Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bruc posted:

That's good to hear, I actually like energy fighting as well anyhow, plus the Brits seem to be one of the less played nations. Is the stuff after the Beaufighter in that line any good? I assume not because I hear people mention Beaufighters all the time but never the stuff after it, which is a shame because I really do like them so far.

Basically, Spitfire at level 11 is the last agile non-premium propeller fighter. At level 12 you get Mosquito, which is a heavy fighter that is better that Beaufighter in every single way, except the amount of ammunition it carries. On level 13 you get a Typhoon, that is a decent energy fighter, and on level 14 - a Tempest, that is even better at these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

kalstrams posted:

At level 12 you get Mosquito, which is a heavy fighter that is better that Beaufighter in every single way

This is true, but it really saddens me that there is no bombing reticule in HB and at its rank it really isnt fast enough.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I'm trying to get back into this after not playing for about 2 months. I finally got to rank 13 US, and in that last game I had someone in a Fw-190 rage that I was a "premium noob" for flying the XP-38 (identical to the regular P-38) and wouldn't have been able to kill him if he hadn't been already crippled. Before he quit he challenged me to a 1v1.

Oh how I've missed this. :allears:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I wish that after the super bowl, angry losing linemen would demand that the other team's mvp 1v1 them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bruc posted:

That's good to hear, I actually like energy fighting as well anyhow, plus the Brits seem to be one of the less played nations. Is the stuff after the Beaufighter in that line any good? I assume not because I hear people mention Beaufighters all the time but never the stuff after it, which is a shame because I really do like them so far.

The Blenheims are actually pretty decent, and a major step up from the godawful Beaufort. I've been caught off guard by those medium bombers more than once. I haven't played around with the Wellingtons too much. But they are apparently money machines in historical if the German Jelly Welly is anything to go by.

Word of advice about the Brits though. The Tier 8 Spitfire is a piece of poo poo. It is extremely undergunned for its tier, still using 7.62mm rounds against heavily armored planes, and not enough cannon ammo. My advice is to grind past the Mk Vb with your premium Boomerangs.

In other news, the premium American F4 is a brilliant plane. This is apparently what I've been missing out on.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 29, 2013

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Uh, the Beaufort owns.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not in my experience. Having a plane with no forward firing guns doesn't jive with my playstyle. I hate having to rely on moron AI gunners or relinquishing maneuvering in order to use an underpowered turret.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not in my experience. Having a plane with no forward firing guns doesn't jive with my playstyle. I hate having to rely on moron AI gunners or relinquishing maneuvering in order to use an underpowered turret.

You know you can manual control the rear turrets right? There is nothing more hilarious than pressing the pubbies' idiot buttons and making them chase you only for them to get gunned down like frogs in a barrel

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Razzled posted:

You know you can manual control the rear turrets right? There is nothing more hilarious than pressing the pubbies' idiot buttons and making them chase you only for them to get gunned down like frogs in a barrel

Yeah, I know about manual aim. I just hate using it with low caliber weapons.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Beaufort has dual .50s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mlmp08 posted:

The Beaufort has dual .50s.

Still don't like it. I prefer my Blenheims or Mitchells.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, this game is fun. I'm going down the British tree and just got to the Beaufighter the other day. I bought a day's worth of premium with the premium currency I had in my account when I started and pretty much played 15-20 of those hours. I'm really looking forward to the faster Spitfires. the MKI is good, but I know the newer ones get much better. Beaufighter is fun, too. It actually handles dogfighting surprisingly well considering it's size, and it's so much fun getting ahead of an enemy and tearing him up with the rear-facing MG. :getin:

Kudos to whomever suggested changing the pitch to W/S and throttle to Shift/Ctrl. I still haven't quite gotten used to it, but it's so much easier to flip around and do maneuvers when you don't have to rely on the lovely mouse aiming controls for it. Also, either I'm somehow really good, or (more likely) everybody just really sucks at this game because I frequently top the leaderboard for points.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Well I have some money left over from the year's premium, might as well buy the US Spitfi

:stare:

I forgot how much I missed cannons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Six kills in a Kittyhawk and no deaths. I finally remembered how to fly this plane.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Beaufighter is my favorite plane now by far, I always end up using it as my first plane and have yet to not get a kill using it despite being somewhat bad at the game. If I wanted something similar in all my planes are Germans the way to go? I really like plowing down on someone from above and blowing them up really fast with cannons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bruc posted:

Beaufighter is my favorite plane now by far, I always end up using it as my first plane and have yet to not get a kill using it despite being somewhat bad at the game. If I wanted something similar in all my planes are Germans the way to go? I really like plowing down on someone from above and blowing them up really fast with cannons.

If you like Beaufighters, then the German heavy fighter line is pretty fun. BF-110s and ME-410s are powerful in the right hands, and the night fighter variant of the DO-217 can be nasty.

Speaking of heavy fighters, I haven't touched it for months, but does the P-38 still fly like rear end?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm sick of seeing people bitching about ramming, god drat. You're partially at fault when you decide to fly directly at the guy too, buddy :v:

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Ramming is a resonable tactic, I know I seek out the most expensive thing I can hit when my plane is shot to hell and won't survive another dogfight. The occasional complaint from the person I take down with me are just the cherry on top. I guess they only thing they've done wrong is be nearby though

Bruc
May 30, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you like Beaufighters, then the German heavy fighter line is pretty fun. BF-110s and ME-410s are powerful in the right hands, and the night fighter variant of the DO-217 can be nasty.

Speaking of heavy fighters, I haven't touched it for months, but does the P-38 still fly like rear end?

I didn't necessarily mean heavy fighters, but looking into it more it looks like German is the way to go (boom and zoom?). I just tend to do poorly when I use more agile fighters sometimes due to tunnel vision, but when I am going in and out like that I do far better. I just wanted to make sure since I hear the tree is awful 'til 6.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

sadnessboner posted:

Ramming is a resonable tactic, I know I seek out the most expensive thing I can hit when my plane is shot to hell and won't survive another dogfight. The occasional complaint from the person I take down with me are just the cherry on top. I guess they only thing they've done wrong is be nearby though

2 dudes collided with my SB-2 the other night and didn't take it down. Then they bitched about me "ramming" them. If your tiny fighter flies into my bomber and I don't die, gently caress you, I'm a sky tank.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 29, 2013

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

That's the going design for my Americans. It looks so damned good on the Corsairs.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
My B17 is a flying coffin. The guns, they do nothing. Even with me aiming the guns they feel like piss garbage.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Bruc posted:

I didn't necessarily mean heavy fighters, but looking into it more it looks like German is the way to go (boom and zoom?). I just tend to do poorly when I use more agile fighters sometimes due to tunnel vision, but when I am going in and out like that I do far better.

I played Germany as my main country since I started. It's pretty much what you're looking for in regards to BnZ, but yeah, for many players the lower ranks will be a test of patience but IMO, the USA tree is way more painful to grind. I wouldn't worry about it. I still find myself going back and playing the lower ranks as Germany and they're not as bad as people make them out to be. Even the Italian planes can be fun, so I don't see it being such a big deal. They're basically 109s without cannons and you are only "stuck" with them until rank 4 which really isn't that far in even for a 2nd or 3rd played country.

Bruc posted:

I just wanted to make sure since I hear the tree is awful 'til 6.

I wouldn't say awful. Every country is actually really great.

Rank 1: CR.42 Falco. The premium version is one of the best looking planes in the game despite being a biplane. Even if you hate the other Italian planes, you can just use this to breeze through the first few ranks with this thing.

Rank 4: BF 110 C-4. This thing kicks rear end. Similar to a Brofighter but doesn't fly or turn as fast. However, it has nose mounted cannons... and being only rank 4 means you'll be among one of the only planes in the round with cannons. The only other planes to get cannons this early are the A6M2-N/He 112 B-0 (which you won't have to fight outside of arcade), the LaGG-3-35 (hardly a threat) and the Boomerang (rarely seen because they're premium). In properly balanced matches, your 110 will take a huge beating without going down. It also has a tail gunner.

Rank 5: Ju 88/S.79s. This rank gives you a bunch of good bombers to dick around with until you hit rank 6. The Ju88 can have 36x bombs loaded - it's fun to drop them all at the same time on lines of enemies. It makes a huge wall of fire. The S.79s are very, very agile.

After that, Germany opens up into a fantastic tree.

Rank 6/7/9/13/14/16: BF 109s own. This is why you want to play Germany. This is where your boom and zooming starts and they're awesome at that. You get your first one at rank 6. There's enough of them that regularly unlock as you progress. Each variant can easily hold its own in its given rank.

Rank 11/12/13/15: Fw 190s are basically 109s on steroids. They allow for faster bnz attacks and have really high roll rates, allowing you to quickly and easily change directions while diving on your enemies.

Rank 16: Ta 152 H-1. Probably the best non-jet boom and zoomer right now. x3 massive nose mounted cannons that will insta-kill anything they touch. Can dive at extreme speeds. If played correctly, this plane is pretty much OP as gently caress. It has exactly one weakness and that is climbrate.

Thief fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 29, 2013

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
I spent my extra eagles on the premium Japanese FW-190 A5, it is basically cheating because as a non naval plane you start at altitude on most of the Japanese HB maps and can maintain the advantage to always be above everyone else on their team.

I used it to print enough money on sunday to buy myself a MIG-9/L and MIG-15, killing an average of 4 guys per match because they all try to feebely climb towards you never gets old.

Ask me about the one match that I got into where I was the only fighter on my team and proceeded to go 8-0 and ace their entire team (except for the guy that managed to run into one of our AI's and the other that was shot down by AAA).. That was about 350k lions...

DISCLAIMER!!: I am not that great at this game, this plane is just awesome for its tier and the circumstances surrounding Japanese HB's.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

SpaceBanditos posted:

it is basically cheating because as a non naval plane you start at altitude on most of the Japanese HB maps and can maintain the advantage to always be above everyone else on their team.

This is basically what the N1K's are for while the Zeroes clean up the stragglers that lose their altitude. Japan owns.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I spent about 2,000 of my extra eagles on leveling crews to unfair numbers.

It makes such a huge loving difference to not black out and reload everything super fast. Not that my crews were bad before, but now they're great.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?

Thief posted:

This is basically what the N1K's are for while the Zeroes clean up the stragglers that lose their altitude. Japan owns.

This is true, but the FW-190 has something absurd like a 12000 lion repair bill when you someday run out of the 30 free repairs compared to the ~44k repair bill on the N1k (though it does have some sweet sweet cannons and ammo).

Also the FW never put me in any jet games.. whcih I have encountered several times in my A6M5 Ko with N1k's

SpaceBanditos fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 29, 2013

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
This game owns so hard. I can't help but think of that short sci-fi story 'Dogfight' when I'm getting in the business.

FOKKERS n' SPADS :madmax:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SpaceBanditos posted:

This is true, but the FW-190 has something absurd like a 12000 lion repair bill when you someday run out of the 30 free repairs compared to the ~44k repair bill on the N1k (though it does have some sweet sweet cannons and ammo).

I'm new to the N1k but it looks like it has a 12k repair bill.

quote:

It baffles me that more people don't play Japan. They have great planes in all tiers.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
Maybe I can't read? I could have sworn that the N1k's were like 40k+ in HB to repair.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SpaceBanditos posted:

Maybe I can't read? I could have sworn that the N1k's were like 40k+ in HB to repair.

That is a maximum repair cost. I've never got more than 36k in repairs for N1K2-Ja - usually it stays at 20k, take or add 5k.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SpaceBanditos posted:

Ah, possibly is 40k in HB. I stick to arcade.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Repair costs? I didn't know N1K's could even get shot down. :smug:

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
They do when you get set up against a team of 5 meteors.. :negative:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So does anyone have any tips for bombing with the Wellington in HB? Also, does anyone else have a problem with it where it wants to pull up all the time?

az
Dec 2, 2005

jadebullet posted:

So does anyone have any tips for bombing with the Wellington in HB? Also, does anyone else have a problem with it where it wants to pull up all the time?

The Wellington is a fat whale that doesn't turn well at all, but it's pretty fast. You need to see that your ingress is well lined up with your targets because there is very little room for corrections over the target area.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Thief posted:

Rank 5: Ju 88/S.79s. This rank gives you a bunch of good bombers to dick around with until you hit rank 6. The Ju88 can have 36x bombs loaded - it's fun to drop them all at the same time on lines of enemies. It makes a huge wall of fire. The S.79s are very, very agile.

I ended up occasionally going back to the HE-111 because it has two more guns than the JU-88 does.

Is there actually any difference between the two HE-111 versions? I can't tell.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So I played this a couple months ago and left shortly after they hosed the economy. Did they ever fix that or did you guys just learn to deal with it?

explosivo posted:

I'm sick of seeing people bitching about ramming, god drat. You're partially at fault when you decide to fly directly at the guy too, buddy :v:

Whenever we saw someone bitching about this, we'd let them know "It takes two to ram." Somehow, it never made them feel better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So, when a BF 109 strafes me and explodes me in one pass and I hear that "BOOM" sound... That's minengeschoß right?

• Locked thread