Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-clicky-Model-M-Space-Saver-Keyboard-Removable-PS2-Cord-RARE-/221583633943

Only $150 right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
This is a 'babbies first mechanical keyboard' question but I'll ask anyway.

I've just got a Logitech G710+ for home and am finding it fairly loud even when I make the effort to not bottom out the keys. Being browns with o rings already installed this is about as quiet as mechanical keyboards get right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

dissss posted:

This is a 'babbies first mechanical keyboard' question but I'll ask anyway.

I've just got a Logitech G710+ for home and am finding it fairly loud even when I make the effort to not bottom out the keys. Being browns with o rings already installed this is about as quiet as mechanical keyboards get right?

No, a red or black will be much quieter. Or a topre.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

alo posted:

For the past decade and a half, I've used a Model M (at home, at work). It's great, I love it. I don't have any issues with noise and I absolutely love the feel of the keys.

I'd just like something a bit smaller without the numpad (that doesn't cost 300 dollars). I realize there are numerous keyswitch types -- so which, if any, is closest to the M's buckling spring?

None are really that close to the Model M. Clicky switches that are even close would be like the Cherry MX Blue and ALPS white switches, but they're not that similar. Aside from the very expensive old model M space savers, Unicomp (the only current buckling spring manufacturer) is working to produce a new keyboard that is supposed to be available soon that is in a small layout, but there's been no word about production since the announcement in April.

quote:

Unicomp, Inc.
April 2
***Press Release***

April 1, 2014
A message to our customers,
Today is Unicomp's 18th anniversary. I would like to extend a sincere Thank You to our many loyal customers. Your interest and passion for the buckling spring keyboards we make are greatly appreciated.

We hope to make the holiday season this year special with the development of a new 83 key product chassis. This new chassis will continue to use the full size buckling spring keys and curved profile. It will be 25% smaller yet pack significantly more functionality than the space saving keyboard (SSK) developed by IBM 20 years ago. There will be versions available that will include features such as a USB hub, a pointing stick mouse, Mac compatibility, detachable cable, and Fn functionality. I have included a rendering produced by a loyal customer (M. Farwig) that illustrates the concept we are working on. We welcome your thoughts and comments on this future product. Please send them to M83@unicomp.com.

Thanks again for your loyalty.
Sincerely,
Neil Muyskens

I'm hoping it'll be good. Also hoping for n-key rollover but I don't know if unicomp will be able to deliver it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Don Lapre posted:

How would reds or blacks be quieter? The differences are that they don't have the bump that the browns do and different actuation forces. It's not like the browns have a click like the blues do.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Just picked up my first mechanical keyboard (k70 mx blue) and holy poo poo. This thing is awesome.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

unpronounceable posted:

How would reds or blacks be quieter? The differences are that they don't have the bump that the browns do and different actuation forces. It's not like the browns have a click like the blues do.

Sorry got my switches mixed up.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
e: ok already got it, but I wrote a post anyways

Don Lapre posted:

A topre is quieter than any standard mechanical, true.

Red, black, and brown cherry are all the exact same as far as noise goes. Clacky if you bottom out, pretty quiet if you type lightly without bottoming. The notch in the brown switch makes no sound. With o-rings they have a lot less clack, but 2mm of rubber isn't magic and I suspect dissss either has a heavy hand or is particularly sensitive.

Also your desk or whatever the keyboard is on can have a big effect -- I have a heavy wood desk that resonates a lot with my board. I think the solid metal plate in most mechanicals transmits the thunk well. Put a spare mousepad or some folded cloth under it and you might find the volume quite improved.

Cherry clears are maybe the quietest because you're really really not supposed to bottom out with those. If you are you will probably have RSI problems.

43% Burnt
Aug 5, 2004
DID I STUTTER
So I recently bought a new CM Storm Quickfire XT Stealth with MX Cherry Green swtiches. It was a bitch to find one online, and I ended up purchasing it from a Canadian eBay seller. I received it and the spacebar was stuck in the depressed position. I managed to get it unstuck, but it feels sluggish and it gets stuck occasionally. I tried swapping the spacebar key and the stabilizer from a QuickFire Rapid that I have, but it's not any better.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I may just end up seeing if Cooler Master can fix it or swap it for another one, but since it was such a bitch to find I wonder if they even have one to send me. Anyone have experience with Cooler Master support?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

43% Burnt posted:

So I recently bought a new CM Storm Quickfire XT Stealth with MX Cherry Green swtiches. It was a bitch to find one online, and I ended up purchasing it from a Canadian eBay seller. I received it and the spacebar was stuck in the depressed position. I managed to get it unstuck, but it feels sluggish and it gets stuck occasionally. I tried swapping the spacebar key and the stabilizer from a QuickFire Rapid that I have, but it's not any better.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I may just end up seeing if Cooler Master can fix it or swap it for another one, but since it was such a bitch to find I wonder if they even have one to send me. Anyone have experience with Cooler Master support?

I have the same keyboard, purchased from the same Canadian eBay seller. No issues with mine, but I hear CM support is hit or miss.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Klyith posted:

e: ok already got it, but I wrote a post anyways

A topre is quieter than any standard mechanical, true.

Red, black, and brown cherry are all the exact same as far as noise goes. Clacky if you bottom out, pretty quiet if you type lightly without bottoming. The notch in the brown switch makes no sound. With o-rings they have a lot less clack, but 2mm of rubber isn't magic and I suspect dissss either has a heavy hand or is particularly sensitive.

Also your desk or whatever the keyboard is on can have a big effect -- I have a heavy wood desk that resonates a lot with my board. I think the solid metal plate in most mechanicals transmits the thunk well. Put a spare mousepad or some folded cloth under it and you might find the volume quite improved.

Cherry clears are maybe the quietest because you're really really not supposed to bottom out with those. If you are you will probably have RSI problems.

Clears are definitely quieter than Browns. I suspect Clears with o-rings would be very quietest although, as you say, they very rarely bottom out unless you're really hammering your board, so maybe they wouldn't make that much difference. Mine only go a hair past the actuation point now that I've adjusted to them.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Just got a K70 RGB red, the firmware and software is very buggy right now. If I have steam running on startup the corsair software hangs, I have to start it after steam is loaded.

Apart from that it's pretty cool, and has fancy lights all over it. The only other mechanical keyboard I have is a FILCO cherry black and I can't really tell much of a difference between red and black.

Other features: I set my capslock key to F13 and you can make the keys display a ghost chasing pacman.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

43% Burnt posted:

So I recently bought a new CM Storm Quickfire XT Stealth with MX Cherry Green swtiches.

Geirskogul posted:

I have the same keyboard, purchased from the same Canadian eBay seller. No issues with mine, but I hear CM support is hit or miss.

How have you found the Greens? I'm musing between greens and clears for my next keyboard.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Any word when corsair will update their RGB software?

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Rexxed posted:

None are really that close to the Model M. Clicky switches that are even close would be like the Cherry MX Blue and ALPS white switches, but they're not that similar. Aside from the very expensive old model M space savers, Unicomp (the only current buckling spring manufacturer) is working to produce a new keyboard that is supposed to be available soon that is in a small layout, but there's been no word about production since the announcement in April.

I'm hoping it'll be good. Also hoping for n-key rollover but I don't know if unicomp will be able to deliver it.

Check the date on that press release - I wouldn't hold my hopes up.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Hopefully by the UK release date, which is November 17th.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

By the end of the month.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

One Swell Foop posted:

Check the date on that press release - I wouldn't hold my hopes up.

They said after the announcement that it was a coincidence that it was on April 1st. They even changed the day to the 2nd.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

43% Burnt posted:

I managed to get it unstuck, but it feels sluggish and it gets stuck occasionally. I tried swapping the spacebar key and the stabilizer from a QuickFire Rapid that I have, but it's not any better.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

When you took the key top off, did you try pressing on the switch itself? That's what you want to do so you know whether the problem is with the switch internals or just something with the stabilizer or fittings. If it's actually the switch you could try squirting some non-conductive cleaner in there to give a shot at unsticking it.

The Quickfire XT is a costar board I'm pretty sure, the costar stabilizers I think are less likely to be hung up on stuff but it could happen. When I did the reverse spacebar trick I got it wrong the first time and the key got stuck, had to take it apart again and figure out exactly how to set the stabilizer catches.

43% Burnt
Aug 5, 2004
DID I STUTTER

El Scotch posted:

How have you found the Greens? I'm musing between greens and clears for my next keyboard.

I really do like the greens; they require a bit more force than my browns so it's taking some getting used to, but I find myself making fewer mistakes due to grazing the wrong key. That being said, I think the spacebar being sluggish is either psyching me out or really affecting my typing ability, as my speed has actually gone down.

Klyith posted:

When you took the key top off, did you try pressing on the switch itself? That's what you want to do so you know whether the problem is with the switch internals or just something with the stabilizer or fittings. If it's actually the switch you could try squirting some non-conductive cleaner in there to give a shot at unsticking it.

The Quickfire XT is a costar board I'm pretty sure, the costar stabilizers I think are less likely to be hung up on stuff but it could happen. When I did the reverse spacebar trick I got it wrong the first time and the key got stuck, had to take it apart again and figure out exactly how to set the stabilizer catches.

No problem with the switch. I've examined the spacebar and I can't see any place where it's wearing funny or anything. I find that it sticks most frequently when I press on the left side, plus I can clearly see the stabilizer bar underneath the key when it is fully seated. This is definitely not the case with my QuickFire Rapid with browns.

Cooler Master support got back to me. Their only suggestion was to make sure the USB cable was plugged in :psyduck:. I'm afraid to go that route if that's any indication of how it will go.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

El Scotch posted:

Loud as poo poo, but I'm okay with that, because typing on it is spectacular.

43% Burnt
Aug 5, 2004
DID I STUTTER
Pretty sure I figured out why my key was sticking. The switch itself wasn't sticky, but it was crooked. I took a nylon pick/spudger that I had laying around and a hammer and slightly tapped on it to correct it. I can't tell if it did much visibly, but it seems to be reacting a lot more smoothly.

I also ordered some o-rings from Amazon to put on it. The spacebar really seems (seemed?) to get sticky when bottomed out. I ordered the el cheapo Buna-N ones in case I don't care for the feel. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FMYR9S/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

43% Burnt posted:

Pretty sure I figured out why my key was sticking. The switch itself wasn't sticky, but it was crooked. I took a nylon pick/spudger that I had laying around and a hammer and slightly tapped on it to correct it. I can't tell if it did much visibly, but it seems to be reacting a lot more smoothly.

Ok. You might also check out this image album with pictures of removing / replacing costar stabilizer keys, because I'm wondering if the stabilizer wire is bent or not fully clipped in, because you shouldn't be able to see it underneath the key when it's pressed down.

43% Burnt
Aug 5, 2004
DID I STUTTER

Klyith posted:

Ok. You might also check out this image album with pictures of removing / replacing costar stabilizer keys, because I'm wondering if the stabilizer wire is bent or not fully clipped in, because you shouldn't be able to see it underneath the key when it's pressed down.

Yeah, it's definitely in there correctly.

Here's some images:
http://i.imgur.com/LTWqQ7i.jpg
The switch in the foreground is the spacebar switch, and behind it is the B switch. Hard to tell, but the B switch is straight while the spacebar switch is skewed to the right.

http://i.imgur.com/HhjAUDE.jpg
Here's the key when completely seated. It doesn't sit quite flat and the stabilizer is totally visible.

I've taken care of the sticking issues but I'm still contemplating an RMA. This is an expensive-rear end keyboard that's billed as a precision instrument. I bought the stealth version because I liked the aesthetics, but this totally mars the looks of it.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

What's the current option for a decently-quiet mechanical keyboard with no numerical pad (but that has a USB port on it)? Or am I asking for too much?

I'm not a gamer - just a dude who's sick of his lovely wireless keyboard and wants something minimal that won't look crappy on his desk. I do a lot of photoshop + writing + CAD work.

Alternatively - is there a nice-looking/minimal tenkeyless wireless keyboard out there?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Guitarchitect posted:

What's the current option for a decently-quiet mechanical keyboard with no numerical pad (but that has a USB port on it)? Or am I asking for too much?

I'm not a gamer - just a dude who's sick of his lovely wireless keyboard and wants something minimal that won't look crappy on his desk. I do a lot of photoshop + writing + CAD work.

Alternatively - is there a nice-looking/minimal tenkeyless wireless keyboard out there?

https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Well, I'm clearly heading down the rabbit hole. Got in on that Massdrop for the Vertex PBT/POM backlight compatible, OEM-profile keycaps that they did a few weeks back. They came in, and I think they're awesome. Feels so much better than the already better-than-I'm-used-to CODE default keycaps, and white backlit keys on a black keyboard looks cool :3:

poo poo. I already liked mechanical keyboards and THEY'RE supposed to be the expensive thing in that equation, I thought! LEGOs for adults...

Edit: I removed the stabilizer bars from every key except the Space bar. The only one I might put it back for is the Right Shift; if I press it riiight on the outside edge, it won't actuate at the same force as the rest of it, but that isn't where my fingers ever go and it's much quieter without it. I was kind of surprised at how unnecessary the comparatively noisy bars are - maybe I'll find out later that they're all that saves longer keys from getting broken in half or something, but for the time being I have a much quieter computing experience all around without them. And they're kind of a pain in the rear end to work with anyway, so win-win, I guess!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 28, 2014

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Agreed posted:

Well, I'm clearly heading down the rabbit hole. Got in on that Massdrop for the Vertex PBT/POM backlight compatible, OEM-profile keycaps that they did a few weeks back. They came in, and I think they're awesome. Feels so much better than the already better-than-I'm-used-to CODE default keycaps, and white backlit keys on a black keyboard looks cool :3:

Got a photo? I like the keycaps on the CODE but I just know they're going to go worn out and shiny and annoy me at some point. I was wondering how well the backlight would play with other keycaps.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

chippy posted:

Got a photo? I like the keycaps on the CODE but I just know they're going to go worn out and shiny and annoy me at some point. I was wondering how well the backlight would play with other keycaps.

I'll take one in a bit, no problem :) Between the CODE's bright damned LEDs and WASD (filco? costar?... drawing a blank) painting the mounting board, the lowest brightness setting actually illuminates the entire keycap from the back when it's darker in the room. The letters are vivid and bright, just like when there's direct light shining on it, but in the dark the keycaps go from solid white to a really cool bright gray.

A picture is gonna be worth more than all the :words: here, so I'll make sure to take one of it in the daylight and in the dark. Very satisfied with the purchase and already looking at other cool keycap options out there, god help me!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
End of the month is fast approaching, I wonder if Corsair will stick to their promise of updated software before the months ends.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Guitarchitect posted:

I got a Max keyboard while looking for a 10-keyless keyboard with a USB hub on it. I got an MX Brown set of switches and red LEDs (they can be turned off, I turned mine off completely) but this has been fine for me and I'm pretty much done lusting for keyboards. http://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-Blackbird-Tenkeyless-Mechanical/dp/B00GRINJR0/

Ok, well I'm still looking for what amounts to a HHKB2 Pro at this point without paying goddamn $260 for one but I won't want anything more beyond this. https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=pfu_keyboards,hhkbpro2&pid=pdkb400b

Alright maybe I want some macro controls for playing certain games that are giving me RSI from hitting a key constantly, but I think it's better I just quit said games than to pay for another keyboard to deal with it.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu1gP4PfqCQ

I can see why they last so long now.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Here's an album with some poorly taken photos of my keyboard. iPhone 3GS had kind of a poo poo camera when it was new, and it has not improved with age :v:
http://imgur.com/a/VuvZm

These two show the difference between lights and no lights pretty well. Color isn't quite right, they're a little whiter than the picture shows. Not completely white, though. Very light gray, really. Pops like crazy against the black of the frame, and as mentioned they feel fantastic to type on.

These aren't even that pricy compared to many. Somewhere around $40 if you want them tomorrow, though I went with Massdrop so I got to think about 'em for a month and a half. I am curious what more expensive ones have to offer. These are not at all insubstantial and they're made with a cool blend of materials. Good texture on the fingers.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 28, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I also got the PBT backlit keycaps, and I'm rather less impressed. They feel great, of course, being PBT keycaps, but the legend font and layout (vertically stacked, which means the lower ones are just not backlit at all) is not terribly attractive, and a far cry from the clean and classy look of the CODE keycaps.

E: Here are two pictures of it on my Ducky DK2108S with blue LEDs.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 28, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Mind if I ask what the packaging for yours said? Mine came as "KBtalKing History T" on the lid (followed by some Chinese characters), with PBT & POM written out in black, glossy print on the side.

Unusual plastic from China: not just for foodstuffs anymore.

Edit: The right shift stabilizer bar does not appear to do anything, although I can hear myself use the Shift key a bit louder now so that's... Well, I'm not going to be arsed with taking the damned thing off again, as those little stabilizer bar retainer clip thingies break really easily.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 28, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
My packaging is the same. This is the type of packaging typically used for loose tea leaves, so I was pretty amused that it came in one of these.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Visidan posted:

That was actually a really cool video.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Wow, you guys really like your nice keyboards.

I'm happy with the stock MacBook Air keyboard, but I find myself working on an external monitor and want to set it up so that I'm typing on a bluetooth keyboard and using a mouse. What's the go-to Mac bluetooth keyboard with number pad? I'd just go with the Apple wireless keyboard, but it has no number pad.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

tuyop posted:

Wow, you guys really like your nice keyboards.

I'm happy with the stock MacBook Air keyboard, but I find myself working on an external monitor and want to set it up so that I'm typing on a bluetooth keyboard and using a mouse. What's the go-to Mac bluetooth keyboard with number pad? I'd just go with the Apple wireless keyboard, but it has no number pad.

If you want the chiclet style, Belkin has a standalone bluetooth numpad, or Logitech has this thing but it uses its own dongle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Nice keyboards are nice. Heck people here paid 10 bux to post in an internet forum, might as well spend some more when we are facing computers all day long. It's the internet so it's so easy to find people who like to :spergin: about all sorts of hobbies

Visidan posted:

It's a cool video! I do wonder if they actually replace their force actuators frequently enough though. They claim that the switches can last a 50 million times but if the puncher gets dulled they can easily cook the numbers up to prove 100 million actuations. And their factory could have been produced in China but because of EU product laws, the final product must be made in the EU and produced in Germany for the company contracts. So most of the parts are sourced from China.

It's a great video and I hope you guys appreciate the work people go through to make your everyday product. A 2 cent cost increase overall increase is not as simple just spending some money. Everything has to be tested and validated, supply chain partners have to be notified, etc...

One thing I do want to ask, which part in the keyboard is the most prone to failure? Is it the main PCB breaking down due to humidity? Or the stabilizer wires?

• Locked thread