Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's a loophole, the latest released chapters aren't available anywhere in English legally yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also being a backseat mod is really endearing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sorry for trying to help a dude not get probated.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Is 62 released yet?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Somehow no. I thought AoT was really popular, so shouldn't a translator have done it by now? Are we still waiting on decent raws or something?

EDIT: Ah, forgot it's being simulpubed by Crunchyroll.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 8, 2014

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The official release is at 7pm central

I don't know how these things normally go, but an official (free) English release so close to the release of the raws would seem to be kind of discouraging for fan translators.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 8, 2014

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I just read the chapter and one point of those spoilers isn't true. Eren turns Titan and takes a bite out of his Dad AFTER the mysterious injection.

At least, I think that's what happened. Isayama isn't exactly a top notch comics artist/storyteller, although he's good at coming up with story ideas

I like the part with Erwin and the judge guy realizing that ideals and poo poo are hunky dory, but really it all comes down to personal ego

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Saagonsa posted:

The official release is at 7pm central

I don't know how these things normally go, but an official (free) English release so close to the release of the raws would seem to be kind of discouraging for fan translators.

I would imagine so.

Their whole slow paced attack on politics was my favorite running part so far and I'm sad to see it end(if politics really are settled). At the same time, though, I can hardly wait to see what's beginning to happen. :)

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

So based on the spoilers provided by Nelson it would seem that Grisha was a shifter and devoured the Reiss bastards in order to make sure that the coordinate ability was passed on to Eren.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

threeagainstfour posted:

So based on the spoilers provided by Nelson it would seem that Grisha was a shifter and devoured the Reiss bastards in order to make sure that the coordinate ability was passed on to Eren.

Correct. My guess is the Reiss would attempt to maintain the status quo while he knew that Eren would do everything to destroy it. Though that brings up the question of why he didn't do it himself. Either way Grisha is certainly not a morally righteous guy.

http://youtu.be/K1xGix7dw7w?t=3m5s Puts everything he says in this scene into perspective.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 9, 2014

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Scrollin' through this thread with the mouse pointer all the way to the left of the screen. :suspense:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

tentative8e8op posted:

I would imagine so.

Their whole slow paced attack on politics was my favorite running part so far and I'm sad to see it end(if politics really are settled). At the same time, though, I can hardly wait to see what's beginning to happen. :)

Change a few words around and you're talking about Vinland Saga.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Bluemillion posted:

Scrollin' through this thread with the mouse pointer all the way to the left of the screen. :suspense:

Well hey now you won't have to.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read/manga?volume_id=273&chapter_num=62.00 is up.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This never loads for some reason. I thought it might be adblock, it might be chrome, but no, nothing I try gets it working.

Did they stop doing the "latest chapter is free" thing?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I knew ittttt

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jackard posted:

This never loads for some reason. I thought it might be adblock, it might be chrome, but no, nothing I try gets it working.

Did they stop doing the "latest chapter is free" thing?

Not sure what the problem is, I logged out and could still see the latest chapter (and ad) just fine; I'm in chrome too. That's weird and lovely, not sure what you should try.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

a kitten posted:

Not sure what the problem is, I logged out and could still see the latest chapter (and ad) just fine; I'm in chrome too. That's weird and lovely, not sure what you should try.
Turns out it was the Disconnect plugin for Chrome. No idea why this also affected Internet Explorer.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Correct. My guess is the Reiss would attempt to maintain the status quo while he knew that Eren would do everything to destroy it. Though that brings up the question of why he didn't do it himself. Either way Grisha is certainly not a morally righteous guy.

http://youtu.be/K1xGix7dw7w?t=3m5s Puts everything he says in this scene into perspective.

Interesting to look back on. So that entire family had that power? What did they even use it for? Did Grisha infiltrate the walls from outside to do all of this?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty much as everyone suspected by now "when a titan eats a human who can become a titan it gains their powers". But in this case why didn't that titan that ate Eren gain his powers?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

MeLKoR posted:

Pretty much as everyone suspected by now "when a titan eats a human who can become a titan it gains their powers". But in this case why didn't that titan that ate Eren gain his powers?

I'm guessing it was because Eren wasn't dead yet when he transformed in the titan's stomach?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I like the visual imagery on page 43 and 45.

Not only is it really well drawn but Eren is wearing very similar clothes to his father.

But yeah big plot points.

Erwin and Zackley don't really care about humanity. Just their agendas. Though Erwin may be playing along. He's based on Ozymandias from The Watchmen after all.

Grisha murdered the Reiss family and devoured their children. You can even see the mother bitten in half there.

Rod Reiss might really be a ruthlessly pragmatic good guy. At the very least he genuinely cares about his children, and had to watch his older kids die in front of his eyes. Poor guy.

Next month is the nuclear bomb, where Rod Reiss explains what's really going on in the walls.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 9, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Okay, now the "girl in the mirror" thing makes sense.

Eren gained not only the memories of his father but also the memories of those his father had eaten, and these shared memories keep spiraling deeper like that.
The 'reincarnation' that posters joked about wasn't too far off from 'successor'

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 9, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

MeLKoR posted:

Because the titan that ate Eren wasn't a human who can become a titan? It was just a regular titan, whatever that ends up meaning. Even if it was originally human, it no longer had the ability to return to that state and thus would gain nothing from eating Eren.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Because the titan that ate Eren wasn't a human who can become a titan? It was just a regular titan, whatever that ends up meaning. Even if it was originally human, it no longer had the ability to return to that state and thus would gain nothing from eating Eren.
It just never finished him. Remember that Ymir was also mindless for sixty years.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Erwin and Zackley don't really care about humanity. Just their agendas. Though Erwin may be playing along. He's based on Ozymandias from The Watchmen after all.

I honestly can't tell if Erwin is just realpolitiking to blend in with Zackly, or whether being tortured for days by the Fritz government finally broke him.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I don't think that's correct. Normal titans can regain their humanity. That actually answers why Titans eat people. They're subconciously trying to find the right individual to devour to regain their humanity. Eren got eaten but he wasn't dead or in it's stomach but for a minute or two. Reiner threw titans at Eren back in chapter 49, it didn't matter who devoured him they just were desperate to get his power. Eren was a normal titan for a few moments before he devoured his father.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 9, 2014

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I honestly can't tell if Erwin is just realpolitiking to blend in with Zackly, or whether being tortured for days by the Fritz government finally broke him.

I think Erwin is realizing in the stagecoach "Ohhhh poo poo, I just helped instigate a military coup and maybe the guys I was conspiring with aren't as benevolent as I thought. I should tell them what they want to hear, lest they decide my colleagues and I are expendable now."

edit: haha Hanji is pretty much channeling Loose Change in this chapter. "Jet fuel can't melt steel.../It was a particularly well-built chapel, made of stone, not wood. Of course, even stone buildings weaken after a fire, but..."

She's not saying anything, she's just asking questions.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 9, 2014

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MeLKoR posted:

I'm kind of tempted to go back and dig up all the posts that explicitly and adamantly argued that this exact reveal wouldn't happen and proceeded to call people idiots for picking up on the clues. This stuff had been hinted at pretty clearly for a few dozen chapters.

JethroMcB posted:

I think Erwin is realizing in the stagecoach "Ohhhh poo poo, I just helped instigate a military coup and maybe the guys I was conspiring with aren't as benevolent as I thought. I should tell them what they want to hear, lest they decide my colleagues and I are expendable now."

Yeah, I agree, that was my interpretation of that scene as well.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Grisha murdered the Reiss family and devoured their children. You can even see the mother bitten in half there.

I'm starting to wonder whether or not Grisha is connected with the outsider Titans. Attacking the Reiss family to (speculatively) seize their Controller ability and pass it on to Eren -- and we know the outsiders know about it since they immediately realized what was happening when Eren commanded the Titans against Bertholdt and Reiner.

coathat
May 21, 2007

drat that was some lazy drawing. You'd think he could hire someone to work on the backgrounds a little.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

What? It's my understanding that ALL titans were originally humans. Ymir appeared to just be a regular titan before she ate a shifter afterall.

So the memories Eren has are from the Reiss family and who they've eaten. But what about the weird part in the first chapter with Eren apparently having a flashback? That takes place before Eren would've ate his father and gained the memories. This also debunks the theory that he used his coordinate power on Mikasa when she killed the bandit when they were kids.

Anyway, I wonder what Grisha was trying to accomplish by having Eren eat him. Was it just so the coordinate power would be hidden since no one would know Eren had it?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 9, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Zackley is fairly benevolent. He is just not sugarcoating why he went along with the coup. He hated the kings court and wanted to bring them down and thats the reason he joined the coup.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I think he is just being realistic with himself about his motivations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

RatHat posted:

What? It's my understanding that ALL titans were originally humans. Ymir appeared to just be a regular titan before she ate a shifter afterall.

So the memories Eren has are from the Reiss family and who they've eaten. But what about the weird part in the first chapter with Eren apparently having a flashback? That takes place before Eren would've ate his father and gained the memories. This also debunks the theory that he used his coordinate power on Mikasa when she killed the bandit when they were kids.

Anyway, I wonder what Grisha was trying to accomplish by having Eren eat him. Was it just so the coordinate power would be hidden since no one would know Eren had it?

He knows Eren's the only dude bad enough to kill every titan

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

See my post a few pages back. I don't think that's a flashback any-more. It's Eren having an encounter with one of the memory manipulating people, possibly the same one that Historia knew.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Im not buying into the "Reiss is actually a nice guy" story.

Murdering the whole Reiss family was certanily brutal, but we cant say Grisha did it for selfish reasons, for power or personal gain. He will later himself to pass this powers to eren. He must have a reson, a good one.

And he seems to be acting with the Reiner-Annie-Berthold gang, since he obviously knew about their strike on Wall Maria. And like then, he seems to be willing to commit the most extreme acts to achieve some objective, whatever it is.

Bottom line: I think he had a reason to kill the Reiss family, and the Reiss are probably part of whatever it is that the Human-titans are trying to destroy.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im not buying into the "Reiss is actually a nice guy" story.

Murdering the whole Reiss family was certanily brutal, but we cant say Grisha did it for selfish reasons, for power or personal gain. He will later himself to pass this powers to eren. He must have a reson, a good one.

And he seems to be acting with the Reiner-Annie-Berthold gang, since he obviously knew about their strike on Wall Maria. And like then, he seems to be willing to commit the most extreme acts to achieve some objective, whatever it is.

Bottom line: I think he had a reason to kill the Reiss family, and the Reiss are probably part of whatever it is that the Human-titans are trying to destroy.

He might have been going there to get the controller ability for them, but then after seeing the destruction caused/loss of his wife decided he wasn't with them anymore.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Pensive posted:

See my post a few pages back. I don't think that's a flashback any-more. It's Eren having an encounter with one of the memory manipulating people, possibly the same one that Historia knew.

Isn't the same one Historia knew Frieda? Her elder half-sister?

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

And he seems to be acting with the Reiner-Annie-Berthold gang

Nah I don't think so he intended to come back and show eren the basement and whatever the next step of his plan was. Not to mention leaving them to likely get killed by titans.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Isn't the same one Historia knew Frieda? Her elder half-sister?

Seems like it, yeah. She might have been the one holding the coordinate too since she was a shifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

RatHat posted:

I'm confused about the same thing you are.
That oldest daughter Freida sure looks like the same lady that was visiting Historia. But now that we know Eren didn't have his special power all along, why on earth would she be visiting Eren?

Maybe she never was, we just jumped to the wrong conclusion, but I don't think so. Things in this story are foreshadowed for a reason, and that weird bit in chapter one with Eren crying for some reason he can't remember has to mean something. The only thing I can think of is that Grisha had some very deep connections to the royal family, which is why he had so much knowledge about the titans and their true nature, and was able to eventually launch the attack he did. Maybe he was part of the inner circle because the supposedly-benevolent royal family used his knowledge to sustain humanity, like when he stopped that plague. And by giving Eren secret subliminal lessons just like Historia was getting, they may have been grooming Eren to play a similar role in the future?

What's really interesting to think about is - was Grisha originally on the royals' side, but later turned on them and sold them out to whoever's ordering Annie, Bert and Ernie? Or was he an infiltrator from the very beginning, hoping to gain and exploit their knowledge?