Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Febreeze posted:

And Wilson runs way more often so of course he has bigger rushing numbers. What's your point? I'll take the 40 touchdowns to the 20. And the better passer rating. And the way lower sack totals. And the yardage.

Luck practically carries the Colts by himself. He has slightly better WRs, a worse run game, and a far worse defense. He also has a poo poo o-line. I'd much rather have the better passer when every play is just one wrong step from an injury hobbling your scrambling ability. Luck is a better QB. It's okay to admit it, AAC, it doesn't take away from Wilson, because Wilson is still quite good.

In Wilson's defense, I'd bet the Seahawks line is worse at every aspect of football except for run blocking. It's not like thy excel at creating holes for wilson/lynch, both just happen to excel at creating something out of nothing and the grim truth of the Seahawks oline remains a general mystery to people who dont watch them week in, week out. And I don't think many other QBs could find as much success as Wilson has behind such an abysmal line. But Luck is probably one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Fly McCool posted:

In Wilson's defense, I'd bet the Seahawks line is worse at every aspect of football except for run blocking. It's not like thy excel at creating holes for wilson/lynch, both just happen to excel at creating something out of nothing and the grim truth of the Seahawks oline remains a general mystery to people who dont watch them week in, week out. And I don't think many other QBs could find as much success as Wilson has behind such an abysmal line. But Luck is probably one of them.

I didn't pay as much attention this year but the Colts had abysmal line play the last couple of years before that themselves.

Anyway in draft prospect news instead of this random Luck/Wilson discussion did anyone watch Louisville Georgia tonight? I still love DeVante Parker even though they got pasted.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grittybeard posted:

Anyway in draft prospect news instead of this random Luck/Wilson discussion did anyone watch Louisville Georgia tonight? I still love DeVante Parker even though they got pasted.

Nick Chubb is going to cause a lot of repetitive posts of people saying I want a chubby in two years

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fly McCool posted:

the Luck and Wilson debate is as retarded as the old debate about Randy Moss and Terrell Owens or Jamaal lewis and Preist holmes before that or the recent bullshit about Richard Sherman and Revis. They both play QB that's pretty much where the similarities end. It's like arguing over beer, who cares, if I had either one starting for my team I wouldn't want one over the other.

The statement that started this bullshit off is still true. Unless you're getting a loving top tier talent at QB you need an offensive line or they'll get killed. The problem is you're usually only in position to get a decent QB when your offensive line has gone to poo poo.Unless you draft a retard like Jimmy Clausen the year prior.

Ozu posted:

Pretty surprising I guess. May affect his decision to come out.

@KeithArnold
Notre Dame LT Ronnie Stanley did not receive a first round grade by advisory board. Has not made decision.

Depends how many hangers on he has him filling his head with dreams of mega bucks and if he likes playing in College. I think he should stay a year and come out more polished. it's a fairly deep class this year on the offensive line and I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 or 6 guys come off in the first.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doltos posted:

Oh yeah.

Garrett Grayson is a Redshirt Senior that absolutely destroyed his conference this year. He's another product that Mike Bobo has pumped out recently along with Weston Richburg and Crocket Gilmore.

quick correction: Mike Bobo is Colorado State's new coach, he was at Georgia since 2007 up until now. Jim McElwain was Colorado State's coach before now.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

The point is that the NFL is gonna have a dearth of QB skill when like 7 of the top 10 guys are 34+

This is all cyclical. Things got pretty thin in the mid 90's when Mario and Montana et al started to retire. People were bemoaning the state of NFL quarterbacking. Then Peyton showed up, not long after Brady came along then 2004 happened.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Doltos, I'm curious as to what you think about Blake Sims. A lot of Bama fans used to hope he would be drafted late as a runningback but after the season he's had I'm not so sure he couldn't fill someone's weak quarterback depth chart somewhere.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Nick Chubb is going to cause a lot of repetitive posts of people saying I want a chubby in two years

Once Gurley was suspended this year I went around asking all of my UGA fan friends, "Are you ready for the rise of Chubb?"

I don't know why I'm sharing this other than to point out that the puns are already in full effect, as is his ability to take it to the house on any given down from anywhere on the field.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Alouicious posted:

quick correction: Mike Bobo is Colorado State's new coach, he was at Georgia since 2007 up until now. Jim McElwain was Colorado State's coach before now.

True, and I also just realized that McElwain ran a pro style offense up until this year, so Grayson does have experience taking snaps under center.

Raku posted:

Doltos, I'm curious as to what you think about Blake Sims. A lot of Bama fans used to hope he would be drafted late as a runningback but after the season he's had I'm not so sure he couldn't fill someone's weak quarterback depth chart somewhere.

Honestly I don't know what to make of Sims. Like all Bama QBs his biggest question mark, besides his height of course, is that he had a killer offense around him. Cooper got separation all over the field, Yeldon and that o-line gave Sims a lot of opposing safeties and linebackers that had to play honest. It's funny that you mention runningback because Sims seems to not like to tuck and run. He can do it of course and his top end speed is good for a QB, but he definitely prefers to stay in the pocket. Has a strong arm for a short guy too. Seems a bit raw too as he was only a starter for this year. I wonder how he'll look in the playoffs.

Right now I think he's a day 3 guy but could be day 2 if people want his athleticism or a project QB.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Probably Magic posted:

Oh yeah, Mett getting sacked all the time is more him just refusing to get rid of the ball more than anything (though that offensive line is poor). But Winston has (a) Been playing behind a killer O-line his time at FSU, and when that line broke down, he had fumble issues and generally bad decision-making, and (b) He can make the read, but he doesn't get rid of the ball the quickest either. I mean, when I think of acceptably elusive QBs who aren't running quarterbacks per se, I think of Luck, and that's an absurdly gross expectation, but I still worry. I have seen Winston take off before and get yardage, so there is that, to be fair... but with Whisenhunt involved... I don't know. Either bench Winston if you get him, tank, fire Wiz, and pick up nice complementary pieces later, or trade for some kind of veteran like Cutler that Wiz doesn't have to develop much (though with Cutler, there's going to be a pretty low ceiling, but at least there'll be less chance Ryan Lindley-style bad QBing performances).

I have no idea where you're getting this from.

First Winston's o-line this year was decent everywhere but center so he was dealing with a ton of pressure coming straight through the o-line in the first half of the season. Even outside of that this was not a "killer" o-line. Winston saw a lot of pressure this year.

Winston is loving amazing under pressure. It's one of his best skills. He plays very much like Big Ben. You'll watch some MLB come shooting through the A gap about to destroy Winston and then the defender just bounces off Winston as he throws downfield. He's absurdly difficult to tackle in the pocket. He hasn't fumbled a lot, at all, the whole team has only lost 1 fumble all year. His INTs aren't coming as a result of pressure. They're usually either a miscommunication with a receiver, which happened a bunch this year, or they're the result of inconsistent accuracy where Winston floats a ball too high.

I can't emphasize enough that one of Winston's best assets is his ability to take pressure and hits while performing incredibly well. He absolutely has issues but that's not one of them.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Cam Erving is a really good center prospect and probably day 2 guy, though he admittedly wasn't moved to center until November.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Doltos posted:

Honestly I don't know what to make of Sims. Like all Bama QBs his biggest question mark, besides his height of course, is that he had a killer offense around him. Cooper got separation all over the field, Yeldon and that o-line gave Sims a lot of opposing safeties and linebackers that had to play honest. It's funny that you mention runningback because Sims seems to not like to tuck and run. He can do it of course and his top end speed is good for a QB, but he definitely prefers to stay in the pocket. Has a strong arm for a short guy too. Seems a bit raw too as he was only a starter for this year. I wonder how he'll look in the playoffs.

Right now I think he's a day 3 guy but could be day 2 if people want his athleticism or a project QB.

I was watching game clips of Amari Cooper last night on draft breakdown and what really stood out to me about Sims is that he seems to stare down his receivers a lot.

As for Cooper, he really looks good. Has good speed, kills DBs with double moves, has a knack for getting separation, and can really turn up field quick on hitches. I'd love to see the Vikings reunite Bridgewater with Cooper (high school teammates), but I don't see Cooper sliding that far. At this point, I'm focusing my attention on DeVante Parker and Kevin White. I'm leaning slightly towards White, because he seems like a bit better route runner and gets separation more consistently, but Parker is the more explosive athlete and already has timing down with Teddy.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Ozu posted:

Cam Erving is a really good center prospect and probably day 2 guy, though he admittedly wasn't moved to center until November.

He was a top LT prospect last year but came back and regressed a good amount. He could do either and will probably end up taking a spot early once he gets healed up

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If the Browns and Vikings take Parker and White before the Niners pick I am gonna be real mad.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Grozz Nuy posted:

If the Browns and Vikings take Parker and White before the Niners pick I am gonna be real mad.

Strong could still be a pretty good WR.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I'm curious who the Vikings cut if they decide to go WR in the draft. I mean, it's what I expect them to do but right now the depth chart is:

- Greg Jennings
- Charles Johnson
- Jarius Wright
- Cordarrelle Patterson
- Adam Thielen

Jennings is the obvious cut due to his salary but he's also the only veteran and all the WR love his mentorship. They could wind up dumping Felton to carry 6 WR and have Ellison do lead blocking duties when needed but 6 still feels like a lot.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'd honestly be surprised if the Vikings don't add more stuff on offense. Norv Turner can't be happy having all that crappy talent around his franchise QB.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

WHOOPS posted:

I'm curious who the Vikings cut if they decide to go WR in the draft. I mean, it's what I expect them to do but right now the depth chart is:

- Greg Jennings
- Charles Johnson
- Jarius Wright
- Cordarrelle Patterson
- Adam Thielen

Jennings is the obvious cut due to his salary but he's also the only veteran and all the WR love his mentorship. They could wind up dumping Felton to carry 6 WR and have Ellison do lead blocking duties when needed but 6 still feels like a lot.

I think that Jennings is candidate to be renegotiated. He's not worth $11 million next year, but he's still a dependable veteran receiver and I think that as Teddy gets more comfortable with anticipation and tight window throws, then Jennings production will increase. The thing with Jennings is that he's really good at getting open when he looks covered, but the QB needs to trust him and throw before he gets open. It seemed like Teddy started to get that towards the end of the year and I think you'll see their chemistry continue to improve next year. This throw against Miami is a great example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000446703/Q1-Bridgewater-hits-Jennings-for-a-21-yard-touchdown

As for who we let go if we draft a receiver, I'd probably carry 6, but the problem that we have is that the Vikings have a group of decent, but not great receivers. I already covered Jennings, but I think we need him for his experience and his production should improve now that Teddy understands how to throw to him. Johnson is kind of a wild card, good speed, good route runner, especially on double moves, but he really struggles catching contested ball. He might work out with Bridgewater and Brandon Marshall in Miami this offseason, so that could help him. Wright is a solid 3rd receiver type, good route runner, and can turn short passes into big gains at time. Patterson is a mess right now, hopefully, working with the coach/mentor that Zimmer set up for him will help, but he's still more of an athlete than a receiver right now. Thielen is a good special teamer and has proven to have some value as a 5th receiver, he's kind of a modern day Chris Walsh.

It's hard because the two problems that I see is that they lack a number one receiver. Jennings isn't it at this point in his career and Patterson failed to make that leap. They also need size at receiver. If Cooper slides, he's the best bet for a number one receiver and both Parker and White are big receivers, who can go after jump balls, and serve as red zone targets.

The Vikings do have other needs and they may not opt to address WR in the 1st, but there is some good talent that I think could mesh well with Teddy. They do need to address the OL, but LG could be address through FA or in the 2nd or 3rd round, and Yankey could still be an option if he's put on enough strength to compete. I also don't see them spending a high pick on a tackle this year, since they haven't given up on Kalil yet, but I do expect them to draft a tackle in the mid rounds for depth. On defense, they could still upgrade at linebacker or in the secondary, but I actually wouldn't be surprised if they trade down and stockpile picks to help improve their depth.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Doltos posted:

I'd honestly be surprised if the Vikings don't add more stuff on offense. Norv Turner can't be happy having all that crappy talent around his franchise QB.

Zimmer said there will be roster turnover this year and that they'll be focusing on adding talent to both sides of the ball, where as last year they were primarily focused on adding talent on defense. Charlie Johnson will be gone at LG, so they'll have a new starter there, they want to give Kalil one more year to turn around, and they'll likely make some moves to improve their OL depth. Adding better skill players around Teddy is important. I covered WR in my last post and if Peterson isn't brought back, then that is a big need. I like McKinnon, but I think he's better utilized in a rotation and while Asiata can do some nice things, he's limited as a runner and I don't want another season of him getting a bunch of carries. In that scenario, I could see them adding another runner in the 2nd to 4th round, probably a power runner or balanced back, but they need to be able to the catch the ball out of the backfield and actually hit the edge effectively. Establishing a QB to build around is a huge step and now they need to add pieces around him to make the offense successful.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

Aniki posted:

Zimmer said there will be roster turnover this year and that they'll be focusing on adding talent to both sides of the ball, where as last year they were primarily focused on adding talent on defense. Charlie Johnson will be gone at LG, so they'll have a new starter there, they want to give Kalil one more year to turn around, and they'll likely make some moves to improve their OL depth. Adding better skill players around Teddy is important. I covered WR in my last post and if Peterson isn't brought back, then that is a big need. I like McKinnon, but I think he's better utilized in a rotation and while Asiata can do some nice things, he's limited as a runner and I don't want another season of him getting a bunch of carries. In that scenario, I could see them adding another runner in the 2nd to 4th round, probably a power runner or balanced back, but they need to be able to the catch the ball out of the backfield and actually hit the edge effectively. Establishing a QB to build around is a huge step and now they need to add pieces around him to make the offense successful.

LMAO Charlie Johnson is still in the NFL?? HOW??

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Plafop posted:

LMAO Charlie Johnson is still in the NFL?? HOW??

I've been asking that for the past 4 seasons. I'm just glad that the Vikings are finally moving on from him and am hoping that a better LG will take pressure off of Kalil, but we'll see.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I wonder how many of Kalil's issues have been having to cover for Johnson's flaws.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Aniki posted:

Strong could still be a pretty good WR.

I like Strong, but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be taking him at 15. If they can't get White or Parker I'm hoping they trade down and still get Strong or pick up some OL help.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

I wonder how many of Kalil's issues have been having to cover for Johnson's flaws.

It would jive with how defensive Norv and Zimmer are of Kalil but I doubt it's that much. Dude hasn't been getting much on his punch and inside moves eat him alive, neither of which have anything to do with Johnson's shiftiness.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

WHOOPS posted:

It would jive with how defensive Norv and Zimmer are of Kalil but I doubt it's that much. Dude hasn't been getting much on his punch and inside moves eat him alive, neither of which have anything to do with Johnson's shiftiness.

Yeah Kalil just gets beat a lot of the time. Johnson doesn't help but Kalil loses too many one on one match ups to blame him.

I think if the Vikings go WR early it'll say a lot about how they feel about Patterson developing.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah Kalil just gets beat a lot of the time. Johnson doesn't help but Kalil loses too many one on one match ups to blame him.

I think if the Vikings go WR early it'll say a lot about how they feel about Patterson developing.

The short answer is that Kalil's struggles were predominately his own fault, but I actually think that Johnson may have been worse and that contributed to Kalil and Sullivan's struggles. Johnson gave up so much interior pressure that it was unreal and the Vikings were fortunate that Bridgewater was so good at moving in the pocket and throwing under pressure. Kalil needs to get his act together and have an excellent offseason to get his career back on track and I think the Vikings need to find some way to stabilize LG and also have a backup plan in place in case Kalil continues to falter.

As for receiver, the need to draft a receiver would be less if Patterson had played better, but I think it still would have been there. The big issue is that the Vikings lack size at receiver and could really benefit from a big receiver like White or Parker. I know that both of those guys are only an inch taller than Patterson or Johnson, but they are both skilled at going after jump balls and could be red zone targets that the Vikings haven't had. If you remember during the preseason Bridgewater was hitting Rodney Smith on fades consistently, but you almost never saw them run fades during the regular season, because none of their receivers were good at it. You could probably make a case to gamble on Dorial Green-Beckham, since he's even bigger than Parker or White, but he just seems like a disaster waiting to happen given the current climate of the NFL.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It makes me sick that Vikings and Niners are even thinking of going WR

each of your teams has at least 2 talented Receivers, draft another position

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'd like to see the Vikes go for a LB or DT early. Right now it's Barr, the ghost of Chad Greenway and whoever Zimmer can make play better than expected. At CB, Cap Munnerlyn should be replaced, he was the worse CB and admitted he was paying any attention to the coaching staff.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Pron on VHS posted:

It makes me sick that Vikings and Niners are even thinking of going WR

each of your teams has at least 2 talented Receivers, draft another position

Greg Jennings is busted and only worked in a scheme where the entire field was stretched by other competent WRs and a great QB. Johnson is a replacement level player on a bad team. Cordarelle Patterson is really overrated. I love what he does when the balls in his hands but getting that ball in his hands is lesson in frustration. They totally need new WRs and probably a TE that fits Turner's schemes better. I could see them targeting DeVante Parker or Kevin White, although I'm not that high on White.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Jennings is still good, he's just not a number one. He's incredibly reliable and does an exceptional job of getting vertical after completing the catch. Rudolph is also a good TE but can't stay healthy. As Aniki said, it's a good set of revivers but it lacks a standout player that can be a consistent threat. They need a WR, there is just no one I want to see cut to make room.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Oh and if Marrone gets the Jets job prepare for them to take another middling QB that will be benched in a years time.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Darth Brooks posted:

I'd like to see the Vikes go for a LB or DT early. Right now it's Barr, the ghost of Chad Greenway and whoever Zimmer can make play better than expected. At CB, Cap Munnerlyn should be replaced, he was the worse CB and admitted he was paying any attention to the coaching staff.

I wouldn't mind taking a linebacker. I'm not entirely sold on Hodges or Cole opposite of Barr, and I am intrigued by Shaq Thompson. I'm also starting to get interested in Vic Beasley, since I like the idea of having two pass rushing linebackers that they could line up in double A gap looks, but I have no idea if his coverage skills are good enough to be feasible. I actually think that MLB is a bigger need, though that is a position better addressed in the late 1st to 2nd. Bernardrick McKinney fits Zimmer's mold of athletic, tall, and long linebackers who can clog up passing lanes. He's good against the run, but seems to have issues in coverage, but all of the physical tools are there, so maybe they could coach him up like they did with Barr. Denzel Perryman is really interesting to me, he's a lot smaller than Zimmer's prototype linebacker, but he's really good against the run and can hold his own in coverage.

I'm not sure about taking a DT early. Floyd looks to be really good when healthy and as for Joseph, he's not Pat Williams, but he takes on double teams and does the dirty work to create plays for other players. However, I also think he wasn't the same after being shot, which is understandable, so I am hoping that he'll rebound and have a better 2014. I will admit that the DTs had trouble generating surge against the run, especially when Floyd was out, and I do think that we need a better that can collapse the pocket and stop the run, so I don't think we can justify spending a 1st round pick on that need, but I would like to see them address that.

As for Munnerlyn, he did have a rough season and admitted that he didn't listen to the coaches as much as he should. I think if we had better depth at corner, he could be a candidate to be cut, but we don't so I think he'll get another chance. I could see them trying to signing a number 2 corner in free agency and maybe moving Munnerlyn to the slot full time. The top of the draft isn't great for corners right now, so it's not a need they are likely to address early. They could potentially draft Landon Collins is he slides to 11 and if they upgraded at safety, then it would take pressure off of the corners.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Mariota going to get crunched in the NFL if he plays like this.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Royce Freeman owns really hard

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Winston just eyefucks his receivers he's staring them down so hard.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

davecrazy posted:

Mariota going to get crunched in the NFL if he plays like this.

Making a lot of bad throws under pressure.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Volkerball posted:

Making a lot of bad throws under pressure.

Always has

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Bucs are hosed.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Serious question, what would it take for a QB to not go like top 10 this year? It seems like there are plenty of teams desperate enough to take them, but how bad would these guys have to be from this point on to not get picked early?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Getting arrested for a class A felony.

• Locked thread