posted:

11. Don't recycle Let's Plays you've already done elsewhere unless they're really, really good. This is completely subjective, and up to the mods so you're better off not doing it.

11. I'm repeating it twice: DON'T REPOST A LET'S PLAY YOU'VE ALREADY FINISHED ON YOUTUBE OR SOMETHING.

Still, I have nothing to do, and am a GK fan, so you shall receive a critique. As to the "bitches" thing, don't see the problem, because you're calling yourselves that, although I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

KanaNetwork posted:

I've edited it to only have one video. Hopefully I've understood what you're getting at, I triple checked the rules, but was unable to find anything specifically called "YT Dump" anywhere. Sorry if I've misunderstood, thanks.

quote:

8. Don't recycle Let's Plays you've already done elsewhere unless they're really, really good.

This is completely subjective and up to the mods, so you're better off not doing it.

To paraphrase what the older hands here have said in the past- the Sandcastle is where you put up a sample of what you're planning, get criticism and advice on it, then try again. Continue until it doesn't need any more improvements and can be started for real. A YT Dump is not effective since it means you've already completed a number of videos, in which case you'll either have to re-record/edit them again after the fact, or you'll start doing it in newer videos. Which leaves several in a format that might not be effective/entertaining/good. Or something.

KanaNetwork
Feb 21, 2013

Paingod556 posted:

To paraphrase what the older hands here have said in the past- the Sandcastle is where you put up a sample of what you're planning, get criticism and advice on it, then try again. Continue until it doesn't need any more improvements and can be started for real. A YT Dump is not effective since it means you've already completed a number of videos, in which case you'll either have to re-record/edit them again after the fact, or you'll start doing it in newer videos. Which leaves several in a format that might not be effective/entertaining/good. Or something.

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I figured I could edit or re-record GK from the beginning in my own time, since we're still messing around with format. However, next time I'll make sure we haven't done any recording past the first episode prior. Thanks again for the clarification, and sorry for the confusion.

JamieTheD posted:

Still, I have nothing to do, and am a GK fan, so you shall receive a critique. As to the "bitches" thing, don't see the problem, because you're calling yourselves that, although I don't know why.

Thanks again for any critique, I expect we'll disappoint you knowing very little of the game.

KanaNetwork fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 21, 2013

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Eh, at the moment, what I'm seeing is that it's mostly reaction commentary and talking over cutscenes... it's less of a bad move for Gabriel Knight because not a whole lotta talkin' goes on in cutscenes, but it's still a bit of a no-no. Your audio levels mostly seem alright, but, for an SA LP, ya basically gots to be a lil' more orderly, and blind LPs are generally discouraged unless:

a) You're actually funny. No offence intended, but I wasn't laughing at the whole "Pretzels" misunderstanding during the cutscene.
b) Somebody who knows the game can guide you
c) You edit out the many cockups. Most would say cocking up on video more than twice is a bad idea. Opinions vary on this, of course.

It'd obviously take a while to see how badly you do not knowing the game, but one other thing that caught my eye was the blue text thing with pictures ya got goin' on with the vids. Gabriel's mum with "We Wanna Get Laid"? Really? Appreciate that you do, lasses, but comedy in update pics and the like is kinda difficult to do properly (go look at Bacter's LP to give you an idea of good update pics for an adventure game... also, Bacter's basically our best Sierra guy right now.)

Now, I can definitely understand you wanting to do a VLP (there is a SSLP on the archives, but the game does have voice acting), but basically... I can't really do much except point out that reaction commentary isn't the best, and totally blind isn't great either.

Suggested LPs to watch for shamelessly stealing schticks:

War For Cybertron - Coolguye and LastRoboKy have the best chemistry, there's a lot to learn about commentary from those two.
Bacter or SkippyGranola's LPs are often informative, and are well organised.
YourEvilTwin's recently finished Wolfenstein LP, or perhaps ResearchIndicates' LP of Trespasser... just because they're funny.

EDIT: Also, if y'all are gonna talk over the talk, turn the subtitles on!

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 21, 2013

KanaNetwork
Feb 21, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

Eh, at the moment, what I'm seeing is that it's mostly reaction commentary and talking over cutscenes... it's less of a bad move for Gabriel Knight because not a whole lotta talkin' goes on in cutscenes, but it's still a bit of a no-no.

Right now, we're definitely still trying to find our footing in terms of chemistry, which is sadly something you learn in time. So I can understand that concern completely. One of the things we recently discussed is actually trying to keep our comments as little over actual dialogue as we can after seeing the edits so far.

Either way, you've given me a lot of material to study, so I appreciate it. We're just getting our feet wet, and since both of us work in radio we're more used to friendly and collected news reporting. So the jump is pretty big. Thanks again!

Edit: We do turn the subtitles on once we find them. Thus one of the reasons we were willing to re-record.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

KanaNetwork posted:

What Type Of Let's Play Is It?
The entire Let's Play will be played together between two commentators who are bound to argue and make sexual remarks.

This sentence alone is going to turn a lot of people off, including myself.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

Waffleman_ posted:

You have a problem with two bitches doing vagina LPs? t:mad:

I have no speakers on this machine so I can't really say what's going on, but I hope it is more than "girls on youtube." By the way, KanaNetwork, are all your LPs blind? Is that your "thing"? I just wondered, because if your deal is to LP blind, then I am having trouble seeing what the Sandcastle can help with. It's not blind anymore if you redo videos using the great tips you get here; but I guess it could be of help for future episodes.

(I really need to buy some speakers...)

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

KanaNetwork posted:

I figured I could edit or re-record GK from the beginning in my own time, since we're still messing around with format.

Personally I wouldn't follow a blind run of a point & click adventure game, because those tend to really hilight tedious parts of the game, and can be very fustrating to watch if you know what the player should do either from experience or from catching something they did. That being said, if you're serious about re-recording it, I expect you'd know what to do, so that wouldn't be an issue, but I don't see you re-editing your current run to anything palatable. Other than that, judging from a cursory seeking of the video you linked, your setup is fine, tech-wise. You might consider having your co-commentator record their audio locally, and syncing the audio streams during editing, that'd up the overall audio quality greatly.

Others already mentioned talking over cut-scenes, but it bears emphasising: do it sparingly. Also, please off-screen any kind of settings tweaking and other menu-management. Other than that, and this is totally a subjective thing, mind, I didn't really find your commentary entertaining, and since the run is blind, it's not informative either, so it feels like it doesn't really add anything. Again, this might improve greatly if you end up redoing the game, so I remain optimistic.

Waffleman_ posted:

I have to admit, were this not Gabriel Knight, instead of clikcing the link, I'd have cringed and moved on...

e: I just saw the outro to the video. :what:

shinmai fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 21, 2013

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KanaNetwork posted:

Did I miss anything? Obviously new to this...

1)You missed the youtube dump rule.

2)you missed playing through this game at least once so you know what to do and don't just wander around like a god drat idiot.

3)You missed adjusting your sound levels so you two blathering idiots aren't completely drowning out the game.

4)You missed putting together notes so your commentary isn't completely redundant and reactionary.

5)You missed all your attempts at humor and were reduced to nothing but sex jokes.

6)You have a facebook for your LP so you missed what this LP forum is for.

7)You missed opportunity to lurk and not look like a dumbass

8)You missed on the chance to save ten dollars by signing up.

9)You missed editing out the stupid poo poo that no one wants to see

KanaNetwork posted:

I expect we'll disappoint you knowing very little of the game.
Then LP a game you do know!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

:golfclap:

shinmai posted:

e: I just saw the outro to the video. :what:
There is no shame left

I kinda skimmed through two of your videos a bit, and didn't like a single thing about them. In fact, I found them to be hella annoying.

To be precise, you're both painfully immature, not funny at all and your whole style seems to pander to the "hip" Lp crowd on Youtube. I dunno, both of you seem to be 12 or something? If that's the case, you're golden with the Yt crowd. Just be prepared to receive creepy messages from older men when your channel gets popular.

I guess what I want to say is, that you'll have a very hard time with producing something that isn't frowned upon in here. And that's putting it lightly. I don't want to be a jerk, but you may want to consider to start from scratch or to get out.

KanaNetwork posted:

Two bitches play stupid games
When did "bitch" become a term you want to label yourself with?

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Tin Tim posted:

I guess women have to use that kind of language to let the male audience know they're one of the 'good ones.' No fake gamer girls here.

KanaNetwork
Feb 21, 2013
Once again, I'd like to apologize for the confusion with my initial post. I was under the impression that if I was willing to re-edit or record posting four videos would be alright. I didn't realize this would be considered against the rules, so my bad.

I had a feeling the response here would be overly negative, but despite that it's still a lot of good criticism. Since we're still finding our footing, we're bound to make plenty of mistakes. It's kind of difficult to just jump in and do a Let's Play of any kind. So regardless if you hated it because of the type of LP it was or the type of attitude we had, pretty much everyone here was honest and upfront, and feedback is what we're looking for to improve. Even if we're doing it for fun, without improving nothing will really be gained in the long-run anyway.

Anyway, sorry I didn't reply to everyone's individual post, but that seemed like a cumbersome mess since a lot of the complaints were similar. Thanks again for checking us out.

P.S. I'd personally like to not just do blind runs. We started with games people suggested to us.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:

KanaNetwork posted:

P.S. I'd personally like to not just do blind runs. We started with games people suggested to us.

Well, there is your problem.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Really Pants posted:

It looks like resizing the original sprites from 512x256 to 512x280 gets the aspect pretty close to perfect. I'll try swapping out all the portraits this afternoon.

I don't think I can make this work. I can't resize or resample any of the sprites in Irfanview without getting a jaggy black outline. I suppose I could give them a black background, but it doesn't look much better.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

KanaNetwork posted:

Once again, I'd like to apologize for the confusion with my initial post. I was under the impression that if I was willing to re-edit or record posting four videos would be alright. I didn't realize this would be considered against the rules, so my bad.

I had a feeling the response here would be overly negative, but despite that it's still a lot of good criticism. Since we're still finding our footing, we're bound to make plenty of mistakes. It's kind of difficult to just jump in and do a Let's Play of any kind. So regardless if you hated it because of the type of LP it was or the type of attitude we had, pretty much everyone here was honest and upfront, and feedback is what we're looking for to improve. Even if we're doing it for fun, without improving nothing will really be gained in the long-run anyway.

Anyway, sorry I didn't reply to everyone's individual post, but that seemed like a cumbersome mess since a lot of the complaints were similar. Thanks again for checking us out.

Just remember that you won't always get excellent reception for excellent work here. Not all criticism is warranted and not all critics know what they're talking about.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

scary ghost dog posted:

Just remember that you won't always get excellent reception for excellent work here. Not all criticism is warranted and not all critics know what they're talking about.

Though with THAT being said, the Sandcastle tends to be more reliable than other forms of criticism, as at least here people can be banned/probated if they can't back up their opinions, so don't get discouraged by the criticism. Just pay attention to the technical details they're pointing out, and you'll be golden.

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

KanaNetwork posted:

This is something I feel many first day posters in Let's Play seem to imply or hash out in their posts, and something I got from your posts as well: don't feel like you need to do the LP right this second. YouTube isn't going anywhere, neither is this subforum; if you really don't feel like going blind, you can certainly take your time, familiarise yourself with the game, plan ahead and then start recording.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Once more, with feeling. How do these icons look?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Tin Tim posted:

It's cool, man, they're taking it back.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's cool, man, they're taking it back.

You're right, it's just in their YT account, page title, profile picture and goddamn lp-facebook account. But best of all, the title of a video uploaded just a few hours ago.

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:

Some may argue that they're a bit fuzzy (look at Dojima's stubble in his icon juxtaposed with the great screenshots). I'm assuming it's from the issues you were having with resampling? I'm sorry for nitpicking :(--personally, I don't mind it at all and think everything else looks great!

e: maybe get some feedback to see if it will actually bother anyone?

Dyslexiactic fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 22, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Size and aspect ratio are perfect. Still a tad fuzzy, but if you can't fix it it's not a huge problem.

e: You're gonna have votes on costumes, right?

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 22, 2013

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

Pizzatime posted:

You're right, it's just in their YT account, page title, profile picture and goddamn lp-facebook account. But best of all, the title of a video uploaded just a few hours ago.

I think Kaboom Dragoon meant it more in the sense that african americans "took back" the n-word, etc.

It does look a bit... smooth, but like Dyslexiactic, I think it looks good, and would happily read the whole LP were it formated like that. If you can get it to be sharper, it probably wouldn't hurt. Are you resizing the images in one go or in two operations? You might want to try two, one to a power-of-two size without resampling and then once with resampling to the correct aspect ratio.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

Really Pants posted:

P4G Test Post

I noticed that you're just linking straight to youtube for the music, you might want to consider Polsy so there's no spoilers in the comments or related videos.

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Pizzatime posted:

I feel like everyone is dancing around the real issue with these girls: That they are doing LPs to become "YouTube-famous," and using every attention-grabbing tactic in the book to do so.

We can give these two all the technical advice in the world, and advise them against YouTube dumping and whatnot. We can even criticize them for their commentary and tell them it sucks. But these two obviously aren't going to change anything: The purpose of them posting these videos here in the first place was - more likely than not - for a few extra views on their videos, even if the critical response was going to be negative.

Take a look at all the stuff surrounding their actual LP. Their channel name ("Two Bitches Play Stupid Games") is clearly meant to evoke memories of / make viewers think of "Two Best Friends Play," while the commentary itself is also very reminiscent of them as well. Every video has an obnoxious thumbnail with some stupid attempt at a catchphrase in it. They created a Facebook page specifically for their channel, and aggressively advertise it in their video descriptions / on their Twitter accounts / wherever they can find a place to plug it.

My point is, there is only so much advice of ours that they will be willing to heed. Best case scenario, they maybe listen to one or two comments about format advice. But their commentary itself with the obnoxious over-use of "bitch" and attempts at appealing to teenage boys who don't know any better will remain forever unchanged. Because that's what YouTube gaming partners have pretty much devolved into at this point, and because they are already hitting every check-mark on the list of "things to do to become a partner channel."

Glad I could help!

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

Habermann posted:

Take a look at all the stuff surrounding their actual LP. Their channel name ("Two Bitches Play Stupid Games") is clearly meant to evoke memories of / make viewers think of "Two Best Friends Play,"

Totally didn't make the connection, but now that you mention it...

shinmai posted:

You might want to try two, one to a power-of-two size without resampling and then once with resampling to the correct aspect ratio.

After re-reading that it sounds horribly convoluted, what I meant was something along the lines of what ivantod prescribed for Mondlicht a few days ago.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Hello everyone, I have come with a new Screenshot Let's Play for "The 7th Saga", and wish to run these segments by the Sandcastle before posting here. So here's the Intro, and here's the hypothetical "Part 1" (I wished to have people vote to choose my character, but obviously I need a gameplay segment for the sake of feedback, right?).

Intro: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=10370

Hypothetical Chapter 1: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=10461

Chapter 1 Gameplay Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og_nOYQ3Szs

The idea behind the video was that just in case any first time viewer was confused by what I was doing, or just wanted to hear and see the game for themselves, they could watch this video without commentary or edits, and watch it. This isn't me going with my "Do a screenshot AND narrated video LP" idea, it's just me posting some gameplay footage for people to watch if they want to.

Anyways, feel free to tear into this thing according to your wishes, and have a nice day!

EDIT: I replaced the Chapter 1 screenshot bit with the updated version of it, as I accidently posted the old version of it.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 22, 2013

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010
A lot of your formatting is broken in the test posts. Your links aren't actually links, and your bbcode isn't working.

quote:

[size=4][COLOR="#FF0000"]Kamil:[/COLOR][/size]

I'd also suggest using italics if you're going to have your own commentary mixed in with the character dialogue. It's really hard to differentiate. As in, have character dialogue not be italicized, and your commentary is in italics. Or whatever. Just so it's a little more readable.

vvv: I don't believe you can change colour/size except for custom titles for people. I think it says so when you look at the bbcode lines.

quote:

Color and Size #top

There are tags for [color] and [size], but they are only useable in custom user titles or where otherwise specificied. People tend to abuse these tags, so they are not allowed in most places.

Hampooj fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 22, 2013

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I actually do use italics, it's just, I accidently posted the old version of the Chapter 1 screenshot. I've already fixed that. But anyways, is there any way to fix the BB code in the formatting? I tried, but I haven't been able to get test poster to work for me.

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLsxo1lI_U6Y+

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 22, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I was under the impression the size and color tags didn't work on the forums anyway. I think the only place you can use them is with an avatar/custom title.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Yeah, size and color tags work elsewhere but not here.

If you want to shrink the text you can use the [sub] tag, like so

look at this little text

If you want large text you'll need to use images.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Fionordequester posted:

Hello everyone, I have come with a new Screenshot Let's Play for "The 7th Saga", and wish to run these segments by the Sandcastle before posting here. So here's the Intro, and here's the hypothetical "Part 1" (I wished to have people vote to choose my character, but obviously I need a gameplay segment for the sake of feedback, right?).

Intro: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=10370

Hypothetical Chapter 1: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=10461

Chapter 1 Gameplay Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og_nOYQ3Szs

The idea behind the video was that just in case any first time viewer was confused by what I was doing, or just wanted to hear and see the game for themselves, they could watch this video without commentary or edits, and watch it. This isn't me going with my "Do a screenshot AND narrated video LP" idea, it's just me posting some gameplay footage for people to watch if they want to.

Anyways, feel free to tear into this thing according to your wishes, and have a nice day!

EDIT: I replaced the Chapter 1 screenshot bit with the updated version of it, as I accidently posted the old version of it.

Okay, hitting me with a huge wall of text at the very beginning of the intro doesn't exactly endear me to this LP. Also, I don't like seeing the box art in your Chapter 1 when it could be used effectively as a header to your OP. I didn't read everything, but you seem to be well-versed in the game, which is good. When you give me music, don't just give the the url, give me an actual link (which you might want to run through polsy).

There seems to be something weird with some of the images as most of them are nice and crisp, but then some of them are blurry. It might just be the game, since 7th Saga always seemed right at home on a slightly blurry CRT. I'll take a better look when I get home. The gifs look great, and I'm very happy to see them. There's just something about how active things are in the turn-based battles that I always love to see.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

JetGrind posted:

I noticed that you're just linking straight to youtube for the music, you might want to consider Polsy so there's no spoilers in the comments or related videos.

Definitely do this. When I was playing P4 on the PS2 for the first time, I went to YouTube to look up music and a related video spoiled the culprit for me.

Edit: Like so

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

shinmai posted:

It does look a bit... smooth, but like Dyslexiactic, I think it looks good, and would happily read the whole LP were it formated like that. If you can get it to be sharper, it probably wouldn't hurt. Are you resizing the images in one go or in two operations? You might want to try two, one to a power-of-two size without resampling and then once with resampling to the correct aspect ratio.

I've been resizing the original sprites from 512x256 to 512x290, then cropping a 180x180 mugshot and resizing that down to 90x90. The portraits in that test post were made in Paint.NET with best-quality resampling, whatever that means. Doing some more now--it looks like bilinear resampling is the best compromise between smoothness & detail.

Irfanview kept the images nice and sharp, but unfortunately also made their outer edges really thick and jagged.

JetGrind posted:

That is a drat good idea that I really should have thought of before.

Alright, I will get to work on more portraits, powering through the game's first week, and getting that poo poo hosted & posted. Thanks so much for all the help, everybody. I realize this was a bit of a fiasco, but I am confident we can turn this season around.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 23, 2013

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Explosionface posted:

There seems to be something weird with some of the images as most of them are nice and crisp, but then some of them are blurry. It might just be the game, since 7th Saga always seemed right at home on a slightly blurry CRT. I'll take a better look when I get home. The gifs look great, and I'm very happy to see them. There's just something about how active things are in the turn-based battles that I always love to see.

Yeah, some of your material is blurry and some of it isn't. My only guess at the moment is that you're resizing each of your images individually instead of in a batch process with Irfanview.

What's your workflow?

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

JamieTheD posted:

YourEvilTwin's recently finished Wolfenstein LP, or perhaps ResearchIndicates' LP of Trespasser... just because they're funny.

Aw, thanks man. :D

So, since I've finished Wolfenstein, I'm starting Inversion. The video came out looking a little brighter than I intended (some of the sunny scenes can be a bit blinding) so I may upload a darker version. Pleas give any comments or criticisms that come to mind. Do I stay on the menu screens too much, should I give less info and just get on with the game?

----------------------

Gears of Half-Gravity: Let's Play Inversion

Davis Russell is a husband, a father, and an ordinary cop. When an unknown enemy invades peaceful Vanguard City, he suddenly finds himself deep in the midst of war.

With his wife lost, his daughter missing, and conventional weapons rendered useless, Davis and his partner Leo Delgado step up to answer the threat of war and face the enemy. Together, they must master fundamental forces of gravity to find Davis' daughter and save their world.

Don't just defy gravity. Command it.

Inversion is a third-person shooter developed by Saber Interactive, the same guys behind TimeShift, which I am also currently LPing. The game bears an uncanny resemblance to Gears of War but with likeable protagonists and colourful environments.

The game's main selling point is gravity manipulation. You'll float around in zero gravity and run around on walls and ceilings; you'll also get a Gravlink device, which works like a cross between Half-life 2's gravity gun and some of Mass Effect's biotic abilities.

:siren: No Spoilers, even Tagged :siren:

Inversion has a pretty surprising story, and one of the most compelling reasons to play the game is to learn the truth about the mysterious invaders. I am happy with people discussing what's been seen so far and coming up with theories, and I'm OK with people using spoiler tags to discuss minor things like upcoming weapons or enemies. However I am enforcing a strict NO SPOILERS policy regarding the main plot of the game. No big plot spoilers, not even in spoiler tags.

In the unlikely event that you are one of the very few people that actually bought this game, please don't give any hints. And don't be an arse and reveal the plot twist and try to disguise it as a guess or a theory. (On the other hand, if you see someone doing this, don't tell them off and draw attention to it, just ignore it.)

Prologue and Chapter 01
The first video includes the prologue and the first chapter.

For Vanguard City cops Davis and Leo it all started when Davis drove home to give his daughter a birthday present... Today marks the beginning of the end. Everything will be turned upside down.

According to the loading screens, an ugly run-in with the law at a young age pushed Leo to join a local gang, and Davis was born into a family of police officers. Davis has always been in tune with the streets, and his first assignment was trying to reform local gang members. (Presumably that's how Davis first met Leo.)

Weapons

Auto Shotgun

This weapon is badass. While most videogame shotguns are short-range weapons with a ridiculously wide spread, Inversion's Auto Shotgun does fantastic damage even at medium range. Normally you would expect developers to "balance" the weapon by forcing you to reload each shell individually, but nope, this one uses magazines! It's fantastic. A nice detail is that the sides of the gun have a number of shell-holders for spare ammo, and the shotgun shells are a mixture of green shells and grey shells, suggesting different brands of ammo from different ammo boxes.

Assault Rifle

The game seems to actively invite Gears of War comparisons by putting a a huge bayonet onto its assault rifle, allowing you to do do a special gruesome kill-move rather than a rifle-butt melee attack. The assault rifle's main purpose is to fire bullets, of course. As with the Auto Shotgun, the developers gave it a surprisingly realistic spread and accuracy; used in short bursts it is actually possible to snipe with it. The weapon is rather lacking in the damage department, however. It tears through the weaker skinny enemies but the bigger guys will stay standing until you've completely riddled them with bullets. (Unless you get a headshot and cause their skull to explode!) The assault rifle's design seems to be a mashup of features of the real-life G36, G36C and MG36.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 23, 2013

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I strongly suggest putting all the menu running and game exposition into its own video, with the actual game as its own video.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

your evil twin posted:

Gears of Half-Gravity: Let's Play Inversion

It sounds like you have some audio balance problems to me. You fade in and out at times I think. Going through the video you also seem to just hang back and do nothing a lot. I'm not sure how others feel about it but I find it pretty jarring.

And yeah I would agree that having the menu's for 5 minutes at the start is pretty uninteresting.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 23, 2013

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Ah thanks for the tip on the audio.

I feared the stuff about the menus might not be very interesting; rather than doing a separate video, I'm just going to get rid of showing off the menus entirely. I did it because I also showed off the menus in my TimeShift LP, but that was actually interesting because TimeShift has a very impressive set of menu options (I even got a couple of youtube comments along the lines of "this is the first time I've been tempted to buy a game due to its menu options"). Inversion has a rather more typical set of options so I might as well scrap it.

I've managed to get the bit where I talk about the game's features to about a minute and 15 seconds, so I reckon that should be OK to have that at the start of the video. (Some of the people that watch my videos are just random youtubers who don't have the benefit of reading an OP, so I like to have the start of the first video be a sort of "video OP".) I'll upload the new version tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

quote:

All the feedback I've gotten

So basically, I just need to fix some technical stuff, such as getting rid of useless BB code, using the game cover as a header for the Intro post, unblurring some of the images, making the music links clickable, and also fixing the wall of text at the beginning. So, something like this?

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=10582

I didn't bother with the "Hypothetical Chapter 1", since it may not even end up being the real thing, so this is just the Intro. So if the technical stuff is fixed, is there anything else I need to worry about? Or can I just go ahead and make the thread?

• Locked thread