Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gaunab posted:

I've come to the conclusion I like the ads for James Patternson's books. They're just so hokey.

The ones where he hocks his "children's series" of books just make me so embarrassed for him because he's a man in his sixties trying to pretend he knows anything about teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think Hulu is the worst for repeating ads. You see the same ad in like every commercial break! It really wears you down. There's this one ad about some guy at like a pasta-making seminar trying to sell Cricket wireless and not owas nly is it insufferable on its own, but after seeing it for what feels like hundreds of times it's just maddening to see it.

My wife was watching a show on Hulu yesterday and every commercial break had the same exact 4 commercials in the same order every single time.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I saw the same Dasani flavor drops ad on SouthParkStudios.com 4 times in a row in the same break and frequently on future breaks. Can't get a whole lot worse than that.

I don't feel like complaining about your average not terrible commercial being obnoxious because you see it every break is really in the spirit of the thread though. There is something weird that happens when you see the same ad a million times though. If you're like me you start to fixate on little details that you didn't necessarily notice at first that really get under your skin.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Speaking of seeing commercials over and over again, that McDonald's commercial with the guy in a studio getting distracted by people eating breakfast nearby. This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYcTY7WUiLg . But the version I've seen (which I can't find online) is trimmed down for maximum irritation to just this exchange:

"What about love, bacon all and leave me muffin--"
"Austin, you just said bacon and muffin."
"I can biscuit! I mean fix it!"
[V/O: Get a Sausage McMuffin value meal! Etc. etc.]
"Ba da ba ba ba~"

Austin Mahone must be some hip new pop star they're trying to promote, but if that's the case I don't know if it's working because literally the only place I've ever ever seen or heard his name is in this commercial. It used to play twice in a row (or with one other ad in between, separating the repeats), but that hasn't happened in a while-- so that's nice, I guess. Now it's just down to once every other break.

Still, even on regular TV I think this one's been playing all the drat time for what feels like a year. Why this commercial? Is this Austin person actually really popular? I don't understand!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

raditts posted:

The ones where he hocks his "children's series" of books just make me so embarrassed for him because he's a man in his sixties trying to pretend he knows anything about teenagers.

Commercials for books make me uncomfortable and I don't know why.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Cup of Hemlock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGJSI48gkFc

I was in this thread to post this commercial halfway through it. Ugh. Please tell me some international posters are in here.

I do not like this commericial, but i loving love me some Neal McDonough.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtFbs31XBLk

I just saw this and almost shat myself. "ITS Omega-3s naturally occur in PHOSPHOLIPID form :smuggo:."

As a scientist, there's no surer way to offend me with a commercial than to pile on as many meaningless, scientific-sounding words as possible to mesmerize stupid people.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think Hulu is the worst for repeating ads. You see the same ad in like every commercial break! It really wears you down. There's this one ad about some guy at like a pasta-making seminar trying to sell Cricket wireless and not only is it insufferable on its own, but after seeing it for what feels like hundreds of times it's just maddening to see it.

At some point, I think I had wanted to see The Counselor but Hulu has inundated me with so many ads that I've gotten sick of it.

"The slaughter to come will probably be beyond our imagining."

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
HONESTLY. I WANT TO SEE YOU BE FREE.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yourafagpleasedie posted:

Brave :eng101:

But yeah they're really dumb.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

why is this ad 15 years old

Edmantium
Jan 15, 2011

I WAS READY TO EMBRACE A MAN
the POWER for PLAY.GOES.ON....and YOU..may CONTRIBUTE a VERSE.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Timett posted:

I saw the same Dasani flavor drops ad on SouthParkStudios.com 4 times in a row in the same break and frequently on future breaks. Can't get a whole lot worse than that.

I don't feel like complaining about your average not terrible commercial being obnoxious because you see it every break is really in the spirit of the thread though. There is something weird that happens when you see the same ad a million times though. If you're like me you start to fixate on little details that you didn't necessarily notice at first that really get under your skin.

Even worse is when a website detects that you have an ad blocker and fucks you over by making you wait twice as long as an actual commercial break with a static message trying to guilt-trip you into whitelisting them.

If a person is tech-savvy enough to use an ad blocker they're savvy enough to :filez: your show, the last thing you want to do is make watching your show legitimately more difficult.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Edmantium posted:

the POWER for PLAY.GOES.ON....and YOU..may CONTRIBUTE a VERSE.

Seriously gently caress that commercial. It is an insult to DPS.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Even worse is when a website detects that you have an ad blocker and fucks you over by making you wait twice as long as an actual commercial break with a static message trying to guilt-trip you into whitelisting them.

If a person is tech-savvy enough to use an ad blocker they're savvy enough to :filez: your show, the last thing you want to do is make watching your show legitimately more difficult.

The worst part of that is when they lie to you about what happens if you disable the adblocker. There was one website where they said I would just have to sit through a short ad but when I turned off adblock they started doing crap like pop ups on the video.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

muscles like this? posted:

The worst part of that is when they lie to you about what happens if you disable the adblocker. There was one website where they said I would just have to sit through a short ad but when I turned off adblock they started doing crap like pop ups on the video.

That sounds like Blip.

I did that once because I figured I might as well because gently caress waiting a minute for my video to start. And after one of those "hilarious" Home Depot commercials with the Meme cat or whatever their attempt at being hip with the kids was, my video started and less than a minute in a Walmart ad comes in and obscures the bottom of the screen. The adblocker went right up again afterwards and its never gone down since, the little message even went away too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Parasol Prophet posted:

Speaking of seeing commercials over and over again, that McDonald's commercial with the guy in a studio getting distracted by people eating breakfast nearby. This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYcTY7WUiLg . But the version I've seen (which I can't find online) is trimmed down for maximum irritation to just this exchange:

"What about love, bacon all and leave me muffin--"
"Austin, you just said bacon and muffin."
"I can biscuit! I mean fix it!"
[V/O: Get a Sausage McMuffin value meal! Etc. etc.]
"Ba da ba ba ba~"

Austin Mahone must be some hip new pop star they're trying to promote, but if that's the case I don't know if it's working because literally the only place I've ever ever seen or heard his name is in this commercial. It used to play twice in a row (or with one other ad in between, separating the repeats), but that hasn't happened in a while-- so that's nice, I guess. Now it's just down to once every other break.

Still, even on regular TV I think this one's been playing all the drat time for what feels like a year. Why this commercial? Is this Austin person actually really popular? I don't understand!

I think he's one of the latest pop tarts for either Nickelodeon or Disney, of the TV show "Austin and Ally."

I think you mean "On a sea, I want to see ya, Bree-Bree."

More than that awful song at the end, I'm annoyed that all those commercials start with some dipshit saying "HONESTLY?!?!?!" Why the gently caress are you saying that, it doesn't make any sense unless it's in response to something somebody else said.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Cruncha muncha cruncha muncha

fritos on my sub

WHY DO THEY WHISPER THE MOST IMPORTANT PART! arg I hate this commercial so much

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Crusty Nutsack posted:

fritos on my sub

Why the hell does Subway, which has more restaurants than McDonald's, still have an advertising budget that goes entirely to athletes and not at all to proper marketing?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Why the hell does Subway, which has more restaurants than McDonald's, still have an advertising budget that goes entirely to athletes and not at all to proper marketing?

I would suspect that it's part of their branding as the "healthy" alternative to the other fast food chains.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I would suspect that it's part of their branding as the "healthy" alternative to the other fast food chains.

It's absolutely this. Are they still putting that one lovely boxer in them?

EDIT: Mike Lee, I mean.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Iron Crowned posted:

Which they're totally upholding by promoting a sandwich made using Frito's chips.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Which they're totally upholding by promoting a sandwich made using Frito's chips.

It's ok the lettuce totally negates that.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Besides, they're the only major chain not injecting yoga mat chemicals into their buns, which pretty much makes them the healthy option by default.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

DJExile posted:

It's absolutely this. Are they still putting that one lovely boxer in them?

EDIT: Mike Lee, I mean.

It's a hilarious collection of retired athletes, and nobodies. It always leaves me confused as to why they're all in a commercial together.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Crusty Nutsack posted:

fritos on my sub

I think by law they're required to notify the public of the presence of Fritos.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Turkey has good car insurance commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC-5RT3TGzQ

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

Having a commercial with athletes one commercial break to push the "healthy" angle followed by a commercial for a sandwich with Fritos on it the next break is going to be an interesting thing to study in marketing classes one day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Meltathon posted:

It's a hilarious collection of retired athletes, and nobodies. It always leaves me confused as to why they're all in a commercial together.

They also have Michael Phelps.

Jon Leibowitz
Feb 11, 2004

Ohhh iiit's aaa perfect dayyy...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MisterZimbu posted:

Turkey has good car insurance commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC-5RT3TGzQ

This is amazing, the people in the background repeating their motions are great.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013
Is there a pediatric euthanasia fund I can contribute to? I need to offset these god awful care.com commercials somehow

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
"I didn't know kfc had PAAAHHHHT PIES."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When I was a kid, I'd put Cool Ranch Doritos on peanut butter sandwiches and loved it. Somehow I feel like Subway has violated this memory.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Sash! posted:

When I was a kid, I'd put Cool Ranch Doritos on peanut butter sandwiches and loved it. Somehow I feel like Subway has violated this memory.

Subway: Eat Whatever It Is We Have Lying Around, You Fat loving Slob

Too long? We can workshop it

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Subway: Our Food is so loving bland, even Fritos can improve it.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
Try the Heart Healthy® 12-inch Bacon Sriracha Cheese Steak Melt on Wheat

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Grin and Tonic posted:

Try the Heart Healthy® 12-inch Bacon Sriracha Cheese Steak Melt on Wheat

This month's 5 Dollar Footlong® is a bacon grease-soaked pile of lettuce and week old avocados, topped with breaded chicken, ranch, and your own salty tears

try one today!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

raditts posted:

Having a commercial with athletes one commercial break to push the "healthy" angle followed by a commercial for a sandwich with Fritos on it the next break is going to be an interesting thing to study in marketing classes one day.

At one point ESPN walking cliche Chris Berman was advertising for both NutriSystem and Applebee's. It was really great to see both ads in one block, especially since the Applebee's spot was featuring meatballs stuffed with provolone cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This seems to come up during every commercial break on every channel, and it fills me with inexplicable rage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_18O5ALUU