Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
UFO Defense did admittedly do a better job at FF since one of the morale failure events was going berserk. When a soldier went berserk, he would spin around toward a random target he could see and shoot a random number of bullets at it, before spinning to another target he could see and shooting more random bullets at that one. This process repeated until the soldier was out of TUs.

This is definitely more immersive for a number of reasons, but by the same token you also don't have your designated Heavy shooting off a rocket launcher in the middle of a friendly formation, killing 5 soldiers in one panic event. The worst that happens in an EU panic event is you lose 1 guy. Yes, I get it that 1 soldier in EU is a bigger deal than in UFO, but it still doesn't even come CLOSE to the chaos that a panic wave could sow in UFO. Not even CLOSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Ravenfood posted:

Hell, panic would be even less infuriating/more hilarious if they changed the animation, gave them significant miss chances/made them do half damage if they hit, and gave them like 2-4 attacks on things they can see. Just spraying fire everywhere. I don't know what snipers do here (maybe they fall back a lot), but anything with automatic fire would look a lot better just spraying their gun everywhere. Hell, let them shoot at corners/cover too. So most of the time, the effect of panic is that they have an empty gun, but sometimes they'll fry cover, hurt an alien, hurt a friend, and totally rarely, they'll crit every single chryssalid on screen in the face. Or the VIP and highest three squadmembers on your team. Who knows!

Or just changed the animation and make the shot do half damage/use more ammo/both because not all the rounds/all of the beam is connecting.

Some friendly fire would be ok, but not as the most likely reaction when panicking. Shot a wall once in a while if you have to panic fire.

Coolguye posted:

This is definitely more immersive for a number of reasons, but by the same token you also don't have your designated Heavy shooting off a rocket launcher in the middle of a friendly formation, killing 5 soldiers in one panic event. The worst that happens in an EU panic event is you lose 1 guy. Yes, I get it that 1 soldier in EU is a bigger deal than in UFO, but it still doesn't even come CLOSE to the chaos that a panic wave could sow in UFO. Not even CLOSE.

No at higher difficulties it chains and you can wipe five guys at once.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Definitely a valid set of points, but it does bear thinking about that in EU, you're hard-locked to six dudes. Losing a full 1/6th of your entire force is a setback, but even moreso when you have so few to begin with. It's kinda like losing a finger. Sure, it's just one finger, but you lose something like 40% of your manual dexterity. I think. I can't remember the exact number.

But yeah, I do think they could have/can do panic events better in EU. I don't think they'll change anything, but they could.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Veyrall posted:

Definitely a valid set of points, but it does bear thinking about that in EU, you're hard-locked to six dudes. Losing a full 1/6th of your entire force is a setback, but even moreso when you have so few to begin with. It's kinda like losing a finger. Sure, it's just one finger, but you lose something like 40% of your manual dexterity. I think. I can't remember the exact number.

But yeah, I do think they could have/can do panic events better in EU. I don't think they'll change anything, but they could.

Maybe I've just been lucky but so far on my classic run I've lost only 2 or 3 troops to friendly fire. Most panic events will be either random fire on the enemy, which works out well most of the time. Or occasionally they'll break cover to run away but run out of moves and be left in the open uncovered. Or lately they've just hunkered down and lost a turn.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

hhhmmm posted:

No at higher difficulties it chains and you can wipe five guys at once.
No, it is not going to kill 5 people. Even if every shot fired is a kill shot, and every single person on your team panics, the worst death toll you can have is 3. And again, that presumes everyone panics, nobody has an angle on the aliens, and everyone chooses to shoot someone instead of hunker town, run away, or just freeze. Yes, this is half your squad. Yes, this hurts. It still doesn't even remotely compare to UFO. Particularly when this happenstance is so INCREDIBLY REMOTE. I have played multiple games of Classic, Implassic, and Impossible. I have never, ever lost more than 1 man at a time due to a panic wave. 1 dead, 1 wounded, sure. 2 dead? Never happened.

In UFO, you could lose half your squad to a SINGLE panic event. ONE soldier panicking. It didn't even need to be a dude with a rocket launcher. The berserk soldier just needed to have an auto-fire weapon and be close to a knot of other soldiers.

Veyrall posted:

Definitely a valid set of points, but it does bear thinking about that in EU, you're hard-locked to six dudes.
Again, I get this, but you plain and simple do not have the dude with the rocket launcher firing rockets at his feet the way you did in UFO. You do not have a dude able to fire 6 bullets in one round (2 Auto Fire actions) all capable of killing a soldier. You do not have panic-inducing psychic attacks coming from literally everywhere after turn 20, when the aliens magically get to see everything on the map. And you sure as motherfucking poo poo do not have aliens toting remote guided Blaster Bombs to nuke half your squad, inducing panic completely from off-screen and heralding an entire secondary wave of deaths from people going berserk and shooting allies, literally dropping their weapons on the ground and running into the open in blind fear to be shot by opportunistic xenos.

And all of this could happen on the BEGINNER difficulty, very easily.

Could panic events in EU be done better? You bet your rear end they could. Should there be different possibilities for panic events based on difficulty? Absolutely! Perhaps on Easy friendly fire is just disabled totally, and on Normal it's half as likely when compared to anything else. But anyone saying it's un-intuitive or a bad addition is silly, and if you complain it's too harsh by its mere existence you come off as a huge whiner.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Coolguye posted:

No, it is not going to kill 5 people. Even if every shot fired is a kill shot, and every single person on your team panics, the worst death toll you can have is 3.

You're bad at counting. Since panicked guys can be targeted after doing their kill shot, the maximum possible is 5.

Coolguye posted:

It still doesn't even remotely compare to UFO.

And you could only select four guys at a time in warcraft 1. It's not relevant to the discussion.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

hhhmmm posted:

You're bad at counting. Since panicked guys can be targeted after doing their kill shot, the maximum possible is 5.
Yeah I forgot that, so you are correct in theory. That doesn't change that the chances of this happening are so low that I'd happily take 10% shots on aliens before I banked on this happening.

quote:

And you could only select four guys at a time in warcraft 1. It's not relevant to the discussion.
No, it's completely relevant to the discussion. If you make a game that's supposed to take after another, it's totally legitimate to compare the mechanics of one to another. I cannot think of a single pair of related games where this has not occurred, even in the XCOM franchise itself - people to this day complain that Enforcer didn't even deserve the XCOM name because it had nothing to do with how UFO and/or TFTD worked. By the way, another way panic's been nerfed: In EU, panic cannot happen two turns in a row. Units explicitly have to be calm before they can be thrown into panic, so even if bad poo poo happens to them while panicked, they won't continue to panic. In UFO/TFTD, units had to make a Bravery check at the start of every round to not panic. It was completely possible for a unit to panic 4, 5, 6 turns in a row. And each time, if they were holding a weapon, they could go berserk and start a bunch of friendly fire.

Compared to UFO and TFTD the chances of a panic wave causing a total wipe are TINY. And let's not forget that a total wipe in this game means you just need to replace your soldiers. In UFO, if you totally wiped, you'd have to replace your Skyranger as well. If you're really that pissed off about a psychological component to your games then I'd recommend you either find/make a mod that disables panic completely or just suggest that this isn't the game for you. Panic throwing a monkey wrench into your tactical plans is a huge part of the XCOM experience and has been since the beginning. And if anything the monkey wrenches have become a 1/8" crescent wrench in the latest game.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Yeah I forgot that, so you are correct in theory. That doesn't change that the chances of this happening are so low that I'd happily take 10% shots on aliens before I banked on this happening.

No, it's completely relevant to the discussion. If you make a game that's supposed to take after another, it's totally legitimate to compare the mechanics of one to another. I cannot think of a single pair of related games where this has not occurred, even in the XCOM franchise itself - people to this day complain that Enforcer didn't even deserve the XCOM name because it had nothing to do with how UFO and/or TFTD worked. By the way, another way panic's been nerfed: In EU, panic cannot happen two turns in a row. Units explicitly have to be calm before they can be thrown into panic, so even if bad poo poo happens to them while panicked, they won't continue to panic. In UFO/TFTD, units had to make a Bravery check at the start of every round to not panic. It was completely possible for a unit to panic 4, 5, 6 turns in a row. And each time, if they were holding a weapon, they could go berserk and start a bunch of friendly fire.

Compared to UFO and TFTD the chances of a panic wave causing a total wipe are TINY. And let's not forget that a total wipe in this game means you just need to replace your soldiers. In UFO, if you totally wiped, you'd have to replace your Skyranger as well. If you're really that pissed off about a psychological component to your games then I'd recommend you either find/make a mod that disables panic completely or just suggest that this isn't the game for you. Panic throwing a monkey wrench into your tactical plans is a huge part of the XCOM experience and has been since the beginning. And if anything the monkey wrenches have become a 1/8" crescent wrench in the latest game.
drat which alien shot at you :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

zylche posted:

drat which alien shot at you :v:

If it was the aliens shooting at me I wouldn't be so pissed off god dammit rookie at least stop using auto shots :rant:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I like panic, adds a random element into the game that makes it interesting.

Hearing my guy panic and then crossing my fingers he fires back or at least hunkers down, but then watching as he pisses his pants and runs right into three mutons in overwatch is kind of funny. Do friendly kills count as experience? Could you level a guy on FF kills? This is important, I need to know!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Burning_Monk posted:

I like panic, adds a random element into the game that makes it interesting.

Hearing my guy panic and then crossing my fingers he fires back or at least hunkers down, but then watching as he pisses his pants and runs right into three mutons in overwatch is kind of funny. Do friendly kills count as experience? Could you level a guy on FF kills? This is important, I need to know!

I like it too nine times out of ten. It's just when I get a situation last night where half of my squad died (one from friendly fire, one from running out into the middle of the street and being as good ad dead) to a single thinman who's only action was landing next to two people and poisoning them that they get infuriating. Hilariously infuriating, but still infuriating.

I think it could have been designed a bit better (Honestly, having the enemies actually do friendly fire during a panic would fix a lot in my mind) but as-is, it's really not that bad.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I just had a guy panic and hunker down behind a burning car.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Benagain posted:

I just had a guy panic and hunker down behind a burning car.
God I hate that so much. The only thing worse is when the VIP gets poisoned and panics, causing another soldier to panic, who then shoots the VIP in the face.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

misguided rage posted:

God I hate that so much. The only thing worse is when the VIP gets poisoned and panics, causing another soldier to panic, who then shoots the VIP in the face.

Yeah but if it was that weasel traitor guy who's trying to lawyer up, he totally deserves to be shot in the face.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
He died in my second slingshot mission, and I was AOK with that, if for no other reason then I couldn't change the color of his armor.

And then my squad wiped in the battleship and all I had was rookies.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I just hope the new maps don't fall into the "complexity=better!" route that TFTD and the maps ended up being labyrinthine clusterfucks.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FISHMANPET posted:

He died in my second slingshot mission, and I was AOK with that, if for no other reason then I couldn't change the color of his armor.

Haha, I think he's talking about the actual civilian VIP you have to pick up in one of your council missions. Not the Triad defector, Zhang.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

jng2058 posted:

Yeah but if it was that weasel traitor guy who's trying to lawyer up, he totally deserves to be shot in the face.

I loved it the time I got that guy and the mission was in China. "I HAVE RIGHTS!" "...here? No, you really don't, man."

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

It is annoying that you can't customize him at all. Zhang died very early in my first game, but he's been one of my star players in my last run.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Burning_Monk posted:

It is annoying that you can't customize him at all. Zhang died very early in my first game, but he's been one of my star players in my last run.

There's a mod for that, you'll need ToolBoks to apply it, but it's totally worth it to be able to put that beret with sunglasses on Zhang.

Also I got my loving mod to work! I'm still tinkering with it, but it does the thing it's supposed to do!

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Things about the panic system

In the original, the xenos had to contend with morale problems as well. Judging from the "THEY'RE FALLING BACK YEEHAW GET EM" sound files that play all the time, it seems like this was intended and cut from EU like so many other features. For every argument made about how bad the original panic effects could be (they almost always just dropped their weapon and/or lost their turn), they could happen to your enemies as well!

That is not the case in EU.

Also having veterans in your squad in the original would boost the morale of the whole team, in EU it just means rookies will turn and murder your vets.

On a side note, long war kind of alleviates this by making your troops run for cover from whatever scared them and hunker down when they panic. The system is still the same but at least your skyranger pilot doesn't have to constantly watch your highly crack teams of mental patients crack and murder each other.

Why yes I did feel the need to write this after watching a squad wipe itself when an alien *missed* a shot at a rookie.

As much as the current panic system could be done better - if it affected aliens (and psi panic was useful) it would actually be a rather fun addition to the game. The ethereals in the temple ship even go so far as to say sectoids are hilariously cowardly. I would love to see that as an actual implemented mechanic.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
^ You can get them to fall back if you murder enough of them in a short enough time. Just last night I aggro'd a group of 3 mutons, killed two, and even though the third was in full cover and had a decent shot on my guys it triggered the "They're falling back!" soundbite and he started running. Might not happen on impossible, though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Carnalfex posted:

In the original, the xenos had to contend with morale problems as well.

Strictly speaking this is true, but realistically the only missions there were enough aliens to kill in order to naturally induce panic were alien base missions - and that's still only true if you kill the Alien Commander on site. Kill, not stun. Considering 90% of the reason to attack a base in the first place is to bag a Commander this is EXCEEDINGLY unlikely to happen even on low difficulty levels, loving forget it if it's on Superhuman. You can psi-panic them though, but that's still like 1/10th of the problem your soldiers encounter because there's usually more aliens than XCOM present and their panic does not have a tendency to spread. And truthfully, if you are rolling with a powerful enough psychic to efficiently panic an alien, you'd really be better off just MCing him and having him throw his gun, shoot his ally, or throw a grenade at his feet without hoping the panic system would roll up something fun.

Also, panic shouldn't calculate in EU unless someone took damage. Are you sure a rookie didn't panic from watching an ally get shot?

ParanoidInc posted:

^ You can get them to fall back if you murder enough of them in a short enough time. Just last night I aggro'd a group of 3 mutons, killed two, and even though the third was in full cover and had a decent shot on my guys it triggered the "They're falling back!" soundbite and he started running. Might not happen on impossible, though.
It does happen on Impossible, it's just harder to do because it's harder to wipe out most of a squad at once. And even then, the retreating survivor is not harmless. He is still perfectly capable of murdering someone, his AI simply changes to make him WAY less aggressive.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
They're falling back, advance!

*alien goes into overwatch*

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Deuce posted:

They're falling back, advance!

*alien goes into overwatch*

Or shoots a rookie dead in one hit.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

amuayse posted:

I just hope the new maps don't fall into the "complexity=better!" route that TFTD and the maps ended up being labyrinthine clusterfucks.

I'm fairly certain the devs aren't going to try taking any design lessons from TFTD. Although I would love a potential sequel/expansion pack that at least tackles the setting, since I like the Lovecraftian vibe as a contrast to the more classic UFOs of the original game.

Coolguye posted:

It does happen on Impossible, it's just harder to do because it's harder to wipe out most of a squad at once. And even then, the retreating survivor is not harmless. He is still perfectly capable of murdering someone, his AI simply changes to make him WAY less aggressive.

This is what bugs me about panic in EU. It's fundamentally different in how it works for you than how it works for the aliens. For you it's: unit picks randomly between running to cover, hunkering down, or shooting at a random visible target (including friendlies), and then losing their next turn. For the aliens it's literally just a change in their AI, making them more likely to fall back rather than take an aggressive action. No lost turn, no chance of friendly fire, just (maybe) backing off a bit and briefly taking some heat off.

Also something that just occurred to me; why can't aliens hunker down? I mean I guess it's not a big deal but if they're pinned down it would be nice if they would try to hunker down sometimes rather than taking a shot at one of my troops and miraculously scoring a hit on what should be like a 10% chance.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 13, 2013

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Thought I was doing well on Classic. Had sattelites covering America, my starting base in Europe, Asia and Nigeria. With only Brazil, Egypt and South Africa dropped out.
All the plasma weapons were researched and had four armours. Everyone is armed with some sort of plasma rifle, still on laser sniper cause hadn't money to make the plasma yet, only one plasma cannon built for my heavies.

Then I my first supply ship had landed. Taking care of the two sectoid commanders was easy enough. Immediately after killing them 6 mutons, 2 muton berserkers, 3 muton elites and 6 heavy floaters rush into the main room, this room is all elevated cover on either side and high cover abound. My guys are stuck immediatly outside the entrance with only one high cover and half cover spotted about. Can't retreat backwards and can't stay and fight. Guess its back on the ranger for them until I finish buying the new gear.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Aliens can totally hunker down, although it might not be enabled in vanilla? Long war aliens certainly put it to use.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

No, I've seen aliens panic and hunker on Normal.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I've not seen a tooltip above them saying 'hunker down' like with overwatch. But they have taken turns where they neither moved nor fired. So that could be them hunkering down.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Marenghi posted:

I've not seen a tooltip above them saying 'hunker down' like with overwatch. But they have taken turns where they neither moved nor fired. So that could be them hunkering down.

Aliens Hunkering is exceedingly rare in vanilla, but it does happen. You can tell when they do because they are cowering in fear and because you suddenly have zero crit chance on them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Marenghi posted:

Are you playing on normal? Because that bit where they freeze sounds like one of the ways the AI helps you on normal. The only other time they freeze is if they are flanked and overwatched at the same time. If an alien hunkers, the same sound is played and the little tooltip says they are.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Marenghi posted:

Then I my first supply ship had landed. Taking care of the two sectoid commanders was easy enough. Immediately after killing them 6 mutons, 2 muton berserkers, 3 muton elites and 6 heavy floaters rush into the main room, this room is all elevated cover on either side and high cover abound. My guys are stuck immediatly outside the entrance with only one high cover and half cover spotted about. Can't retreat backwards and can't stay and fight. Guess its back on the ranger for them until I finish buying the new gear.

This happened to me the other day too, same ship and everything, except I had sectopods and an Ethereal as well. Those Supply Barges seem to be really dangerous and I've heard several people give similar stories in this thread of the whole thing turning into an alien gangbang as every one of them piles onto your squad. Is it maybe because when you uncover the 'Command' alien (outsider, Sectoid Commander, Ethereal) he signals for all the others to congregate at his position?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Marenghi posted:

Thought I was doing well on Classic.

I see XCOM's complacency detector is still working a year after release :v:

This is when I get destroyed the worst. I think I'm doing well (always a mistake in this game), I've got a sniper giving the gift of bullets to alien faces and all of a sudden that sniper is running for his life because the rest of the squad is dead, and dead soldiers can't spot for the sniper :(

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Met my first ethereal. He mind controlled one of my guys, but I was able to get the ethereal down to 1 HP. I've got an Arc thrower ready to move into range and do the needful. On his turn he does some psi stuff that gives him 4 extra health, so now he's at 5. I haven't researched advanced Arc Thrower yet, so I need him under 3. I had a sniper with a plasma pistol I could have used to get him down to below 3 hopefully, but I'm dumb and don't remember that. I move my assault in to point blank and ready the arc thrower. 34% chance. I take the shot. It lands. My first etheral is a live capture, and everybody goes home safe to their families.

:xcom:

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
^^ Feels good.

My similar experience was getting the Xavier achievement, which happened in the endgame temple ship assault with a 30-something% chance to hit.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm fairly certain the devs aren't going to try taking any design lessons from TFTD. Although I would love a potential sequel/expansion pack that at least tackles the setting, since I like the Lovecraftian vibe as a contrast to the more classic UFOs of the original game.

What was not to love about TFTD? Especially the cruise ship terror mission. "Here, we are making this huge map, which is not underwater so you cannot use some of your weapons. I hope you have time, because you have to search each and every single cabin on board to find that last alien that just refuses to come out. Oh, and did we mention that there is also a second part? Have fun!" :suicide: At least you never got Tentaculats on this missions.

But I liked the Lovecraftian underwater theme better than the original UFO, so if they return to the TFTD setting in XCOM 2 I would be happy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Looks like the Enemy Within achievements on steam are finally active and we can see what they are. Looking at this, it seems that "Enemy Within" is not just an ominous sounding title, there really will be humans working with the aliens. A lot of the achievements talk about "find the new threat" or "defeat the new threat" and then you've got achievements like "G'Day: Kill an elite enemy Sniper with one of your own snipers in single player".

Oooh, looks like invasions of the XCOM base are back too in some form: "All Hands on Deck: Get at least 4 kills with XCOM Base Security personnel".

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Nice! Can't wait to waste some puny humans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Guardian of Earth: Designate a highly decorated soldier as the Volunteer

So I'm guessing there's going to be medals/citations in EW, that's pretty cool. It'll certainly be another way to distinguish soldiers from each other

• Locked thread